Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is. I'm sure it looks different at different river heights.
Nice work.

I took a look back at April 2021 (when the photo was uploaded) and the river was around 10cm lower for most of the month at St Michael's. It does look like it might act as a bit of a dam which could cause silt to back up, but I have no clue how far upstream of it that would have an impact.

Looking at the muddy banks of the river and knowing she was wearing next wellingtons- one misplaced footstep and there will have been no traction. Unfortunately she wasn’t wearing decent wellingtons or walking boots- the grip on the boots she was wearing will have sadly been nill.

In a slightly different scenario, if Nicola had tripped and gone head over heels, her full-length gilet would have proven almost frictionless on the (presumably wet) grassy bank. It might also explain why there is so little evidence of skid marks, damaged foliage etc. on the bank.

Whilst i want to believe the sentiments of the press conference, i am struggling to shake off the feeling that there is something about this case which simply doesn't feel right. Tragic accidents happen all the time, but there is usually something (evidence at the scene, eye-witnesses etc) that give a fairly clear picture of how the tragedy unfolded. That is absent in this case.

I have found it particularly odd from the start that NB regularly posted on Facebook up until December 7th of last year. She posted something daily or every couple of days but on December 7th she abruptly stops posting. No further posts are made, not even on Christmas Day or during the festive season. That's almost a two month period. Her final post is a sale listing.

There are a number of other odd details, none of which i feel should be mentioned given what was said in the press conference, but these add to a general sense of something not making sense.

If this is an accident, it is truly tragic, and a very cold reflection on how quickly life can change. If however there is more to it, then i do hope the truth comes out.
NB may have changed the privacy settings on her Facebook so only friends could see them.

Interesting read in the Mirror - Friend of NB slams internet psychics and armchair detectives

That's why WS has such tight rules and has been regarded highly by LE in many cases.

Not just on social media sites but I've seen other sleuthing forums where the nastiness prevails, and where some of the "sleuths" on there themselves employed so called psychics.

Could the lack of marks be due to the fact that the ground was frosted? It was still quite early. What is the weather forecast for the area that morning? As anyone looked into this? JMO

Attachments

• 70D7642E-50AC-4C0F-9EEB-59B7F0FEF7CA.png
    70D7642E-50AC-4C0F-9EEB-59B7F0FEF7CA.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 21
Whilst i want to believe the sentiments of the press conference, i am struggling to shake off the feeling that there is something about this case which simply doesn't feel right. Tragic accidents happen all the time, but there is usually something (evidence at the scene, eye-witnesses etc) that give a fairly clear picture of how the tragedy unfolded. That is absent in this case.

I have found it particularly odd from the start that NB regularly posted on Facebook up until December 7th of last year. She posted something daily or every couple of days but on December 7th she abruptly stops posting. No further posts are made, not even on Christmas Day or during the festive season. That's almost a two month period. Her final post is a sale listing.

There are a number of other odd details, none of which i feel should be mentioned given what was said in the press conference, but these add to a general sense of something not making sense.

If this is an accident, it is truly tragic, and a very cold reflection on how quickly life can change. If however there is more to it, then i do hope the truth comes out.

I'd guess she probably put it back on private. But I have a friend who posts regularly for months and then nothing for months. I really wouldn't read anything into that, personally.

MOO! Hi I've been lurking because, this lady is the same age as me, her kids are the same age as mine, I'm a similar height and build, and my closest relative lives in Abbeystead. I want to cry everyday.

I understand the working theory of falling in the river, but we do a duck race on a much bigger and faster river than the Wyre every year. The ducks never make it to the end without poking. They sink, they get caught in reeds, they get beached on banks. I am finding it so hard to believe after a week of intense searching (and police, not amateurs looking for ducks) they haven't found ANYTHING. No hair, no shoe, not her car keys or rubbish from her pocket...not even the "ball"? I understand its tidal further down, but there's a weir and at least one island between the spot and the sea, and its not the Thames, its barely waist deep.

I have been watching with increased unease the timeline as well, as others have said, if you found a dog and a phone on a bench by a river, wouldn't you phone 999? It all seems a bit fluid, I'm not saying suspicious at all, I just think I won't be surprised if we find the phone and dog were found *advertiser censored* later than stated.

Finally today they said she was wearing a fitbit, and if I understood rightly the timeline and maps come from the phone details not witnesses. So I am presuming she never left the field according to her data line, as I believe you can reasonably track fitbits? But they are waterproof to like 50m so you can swim with them, so surely they would see her floating down the river?

The whole thing is so very very odd.
Very good points. And yes I agree with the Fitbit - I have one and it’s waterproof but it will only track if you have gps switched on. This might not be true for all models though. I’m hoping the digital forensics team can get an idea from it somehow. IMO.

NB was approx 10-15 mins into the walk when she logged into teams meeting. Then she was still on the meeting at the 9.10am sighting. So 30 mins of walking the dog. 10 mins later she’s apparently at the bench. So as she’s heading on her way back to where she started the walk and the meeting, she suddenly, 20 minutes into the meeting, decided to have a sit down, instead of carrying on the walk for another say 10-15 mins to where she started?
So after 40 mins of walking the dog next to the river with no incidents, within 10 mins of getting to the bench something happened that she ended up falling in the river? That surely is very unlucky.
I know the police are saying there’s a 10 min window but really the last physical sighting was 20mins before the dog was seen on its own. MOO

Interesting read in the Mirror - Friend of NB slams internet psychics and armchair detectives

It’s so difficult isn’t it, it’s human nature to speculate, the internet just makes it more visible and more personable as you forget the people who are closely effected will see it all.

I joined here due to the Leah Croucher thread, police were adamant she was purely a missing person, yet 3 years later she was discovered murdered in an unoccupied house close to her last sighting. There will always be those cases where the police got it terribly wrong, but they are human and can only go on evidence (didn’t want to appear critical of the police, who IMO seem to be doing a stellar job here).

Looking at the muddy banks of the river and knowing she was wearing next wellingtons- one misplaced footstep and there will have been no traction. Unfortunately she wasn’t wearing decent wellingtons or walking boots- the grip on the boots she was wearing will have sadly been nill.
But if it was muddy, then her footprints would be visible, i and the slip markings ,f it was dry then they wouldn't

Yes you are right about FB. posts,what changed her posting habit

NB may have changed the privacy settings on her Facebook so only friends could see them.
Possibly, but that in itself is still odd for a profile which has been so public. It's a very definite change in a well established pattern - from regular public posts to either no posts or private posts.

Possibly, but that in itself is still odd for a profile which has been so public. It's a very definite change in a well established pattern - from regular public posts to either no posts or private posts.
Perhaps there were unwanted comments?

This is true, but from my perspective if there was a third party then I'd like whoever they were to be caught. It's not so much about preferred options, as we have no control over what actually happened, it's just that whatever actually happened should be correctly identified.
This is exactly my thoughts. Worries me someone quite intelligent with a lot of planning could be behind this disappearance and it's working perfectly for them so far.
Someone could have wanted to make it look like she drowned in a freak accident leaving the scene perfect for the police and media and public to speculate as it was with the dog, harness and phone near the river like that. I do hope that police have more than just considered this and investigated this fully.
This is the most puzzling aspect for me. I assumed this was one of many similar tragic incidents where a devoted owner had drowned whilst trying to rescue their struggling dog from the water. But the dog wasn't in the water.
There is still hope she has gone missing by her own volition - it happens (from people simply wanting space, to the far more elaborate cases like the canoe guy...).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member