Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are you suggesting is judging here, me? If that is the case you are completely incorrect.
Absolutely not directed at you, perhaps poorly expressed on my part and respectfully my apologies for any misinterpretation. As I said it was an excellent point raised that the release of LE's statement shows (arguably) little or no impact relating the continued search and location of NB. If indeed their doing so was a cobbled attempt to put an end to judgement and speculation, it potentially raises a whole different set of public criticism and accusation?

Last edited:
Zoë Billingham, the chairwoman of an NHS mental health trust who has previously worked in policing, told BBC News the update "smacked either of panic or perhaps even a deliberate decision on the part of the force to think how they can maintain their reputation".
"That's quite disturbing on so many fronts," she said.
"People are asking rightly how does the reproductive status of a woman who has gone missing relate to the bid to find her and would that same information be put in the public domain if she were a man."
She said Lancashire's chief constable or police and crime commissioner should "give the public some reassurance that the force is managing this whole issue in the right way".

don't want to. get at the police but telling us she. had issues was more than enough...as people have said this could have involved dizziness. etc. and would have explained why the. police were following the fallen in the water line.
it. was really up to pa, rather than the police, to. tell. the diving expert if. he. wanted him. to know---I can understand why he. didn't, but he must have realised he would not be getting full advice.
I think we. have to withdraw now, just. maintaining vigilance if we might come across her.
id like to think. shell be found alive, and get the treatment she needs but I just. reckon we should all go quiet and give the family privacy

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
I would hope that information of that level has been obtained by proper and correct procedures from people medically qualified to state this and not various "lay people". Although one might say this information adds an extra layer to the investigation I do have a feeling of unease about it being in the public domain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, I struggled to sleep last night after the "alcoholic menopausal" info released by the police. I am so damn ANGRY at them! If they hadn't kept harping on about "vulnerabilities" in yesterday morning's press conference they wouldn't have needed to release such personal information!

MOO: Because the police kept mentioning vulnerabilities yesterday morning a reporter/reporters went digging, found out what they were, called the press office and said "we know what Nicola's vulnerabilities are and we will publish them at X o'clock" (giving the police a chance to get in there first & release the info).

What has knowing the vulnerabilities got us? Or any witnesses? Nothing! It adds nothing of substance to the search or pleas for witnesses/dashcam footage. I thought personal information was just that - personal. I am so angry for Nicola's family & friends - releasing personal information that has zero bearing on the search/investigation was poor form by the police (at a time when they're hard to trust already thanks to recent events).

I totally agree with you and for me, I'm angry that the concepts of NB being an alcoholic who had relapsed plus mentally / emotionally unstable due to menopause represent misogynistic anti-feminist women hating tropes that have been used through the ages to dismiss and destroy women - they might as well have said she was 'hysterical' and had done.

The police could have simply said that she was struggling with personal health and emotional issues.

There's no evidence she's harmed herself or was drinking. She was with her dog, on a work call, after having dropped her girls off at school, she got them ready that morning as per the statement of PA. There's nothing to indicate she was being chaotic, drunken, or odd. There's no evidence she had decided to 'set the scene' for a disappearance - in which case it would also be a frankly bizarre scene to set.

In the UK two women per week are murdered by their partners. We have male rapists and even murderers working for the police force. Women and children are snatched, abducted, raped, murdered by male predators on a terrifying scale. I believe that NB has been murdered.

What is the precedent for a woman struggling with her mental health to 'set the scene' for disappearing by abandoning her dog and phone? When has that ever happened? Does it not sound more like she was 'removed from the scene' by someone who has done something nefarious with her? She was vulnerable, we know that now.

How long do we have to wait before people accept she's not in the water? Or are we no supposed to all feel satisfied that due to her 'alcoholism' and 'menopause' she's dead in the water. There is no logic, it makes no sense, but it sure buys straight into old patterns of hateful abuse of women.

don't want to. get at the police but telling us she. had issues was more than enough...as people have said this could have involved dizziness. etc. and would have explained why the. police were following the fallen in the water line.
it. was really up to pa, rather than the police, to. tell. the diving expert if. he. wanted him. to know---I can understand why he. didn't, but he must have realised he would not be getting full advice.
I think we. have to withdraw now, just. maintaining vigilance if we might come across her.
id like to think. shell be found alive, and get the treatment she needs but I just. reckon we should all go quiet and give the family privacy
apologies to the police if the press. had. the alcohol details...but. no one had really leaked anything before this...but. they could. just have said they wouldn't. discuss it. further

She was out of work for 9 years prior to 2022 when she got her current role as mortgage advisor. Quite a stretch to be unemployed but there's many variables that could attribute to her being out of work for so long
How do you know she was out of work for 9 years? Please provide a link with info.

IMO the reason the police took over her FB was so that the media couldn’t trawl her page looking for evidence of vulnerabilities. I think it was going to come out in the press so they got ahead of the game deleted photos and put the communication out themselves.

I totally agree with you and for me, I'm angry that the concepts of NB being an alcoholic who had relapsed plus mentally / emotionally unstable due to menopause represent misogynistic anti-feminist women hating tropes that have been used through the ages to dismiss and destroy women - they might as well have said she was 'hysterical' and had done.

The police could have simply said that she was struggling with personal health and emotional issues.

There's no evidence she's harmed herself or was drinking. She was with her dog, on a work call, after having dropped her girls off at school, she got them ready that morning as per the statement of PA. There's nothing to indicate she was being chaotic, drunken, or odd. There's no evidence she had decided to 'set the scene' for a disappearance - in which case it would also be a frankly bizarre scene to set.

In the UK two women per week are murdered by their partners. We have male rapists and even murderers working for the police force. Women and children are snatched, abducted, raped, murdered by male predators on a terrifying scale. I believe that NB has been murdered.

What is the precedent for a woman struggling with her mental health to 'set the scene' for disappearing by abandoning her dog and phone? When has that ever happened? Does it not sound more like she was 'removed from the scene' by someone who has done something nefarious with her? She was vulnerable, we know that now.

How long do we have to wait before people accept she's not in the water? Or are we no supposed to all feel satisfied that due to her 'alcoholism' and 'menopause' she's dead in the water. There is no logic, it makes no sense, but it sure buys straight into old patterns of hateful abuse of women
You have worded that better than I ever could. Nail on the head.

I'm angry that the concepts of NB being an alcoholic who had relapsed plus mentally / emotionally unstable due to menopause represent misogynistic anti-feminist women hating tropes that have been used through the ages to dismiss and destroy women.

RSBM

IMO, no-one has said NB is an alcoholic who has relapsed.
IMO, no-one has said NB is mentally or emotionally unstable due to menopause.
IMO, no-one has been misogynistic or anti-feminist or women-hating.
IMO, no-one is dismissing or destroying NB.

You think otherwise but your tone indicates an unhelpful confirmation bias to me. JMO.

How long do we have to wait before people accept she's not in the water? Or are we no supposed to all feel satisfied that due to her 'alcoholism' and 'menopause' she's dead in the water. There is no logic, it makes no sense, but it sure buys straight into old patterns of hateful abuse of women.
I couldn't agree more.

Just because she had alcohol problems and suffered with the menopause, doesn't mean that she can't be the victim of a crime.

It was totally unnecessary of the police to reveal that information and they made themselves look so unprofessional.

I don't think it's about accepting she's not in the water, the police have been actively looking into and pursuing other possibilities. As they have said their main working hypothesis is just that, it isn't a foregone conclusion as to which they ignore all other evidence- I'm not sure where people are getting the notion they had all their eggs in one basket or that they have been solely fixated on the river?

I do wonder if it is possible that Nicola had some food with her for Willow to aid a distraction. The Police released more information yesterday and it sounded like they had deemed her high risk on the basis of the details PA had provided to them regarding vulnerabilities when he first phoned them, the morning Nicola went missing. It will be interesting to see if any further revelations surface, by her own family, as to their opinion and perception. There are always two sides to a story and sadly, we don’t have Nicola’s side of things. It is a true saying that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. It is all too easy to be critical and put another person down but if that person is not here to defend themselves, there is only one side of the story being told.

I had assumed that NB's vulnerabilities were partly due to FB postings of her walks.
(above snipped by me)

JMO but I don’t think police would use the word “vulnerabilities” to refer to NB’s posting of her walks on FB or her public Strava routes etc, especially as they do not think there is foul play. I think the word “vulnerable” is fairly specifically used in these sorts of cases to mean personal/medical/psychological reasons and that kind of thing.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Nicola has been murdered though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member