UK - Nicholas Rossi, 34, aka Alahverdian aka Arthur Knight, faked death found alive in Glasgow , 15 Jan 2022 *extradited back to the US*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Extradition hearing finally underway:

Looks like he could be going to England before any transfer to the US:

This article says it still could take another couple of years while NR exhausts appeals, and a bit which I don't think I've read before:

Even if McFadyen orders Alahverdian to Utah, it could be another two to three years before all of his expected appeals are exhausted. “So, I’m anticipating it will literally take the maximum amount of time,” said Sandi Johnson, the deputy district attorney with the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office.

[...]

In April, Alahverdian — who was raised Catholic and once converted to Mormonism — announced he was a victim of antisemitism after converting to Judaism behind bars.

The rest of this article is behind a paywall.

Nicholas Rossi, the suspected rapist who is accused of faking his death and fleeing across the Atlantic to Britain, turned up to an extradition hearing wearing judicial robes, sparking concern that he is trying to masquerade as a lawyer.

US fugitive Nicholas Rossi donned a black legal gown for his extradition hearing in the latest bizarre stunt he has pulled in a Scots courtroom.

The 35-year-old was brought into Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Monday in his wheelchair wearing the flowing garment before sitting amongst his legal team.

[...]

Advocate depute Alan Cameron put it to Rossi that he was lying about being a man called Arthur Knight.

Rossi, using the bad Irish accent he has employed previously in court, replied: “I am not Nicholas Rossi. My name is Arthur Knight and I would be obliged if you would call me that.”

Rossi then referred to Mr Cameron as “my learned friend” - a courtesy extended between fellow lawyers during proceedings.

Dr Mundweil said she’d viewed CCTV last year of an incident when a door swung open and hit a prison officer in the face after Rossi allegedly struck it.

She said: “I suspected the door was kicked with his leg and Mr Rossi claims he’s paralysed.

“I actually saw the leg in the open door.”

Dr Mundweil said she’d examined Rossi and found his legs to be “well muscled”, adding they were “not the legs of a paraplegic”.

The court was told a decision was taken in prison not to “hoist or lift” Rossi into his wheelchair.

Dr Mundweil said Rossi would “throw himself out of his wheelchair” and staff would previously have to help him back into it.

Dr Mundweil said she’d viewed CCTV last year of an incident when a door swung open and hit a prison officer in the face after Rossi allegedly struck it.

She said: “I suspected the door was kicked with his leg and Mr Rossi claims he’s paralysed.

“I actually saw the leg in the open door.”

Dr Mundweil said she’d examined Rossi and found his legs to be “well muscled”, adding they were “not the legs of a paraplegic”.

The court was told a decision was taken in prison not to “hoist or lift” Rossi into his wheelchair.

Dr Mundweil said Rossi would “throw himself out of his wheelchair” and staff would previously have to help him back into it.

I know he's a horrible person all around, but it's garbage like this that makes it a dangerous world for ambulatory and nonparalysed wheelchair users. Tabloid media and fictional tv tells you anyone who uses a chair and stands or moves a leg is a faker, and random members of the public will approach and abuse you if they think you're a faker. (Partner is an ambulatory wheelchair user, so we have SEEN THINGS.) And who do abusers like that fall back on as "proof" of some widespread wheelchair user conspiracy? Creeps like this guy. I hope he goes down for everything he's accused of.

MOO

I wonder if he specifically claimed total lower limb paralysis? Wouldn't surprise me if the same short-circuited imagination that gave us a Scottish man with an Irish accent and a British name wouldn't be able to think of any other reasons someone might require the use of a wheelchair.

The court also heard from Dr Angela Cogan, a psychiatrist from the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow who assessed Mr Rossi's mental health while he was a patient there in December 2021.

She said she felt he "invited" diagnoses of psychiatric problems, but he did not appear to have any symptoms of mental health issues.

Rossi told the court he “can’t lift my arms above my head and keep them there” despite him regularly raising his arm fully for long periods in an effort to get the attention of various sheriffs during previous hearings.

Mr Bovey also asked him about Dr Mundweil’s evidence that Rossi stopped using an extra oxygen supply in February. The doctor said “healthy person” would give oxygen level readings of 98 or 99 per cent, and Rossi would give readings of 97 or 98.

Rossi told the court he had only “15 per cent lung capacity”.

[...]

Mr Cameron later asked Rossi what “family history” he would provide a psychiatrist attempting to come to a diagnosis.

Rossi said he would tell them he was Arthur Knight who was born in Dublin and had never visited the US. He added: “If I don’t prove it, I will look a fool and I don’t propose to look ridiculous.”

Mungo Bovey KC, acting for Rossi, told the court on Thursday he didn’t intend to call further witnesses. But Rossi, 35, exploded at the decision, telling the hearing: “I do. Counsel is dismissed.”

After consulting his client on Friday morning, Mr Bovey acceded to his client’s desire to call King in his defence. King said he was an inmate with Rossi in Saughton’s Hermiston Hall and claimed his pal, who is using a wheelchair, was “treated abysmally”.

King claimed there was an incident when Rossi was “lying on the floor” and staff wouldn’t help, telling him “You can walk, there’s nowt wrong with you.”

The sex offender claimed Rossi pleaded for help, adding: “They picked on him from there on. It was overkill. It was constant hounding. Every time he asked for help they would refuse.”

King told Mr Bovey he’d “never seen” Rossi walk, adding: “Staff said they were going to get the wheelchair and oxygen off him.”

Is he paying these lawyers? Where do he get his money from?
I'm pretty sure he'll be getting legal aid. I may be getting my cases mixed up but at one point I think NR wanted to represent himself and the judge/sheriff insisted on a properly qualified lawyer.

I don't see how he could afford it unless his wife is paying.

Fugitive Nicholas Rossi has racked up a £40,000 legal aid bill trying to stop his extradition back to America on rape charges.

[...]

The Scottish Legal Aid Board said the total cost of his extradition so far - £39,780 - did not include six recent days of court time earlier this month and last month meaning the final bill will be much higher.

A spokesman said: “Legislation set by the Scottish Parliament allows for legal aid in extradition cases if the applicant is financially eligible and it is in the interests of justice to make it available.

[...]

It took 10 months for the court to confirm he was Nicholas Rossi and now decision is due this Wednesday on his extradition.

I'm so cross about this man. I live in Glasgow and we pay tax in Scotland. This clown is costing us an absolute fortune in legal aid and other fees. How they identified him in the hospital is a bit of a mystery, but there is no doubt now over who he is and all the stories about how he has lost his "Irish" birth certificate and how they tattooed him in hospital are ridiculous. I hope the government sues him for all the money he is costing us, and also prosecutes him as an illegal immigrant.

Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard that Nicholas Rossi had been admitted to hospital on Sunday after testing positive for Covid.

[...]

The sheriff adjourned the case until 2 August.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeSpice
Back