UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O'Donoghue
Mr Johnson puts it to Ms Letby that she took the sheets home 'for your little collection'. Ms Letby says 'no'
Maybe those sheets were just randomly lying around her room at her parents place and her mum thought they looked important so put them in a box marked "keep"?
Maybe, but that shreds her own narrative that she was keeping the paperwork confidential so she wasn't doing anything wrong.

11:15am

Letby, asked how she could have disposed of handover sheets, said to police in interview she did not have a shredder and, if she did, that would be how she would dispose of confidential documents.
Letby tells the court: "I can't recall at the time - I had just been arrested by police, locating a shredder wasn't on my mind."
Mr Johnson asks when the shredder was bought.
Letby says "shortly before this [police] interview - if I said it was bought recently."
Mr Johnson asks about a shredder box in Letby's parents' home, in her bedroom wardrobe. Letby said "it probably moved with me". She says she cannot recall "definitively" whether it was her parents' shredder.
Mr Johnson says "it was settled" that the box had the word "keep" written on it. Letby said that was to "keep the box and the shredder".
Mr Johnson: "But there is no shredder in the box"
Letby: "The shredder was elsewhere in the house".
Letby agrees her parents would not go in her room at their parents' place.
Mr Johnson asks why the word 'keep' would be written on the box in that event.
"I can't answer that."

11:07am

Mr Johnson asks why Letby purchased a shredder if she wasn't going to use it - was she on so much money she could make such purchases?
Letby, after saying she is not sure what finance has to do with this, says she used the shredder to shred bank statements.
"Why did you lie about [not having a shredder] in interview?"
Letby said she didn't recall having a shredder, it was not a significant item in her house.
"Like the pieces of paper?"
Letby agrees.

Letby, after saying she is not sure what finance has to do with this, says she used the shredder to shred bank statements.

She's starting to get tetchy and it's not even been an hour.

I share the same opinion on this. And it doesn't mean she isn't also guilty, but I don't think the handover sheets are a specific part. I.e I don't think she was specifically using the sheets as mementos, trophies or research, but It may be a shared deeper part of her psychology.

But quite frankly it's going to play incredibly bad with the jury and they will struggle to look past it, which is why the prosecution are making such a point of it
I'll make a little prediction here; I wouldn't at all be surprised if her defence asks for an adjournment so they can have her psychological state assessed as regards her amassing all of this confidential paperwork along with her manic FB searching, etc.

I mean, I don't know if that's even possible at this stage but if it is I can see this coming to pass in the not too distant future.

Dan O'Donoghue
Mr Johnson puts it to Ms Letby that she took the sheets home 'for your little collection'. Ms Letby says 'no'

Maybe, but that shreds her own narrative that she was keeping the paperwork confidential so she wasn't doing anything wrong.
Yes, definitely. As I say, I don't believe her answers in relation to the handover sheets. There is something deeper going on with these.

I'll make a little prediction here; I wouldn't at all be surprised if her defence asks for an adjournment so they can have her psychological state assessed as regards her amassing all of this confidential paperwork along with her manic FB searching, etc.

I mean, I don't know if that's even possible at this stage but if it is I can see this coming to pass in the not too distant future.
They're not going to stop the trial for something the defence have known about for years!

The prosecution begins questioning Letby​

ee1f1e45-2687-4090-816e-cd3f8b8e263c.jpg

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
This is Lucy Letby's first full day of prosecution cross examination. She's being questioned by Nick Johnson KC who's leading the prosecution team of three barristers.
He begins by asking her if she wants to modify any of the answers which she gave to him yesterday. She says she does not.
Nick Johnson KC "are you doing your best to tell your truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth Lucy Letby?" She answers "yes".

Posted at 10:44

Prosecution says Letby not telling the truth about handover sheets​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Nick Johnson KC is asking the nurse about nursing handover sheets with confidential medical information on them, which were found at her house after her arrest.
He shows her one and asks her to pick it up. She does. He asks her how it's different to all the others found at her house. He tells her it's because it has no folds in it.
She asks if it's the original. He says it is. He says: "You've not been prepared to tell the truth about these handover sheets have you?"
She says: "The truth is what I've told you".
Yesterday Lucy Letby said that student nurses weren't given handover sheets. Today Nick Johnson KC says that 99 of the sheets found at Letby's house were from her time as a student nurse.

11:22am

Mr Johnson asks about a sympathy card written to Child I's family.
Letby is asked where she wrote the card.
Letby says she bought the card, but cannot recall where specifically she wrote it.

1684405401441.png

Letby says she wouldn't have written it on shift.

Letby is asked why the photo was taken when she was at work.

"The card is written, it has been taken to work to hand over to a colleague who is going to the funeral."

NJ: "Why did you take a picture at the place where the child...died in dreadful circumstances?"

Letby said the place the photo was taken was "insignificant", it was taken before the card was handed over to staff.

Mr Johnson: "Another thing that is insignificant?"

Letby: "I think that is taken out of context."

Mr Johnson: "Did it give you a bit of a thrill?"

LL: "Absolutely not."

Yes, definitely. As I say, I don't believe her answers in relation to the handover sheets. There is something deeper going on with these.
And unfortunately for her, the KC is doing a good job of connecting these sheets to some of the babies connected to this trial. So her deeper issues are being connected to the charged cases, which is a problem for the defense.

10:47

The scene inside court today​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
We're in courtroom number seven at Manchester Crown Court. It's a medium sized windowless room.
I am one of only four journalists in the room itself. Others are watching via videolink in an annexe.
Parents of some of the babies in the trial are in court to listen to today's evidence.
Lucy Letby's parents and one of her friends are sitting just behind the nurse.
Lucy Letby is sitting very still at a wooden table directly opposite the jury. She's looking straight ahead, with a neutral expression.
The judge, Mr Justice Goss is wearing red robes, and sits above the court.
Nick Johnson KC is standing at right angles to the nurse peering over his reading glasses at her.
The courtroom is full. There are six barristers - three prosecution and three defence. There's also a row of other lawyers and court staff.

10:58

Letby says handover sheets weren't significant​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Regarding handover sheets and why they were kept, Nick Johnson KC asks Lucy Letby: "Why don't you want to tell the truth?"
She says: "That is the truth. They have no meaning to me at all. They're just pieces of paper to me. I didn't know I had handover sheets. They weren't significant".
Mr Johnson says: "They were in your work bag".
He adds: "Are you really asking the jury to accept that pieces of paper with sensitive information about dead children on them were insignificant?"
Lucy Letby answers: "Yes".

'Why don't you want to tell the truth?'
"Why don't you want to tell the truth?" asks Nick Johnson KC, on the subject of handover sheets found at Lucy Letby's Chester home.

The defendant says they have "no meaning" and are "just pieces of paper".

"If they have no meaning, why did you keep them?" Mr Johnson asks.

Letby says she has accumulated "copious amounts of paper, cards" throughout "her whole life" and that these are "no different".

Mr Johnson mentions that handover documents were found in different bags in different places during the police search of her home. Letby says she was accumulating "paper, not their content".

"The question the jury may be interested in is why," Mr Johnson says.

"I have difficulty throwing anything away," Letby replies.

"Is that why you bought a shredder?"

"I did have a shredder at some point, yes."

Mr Johnson says that wasn't his question and asks if her difficulty in throwing things away is why she bought the shredder. Letby says it was for other documents she would gather, such as bank statements.

The prosecution asks if Letby bought a shredder, found at her home, between April 2016 and the date police knocked on her door in 2018. She agrees.

"Why didn't you shred the handover sheets?" Mr Johnson asks.

"Because they're insignificant," she says.

Mr Johnson puts to Letby that they're "very significant" as they contain the names of deceased babies.

"Yes they shouldn't have come home with me I agree… they were put among other notes," she replies.

"Are you really asking the jury to accept that pieces of paper with information about dead children are insignificant?" asks Mr Johnson.

"Yes," Letby says.

Handover sheet from 2010 in a keepsake box?!
Also handover notes in a box marked KEEP…

How can she say she didn’t purposely keep them? How can she say they are insignificant?

Firstly we have:
Mr Johnson says Letby took the sheet for June 23, 2016 home as it had notes of drugs for Child O and Child P.
Letby said there was documentation on there, but cannot be sure what details were on it.
Letby said she took the note home deliberately to bring it back the following day for finishing up writing of medications.

BBM: how does this fit with her previous testimony that she didn’t know she was taking these sheets home? She’s just admitted to taking one home deliberately? Is she trying to confuse the jury because the lies are complete contradictions.

Moments later:
Letby says at the time the documents were insignificant, as they went home along with a lot of other documents for babies not on the indictment.
LL: "These have come home with me...not with any intention."
NJ: "You have taken them home."
Letby accepts the wording.

Absolutely ridiculous. How can anyone believe a single word this woman says? Her statements are completely contradictory. A sheet was significant enough to ‘deliberately take home’ (as she has just admitted) because it had medications on. And moments later, they have come home with her ‘not with any intention’

Am I reading this wrong or is she just falling over her own lies here.
If you have a handover sheet in a ‘keepsake’ box, then surely you intended to keep it?

She is a compulsive LIAR! And IMO it’s showing on the stand…

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member