UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy Letby has arrived in the courtroom​

She is wearing a dark blue suit and sits in the dock with three members of the court's security team.
She is is accused of murdering seven babies, and attempting to murder 10 more over a one-year period.
Letby will now be arraigned - she is facing 22 charges concerning 17 babies.

Letby pleads not guilty to all 22 charges​

The court has now read out each individual charge facing Letby - she is charged with 22 counts involving 17 babies.
In some instances, she is accused of attempting to murder the same infant multiple times.
The incidents all took place between 8 June 2015 and 25 June 2016.
She pleads not guilty to each count.

10:42am

A number of amendments have been put to the charges.
Letby now faces an increased number of charges - 22 in total.

I thought that sounded higher than figures we'd had before.

I can't make my mind up as to whether this points towards more likely to be guilty or whether the prosecution is just getting silly with the number of charges. Presumably the additional ones are extra attempted murder charges? Perhaps charges related to administering things, though?

10:00am

Jurors will have been selected from a longlist of well over 100 people, and each member of the finalised jury will have to make themselves available until the end of April, to attend every day of the trial which is expected to last six months.

Apologies if it's already been copied over

11:01am

Nurse appears in the dock​

Nurse Lucy Letby has pleaded not guilty to seven murders and 15 attempted murders as her trial got under way.
Letby, 32, wearing a blue jacket over a black shirt, stood in the dock and replied “not guilty” as each of the 22 charges were read out to her at Manchester Crown Court.
Family members of some of her alleged child victims sat in the public gallery listening as the names of the children were read out during her not guilty pleas.
On the other side of the public gallery sat the defendant’s parents, John, 76, and Susan, 62.
Letby, of Arran Avenue, Hereford, denies murdering five boys and two girls, and attempting to murder another five boys and five girls between June 2015 and June 2016.
She was working in the neonatal unit of the Countess of Chester Hospital in Chester at the time.
A jury is expected to be in place later on Monday followed by the prosecution opening.

Lucy Letby: prosecution opens in Hereford nurse murder trial

If I'm understanding this correctly they allege she unsuccessfully attempted to murder one baby 6 times
It struck me ages ago, and I may have posted something to this effect, but given the number of attempted murder charges there were even before today, if she's a serial murderer then she isn't particularly good at it! That's perhaps a bit of a flippant remark given the gravity of the case but it's still true. It's one of the things that got me very puzzled as to how they are alleging that she did this. I mean, it can't be that difficult to murder premature babies. She may, of course, have been trying make them ill with the intent of saving them, I suppose?

Last edited:
The HT has comments enabled on its live feed page. This seems a rather irresponsible course of action and very possibly a contempt of court!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrayZee