UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would discussing what she might wear if she took the stand make it less obvious as to being off topic? :oops:

I say navy blue with her hair in bun (serious Lucy) :D
Mind you
She might opt for angelic look from the publicity pic.
So, blue and white is my vote :D
Wide eyed innocence.
Make up???;)

JMO

The week(s) approaching are odd. Although we have bank holiday tomorrow but Friday is the day prior to the kings coronation, not sure if that is relevant/congestion etc, the week after I’m not sure if that’s bank holiday Monday too?
That said, there are still “working days” around these bank holidays so it could be either witness availability etc or something else. As has been already mentioned here, the judge stating “unfortunate circumstances” does make one wonder. Unless someone has had a family bereavement. Time will tell.
JMO

I agree with you. In such a case barristers would say ‘ No Credit for a Plea’ and yes a whole life tariff , if guilty, looks likely. However, if she considered that conviction was inevitable it could be a last throw of the dice.

She is not charged with manslaughter as an alternative is she?
A whole life order in this case is unlikely.

Mitigating factors being - age when crimes were committed, lack of any previous convictions, previous good character, possible mental instability (yes, I know) and, above all else, propensity to rehabilitate.

What we need to bear in mind regards sentencing, and the justice system in general, is that sentencing is first and foremost a tool for rehabilitation - punishment is purely a secondary aspect.

Multiple concurrent life sentences with a minimum of 30 years imprisonment seems most likely, given all the information we have and the precedents previously set.

Assuming, of course, that the veridct the jury reach is guilty.
IMO

It was the wording of the trial judge “ an unfortunate set of circumstances “ that I found strange. I am sure it will come out in time.
Yes, that threw me off from the notion it could be about her testifying. It made it sound more like a juror had a scheduling conflict. I remember one trial where the judge was allowing 2 jurors to leave early on Fridays because of a scheduling issue involving their children.

An unfortunate set of circs sounds like illness to me. But apparently not?

Mitigating factors being - age when crimes were committed, lack of any previous convictions, previous good character, possible mental instability (yes, I know) and, above all else, propensity to rehabilitate.

What we need to bear in mind regards sentencing, and the justice system in general, is that sentencing is first and foremost a tool for rehabilitation - punishment is purely a secondary aspect.

Multiple concurrent life sentences with a minimum of 30 years imprisonment seems most likely, given all the information we have and the precedents previously set.

IMO
In that example, would 30 years mean an entire 30 years incarcerated or is there time off for good behaviour, etc?

In the US, 30 year sentences often mean 18 to 24 years and then parole.

in a case full of weird writings on the part of ll I’m wondering about one piece in particular. The note in which she wrote “this situation could have been avoided” and “things didn’t need to get to this” or something like that. What are the possible interpretations of that? would it suggest that she had actually foreseen the investigation happening? Really curious words there imo

in a case full of weird writings on the part of ll I’m wondering about one piece in particular. The note in which she wrote “this situation could have been avoided” and “things didn’t need to get to this” or something like that. What are the possible interpretations of that? would it suggest that she had actually foreseen the investigation happening? Really curious words there imo
Which note was that?

In that example, would 30 years mean an entire 30 years incarcerated or is there time off for good behaviour, etc?

In the US, 30 year sentences often mean 18 to 24 years and then parole.Two completely different justice, and sentencing systems.
Two completely different justice, and sentencing systems.

In US, barring a pardon, a life sentence equals life imprisonment.

Whereas in UK, a life sentence is served partly in prison and the remainder on licence (ie in the community, but with strict probation-type terms attached, for life).

In UK the minimum term for imprisonment for murder is a life sentence, with an imprisonment of 15 years, for adults.
Generally, for adults in UK convicted for murder, life sentence imprisonments can vary from between 15 - 30 years, and in rare instances, longer (I believe the longest single life sentence handed out is 38 years and a number of months).

In a life sentence, the term set by the judge is the minimum the person will spend imprisoned.
So if someone recieved life with 30 years imprisoned they will not be realised until at least having spent 30 years behind bars. There is no reduction as it is a life sentence with a minimum term set.

There are also cases where more than one life sentence is handed out during a single sentencing, and not only the crime of murder carries a life sentence in the UK.
Rape and armed robbery and other serious violent crimes can also carry life sentences, but unlike murder the sentences these crimes carry do not begin at a life sentence.

The closest UK equivalent to the US life sentence is called a Whole Life Order.
This guarantees the convicted person shall never be released.
Unlike in US, these whole life orders are exceptionally rare in UK, and only handed out in incredibly serious murders, often where multiple murders have occurred (serial killers) or when children have been abducted and subject to serious abuse with a high degree of premeditation.

There is no death penalty for murder anywhere in UK.

Last edited:
The handover sheet with notes about baby o on is interesting..if she does take the stand I hope she is asked why she was taking notes on a baby who had died some time before
Do you think those details might be when one of the times she asked doc choc or someone else as she acknowledged doing.

Do you think those details might be when one of the times she asked doc choc or someone else as she acknowledged doing.
She could have written it after one of her private debriefs with Dr choc.

IMO
That is a good point. 17 life sentences were given in the Ben Geen case, but I was wondering if the recent 'success' of the prosecution in gaining a whole life tariff for Wayne Couzens may make them push upwards now for people in positions of authority.

But yes, we still have a defence to present and a jury to decide so every possible verdict is still on the table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member