VERDICT WATCH UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Addressing the juror, he said "I imagine it might be slightly frustrating for you", but called the decision "an inevitability".

Judge Goss reminds them of their lifetime ban on revealing any details of what has been discussed in the jury room."

Wow, I didn't know about a lifetime ban. Goes to show what little I know.

I just thought they weren't allowed to reveal anything while the trial was ongoing, but could say about anything once all was over and done with in a trial.

The trial judge thanked the juror for their attendance during the trial over the past 10 months, and he was sorry they were unable to continue.

"I imagine it must be slightly frustrating for you," he added.

The trial judge reminded the jurors there must be no communication outside of court until the trial was over.

The trial will resume on Friday, August 4.

The trial judge thanked the juror for their attendance during the trial over the past 10 months, and he was sorry they were unable to continue.

"I imagine it must be slightly frustrating for you," he added.

The trial judge reminded the jurors there must be no communication outside of court until the trial was over.

The trial will resume on Friday, August 4.

I just thought they weren't allowed to reveal anything while the trial was ongoing, but could say about anything once all was over and done with in a trial.
The US systems and UK systems are different in that respect. I think in America it ends at discharge because of their constitution.

MOO

"Addressing the juror, he said "I imagine it might be slightly frustrating for you", but called the decision "an inevitability".

Judge Goss reminds them of their lifetime ban on revealing any details of what has been discussed in the jury room."

The judge called it an inevitability?

It sounds like it was the same juror who missed several sessions and perhaps needed to postpone another and the judge had to say no.

Maybe things will move faster now?

Wow. To go through a 10 month trial and almost 3 weeks of deliberations and then have to discharge sounds crazy. The fact they turned up today too, and weren’t discharged until late afternoon is a bit strange. Also the “ must be slightly frustrating for you ” comment from the judge. I’m not sure whether to read into these things or not.
I’m wondering if this member of the jury has maybe had the personal issues for a while but was hoping to see it out still, and after yet another day of deliberations have realised it’s unlikely and decided to withdraw.

The judge called it an inevitability?

It sounds like it was the same juror who missed several sessions and perhaps needed to postpone another and the judge had to say no.

Maybe things will move faster now?
I honestly wonder if a juror has been trying to juggle something like cancer treatment or dialysis with their service. If so, then the respect I have for them is profound. Those things are hard even when you have zero commitments. But this juror, whatever their reason for being excused, wanted to persist with their service despite the trial going over the estimated time by months. That's dedication.

MOO

This makes it sound as though the juror wanted to continue.

It does, doesn't it. It could be that it's someone who's maybe had a few medical issues/absences along the way and those issues might now require further time off for eg. a couple/few days hospital treatment or something like that and the judge has decided that it's just not tenable for them to continue because of the further delay it would mean for the remaining jurors at this critical stage of the trial.

That would kind of fit with the judge acknowledging the juror's frustration ie. that he knew the juror remained committed but that, unfortunately, his/her personal circumstances could not be further accommodated by the court.

Pure guesswork obvs but the jury already lost a week of deliberations through absence and I imagine the judge will be doing everything within his power to ensure there are no further delays.

Last edited:

There is a (rather old now, originally published 2000 I think) book by Trevor Grove called The Juryman's Tale, giving an account of his jury service on a very long fraud* trial. He had to get special permission. He was then editor of the Sunday Telegraph which I suppose helped. I don't remember the detail but I enjoyed it at the time.

This article I found while looking for the details of the book is also rather old, but I think the insights on jury service are still valid. The only thing I know of that's changed is the raising of the age limit to 75.

Rough justice for jurors when the call-up comes

EDIT
*I seem to have forgotten some rather important details, from reading the sample chapters provided by Bloomsbury - it wasn't a fraud trial but kidnap and blackmail. And though long, it seems short by compariosn with this one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member