Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire), Jan 2023 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about what Insurance companies use for their basis on whether or not to pay out, if the policy has a suicide clause in it. I've no idea if one is relevant here(nor do I need to know) but I can see why they'd be very interested in the decision

The suicide clause (or suicide provision)

The suicide clause is the period of time following the start of the policy in which a pay out won’t be made if the cause of death is suicide.
This clause exists to protect the insurer and is designed to stop vulnerable individuals from suicide, for the purpose of securing a life insurance pay out.

The suicide clause in summary:
  • Defines the time period at the beginning of the policy in which if there’s an act of a suicide, a pay out won’t be made
  • The clause is typically 2 years, but can occasionally be 12 months, depending on the insurer
  • After this period, a full pay out is likely to be issued, even if the cause of death is suicide
  • The clause usually restarts if an existing life insurance policy is replaced with a new one

I copied just a fraction of that long article to save others the trouble of looking for what the h@ll the reporter is talking about. This is laughable. The idea that the press would have respected and held confidence is absurd. MOO

From the article:
"That issue was brought to bear during the Nicola Bulley investigation.

After weeks of fevered speculation, Lancashire Police disclosed deeply personal information about the missing mother, prompting outrage.

All this could have been avoided if officers had been honest with reporters from the outset about what they were facing.

Not so long ago, it was normal for detectives in high-profile cases to hold background briefings, taking journalists into their confidence to privately explain what they were thinking.

It was always strictly off-the-record and not for publication, but it helped crime journalists understand the difficulties of the investigation and informed our reporting.

If Lancashire Police had told reporters at the start that there were welfare concerns about Mrs Bulley, her disappearance might have been reported differently and details of her personal problems might have never come out."

I'm curious about what Insurance companies use for their basis on whether or not to pay out, if the policy has a suicide clause in it. I've no idea if one is relevant here(nor do I need to know) but I can see why they'd be very interested in the decision
That’s an interesting point. Does anyone on here have any knowledge of suicides and the criteria that are applied by insurers before making any life insurance pay-out?

The suicide clause (or suicide provision)

The suicide clause is the period of time following the start of the policy in which a pay out won’t be made if the cause of death is suicide.
This clause exists to protect the insurer and is designed to stop vulnerable individuals from suicide, for the purpose of securing a life insurance pay out.

The suicide clause in summary:
  • Defines the time period at the beginning of the policy in which if there’s an act of a suicide, a pay out won’t be made
  • The clause is typically 2 years, but can occasionally be 12 months, depending on the insurer
  • After this period, a full pay out is likely to be issued, even if the cause of death is suicide
  • The clause usually restarts if an existing life insurance policy is replaced with a new one
Thank you for posting. It’s interesting information.

I copied just a fraction of that long article to save others the trouble of looking for what the h@ll the reporter is talking about. This is laughable. The idea that the press would have respected and held confidence is absurd. MOO

From the article:
"That issue was brought to bear during the Nicola Bulley investigation.

After weeks of fevered speculation, Lancashire Police disclosed deeply personal information about the missing mother, prompting outrage.

All this could have been avoided if officers had been honest with reporters from the outset about what they were facing.

Not so long ago, it was normal for detectives in high-profile cases to hold background briefings, taking journalists into their confidence to privately explain what they were thinking.

It was always strictly off-the-record and not for publication, but it helped crime journalists understand the difficulties of the investigation and informed our reporting.

If Lancashire Police had told reporters at the start that there were welfare concerns about Mrs Bulley, her disappearance might have been reported differently and details of her personal problems might have never come out."

Any trust and confidence between the press and the police in the UK has long since broken down. You could probably put a pin in the News Of The World phone hacking scandal and draw down from there.

The police deserve a lot of the negative press they have received in recent years. Yet there have been a not insignificant number of stories I have seen where, when you dig into it, the negative slant was not simply accurate to what happened. Can't imagine that builds trust.

Take this article. Starts off by, listing the worst of UK police in recent years, adds soem unresolved inflammatory current cases, uses a court decision to restrict two officers named in a trial as an example of police not being transparent Then mentions that the recent MET report found 98% of officers asked thought negative media stories had an impact on public trust... Scoffs at that for a bit.

Finally gets to the point - that the police should improve relations with the press and start trusting them with off-the record confidential information. If they want humane reporting on such investigations.

You know, so the reporter's could be more sensitive and wouldn't have to unrelentingly hound her family and community for the smallest crumb of her private life. The police giving them what they wanted to try and stop this is of course terrible What were the poor reporter to do? Not turn NBs mental health and alcohol struggles into a lurid headline?

Last edited:
"If Lancashire Police had told reporters at the start that there were welfare concerns about Mrs Bulley, her disappearance might have been reported differently and details of her personal problems might have never come out.""

What? As if!

I have always had an incredibly bad feeling about this case. The cause of death has not yet been established.
I think it will be a relief once it is established as that will end any doubt. Maybe it is as straightforward as they are making out - it very well could be.

Last edited:
If you follow the person that captured the footage she has more to say than what was filmed. its a possibility the police divers could be working on behalf of the coroner, possibly testing a few things out including seeing if its possible for a person to travel over the weir. Just my opinion.

If you follow the person that captured the footage she has more to say than what was filmed. its a possibility the police divers could be working on behalf of the coroner, possibly testing a few things out including seeing if its possible for a person to travel over the weir. Just my opinion.
That was the first thing that ocurred to me too - that they were most likely testing out the feasibility of various scenarios. The claim that a diver was seen floating on his back near the weir (Lancashire Post video post 854) would seem to corroborate this imo.

Last edited:
seeing if its possible for a person to travel over the weir.
(Just using this post as a link to the discussion)
A deceased person and a live person's body are not the same when moving with a current, on the surface of the water. I sure hope that whoever is doing this exercise, if they are trying to see if a body would go over the weir, especially possibly a coroner without medical training, realizes that her body would not be at the surface until days after drowning. The body immediately sinks and comes back to the surface after the appearance of decomposition gases. A living male body is not a good comparison to the victim who most likely drowned days or a week before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinkeydave