UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a looong time since I followed a UK trial; is the format generally

Prosecution submit evidence chronologically, where that is uncontested, that can be done via statement.

If a witness appears in person, the defence can question them after the prosecution has lead them through the evidence.

Can the Prosecution summon the defendant as a “witness” or is he classed as a defence witness and can only take the stand if the defence decide that he’s not going to harm their case in which case the defence attempt to pick holes in recorded testimony such as police interviews?

I blame watching US court scenes for my confusion!

ETA so if above correct, the police CCTV man could be first to be cross-examined by defence? What would they try and throw doubt on?

Last edited:
For those who aren't aware, parts of Northern England (including Sheffield) have an amber weather warning for rain from today until noon on Thursday. Sheffield is notorious for flooding in bad weather, so I'm hoping the rain won't cause any more delays over the next few days.

10:39
Trial resumes for Day 4
The trial has now resumed.

Justice Lambert is now sitting, Pawel Relowicz has been brought to the dock and is accompanied by three dock officers.

The jury are being brought up into the court.

We are expecting Det Cons Grandidge, the officer in charge of the CCTV footage in the case, to continue his evidence this morning.

Trial updates as CCTV unpicks Relowicz's moves on night Libby died

10:52
CCTV shows how Libby and Relowicz's paths met that night
After the footage of Libby outside The Welly, the jury is now being shown an interactive map of where both Libby and Relowicz were at the same time.

Det Cons Grandidge is showing a clip which shows Relowicz driving from Cranbrook Avenue to Haworth Street - taking in Cottingham Road, Newland Avenue and Alexandra Road.

The footage starts at 11.26pm on January 31 - almost the exact same time Libby was seen leaving Welly.

Relowicz can be seen arriving in Haworth Street at 11.52pm.

But they have CCTV of him at Tesco on the 31st
I have no idea if he shared the car but that's the implication I'm picking up from the prosecutor's words. Two clips of him driving the car is better than one (imo), in establishing patterns and likelihood, where you have a car driving around at other times relevant to the crime but you can't see who is driving.

This in relation to 31st -

"Mr Wright said: "This footage is important because it confirms it was this defendant driving that vehicle that night."

Prosecution submit evidence chronologically, where that is uncontested, that can be done via statement.

If a witness appears in person, the defence can question them after the prosecution has lead them through the evidence.

Can the Prosecution summon the defendant as a “witness” or is he classed as a defence witness and can only take the stand if the defence decide that he’s not going to harm their case in which case the defence attempt to pick holes in recorded testimony such as police interviews?

ETA so if above correct, the police CCTV man could be first to be cross-examined by defence? What would they try and throw doubt on?

I wasn't a trial lawyer - but here are my best answers and hazy recollections

1. Typically there are a large number of exhibits which are just placed or read into evidence uncontested. Examples are things like mobile records, proof of car ownership etc etc. In general the prosecution must present the entire factual chain of evidence, even where the defence intends to accept numerous aspects.

To speed up trial process, numerous aspects are agreed in advance - this removes the need to argue about basic facts. So for example, even though PR admits it, the prosecution still needs to prove PR was the owner, and driver of the car in question. So they might produce the certificate from the relevant authority showing who is the owner of the car with the relevant registration for example. This evidence can just be entered into the record - the defence doesn't challenge it. Also because PR admits he was in fact the driver, there is no need for a witness on this point.

2. Where a witness is called for direct testimony, the other side can then cross examine, and then comes redirect (if necessary)

3. The accused cannot be compelled to testify by the prosecution (right to silence).

The danger of the accused testifying in this instance, is his version will be cross examined, based on his inconsistent prior statements. One of the challenges for the defence, is without testimony from the accused, they have no way of advancing a version, as only PR was present in the last moments of Libby's life.

4. I don't really think the CCTV itself will be challenged directly. Rather, the defence will try to claim other explanations for what is seen.

Last edited:
11:12
Relowicz's car parks up in Haworth Street
The footage now being shown to the court is from O&E Electrical on Haworth Street.

It shows the headlights of a silver Astra car parking next to the business at 11.52pm.

Det Cons Grandidge says the car did not move from that position until Libby was in it.

Yes that's basically the outline.
Prosecution put forward their case - Defence can cross examine any prosecution witnesses during this time.
Uncontested evidence can be given as statements.
Defence put forward their case - Prosecution cross examine any witnesses during this time.
Prosecution give closing speech
Defence give closing speech
Judge sums up
Jury out

Prosecution cannot call the Defendant. It is up to him/her/their Counsel as to whether or not they give evidence.

No, the defendant can't be compelled to testify.

He has the right to take the stand even if his barrister advises against it.

Prosecution goes first, and defence can cross-examine the prosecution witnesses. Then when prosecution has closed its case the defence case starts, and they can call witnesses who prosecution can cross-examine.

Defence might try to show that the prosecution has been selective with cctv cameras, ie not collected some footage which might have aided the defence. But I think it's unlikely. Usually these types of witnesses are just to get cctv footage in the court record.

11:34
Footage shows Libby falling to the ground
Footage being shown to the jury shows the taxi driving Libby home, heading from Beverley Road and into Wellesley Avenue, arriving at 11.29pm.

Another clip shows Libby walking south on Beverley Road, crossing over the road, and walking towards the Haworth Street entrance, swaying from left to right as she does so.

Footage from a camera looking at Beverley Road with Haworth Street on the left and Beresford Avenue on the right is being shown to the jury.

On the footage, Libby can clearly be seen falling to the ground close to the bus stop near to Haworth Street.

I have no idea if he shared the car but that's the implication I'm picking up from the prosecutor's words. Two clips of him driving the car is better than one (imo), in establishing patterns and likelihood, where you have a car driving around at other times relevant to the crime but you can't see who is driving.

This in relation to 31st -

"Mr Wright said: "This footage is important because it confirms it was this defendant driving that vehicle that night."

yes this is basic procedure

I recall on my bar training that our instructor filled us with terror about the possibility of forgetting to prove a basic aspect of the evidential chain - if you make that mistake, the defence could move for the case to be dismissed.

Not something TV shows ever dwell on!

11:37
CCTV of Roland Jacobs and Alan Jones stopping to help
In footage taken from a dash cam camera by a passing motorist, Libby can be clearly seen lying on the floor close to the entrance of Haworth Street.

The footage being shown to the jury shows Mr Jones stopping the car with Mr Jacobs getting out to help Libby, who he saw lying on the floor.

It shows the two men leaving Libby on the bench after she refused their help.

More footage shows Lorna Allen approaching Libby at 11.52pm before leaving.

11:43
Footage shows another car arriving while Relowicz is present
Neither Relowicz or Libby are present in these three clips, but they capture a Renault Scenic arriving in the street at 11.56pm.

Det Cons Grandidge says: “Mr Relowicz’s car was there at the time. The footage shows the car driving towards the bollards on Haworth Street. We had to identify other vehicles. I believe we have spoken to the driver of that vehicle.”

He added that the car left at around the time Mr Handisides heard Libby shouting, ‘Don’t leave me.’

11:44
CCTV from 11.57pm to 12.08am
Footage being shown to the court between these times will “not show vehicles but people getting in and out of vehicles,” Richard Wright QC has told the jury.

One clip shows Relowicz getting out of the silver Astra.

The second shows Relowicz “stalking” Libby, crossing Beverley Road and entering Beresford Avenue - apparently ignoring her at this point.

He can then be seen leaving Beresford Avenue and “hugging” the walls before emerging from the shadows, darting across the road to intercept Libby as she walks into the grounds of the Endsleigh Centre.

He then appears to disappear into the grounds of the Endsleigh Centre.

11:45
Chilling footage shows Relowicz and Libby walking together
At 12.01am, Relowicz and Libby can be seen emerging from the Endsleigh Centre grounds after just 58 seconds in there.

CCTV footage shows them walking along Beverley Road to the bus stop where Libby can be seen “swaying from side to side.”

Det Cons Grandidge says Relowicz is within touching distance of Libby at this point.

The two then enter Haworth Street, although the CCTV is unable to see them at this point as “it is too dark to see.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member