GUILTY UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
10:32PHILIP DEWEY
Trial resumes - Judge goes through evidence of HMP Eastwood inmate
The trial resumes.

Mrs Justice Jefford continues to sum up the evidence heard during the course of the trial.

The judge turns to the evidence of Joanne Brooks, an inmate at HMP Eastwood Park. She knew Williamson as “Angie” and worked as a cleaner with the defendant.

Ms Brooks said Williamson asked if she had heard of her and knew who she was. She said Williamson said: “Have you heard of the Bridgend baby, the boy who was thrown in the river. I’m his mother.”

Ms Brooks said Williamson told her she had been offered a change of identity and asked her if she wanted to see a picture of Logan. She said she showed no emotion.

She said Williamson seemed to revel in the notoriety of being the mother of the “Bridgend baby”.

Ms Brooks said Williamson told her details of the autopsy and told her Cole had beaten Logan but had been stopped from running away by the youth defendant.

The inmate said Williamson gave differing accounts about what happened and about her attendance at Logan’s funeral but told Ms Brooks “the lights would prove her innocence”.

She said after Williamson was charged with murder she asked others on the wing to support her, and said she seemed excited about television coverage.

Ms Brooks said Williamson collapsed on the floor after being charged with murder but was later seen watching Married at First Australia, eating snacks and laughing.

In cross-examination, Ms Brooks denied probing Williamson for information and picking up bits and pieces.

Logan Mwangi murder trial - live updates

The summing up reminds me of how bizarre I found the inclusion of this witness at the time.

I think testimony from fellow prisoners should only be used when pivotal and unavailable from any other source, which this particular evidence does not even nearly qualify as, imo. I'm thinking of confessions or information about the whereabouts of murder weapons or human remains, for example, but not the queen bee of the remand wing's subjective and non-expert impressions of the defendant's demeanour fgs.

Almost by definition, prisoners are in a position of extreme powerlessness, which must make the opportunity to exercise power and influence over another prisoner's fate irresistibly appealing. They will also have their own reasons for wanting to appear powerful to the rest of the prison community. Similarly, AW will have been in a newly powerless and vulnerable position in prison that few of us here can even imagine. Who is to say why she might have said what she said or behaved as she did, or what part of any of that might be regarded as representative of 'the truth' about her as opposed to a coping mechanism, a survival technique, or anything else. The idea that some other woman who happens to be held in the same wing as AW will necessarily even be telling the truth about what she said and how she said it should be regarded with a high degree of caution imo, still less the idea that she has any particular insight into what it might all mean.

For me, this testimony has the status of unreliable gossip and I don't really understand why it was even given a moment's serious consideration. I was uncomfortable hearing it the first time round, and it sticks out like a sore thumb to me again today, reading it in the summing up. I think it actively undermines the prosecution's case, given the wealth of more reliable evidence against AW, because it makes me wonder why on earth they included it. The only conclusion I can reach is that they're less confident about their case against her than they'd like to admit.

JMO

Interview evidence
In another interview following the discovery of the pyjama top, Williamson was asked about the incident involving the youth on Thursday, July 29.

She said she and Cole had been arguing because he was strict on Logan. She said she had enough and tried to walk out but Cole and the youth wouldn’t let her. Because they were making a scene she had to go back into the house.

She initially said Cole had clipped Logan but changed her story and said Cole had punched Logan in the stomach

She said: “Jay is going to have me killed for saying this.”

She said Cole said “The only way this boy understands is pain”. She said she didn’t think Logan was seriously hurt and didn’t report it.

She said Cole told her he was in the SAS and could have her killed.

Wiliamson said Cole hit Logan three or four times and the youth had hit Logan as well, and swept him to the floor.

Williamson's evidence
Mrs Justice Jefford now turns to Williamson’s evidence given in court.

During her evidence, she said: “I loved the bones of that boy” and said she and Logan “did everything together”.

She said she met Cole in 2019 and they began a relationship and described themselves as the “perfect little family”.

After the visit to London to meet with Ben Mwangi, Williamson said Cole interrogated her and Logan. She said this argument went on until Logan’s death

She said her relationship with her mother deteriorated and by Christmas 2019 their relationship was non-existent.

Williamson claimed Cole grabbed her by the throat and pushed her after she returned from a stay in hospital.

She said Cole told her he was in the SAS and he could disappear or find people without any issues. He also claimed he had an IPP sentence and if he did anything he could get a sentence of 99 years.

Mrs Justice Jefford adjourns for a lunch break until 2pm, when she will continue summing up the evidence.

Thanks for all the updates @SpursGyal and Neteditor - just catching up now

A quick reminder re the Jury Polls -
JC's poll is due to close tomorrow
AW's poll closes on Friday
youth and PTCJ on Saturday.

They can all be found in the members only section The Parking Lot.

Also, as I was asked the question -
Vote as you would if you were on the Jury.
This is not a poll for how you think the Jury in Cardiff will vote.

Last edited:
Looking at the medical evidence again. Am I right in thinking there is an approximate 90 minute to 6 hour window (but could be more or less) for the infliction of the fatal injuries?

Yes, I think so. Plus the head injury which was caused no later than 36 hours prior to death.
I do think, as has been said, AW's testimony moved many of Thursday's events/abuse onto the Friday evening, as she knew it would be hard to convince people that she had not noticed Logan's injuries and obvious distress for such a long time.

Thanks for all the updates @SpursGyal and Neteditor - just catching up now

A quick reminder re the Jury Polls -
JC's poll is due to close tomorrow
AW's poll closes on Friday
youth and PTCJ on Saturday.

They can all be found in the members only section The Parking Lot.

Also, as I was asked the question -
Vote as you would if you were on the Jury.
This is not a poll for how you think the Jury in Cardiff will vote.
I can't find The Parking Lot

14:29 Philip Dewey
Trial resumes

The trial resumes.

Mrs Justice Jefford addresses the jury and tells them things may have been said by Williamson and Cole in the dock.

She says if anything was said they should ignore it as it is not evidence or relevant to their consideration.

Oooh! Sounds as though there may have been some disruption to the proceedings.

14:29 Philip Dewey
Trial resumes

The trial resumes.

Mrs Justice Jefford addresses the jury and tells them things may have been said by Williamson and Cole in the dock.

She says if anything was said they should ignore it as it is not evidence or relevant to their consideration.

Oooh! Sounds as though there may have been some disruption to the proceedings.

I'm surprised they are even allowed to communicate with each other.

14:42Benjamin Wright

Williamson's evidence

The judge continues to summarise the evidence of Angharad Williamson.

The defendant talked about Logan breaking his arm and said she was scared of going to hospital because of Covid but Cole put Logan’s arm back into place and she gave him Calpol.

She said she took the blame after Logan was taken to school the next day because it was her decision. In January 2021, she claimed the youth defendant had confessed to her he pushed Logan down the stairs.

When asked about Logan’s punishment, she said she got the idea for the naughty corner from Nanny 911. She said Cole wouldn’t like it when she hugged him because he said she was rewarding bad behaviour and he accused Logan of giving him “dirty looks”.

She said there were frequent arguments between her and Cole, and he would blame Logan for these arguments.

Williamson said Logan had a stammer which became worse and he would flinch when Cole shouted at him.

After Logan tested positive for Covid, he was isolated in his room and he was given books, toys and “every Paw Patrol toy” to play with. She wanted to open the window but Cole refused saying it would “blow Covid around the flat”.

Last edited:
14:46Philip Dewey

Williamson’s evidence: 'The alleged attack on Logan by Cole and the youth'
The judge summarises Williamson’s evidence about the alleged attack on Logan by Cole and the youth.

She said there had been a sticky patch under her stereo and questioned Cole about this. He then pulled Logan out of his bedroom, he stuttered and Cole punched him twice to the stomach.

She said Cole told the youth to sweep Logan which he did and pushed his head to the ground.
The defendant said she told Logan to go to his room and went to get her phone to get help but Cole prevented her.
She said she ran and said she wanted to leave for good. She claimed Cole said: “If we break up because of Logan I’ll kill him”.

She said she went outside and thought she “made enough of a racket” for someone to help, but they didn’t.

She said Cole had a red mark on his tummy but she gave him Calpol and cuddled him up.

14:53Philip Dewey

July 30

On July 30, Williamson said Logan was refusing to shower and he went to sleep about 10pm. After taking Logan to toilet she then took her medication and fell asleep.

She woke up at 5.30am and found Logan was missing and became hysterical. She called the police.

Williamson denied her actions as a sham, saying “You can’t fake feelings like that.”

She said she was told Logan was dead but couldn’t believe it and packed a bag for the hospital.

When she got to the hospital, she said she couldn’t walk with him to the mortuary but was told she could see him after the autopsy and could change him into fresh clothes. She said she was unhappy with police at the hospital because she felt like she was being interrogated.

Williamson said she didn’t tell police in her first interviews about the attack on Logan because she was scared of Cole and thought she would be killed.

She denied playing any part in her son’s death, of being up in the night and of being aware of Cole removing Logan’s body from the flat.

15:16KEY EVENT
Jury retires to consider verdicts
Mrs Justice Jefford has finished her summing up of the case.

She takes the jury through the Route to Verdict document which they will be using to assist their deliberations.

The judge said: “We have now finally come to the point after many weeks of asking you to retire to consider your verdicts.”

She asks the jury to return separate verdicts for each defendant and asks them to try to return unanimous verdicts, but there could come a point when majority verdicts would be accepted.

There is no time pressure on the jury, who will be given as long as they need. If a verdict has not been reached by 4.30pm today, the jury will be sent home for the day and asked to come back tomorrow.

At 3.15pm, the jury bailiffs are sworn and the jury formally retires to consider its verdicts.

We’ll be back when verdicts have been reached

Yeah - Finally

15:16KEY EVENT

Jury retires to consider verdicts

Mrs Justice Jefford has finished her summing up of the case.

She takes the jury through the Route to Verdict document which they will be using to assist their deliberations.

The judge said: “We have now finally come to the point after many weeks of asking you to retire to consider your verdicts.”

She asks the jury to return separate verdicts for each defendant and asks them to try to return unanimous verdicts, but there could come a point when majority verdicts would be accepted.

There is no time pressure on the jury, who will be given as long as they need. If a verdict has not been reached by 4.30pm today, the jury will be sent home for the day and asked to come back tomorrow.

At 3.15pm, the jury bailiffs are sworn and the jury formally retires to consider its verdicts.

We’ll be back when verdicts have been reached

Logan Mwangi murder trial - live updates as jury begins deliberations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members