GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts and prayers remain tonight with the parents and families of the babies killed and harmed by this evil creature.

I can't begin to imagine what they are going through. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make this living nightmare go away for them. The only consolation they have is that justice was done today; I hope they can take a crumb of comfort from this, and one day, somehow - goodness knows how! - find some semblance of peace. I will pray for that tonight.

R.I.P.

If I recall correctly, she also falsified a blood sugar reading in one of the poisoning cases, to make it seem that his level was higher than it was, then discouraged another nurse from taking a reading at the short interval they had been, because it was a better number and because of 'his poor feet'. So the baby went without a sugar level reading for longer, leaving a greater interval for complications and death.

MOO
I must have missed that. I did note however that in the cases of the insulin twins, both e&f & l&m that it was when the sugar levels were being tested that it all 'went off' regards the air embolisms of their siblings.
It was almost like the AE 's were to take the focus of the increasing sugar levels.

I admire Lisa Walker greatly for speaking out. 20 years experience in the setting too. Literally knocked spots off LL's experience, what a joke that LL thought she could outwit a nursery nurse who might be of lower ranking but had 15 years on her and clearly smarter than LL too!
She was similarly outfoxed by the older nurse who knew how to do the maths for the resus medications by hand when the chart went 'missing'. Letby quizzed her hard afterwards about how she did it. The nurse explained how, and told her she should learn it. I don't think that was the same nurse, but she knew her stuff. Yeah, 'missing', funny how that happened... I think Letby was similarly angry at this nurse as the other. She'd expected the team to fall apart without that chart, and this nurse just works it all out with pen and paper.

I'm sorry, I've tried looking for which child and nurse this was, but it's very late for me, here, and my google searching is letting me down. I know it's been discussed in earlier threads.

MOO

I do wonder if the thrill wasn't in the kill but in the heroic acts of saving very close to death collapses? And the deaths were an unintended product of her thrill seeking?
She had to enjoy the violence as well, considering the brutality of her repeated actions. Shoving sharp tools down the throats to cause lethal hemorraging. Blunt force trauma crushing the livers. Poisoning the feed lines with insulin. And injecting air into their veins to stroke them out. ...and sometimes overfeeding them so severely their lungs are crushed and their bowels are disrupted.

So the deaths were not unintended and were not just a product. I think she enjoyed it.

But I do agree that the loved the attention and praise from saving the babies. And the compassion from others when she was a martyr after losing another one. Poor Lucy, such a good nurse but having a run of bad luck in nursery one.

I wonder about her childhood. That's the only bit that catches my attention as appearing so normal. Often there's a part of me that has a pang of empathy for those who commit heinous crimes when you look into their childhoods. Even though they comit awful things, you can almost understand why they are so disturbed. Hers just seems so normal?
I'm wondering whether she has any extended family - aunts, uncles, cousins? Not seen anything mentioned.

I said upthread that I don’t think LL will fare very well in her women’s prison. It will be full of women who genuinely love and miss their own children. It’s not a nice thing to say, but I seriously doubt she will last long in there.

I said upthread that I don’t think LL will fare very well in her women’s prison. It will be full of women who genuinely love and miss their own children. It’s not a nice thing to say, but I seriously doubt she will last long in there.

I hope she does because she deserves to have the weight of her decisions haunting her until the day she dies. It’s got to be long, gruelling. She’s got to be able to live with it day after day.

I'm interested in how they integrate women there. Honestly this case has given me a whole new insight into womens prisons! I've seen beauty salons, multi gyms, sports halls, education.
Still, it's a long time I guess....

Reactions: IDK
I'm interested in how they integrate women there. Honestly this case has given me a whole new insight into womens prisons! I've seen beauty salons, multi gyms, sports halls, education.
Still, it's a long time I guess....
I‘ve visited a few prisons as a volunteer but not recently. I suspect LL will be held in isolation for her own protection.

If I recall correctly, she also falsified a blood sugar reading in one of the poisoning cases, to make it seem that his level was higher than it was, then discouraged another nurse from taking a reading at the short interval they had been, because it was a better number and because of 'his poor feet'. So the baby went without a sugar level reading for longer, leaving a greater interval for complications and death.

MOO
Yes, I remember that one too now. She was so cunning but not nearly as smart as as she thought she was.

Also, I remember something about some false Datex reports she submitted? Claimed there was a problem with missing equipment in one?

And then the day she was taken off the unit, didn't she submit one claiming there was a problem with the port, which would allow air into the lines?

Last edited:
Alexithymia is something you find in conditions of Neurodiversity. MOO

Yes, but as neurodiversity is a huge, polygenic, genetically heterogenous, spectrum, so might be alexithymia. One can meet it in neurodivergent patients, and in people who otherwise would not meet the criteria. It is more commonly diagnosed in men, and a wide range of emotions being described by the word "bored" is usually telling. This is why Lucy being "bored" looks suggestive of it to me. She may not feel the compassion because she is not in touch with own emotions, so how can she empathize with the feelings of the parents? (It is interesting that she does a lot, though, like, giving a bath, or sending cards. Material objects or actions substitute for emotions). I wonder if her browsing the Facebooks had the same reason, curiosity about something she couldn't even name?

But, alexithymia or not, morality is something that people are expected to have. I was surprised that Lucy was a churchgoer. In most people, morality is inborn, but if not, religion could potentially teach it. That it went totally over her head, that she didn't have any inner moral compass, is shocking.

The cell pictured is a genpop cell. She will be spending all but an hour a day somewhere a good sight grimmer, and for the foreseeable future, she will never be alone. She's going to be segregated, she's going to be very isolated and bored, and she's going to be watched 24 hours a day by guards.

MOO
Firstly, thanks for all the informative posts (I've come across many across various threads).

Somehow, I have a feeling that Letby is going to enjoy playing the "victim of a miscarriage of justice" amongst her friends and family. In the UK, the end of this trial comes hot on the heels of a much reported case about a man who was wrongly convicted and spent 17 years in prison.

Firstly, thanks for all the informative posts (I've come across many across various threads).

Somehow, I have a feeling that Letby is going to enjoy playing the "victim of a miscarriage of justice" amongst her friends and family. In the UK, the end of this trial comes hot on the heels of a much reported case about a man who was wrongly convicted and spent 17 years in prison.
I am disappointed in the hospital trusts response. I believe they should have apologised unreservedly to the consultants publicly, not made it blatantly obvious that there is still beef there!
Not sure where I stand on the statutory verses not statutory inquiry either. Look what happened when they tried to do a quick job earlier on in this investigation.

I’d be really interested to hear more about Letby’s birth. Her friend said she’d had a difficult birth and been quite poorly, and she went on to idolise the nurses who cared for her, and follow the same career path.

I’d like to know just how poorly she was. Did she have collapses, did she require resuscitation, once, twice, was there one nurse in particular she’s been told about, did her mother talk about these nurses to her when she was a child, were these nurses credited with her being alive, were they thanked at times like birthdays and Christmases, was god the reason she lived, or fate, or was she a “fighter”. Was she a 34 weeker. Just how big a part of her identity was this.

I think some of these things could start offering some kind of insight into what was driving her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper