VERDICT WATCH UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh jury / same judge possibly or a new judge.
Trial could be on a different circuit ( my guess would be north east or midlands ) and you would be amazed how little notice people actually take in ongoing criminal trials so your jury would have to disclose if they have been following it or not but as It’s made national news immediately you have the argument that she can’t get a fair trial.
Then you have the issue of bail.
Could be any of the above or hopefully none of them.
Fingers crossed.
That might put me in the frame as a potential juror!

I think that's reading too much in to it.

The judge will not know how close (or not) they are to any verdicts
I think they meant, critical as in it was known this juror had a hard deadline for when their participation would no longer be possible. It wouldn't matter what the judge knew or didn't know about how close they were verdict wise if he knew that the juror didn't have long to go before they had to finish up.

I know people think the juror/s have been skylarking but I feel bad for all of them tbh, its a big ask to give up so much of your life for this for piddling compensation. I feel like jury trials just become less and less realistic as time goes on. The Internet, double income families, social media, people working longer before retirement etc, all mean fewer and fewer people able to serve especially on such long trials, fewer people who aren't already prejudiced, more chances of jurors doing their own research and adjacent risks etc. Its a medieval system that needs updating for the 21st century IMO

Surely there are not many scenarios where a Juror would be discharged at the end of a court day having deliberated.
I'm presuming "if" someone was pregnant they couldn't work past a certain date.
It does make me think a verdict not coming today though

Surely there are not many scenarios where a Juror would be discharged at the end of a court day having deliberated.
I'm presuming "if" someone was pregnant they couldn't work past a certain date.
It does make me think a verdict not coming today though
It may be that the juror, or perhaps a child of a juror, has significant medical treatment planned which starts today? Could be anything up to a transplant or similar?

I agree that it's unlikely we'll be seeing a verdict soon.

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed scrolling through Internet about this case.

It breeds all kinds of conspiracy theories.

If it goes to retrial, I cannot even imagine the frenzy.
This is a very sensitive subject matter and people get very emotional.

It will be like a festering wound.

JMO

whenever the last time there was a juror absent. Monday I think?
Yes -

A juror absence on Monday meant no deliberations took place on Monday. Trial judge Mr Justice James Goss told the remaining 11 jurors that enquiries had been made, and he was satisfied there were 'good reasons' that juror was not available, but that there was a good expectation that juror would be back on Tuesday.

He said he appreciated the juror deliberations were "at a critical stage" and this was an "exceptional circumstance which had arisen".

He added: "Sometimes these things happen, and it has happened."

He apologised to the jurors for the inconvenience.

And me!..however, I think my employer may have other ideas....

All the best to the jury remaining, I have faith they've got this....
Your employer would have to let you, but they wouldn't have to pay you apparently!

I agree though - this jury will do it, they must...

Wait. Presumably te court would be aware that this lady is pregnant from the start. Then when it became apparent that the trial would last longer than anticipated they might have taken action then? They would have known it Would go on longer but would they have known precisely? Literally no point in keeping her around. It’s a tight timeline though, I can see them not thinking it would take this long and so no need to discharge at that point.

Another thing I noticed scrolling through Internet about this case.

It breeds all kinds of conspiracy theories.

If it goes to retrial, I cannot even imagine the frenzy.
This is a very sensitive subject matter and people get very emotional.

It will be like a festering wound.

JMO
Yes, ridiculous conspiracy theories have been with us for decades - probably for all human history - but today's methods of communication means they are disseminated extremely rapidly and often take on more significance to a lot of people than they ever should do.

People very often live in their own bubble these days, by which I mean that almost everything they read is self selected and it becomes very easy to confirm your own biases and fail to hear other arguments. As an example, take the whole JFK situation; that has spawned a load of utterly ridiculous conspiracy theories - the vast majority of which aren't even based on things which are know to be true, such as the positions of the passengers in the car. I even came across one forum who were very open about the fact that they didn't care what the truth was, even if the official account could be proved to be 100% correct they would not accept it.

Anyway, drifting a bit but it's relevant to what you say as this case is a perfect example of one which should not have undignified, scurrilous conspiracy theory's attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo