UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One last one for today!
Logan Mwangi murder trial latest as mum admits 'selfish' lies

20KEY EVENT
Evidence in the case concludes
Addressing the jury Mrs Justice Jefford said: “We have now after a number of weeks reached the point where we have heard all the evidence in this case.

“Before I send you away today let me tell you what is going to happen next and give you an estimate how long it’s going to take.

“We are going to go beyond [the end of next week] and I am going to have to ask you to come back after Easter. At this point the next thing that will happen is I will give you directions on the law.”

The judge said the jury will be asked to return at 11am on Monday when that will take place.

After those directions have been given the judge said the prosecutor and each of the defence barristers will deliver a closing speech, which is estimated to finish on Wednesday.

Mrs Justice Jefford said she was not inclined to begin summing up the case until after Easter so that process will begin on Tuesday, April 19.

Once the summing up process has been completed the jury will be sent out to deliberate on their verdicts.

The trial will resume at 11am on Monday.

From the reports, it does seem that AW's cross examination is much rougher. It could be that there's more material to work with, lots of conflicting statements. It could be that in order for a jury to convict a mother murdering her child, the prosecutor needs to bring it home. It wasn't momentary or accidental what happened to Logan, but a pattern of abuse by all three including the mother.

I think it's because AW is the weak link in the defence. JC is experienced in this, he's controlled, he knows how to play the game. AW is over emotional, a little prod in the right place and she WILL incriminate herself and the others.

Is anyone else wondering why AW's defence team didn't introduce her claim that JC or Y must have jumped the wall to evade the CCTV and turned the bedroom lights on and off?

I'm thinking that had the defence introduced it, the prosecution would have been able to disprove the possibility. Whereas if AW just casually drops it in under cross examination (as she did) then the thought is planted in the jury's minds without needing to be disproved.

A long winded way of me saying IMO/MOO she made it up and IF there was any real chance that the bedroom light going on could have been down to JC or Y sneaking in then her defence would surely have jumped on it.

Also, I don't know if it's usual but there were no defence witnesses at all apart from the defendants.

In many way though this sad case is straightforward. I'd follow the forensic evidence and the reports of police and doctors. None of their testimony fits with known facts about Logan's condition when found. The timings are all wrong. He got up in the night to go to the bathroom. No he didn't. The child was demanding attention and smirking, sent to the naughty corner. BS. Once someone lies they're a liar and clearly can't be relied upon. Hope the jury follows the physical evidence.
Does anyone know what sort of sentences they could receive?

In many way though this sad case is straightforward. I'd follow the forensic evidence and the reports of police and doctors. None of their testimony fits with known facts about Logan's condition when found. The timings are all wrong. He got up in the night to go to the bathroom. No he didn't. The child was demanding attention and smirking, sent to the naughty corner. BS. Once someone lies they're a liar and clearly can't be relied upon. Hope the jury follows the physical evidence.
Does anyone know what sort of sentences they could receive?
Murder is life

It’s going to be interesting summing up - presumably the boy’s team are going with lack of evidence, JC’s idea seems to be that AW did something that night that they all covered up and AW has gone for JC did the whole thing while she was asleep and she couldn’t have anticipated it.

I guess the crown is saying that all three attacked L at various times, all three knew he was in a very bad way and all three covered it up.

For everyone’s information the tv programme by itv wales is ‘code blue’ they have a contract with swp. They did 2 programmes a few years back covering the murder investigation team. This terrible crime will be featured in their next series (I don’t believe this is right, I don’t think anyone would want to watch a documentary on the murder of a child) but that is just my thoughts.
coverage of the trial has been incredibly informative and the regular posters must be traumatised by having done so.

My opinion is all 3 are responsible and their actions contributed to the tragic death of LM. In some way I’d argue joint enterprise, they all assisted each other in their actions?

Just my opinion! What do I know?

Is anyone else wondering why AW's defence team didn't introduce her claim that JC or Y must have jumped the wall to evade the CCTV and turned the bedroom lights on and off?

I'm thinking that had the defence introduced it, the prosecution would have been able to disprove the possibility. Whereas if AW just casually drops it in under cross examination (as she did) then the thought is planted in the jury's minds without needing to be disproved.

A long winded way of me saying IMO/MOO she made it up and IF there was any real chance that the bedroom light going on could have been down to JC or Y sneaking in then her defence would surely have jumped on it.

Also, I don't know if it's usual but there were no defence witnesses at all apart from the defendants.
From what I can gage, they would have been ripped apart for that. All the physical evidence which the jury have been shown during the evidence AW states she was sleeping.
Had they introduced it as a defence point the prosecution would have been free to ‘really’ challenge it.

For everyone’s information the tv programme by itv wales is ‘code blue’ they have a contract with swp. They did 2 programmes a few years back covering the murder investigation team. This terrible crime will be featured in their next series (I don’t believe this is right, I don’t think anyone would want to watch a documentary on the murder of a child) but that is just my thoughts.
coverage of the trial has been incredibly informative and the regular posters must be traumatised by having done so.

My opinion is all 3 are responsible and their actions contributed to the tragic death of LM. In some way I’d argue joint enterprise, they all assisted each other in their actions?

Hi, you're new here then :D Welcome to WS.

I cannot think that the jury will believe either JC or the youth rushed back to the house,jumped over a wall, rather than using their normal route ,just to put the lights on and off and twitch the curtains.

It is up to the Prosecution to prove their case, not for the Defence to provide answers as to why anything happened.
Of course AW did provide an explanation when asked, but there is no point or reason for her defence to introduce the subject.

Re the witnesses. It is fairly common for there to be no defence witnesses other than the accused.
Pre trial, Prosecution and Defence go through the list of witnesses and, more often than not, it is possible for Prosecution to call all the necessary witnesses. Makes the narrative flow easier and Defence of course have the right to question each witness at that time.
Exceptions would be if Defence want to call character witnesses for their clients.

edited to add - or call forensics experts who disagree with the Prosecution experts.

Thanks Sooty for the updates !

I feel so sorry for the jury having to make a decision on this, can’t make sense of this one at all.

I've followed far too many cases here over the last 7 - 8 years and one of the things I've learned to do is, trust the Jury.

They get to see all the evidence, every single word spoken, to see and hear the defendants ... so much more than we get when following along.

I have to trust that they'll get it right and know what to do.

I think we're in for a looooong deliberation!

I cannot think that the jury will believe either JC or the youth rushed back to the house,jumped over a wall, rather than using their normal route ,just to put the lights on and off and twitch the curtains.

If they did sneak back, it would suggest they knew about the CCTV camera... but they clearly didn't or they wouldn't have been caught carrying Logan out in the first place.

I see it much more as a documentary about all the work that goes on behind the scenes to bring a murderer/s to justice. It also can highlight what elements combined together to cause someone to commit murder.

I would certainly be interested in watching the documentary when it is broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper