UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The prosecution would of had their pick of expert witnesses at the beginning …. It’s poor wording I agree “ my kind of case “ but I think we are splitting hairs at this point faced with the overwhelming evidence we have heard over the last 5 months.
BM is doing what he’s paid to do which is to dissect and discredit wherever he can. The jury are not stupid - if we can feel the antagonism from the scant reporting then to witness it first hand will be very telling.
As for going to watch the trial no chance. It’s a completely closed court. Just reporters in a satellite court and that’s it.

The reporting seems to be getting worse the longer the trial goes on. I’m not sure I even trust what I think anymore as I’m conscious that we’re only hearing a fraction of what’s going on. I really hope the reporting improves when it’s the defence’s turn.

I’d also love to attend court but it’s too far for me. I’d love to know the general feeling amongst the people watching every day. But I think it would break my heart to see the poor families. JMO.
I'm definitely getting the same feeling. Reporting of what the defence might be saying seems rather lacking, to me.

MOO.

The prosecution would of had their pick of expert witnesses at the beginning …. It’s poor wording I agree “ my kind of case “ but I think we are splitting hairs at this point faced with the overwhelming evidence we have heard over the last 5 months.
BM is doing what he’s paid to do which is to dissect and discredit wherever he can. The jury are not stupid - if we can feel the antagonism from the scant reporting then to witness it first hand will be very telling.
Yup , pretty much how I see it. Myers is just doing his job, dirty as that might be at times, and I'm sure Dr Evans is used to that kind of tactic. In this case, various medical experts have, on the whole, come to the same or similar conclusions as Dr Evans, so the jury will take everything they've heard into consideration.

"Mr Myers accused the medic of 'touting for work' and asked whether he was asked 'to give them what they wanted'.

Dr Evans rejected the suggestion, telling the court he was an independent expert and accused Mr Myers of 'going on a wild goose chase'."

"Mr Myers accused the medic of 'touting for work' and asked whether he was asked 'to give them what they wanted'.

Dr Evans rejected the suggestion, telling the court he was an independent expert and accused Mr Myers of 'going on a wild goose chase'."

Tbh the NCA wouldn’t need to ask him to give them what they wanted if they knew he was prone to finding pote criminal activity anyway.

That would be kinda cool, to be honest. I did think about it ages ago when this all started. It would be very interesting to watch but it also may turn out to be very boring if you hit the wrong days, especially after a long travel.

I'll be honest, one of the other things which tended to put me off was the thought of "This is something of the utmost gravity of severity - is someone with no connection to anyone involved doing to right thing in going when others have a better justification for taking up a seat?". I'd be concerned as seeing it as some sort of weird spectator sport, but I do go back and forth on the issue.

I'd associate 'spectator sport' much more with those high octane, tabloid fodder, celeb-involved trials, the likes of Depp/Heard, Rooney/Vardy etc etc.

Bottom line, as heart-breaking and tragic as this case is, it's also, objectively, an incredibly fascinating and complex one so our interest is entirely guilt-free justified imo. I don't think you or anyone else should feel 'weird' by wanting to get a bit more up close and personal with it.

We all want to know more than we're being given here.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be important, after all he's a medical professional and not a public speaker. But the judge and jury are human and Myers obviously must think it will help sway them emotionally to be attacking Dr Evans like this.

It is pretty desperate though if the only thing your defense have is to attack the validity of the experts themselves, and not their findings.
The key thing is that experts do get things wrong. Miscarriages of justice happen. It is a vital part of the legal processes that the prosecutions case is strongly tested. This may come across as confrontational, but if even 1 of these cases is a guilty verdict then LL may never leave prison.

Obviously it is completely down to the jury what they take from Mr Myers probing and Dr Evans expertise and everyone here will have their own view.

The key thing is that experts do get things wrong. Miscarriages of justice happen. It is a vital part of the legal processes that the prosecutions case is strongly tested. This may come across as confrontational, but if even 1 of these cases is a guilty verdict then LL may never leave prison.

Obviously it is completely down to the jury what they take from Mr Myers probing and Dr Evans expertise and everyone here will have their own view.

I also think it's better these kind of things are brought up in court rather than coming out after the verdicts That way the jury have all the info possible when making their decisions.

Nothing about any medical opinions in today's write-up. I will leave my comments at that. :rolleyes:

"The witness said: “No, no. I have dealt with several police cases where I have said ‘this case doesn’t cross the threshold of suspicious death or injury’, or whatever.

“My opinions are impartial and independent.

“I also give evidence to law firms representing defendants. In the last five years I have given more reports relating to defendants than the police or the prosecution.”

Mr Myers went on: “At some point before you started writing reports you were told by the police about suspicious rashes and air embolus, weren’t you?”

Dr Evans said: “That is completely untrue. It’s totally untrue.

”The first time I heard a local doctor mention air embolus was a couple of weeks ago.

“The first person I know to raise the area of air embolus was me. I did that in case number one and I thought ‘oh my god, what is going on here?’

“I was not told anything about any suspect. I knew absolutely nothing.”

more about Dr Evans' email to NCA at link
Chester Standard
Medic denies ‘touting for job’ helping Lucy Letby police probe

Hold your horses. I’m wondering if mr Myers knows something here. Why say it like that?

Precisely. If he’s criticised , it’s because he’s done or said or written something that appears worthy of criticism.

But it’s not like everyone is out to get those giving expert medical evidence . Dr Bohin hasn’t come in for the same criticisms because there aren’t acts to warrant such criticism. The defence has tried to suggest that dr bohin has “rubber stamped” medical reports, but that hasn’t gained any traction because there is nothing (so far) in her testimony or reports to give weight to such a suggestion.
Exactly, I got bad vibes from Dr Evans way before things got tense between him and Myers (I think you said something similar). He's too defensive. I understand why he feels the need to defend himself - and tbh there isn't much room for contrition in an adversarial court set-up - but there is a much bigger picture here. Unfortunately, this can happen with experts and egos can sometimes obfuscate, as opposed to clarify, matters (I don't think it's all that uncommon for a judge to give such witnesses a dressing down either!).

Also, on other forums people really aren't taking too kindly to Myers who, I would argue, is just doing his job. An extremely important one, as with expert witnesses. The bar and the criminal justice system generally is collapsing in on itself at the moment - I don't know about silks but if their juniors and solicitors are getting paid via legal aid then I can assure you that there is nobody on the prosecution or defence who is being paid adequately for the unimanginable amount of hours that have gone into - and continue to - this case.

ETA: Criminal Bar Association strike: what you need to know

apologies - i'm a bit behind with the times (and everything!) and just seen the strikes ended October last year, though this case has of course been in the pipeline for sometime now meaning i don't know if anybody working on it (or the bar generally speaking) will be feeling the benefit of the changes promised.

If he knows something he would come right out and say it.

hold up, I think someone must be having a bonfire, sure I can smell smoke
It could be like that but it’s a poor angle from mr Myers to say something that is quite literally baseless.

probably just the fire the prosecution lit for itself with baby the couple of prior cases. It’s not holding up IMO.

Everyone legal in this case will be on enhanced fees.
The “ brief fee “ for the first day both sides will be huge plus “ refreshers “ which is every day thereafter again will be enhanced. However their diary will of been blocked booked out for so long on this and it’s already overrunning so cases that they were due to take on after what was the estimated end date of the trial will all of now been returned to other barristers as they are still on the Letby case.
The criminal bar is not like the old days that is for sure but it’s career building or ending to be involved in a case like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member