Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer I came across a lady and her dog, with the dog in a frantic state in a big pond - an ex brick pit. The dog’s ball had gone in the water and he was desperately trying to retrieve it. The poor dog’s face was covered in mud as the ball seemed to be near the bank.

I couldn’t bear the dog being so distressed, so I offered to jump in and retrieve it. I sound incredibly stupid but I was convinced I’d be safe as it’s very near me and I’ve lived here for over 20 years. I thought it was shallower at the sides and although the bank was a similar distance to the river in this case, I thought I’d be fine.

I jumped in and when my feet hit the bottom it was so slippery, I just slid under the water. I couldn’t get a grip. The ball was under the bank, so I managed to grab that, but had to hand it to the lady as I couldn’t throw it. Trying to get out, with the bottom so slippery and the bank quite high above the water was terrifying. Despite it being summer, the water was very cold and I very quickly became very frightened and panicky. I couldn’t get a grip as the bottom of the pond seemed to disintegrate under me and without a firm footing, I couldn’t begin to pull myself out. I couldn’t get a grip on the bank either and it suddenly looked really high.

The lady was useless and there was no-one else around. God knows how I did, it (though I suspect it was sheer terror), but I managed to get out. There was grass to the edge of the pond, which gave me a bit of texture to grab onto. I’ve never been so scared in my life.

This was in summer and I was wearing shorts and a top, no coat, no boots etc. I took my shoes off before I jumped in. I’m afraid I can well imagine this happening to Nicola and her not being able to get out. She may fallen forward and her face would have been submerged, also she could have been further away from the bank. She was weighed down by her clothing and all alone. It may seem easy for her to get out, but I promise you, it’s extremely difficult. She wouldn’t have long before she was physically unable to move. The fear is overwhelming.

Sorry to ramble, but this has really upset me. Poor Nicola.

The FB thing, I think is just one of those details that wouldn't seem like anything normally but does now because of what has happened since last Friday... If I went missing tomorrow, I'm sure there would be many little things like that which could be interpreted as maybe being something but realistically it just isn't consequential

Perhaps there were unwanted comments?
Perhaps there were unwanted comments?
The comments leading up to December 7th are all very normal. If there were suddenly unwanted comments then again i'd be curious as to what and why. Regardless, there's a definite change on some level as of December 7th.

Last summer I came across a lady and her dog, with the dog in a frantic state in a big pond - an ex brick pit. The dog’s ball had gone in the water and he was desperately trying to retrieve it. The poor dog’s face was covered in mud as the ball seemed to be near the bank.

I couldn’t bear the dog being so distressed, so I offered to jump in and retrieve it. I sound incredibly stupid but I was convinced I’d be safe as it’s very near me and I’ve lived here for over 20 years. I thought it was shallower at the sides and although the bank was a similar distance to the river in this case, I thought I’d be fine.

I jumped in and when my feet hit the bottom it was so slippery, I just slid under the water. I couldn’t get a grip. The ball was under the bank, so I managed to grab that, but had to hand it to the lady as I couldn’t throw it. Trying to get out, with the bottom so slippery and the bank quite high above the water was terrifying. Despite it being summer, the water was very cold and I very quickly became very frightened and panicky. I couldn’t get a grip as the bottom of the pond seemed to disintegrate under me and without a firm footing, I couldn’t begin to pull myself out. I couldn’t get a grip on the bank either and it suddenly looked really high.

The lady was useless and there was no-one else around. God knows how I did, it (though I suspect it was sheer terror), but I managed to get out. There was grass to the edge of the pond, which gave me a bit of texture to grab onto. I’ve never been so scared in my life.

This was in summer and I was wearing shorts and a top, no coat, no boots etc. I took my shoes off before I jumped in. I’m afraid I can well imagine this happening to Nicola and her not being able to get out. She may fallen forward and her face would have been submerged, also she could have been further away from the bank. She was weighed down by her clothing and all alone. It may seem easy for her to get out, but I promise you, it’s extremely difficult. She wouldn’t have long before she was physically unable to move. The fear is overwhelming.

This sounds traumatising! This is very insightful though, thank you for sharing.

Even the senior officer said it was surprising dog had not entered the water.
And confirmed she was dry.
These dogs are water lovers, it's almost impossible to keep them out.
So I don't understand, UNLESS she was off on a chase and didn't witness Nicola falling in.
BUT that does not explain why Nicola went close enough to the bank to fall in..

AND, even if dog was off hunting and returned to find Nicola gone it's likely she would still have sensed Nicola was in the water and entered herself. (based on my personal knowledge of the breed.)

So that and the missing 10 minutes are in my mind other possibilities though I trust that PD and believe every word she said.
I liked their work before the presser but now I'm blown away completely.
Medical episode?

The FB thing, I think is just one of those details that wouldn't seem like anything normally but does now because of what has happened since last Friday... If I went missing tomorrow, I'm sure there would be many little things like that which could be interpreted as maybe being something but realistically it just isn't consequential
If her posts were now and again, i'd say the same, but they were both regular and consistent in terms of the time and the content. Why would that suddenly change so significantly ?

god that sounds so terrifying, thank god you got out. I can understand you feeling so upset about Nicola after your experience x

If her posts were now and again, i'd say the same, but they were both regular and consistent in terms of the time and the content. Why would that suddenly change so significantly ?
Seems like she just changed her privacy settings? I've done it myself when I've randomly realised about it. <modsnip - comments from SM are not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly my thoughts. Worries me someone quite intelligent with a lot of planning could be behind this disappearance and it's working perfectly for them so far.
Someone could have wanted to make it look like she she drowned in a freak accident leaving the scene perfect for the police and media and public to speculate as it was with the dog, harness and phone near the river like that. I do hope that police have considered this.

I'm sure, in the circumstances, the police do consider more elaborate theories - I imagine they always do in cases whereupon the missing person isn't found.

I think the police are correct that it's just a tragic accident. Cold water shock makes you gasp and if you fell head first you have filled you lungs with water and subsequently drowned. The fashion at the moment with coats are full length zipped up so id imagine that was another factor in the accident due to restricted movement on the legs. You wouldn't be able to do a full stride with your legs therefore likely falling likely head first. I think tragic accident perhaps made worse by possible coat scenario

Lancashire Constabulary - MFH Nicola Bulley - latest update

I think a lot of the issues here with the timeline and why it is still being questioned is that it is different on the latest news update from the police to what was said in the actual news confernce just adds to the confusion. IMO

For example:-

'Nicola, 45, was last seen on Friday morning (January 27th) at around 9.20am on the footpath by the river off Garstang Road.'

In the news conference it states that the phone was on the bench at 09.20 and she was last seen by the witness at 09.10.

Which one is correct ? Iam assuming the press conference timings but that has not been written down anywhere as it shows what is highlighted in italics. All these minutes matter. IMO

Last edited:
If NB didn’t leave the river area - what are the alternatives other than being in the river? The abandoned house opposite with the door in the 10ft wall. I assume police have checked there thoroughly now though. It looks as though you can get into allotment lane from the upper field area potentially? Are there any gaps in the hedge line? Just hoping there may be a chance she is alive somewhere. JMO.

Attachments

• 502F5CDA-7DA9-470C-ABAB-CD2ADE1E2DB5.jpeg
    502F5CDA-7DA9-470C-ABAB-CD2ADE1E2DB5.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 19
Yes, but why ? Why the sudden switch ? <modsnip - off topic>

I think we discussed she had shared a post asking about abandoned sheep or something <modsnip - SM comments are not allowed> When you revert back to private from public it doesn’t switch all your public posts to private you have to go through each one, annoyingly!

Of course this is just a theory, could be something else entirely but it would explain it jmo.

Last edited by a moderator:
So that’s 77 minutes from finding it to the first call being made. I’d quite like that timeline, for no other reason than curiosity.

Indeed, earlier on it appeared almost the opposite. People were saying they were surprised how quick the response was etc, which made it harder to accept the falling into the river idea. Made all the more confusing by various contradictory information from interviews with witnesses/friends of witnesses conducted by the tabloids.

It might be something certainly.

Her business Facebook page stopped posting on 7 December and then began again on 18 January.

Her personal page stops on 7 December and then nothing after. Possibly due to NB changing her privacy.

Am I correct that someone mentioned that earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke