UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Following. Thanks for updates. Can I ask, do we know if all the issues with the babies stopped happening after LL was no longer working there?

We do not. However, the unit was downgraded from a level 2 neonatal unit to a level 1 special care baby unit while the investigation has been ongoing, which means the babies there would be less poorly, and more likely to have better outcomes anyway.

Shock rejection of Chester hospital's neonatal unit plan

I noticed that the prosecution said that Child C was assigned a less qualified nurse. Later, they say that the collapse and resuscitation was so uncommon that the designated nurse for Child C hadn't witnessed it before.
While both can be true, it does slightly weaken the "rare circumstances" argument if the nurse who hasn't seen it before is relatively inexperienced.

I noticed that the prosecution said that Child C was assigned a less qualified nurse. Later, they say that the collapse and resuscitation was so uncommon that the designated nurse for Child C hadn't witnessed it before.
While both can be true, it does slightly weaken the "rare circumstances" argument if the nurse who hasn't seen it before is relatively inexperienced.

Prosecution semantics. They have to paint the picture as black as possible.

OK it's only the prosecution saying but if there were too many "I don't remember" type responses from LL in interview it starts to look very evasive and will certainly draw the attention of the jury.

Good point. I suppose less qualified could just mean she didn't have the additional training or seniority LL did, but still had many years in neo natal care or even on the ward? That wasn't made clear though. Like if I'm a teaching assistant rather than a senior teacher, I will still be able to witness the same behaviour in the classroom. Just means I'm less qualified.

MOO though.

12:16pm

Child E - murder allegation
Child E, a boy, was born premature in July 2015.
The prosecution say this is the twin brother of the child poisoned with insulin.
Child E was born, weighing less than 3lbs. He was given oxygen, then weaned to air, and transferred to nursery 1.

12:19pm

The court hears Child E was at risk of a serious gastro-intestinal disorder, NEC, and was started on antibiotics, IV fluids and caffeine.
He had a nasogastric tube inseted. Fluids were inserted the following day via a long line.
He had a "mild, transient high blood sugar" was was corrected with "a very low dose of insulin", then given tiny quantities of milk the following day, every two hours.
The following day after that, he had two small vomits and air was aspirated, but otherwise the feeds were well tolerated and increased incrementally to 2ml every 2 hours.
The nursing notes indicated he was stable, on a tiny dose of insulin to correct high blood sugar.

12:20pm

At 9pm on August 3, 2015, the mother decided to visit her twin sons, and "interrupted Lucy Letby who was in the process of attacking Child E", the prosecution say, although the mum "did not realise it at the time".

12:21pm

Child E was 'acutely distressed' and bleeding from the mouth.
The mum said Letby attempted to reassure her the blood was due to the NGT ittirating the throat.
"Trust me, I'm a nurse," Mr Johnson told the court.

12:22pm

Letby said the registrar would be down to review Child E, and urged her to return to the postnatal ward.
The mum called her husband when she got to the labour ward, in a call lasting four minutes and 25 seconds, at 9.11pm.
Letby made a note in Child F's records (Child F being the twin of Child E), "after she had got rid of" the mum, Mr Johnson said.
The next time the mum visited Child E, he was in terminal decline.

12:28pm

The prosecution say the mum was "fobbed off" by Lucy Letby.
Two records are made at 4.51am, after Child E had died.
The later note records: "Mummy was present at the start of shift attending to cares. Visited again approx. 22:00. Aware that we had obtained blood from his NG tube and were starting some different medications to treat this. She was updated by Reg xxxxx and contained [Child E]. Informed her that we would contact her if any changes. Once [Child E] began to deteriorate midwifery staff were contacted. Both parents present during resus."
The prosecution say Letby's note suggests the mum was present at the start of the shift (7.30pm-8pm), and returned at 10pm, when "neither is true".
The prosecution say 9pm was an important time, as it was the time Child E was due to be fed, by his mother's expressed breast milk.
The mum said that is why she attended at 9pm. "She was bringing the milk".
The phone call at 9.11pm to her husband also fits the mum's timing, the prosecution add.

12:29pm

Letby's notes also show: "prior to 21:00 feed, 16ml mucky slightly bile-stained aspirate obtained and discarded, abdo soft, not distended. SHO [Senior House Officer] informed, to omit feed."
The prosecution say the nursing notes made are false, and fail to mention that Child E was bleeding at 9pm.
They mention a meeting that neither the registrar or the mother remember.

12:35pm

A record of feeds - a feeding chart - is shown to the court.
At 9pm, Letby has recorded information to detail the volume of fluids given via the IV line and a line in Child E's left leg, and the 9pm feed is 'omitted'.
In the 10pm column is '15ml fresh blood'.
The SHO said he had no recollection of giving advice to omit the 9pm feed.
He was on the paediatric ward most of that night, until Child E entered a terminal decline. He believes the only time he had anything to do with Child E was in a secondary role to the registrar in an examination at 10.20pm.

It would be more significant if she had a suspicious Google search history. The fact that they are talking about her Facebook search history shows how clean her actual Google history was. You can bet the prosecution would be talking about any searches for poisons, infant autopsies or similar murder cases.
Deleting your browser history would probably get rid of any evidence of Google searches. I don't think Google saves anything at their end as to what you've been searching for.

Facebook seems to save everything for ever, though. If you delete the specific searches from the FB search window I think the evidence of them might remain on your account activity history but I couldn't say for certain. You can request a download of your FB activity. I might do that just to see what info it actually retains.

12:37pm

The registrar recalled being told Child E had suffered a blood-flecked vomit.
He does not recall seeing any blood on Child E's face, but regarded the presentation as undramatic.
But "around half an hour to an hour later there was a large amount of fresh blood which had come up" Child E's tube.
The prosecution said: "This was the first indication of any serious problem so far as the medical staff were concerned.
"There was a further loss of 13 mls of blood at 23:00 hrs."
"13mls may not sound much, but [the doctor] had never seen a small baby bleed like this."
This was the equivalent to 25 per cent of Child E's blood volume, a figure which the prosecution say is an under-estimate in context.

12:41pm

The prosecution add that at 11.40pm, Child E suffered a sudden desaturation.
His abdomen "developed a striking discolouration with flitting white and purple patches."
CPR was started, but Child E "continued to bleed".
Although Letby was participating in the resuscitation of Child E, she co-signed for medication given to another baby in room 4.
Child E was pronounced at at 1.40am.
The on-call consultant said Child E was a high-risk infant who had shown signs of NEC.
The parents did not wish to have a post-mortem, the consultant did not deem one necessary, and the coroner's office agreed.
The prosecution say: "As subsequent reviews have established – that was a big mistake."

Less than 24 hours after Child C had died, at 3.52pm, Letby searched on Facebook for his parents. Given she had come off duty at 8am, "the timing may suggest this was one of the first things she did having woken up".
That is "strange" I have to say. Having said that, who can say what amounts to unusual in these circumstances?

On a different note; it's a very good example as to why the names of the victims and their families have orders against publication relating to them!

12:42pm

Dr Dewi Evans said Child E's death "was the result of a combination of an air embolus and bleeding which was indicative of trauma".
The air embolus was "intentionally introduced" into Child E's bloodstream via an IV line "to cause significant harm".

12:43pm

Medical expert Dr Sandie Bohin agreed the cause of death was air embolus and acute bleeding.
She concluded that the cause of the bleeding was unknown but acknowledged “fleetingly rare” possible natural causes that could not be ruled out in the absence of a post-mortem.
Dr Bohin concentrated on the abdominal discolouration and concluded that air was deliberately introduced via an intravenous line.

The falsification and omission in her notes and lying about the mother's whereabouts is very odd. Why would anyone want to do that? Surely you'd think every little bit of information should be jotted down in case it helped a very sick baby particularly since she says she was so upset by the death of baby A?

Prosecution semantics. They have to paint the picture as black as possible.

OK it's only the prosecution saying but if there were too many "I don't remember" type responses from LL in interview it starts to look very evasive and will certainly draw the attention of the jury.
Yes. A few "I can't remember" answers seem reasonable, especially after the passage of several years but lots of the starts to look bad. As you say, though, it's this guy's job to make things look as bleak as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member