UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dotta, I won't be around all day to do the updates if anyone else would like to post them.

Dan O'Donoghue
@MrDanDonoghue

The murder trial of Lucy Letby continues at Manchester Crown Court this morning - after almost seven months of prosecution evidence, her defence begins today. Ms Letby has left the dock and is sat in the witness box ready to begin her evidence

Ms Letby is flanked by two dock officers in the witness box, she has just taken the oath and is responding to questions from her defence barrister Ben Myers KC

Mr Myers is asking Ms Letby about her background - she says she was the first in her family to go to university. She said she 'always wanted to work with children' and picked qualifications to become a nurse

10:34am

Benjamin Myers KC asks Lucy Letby to confirm her full name and date of birth, which she does.
She now tells the court about growing up in Hereford, with herself, her mum and her dad.
She said she always wanted to work with children, and developed a preference for nursing towards the end of secondary school.

10:35am

She said she did a three-year programme of nursing at the University of Chester, splitting her time between the university '50:50' and placements to gain clinical experience. The majority of her clinical experience was at the Countess of Chester Hospital, split between the children's ward and the neonatal ward.
She qualified as a band 5 nurse in September 2011.

10:37am

She says, during a 12-month period, she would've cared for "hundreds" of babies.
Asked if she had done anything to harm the babies deliberately, she says that was not the case. "I only did my best to care for them."
Asked further about it, she adds: "That is completely against everything a nurse is."

10:38am

Asked about how she felt about being removed from nursing duties, she says she was "devastated", having "prided myself on being competent".
She says it "really affected" her, it was a "life-changing moment" in being put into a non-clinical role she did not enjoy.
"From a self-confidence point of view, it made me question everything about myself."

10:40am

In September 2016, Letby says, she received a letter from the Royal College of Nursing about the "true reason" for her redployment, that she was being held responsible for the deaths of babies on the neonatal unit.
She says she was putting in a grievance procedure about being redployed.
She says she did not know, at that time, how many babies she was being held responsible for.
She says she felt it was "sickening" to be held as a person responsible for the deaths of babies.
"I don't think you can be accused of anything worse than that."
"I just changed as a person, my mental health deteriorated, I felt isolated...from my friends on the unit."

ETA: From Chester Standard live reporting

10:43am

She said she was told not to have contact with anyone on the unit, other than three friends. Two were nurses, one was a doctor.
She said she saw her GP, and she was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and was placed on to anti-depressants.
She says she takes medication for her depression now, as well as medication to help her sleep at night. She adds she can not sleep without the medication.

Via Chester Standard.

10:44am

Becoming tearful, Letby says her job was "her life".
She said, to have that taken away, "my whole world just stopped".
She says the situation has "progressively got worse".
Mr Myers: "How hard is it to be what you're accused of?"
Letby: "It's very difficult."

Via Chester Standard.

2:32am

Lucy Letby, wearing all black, is now giving evidence.

Benjamin Myers KC asks Lucy Letby to confirm her full name and date of birth, which she does.

She now tells the court about growing up in Hereford, with herself, her mum and her dad.

She said she always wanted to work with children, and developed a preference for nursing towards the end of secondary school.

She said she did a three-year programme of nursing at the University of Chester, splitting her time between the university '50:50' and placements to gain clinical experience. The majority of her clinical experience was at the Countess of Chester Hospital, split between the children's ward and the neonatal ward.

She qualified as a band 5 nurse in September 2011.

She says, during a 12-month period, she would've cared for "hundreds" of babies.

Asked if she had done anything to harm the babies deliberately, she says that was not the case. "I only did my best to care for them."

Asked further about it, she adds: "That is completely against everything a nurse is."

Asked about how she felt about being removed from nursing duties, she says she was "devastated", having "prided myself on being competent".

She says it "really affected" her, it was a "life-changing moment" in being put into a non-clinical role she did not enjoy.

"From a self-confidence point of view, it made me question everything about myself."

In September 2016, Letby says, she received a letter from the Royal College of Nursing about the "true reason" for her redployment, that she was being held responsible for the deaths of babies on the neonatal unit.

She says she did not know, at that time, how many babies she was being held responsible for.

She says she felt it was "sickening" to be held as a person responsible for the deaths of babies.

"I just changed as a person, my mental health deteriorated, I felt isolated...from my friends on the unit."

She said she was told not to have contact with anyone on the unit, other than three friends. Two were nurses, one was a doctor.

She said she saw her GP, and she was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and was placed on to anti-depressants.

She says she takes medication for her depression now, as well as medication to help her sleep at night. She adds she can not sleep without the medication.

Becoming tearful, Letby says her job was "her life".

She said, to have that taken away, "my whole world just stopped".

She says the situation has "progressively got worse".

Mr Myers: "How hard is it to be what you're accused of?"

Letby: "It's very difficult."

10:43am

Via Chester Standard.
What an odd request, don't have contact with anybody except these three friends? I've never heard of that. It's usually do not discuss this with anyone, or lightly suggested you should be quiet about it. Not only these three?

ETA: From Chester Standard live reporting
That, then, largely explains the notes and her fears of police investigations as Sept 2016 is very early on. If innocent she had every reason to harbor the fears she expressed in the notes.

It explains her self-doubts and things like "I killed them because I'm not good enough" and suchlike.

10:49am

Mr Myers asks Letby about her being arrested for the first time.
Letby says this was nothing like she had ever experienced before.
Wiping away tears, Letby says there was a knocking on the door at 6am from police, at her Westbourne Road, Chester home.
At the time, her father was with her. They had "no idea at all" the police were coming that day.
"They told me I was being arrested for multiple counts of murder, they put me into handcuffs and took me away" in her pyjamas.
After three days of police interviews, Letby was released on bail. She says she was not allowed to return to her Chester home, and went to live with her parents in Hereford.
Becoming tearful, she says the second arrest in 2019 was a "mirror image" of the first arrest.
"It was just the most...scariest thing I have ever been through."
"It's just traumatised me."

Via Chester Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads