Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a recovering alcoholic (not saying NB was one but clearly she has serious issues with alcohol) and from their own mouth they would never leave alcohol bottles laying around like that. They used to hide bottles in wellies, behind the fridge, in cereal boxes etc. They also kept a full time job while doing this. They went through portions of the day sober but their mind and mental health was in a complete spiral. Perhaps NB was sadly in the same situation.

It's interesting to know PA informed them of these 'vulnerabilities', I wonder if anyone else knew of them and they can be verified by other people who knew her well and / or medical records if necessary.
They would have known from the Jan 10th details.

'Lancashire Police said it was called to a concern for welfare report at her home last month.
Health professionals also attended on 10 January, the force said, adding no arrests were made but it was being investigated.' BBC

After this evening’s developments I think this now gives a realistic hope that Nicola will be still alive somewhere & I quoted the comment made right in the beginning by her close friend EW that she may of taken herself away to have some time on her own…

Also explains the approach by the LE to not waste too much, time, money & effort on the investigation when they knew what we do now

What incredibly sad news, made all the more sad that these personal demons have had to be shared with the world. Sadder still that the public thirst for a real life mystery and a desire to play detective has complicated this case. And yes, I fully get the irony of me posting that here.

Thoughts with everyone going through their own mental health struggles, life can be really hard… I just hope Nicola is found soon so her loved ones know she’s at peace.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've been reading the threads since day one, but have felt compelled to register and contribute based on the recently released information. I've found myself feeling desperately sad to find out Nicola struggled with alcohol. As an alcoholic myself (currently doing yet another reduction plan, after nearly two decades of struggling) I know how utterly hellish and desperate addiction can be. My heart breaks for her, and I can understand the police not wanting to divulge that information due to the hurtful and judgemental stereotypes some people have of those of us who struggle with it.

A few things which MOO are worth considering. Suddenly completely stopping (or even significantly reducing) alcohol consumption can lead someone who is physically dependent on it (not that I'm saying Nicola was, as we simply don't know) to experience DTs (delerium tremors) which can present as auditory/visual hallucinations, confusion etc. In extreme cases, it can also bring about sudden seizures. Which would obviously be even more dangerous if one occurred near water. Again, just from my own personal experiences and IMO. I'm not in any way saying that was the case here, but I'm assuming the police would have looked into that possibility.

Also, someone's tolerance level, if they have a previous history of alcohol issues, can increase very rapidly if they begin using alcohol again. It's a process called 'kindling.' Again, I know from my own personal experience how quickly tolerance can go up and how someone can still appear perfectly lucid, coherent and without any impaired motor functions even after a huge dose of alcohol. Again, IMO MOO, but another thing worth considering in terms of people speculating whether someone would have the capacity to drive, whether it would be obvious to those around them if someone had been drinking etc.

The press release states Nicola had begun struggling again recently. And again, from my personal experience, this is a hugely devastating blow psychologically to someone who struggles with alcohol issues. We work so hard to get them under control, can become sober for lengths of time, and then relapse despite constantly fighting every single second not to. There's such a huge amount of shame, guilt and hopelessness which goes along with that. Sometimes those feelings are so extreme, you believe the only way to finally be free of it is to remove yourself from the world and to end both your own suffering and the suffering of those who love you. Again, I'm not saying this is the case here, but it's definitely something which is a possibility. And one which breaks my heart for Nicola.

I hope so much that people are kind after this infomation has been released. Nobody knows the absolute hell of addiction unless they have been there themself, and I hope people don't judge Nicola for it, or make assumptions about the type of person she was. We are more than just our addiction, and we fight so hard to overcome it. Some of us simply don't make it, whether that's due to an accident whilst impaired, or actively by our own hand when the suffering becomes too much to bear.

Apologies for the lengthy post. Thank you for taking the time to read it. Wishing you all a peaceful evening, my friends.
I wish you all the best on your journey x

Really wish the police didn't release this. The public did not need to know and now it's out there. Her poor kids will see this down the line.

I've not seen the police do this sort of thing before. I feel they've handed this investigation fine up until now.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've been reading the threads since day one, but have felt compelled to register and contribute based on the recently released information. I've found myself feeling desperately sad to find out Nicola struggled with alcohol. As an alcoholic myself (currently doing yet another reduction plan, after nearly two decades of struggling) I know how utterly hellish and desperate addiction can be. My heart breaks for her, and I can understand the police not wanting to divulge that information due to the hurtful and judgemental stereotypes some people have of those of us who struggle with it.

A few things which MOO are worth considering. Suddenly completely stopping (or even significantly reducing) alcohol consumption can lead someone who is physically dependent on it (not that I'm saying Nicola was, as we simply don't know) to experience DTs (delerium tremors) which can present as auditory/visual hallucinations, confusion etc. In extreme cases, it can also bring about sudden seizures. Which would obviously be even more dangerous if one occurred near water. Again, just from my own personal experiences and IMO. I'm not in any way saying that was the case here, but I'm assuming the police would have looked into that possibility.

Also, someone's tolerance level, if they have a previous history of alcohol issues, can increase very rapidly if they begin using alcohol again. It's a process called 'kindling.' Again, I know from my own personal experience how quickly tolerance can go up and how someone can still appear perfectly lucid, coherent and without any impaired motor functions even after a huge dose of alcohol. Again, IMO MOO, but another thing worth considering in terms of people speculating whether someone would have the capacity to drive, whether it would be obvious to those around them if someone had been drinking etc.

The press release states Nicola had begun struggling again recently. And again, from my personal experience, this is a hugely devastating blow psychologically to someone who struggles with alcohol issues. We work so hard to get them under control, can become sober for lengths of time, and then relapse despite constantly fighting every single second not to. There's such a huge amount of shame, guilt and hopelessness which goes along with that. Sometimes those feelings are so extreme, you believe the only way to finally be free of it is to remove yourself from the world and to end both your own suffering and the suffering of those who love you. Again, I'm not saying this is the case here, but it's definitely something which is a possibility. And one which breaks my heart for Nicola.

I hope so much that people are kind after this infomation has been released. Nobody knows the absolute hell of addiction unless they have been there themself, and I hope people don't judge Nicola for it, or make assumptions about the type of person she was. We are more than just our addiction, and we fight so hard to overcome it. Some of us simply don't make it, whether that's due to an accident whilst impaired, or actively by our own hand when the suffering becomes too much to bear.

Apologies for the lengthy post. Thank you for taking the time to read it. Wishing you all a peaceful evening, my friends.
You are brave and absolutely it doesn't define you as a person, my sister was one of the kindest, loving people on this planet and very intelligent. She lost so much unfortunately cos of her addiction x

I don't really get how it would have changed PFs search, surely searching the river is searching the river- albeit he could mean the way he approached the media etc. JMO. Definitely seems an unprecedented move to release such info, but I guess the entire case has drawn an unprecedented amount of speculation.

Nicola Bulley: Missing mum suffered with ‘significant alcohol issues’ in the past, police say

Police say this caused some real challenges for Paul and the family.
“As a result of those issues, a response car staffed by both police and health professionals attended a report of concern for welfare at Nicola’s home address on January 10.”

It all makes a lot more sense now, doesn’t it?
From the article.
No arrests have been made.
Whatever can that mean?
MOO

well, they can release the earlier call out on 10th January. BUT if they had just said that they had attended a call for concern of welfare, you can bet your bottom dollar this would have started a whole new direction of conversation. I think the police made the correct call and possibly involved the family in the decision to release further information.

IMO, this additional information doesn't change anything for me. Nicola is still missing and those children need their mum.
Surely though, if she were alive and came back, the information they've released impacts her ability to find employment etc. They've effectively libelled her. Though I more agree than disagree that the info is good to have out, but it surely can only be justified if the police believe she is dead.

I wonder if the reason the grandaparents picked the children up from school the night before she vanished was to do with Nicola's drinking? I was always confused by why that was mentioned and reported.
I wondered if she wasn't able to drive/needed to sober up, so arranged for her parents to do the school run. Paul may have tackled her about it and there may have been words exchanged - which he probably shared with LE as soon as she disappeared.
She may have felt terrible shame about the incident three weeks before (whatever that was ) and if there was (understandable) strain on the marriage and the grandparents needed to be on call to help out, it may have made her feel worthless and "they'd all be better off without me". I think Paul's insistence that she was not in the river and asking her to "come home" was more indicative that he thought she had run away - and that maybe she was hiding out somewhere, feeling like she couldn't return because her problems might come to light. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay