Found Deceased UK - Nathan Cole, 32, frm Notting Hill, W London, said going to gig in Camden, but last seen 10.46pm on 158 bus Black Horse Road, E17, 21 Jan 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Those are all the details I have. I tried a missing persons line but they said try the police on 101, but I find 101 virtually useless and just a means of putting the public at arms length. I have another couple of possibilities in mind and might do some exploration myself tomorrow. I also noticed an abandoned phone at Ponders End train station, which is a couple of stops from Meridian Water. The area isn't accessible too the public and is technically trespass, so the phone is probably still there.

[Snipped by me for focus]

All not far from the River Lea and the marshes.

There are other water courses, too, one of which skirts round the rear of the former IKEA site where Nathan's phone was last active and which (worryingly) appears to pass through a culvert for around 200 metres parallel to the North Circular. Although the area is very urban, I can image it is very challenging to carry out a search there.

There are other water courses, too, one of which skirts round the rear of the former IKEA site where Nathan's phone was last active and which (worryingly) appears to pass through a culvert for around 200 metres parallel to the North Circular. Although the area is very urban, I can image it is very challenging to carry out a search there.
Yes, I'm aware of that watercourse. I'm thinking to have a look tomorrow and in the woods in the Lea Valley Park near Ikea.

I've been having another think about this while studying the map. CCTV showed him in Banbury Rd which lies on the south Bank of Banbury Reservoir and I think his likely path was as follows:

Followed footpath West towards Wild Marsh East.
Accessed towpath on R Lea near the North apex of the marsh.
Headed north a few hundred yards to 'Chalk Bridge (footbridge).
Crossed to W bank and continued West towards and over Pymmes Brook and Travis Perkins (Leeside Rd) opp Ikea.

This is the most direct route between Banbury Rd and the last known phone signal and follows a fair bit of woodland.

2 hours ago.
''Mr Cole’s family, who previously lived near the Walthamstow area, said his disappearance was “very out of character” as they appealed for information outside New Scotland Yard.

His father Eamonn Cole said: “I just want him to come home, he’s not in any trouble.

“It’s not unusual for him to be out on an evening, but it’s completely unprecedented for him to have been missing for so long.

“We all love him very, very much. He is loved by many people. We need him home.”

Luke Cole, his brother, said: “Nathan was the oldest of five children, we’re a big family. We’re very close and have always spent a lot of time together.

“He was a very outgoing person, even outside of the family. He would always make time for anyone, even homeless people and people who looked like they were in need. He always was a very selfless person.

“I urge anyone who has brothers or sisters to please keep a look out. This is very hard for us, we have lost one of our five now.”

His sister Hannah Cole said: “Nathan was a very gregarious person, he was very social and it was normal for him to be out late at night.

“Nathan wouldn’t do this. We’ve even done our own investigation, looking at his social media, texts and calls and his last transactions. He is always active on our WhatsApp group. Something has happened to him''.

Yes, I'm aware of that watercourse. I'm thinking to have a look tomorrow and in the woods in the Lea Valley Park near Ikea.
Thank you @Boatman. I'd be interested to learn what you observe in the area. I was using the Google live view to follow Nathan's footsteps on the route you outlined above. It was not a successful attempt using Google (views were up to 14 years old) but I could imagine the surroundings to be very quiet and peaceful during the daytime. Reading about the marshes / wetland online makes me think it is a refuge away from the busy, pressure-filled, competitive life of Central London. I'm from SE London and am unfamiliar with the Walthamstow area. Is that reservoir / Lea / marsh area known to have a reputation for anything apart from being quiet and peaceful? Some parts on Google live view looked like run-down insdustrial sites. It is a vast network of bodies of water up there. We have the Pool and Ravensbourne Rivers nearby but these are nothing in comparison to the vast water networks of Walthamstow.

He knows the area, he used to live there, so may well know little nooks and crannies and hidden places that many others wouldn't.

I do think though, after now 10 days, with no further sighting after that night, no activity since then or use of credit card, the outcome will not be positive.

I cycled down to the Marsh this morning. The was a police search underway and I had a look around on my own. They were checking the river (Lea) and presumably Pymmes Brook, though its difficult to check the culvert from the bank. I think the culvert would need to be walked with waders and official access. I did notice some CCTV alongside the industrial estate bordering Ikea, so presumably the police will check this. I had a look through some of the woodland on foot, but saw nothing significant. There are signs of people living in the woods but no-one was about.

Thank you @Boatman. I'd be interested to learn what you observe in the area. I was using the Google live view to follow Nathan's footsteps on the route you outlined above. It was not a successful attempt using Google (views were up to 14 years old) but I could imagine the surroundings to be very quiet and peaceful during the daytime. Reading about the marshes / wetland online makes me think it is a refuge away from the busy, pressure-filled, competitive life of Central London. I'm from SE London and am unfamiliar with the Walthamstow area. Is that reservoir / Lea / marsh area known to have a reputation for anything apart from being quiet and peaceful? Some parts on Google live view looked like run-down insdustrial sites. It is a vast network of bodies of water up there. We have the Pool and Ravensbourne Rivers nearby but these are nothing in comparison to the vast water networks of Walthamstow.
The wetlands/ marshes are fairly busy in the day, with runners, dog walkers, birds watchers etc. There are sometimes people living in the bushes in tents or 'benders'. At night I'd be wary as there are groups of drinkers and sometimes individuals on the marsh who seem to be just standing waiting.

Where the Marsh meets Leeside Rd the area is industrial estate and brownfield land. Its entirely non residential and the road is often used by flytippers. At the end of Leeside Rd which joins Angel Edmonton Rd (An A Road), there is a homeless person living in a small encampment on the corner of the Ikea site. I wonder whether they might have seen heard anything, but I think that's one for the police.

Feel so much for his family, really hope he is found safe and well. They must be so scared.
I hope we hear a positive update soon - I wonder how much searching of the area he was last seen has been done at this point - does anyone know?

Why is there no media coverage? Look at the media coverage for Nicola Bulley. It’s been front page news for a week. Why do some cases seem less important? Is it dependant on the family driving the story?

Why is there no media coverage? Look at the media coverage for Nicola Bulley. It’s been front page news for a week. Why do some cases seem less important? Is it dependant on the family driving the story?

I think certainly of a family exerts a strong campaign via SM and arranging searches, contacting press, it does keep a case high profile. But with NB it's the classic middle class white female mother that will always attract more interest - just look at the threads on here for her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisa0457
Back