UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the jury should be allowed a couple of days to rant amongst themselves about how they ended up on this trial, as opposed to the customary 2 weeks, before even being asked to consider the evidence.
They've been allowed to get to know each other already though, and probably know each other very well by now.

Have you got your cardboard cut-out ready for your visit next week?
@ 9 hours 30 mins you could be here for it on the 12th o_O
That's why I put those hours. Wednesday morning lol. I will be at my son's graduation ceremony in the afternoon.

I'll also be there from 3pm the day before, but I wouldn't want to rush them with so many verdict forms to fill in. :p

Verdict next Thursday at 3.37pm.

I remember waiting for the Jodi Arias verdict in Arizona and one of the jurors was spotted taking in a crock pot (slow cooker). I think it was discussed in depth here on websleuths!!!

Interesting comment from Justice Goose on the guilty verdict in the Elle Edwards murder this afternoon at Liverpool where he asks the prosecution to “make submissions on whether a whole life order is necessary”.
Food for thought.
JMO

When I was on a jury, for the first 2 days big platters of sandwiches were provided. On the 3rd day hot lunches were brought in. This was the protocol, 2 days of sandwiches was deemed long enough!

There used to be a canteen on the ground floor years ago but that’s gone now.
It was permanently packed full of barristers and defendants eating their lunches side by side, quite comical at times.
The “ bring your own refreshments “ quote did make me smile !
Poor jurors.

Interesting comment from Justice Goose on the guilty verdict in the Elle Edwards murder this afternoon at Liverpool where he asks the prosecution to “make submissions on whether a whole life order is necessary”.
Food for thought.
JMO
Maybe he really really wants to give a whole life order but needs to find a way to justify it within the law. So making the prosecution work for it!

Maybe he really really wants to give a whole life order but needs to find a way to justify it within the law. So making the prosecution work for it!
I didn't think that the prosecution had any input into sentencing? It's all based on published guidelines and in the case of murder they are statutory. I haven't followed that case but I don't immediately see what element to it might warrant a whole life order.

I didn't think that the prosecution had any input into sentencing? It's all based on published guidelines and in the case of murder they are statutory. I haven't followed that case but I don't immediately see what element to it might warrant a whole life order.

The judge has guidelines which provide a range, but the prosecution and defence can also make submissions. There are also victim impact statements, but I don't know how much credence is given to those by the judge when making his/her decision. The defendant in that case was a career criminal, a member of an organised crime gang, who took a machine gun to a pub on Christmas Eve and sprayed bullets indiscriminately at a group of people standing outside, killing one and injuring 5 others. I agree that it doesn't seem to meet the elements required for a WLO but one can hope!

I wonder if he will have the balls to attend court for his sentencing!

The judge has guidelines which provide a range, but the prosecution and defence can also make submissions. There are also victim impact statements, but I don't know how much credence is given to those by the judge when making his/her decision. The defendant in that case was a career criminal, a member of an organised crime gang, who took a machine gun to a pub on Christmas Eve and sprayed bullets indiscriminately at a group of people standing outside, killing one and injuring 5 others. I agree that it doesn't seem to meet the elements required for a WLO but one can hope!

I wonder if he will have the balls to attend court for his sentencing!
The guidelines, though, are statutory so the judge is quite restricted in how much leeway he has; it wasn't a murder done for gain, for a religious or political motives, didn't involve abduction of a child or any sexual or sadistic motivations. I do get that he was a professional criminal but I don't think that that makes the cut. I reckon his starting point will be 30 years.

On the issue of the gun; the media are very keen to make out that it was a machine gun (fully automatic) but it likely wasn't. The evidence in the trial was that even if it was then he fired it in semi-automatic mode - there is apparently a video but I haven't seen it. If it had have been capable of full-auto fire I think he'd have used it. In fact, had it been fired fully auto I think there's a decent chance he would have caused less destruction than he actually did as it would have been rather uncontrollable and the majority of shots would have likely gone high.

Anyway, I think I'm drifting a bit OT here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member