GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

I am always suspicious of people who dismiss trials by saying "there is no smoking gun", as though that means anything. I mean, what would a "smoking gun" look like here? CCTV of LL committing murder? There was no CCTV.
A ‘nice to have’ smoking gun in this trial would have been something like a Google search by Letby “effects of air embolism”, or “can air embolism be seen at post mortem”. That kind of thing.

Dr A, who is married, told the court he had been the subject of unrequited affection from Letby and said his wife had also been targeted by her on social media.

He denied being in a relationship with the nurse, despite the court hearing they had spent hours messaging one another late at night and had even taken a trip to London together.

It was the prosecution’s claim that she had attacked babies because she enjoyed the drama of being in a crisis situation with him.

He said he had suffered from severe anxiety for four years and believed he would struggle to give clear and accurate answers in court if his true identity was revealed.

Not quite unrequited , seeing as he was messaging her constantly and meeting up with her! I wonder what he means when he says she ‘targeted’ his wife on social media.
I reckon when he testified under oath he didn't know CPS had all their reams of messages, and if Letby took the stand, they would be exposing the love hearts, peek-a-boo behind the trees in the park, the outings to the shops/restaurants/London.

What a load of BS. imo

So pleased about the guilty verdict. She needs to be locked up and keys tossed out far into the ocean! Now if only we could bring those precious angels back..... Nothing makes us angrier than a person that's trusted and has access to do harm.

I know I've asked this before but does anyone know what, specifically, the legal reasons are that she cannot be compelled to attend her sentencing? She's a convicted murderer and does what she's told from now on. She doesn't get to choose her life.

So why can the court not order her appearance? It can't be a human rights issue as she's a prisoner who has been lawfully stripped of her free will to go, or not go, where she pleases.

The only thing I can think of is that, legally, she is in the custody of the Prison Service/Home Office rather than the court. However, surely a court can issue an order for any person to appear before it should it decide it reasonable?

Very confused on this.

I know I've asked this before but does anyone know what, specifically, the legal reasons are that she cannot be compelled to attend her sentencing? She's a convicted murderer and does what she's told from now on. She doesn't get to choose her life.

So why can the court not order her appearance? It can't be a human rights issue as she's a prisoner who has been lawfully stripped of her free will to go, or not go, where she pleases.

The only thing I can think of is that, legally, she is in the custody of the Prison Service/Home Office rather than the court. However, surely a court can issue an order for any person to appear before it should it decide it reasonable?

Very confused on this.

She can't be forced to attend, that's all there is to it.

In a statement to the BBC, Sir Duncan said: "I believe that the board was misled in December 2016 when it received a report on the outcome of the external, independent case reviews.

"We were told explicitly that there was no criminal activity pointing to any one individual, when in truth the investigating neonatologist had stated that she had not had the time to complete the necessary in-depth case reviews."

She can't be forced to attend, that's all there is to it.
I know this. I'd like to know why, specifically, this is the case, though.

The jury are under a legal compulsion to be there during the trial so why not a convicted defendant?

What prevents a court from issuing a warrant/order that the defendant attends?

The jury are under a legal compulsion to be there during the trial so why not a convicted defendant?

The judge can order it, but if she violates the order he van at most impose a 2 year sentence. Doesn’t really matter to someone about to serve life.

Omg I have just realised something...

Remember when Mr Johnson was reading out a text message from Letby to a colleague which said "Tony Called, he said he is pushing for the meeting to be no later than XYZ" and Mr Johnson said "Was Tony your union rep?"
I reckon that may have been a call Letby got from Tony Chambers the hospitals chief executive which was pushing for a meeting and ultimately her return to work etc

It’s simple. In the U.K., a judge does not have the power to order a convict to attend their own sentencing.

Remember when Mr Johnson was reading out a text message from Letby to a colleague which said "Tony Called, he said he is pushing for the meeting to be no later than XYZ" and Mr Johnson said "Was Tony your union rep?"
I reckon that may have been a call Letby got from Tony Chambers the hospitals chief executive which was pushing for a meeting and ultimately her return to work etc
What was Lucy’s reply to the question?

But could she be on first name terms with CEO?

Wouldn't she write: "Boss"?

She meant Union rep.

Besides,
this CEO Tony Ch. was the person who called Police to investigate.

What was Lucy’s reply to the question?
On August 8, Letby messages the nursing colleague: "Tony phoned. He's going to speak to Karen and insist on the review being no later than 1st week of Sept but said he definitely wouldn't advise pushing to get back to unit until it's taken place. Asked about social things and he said it's up to me but would advise not speaking with anyone in case any of them are involved with the review process. Thinks I should keep head down.and ride it out and can take further once over.

The judge can order it, but if she violates the order he van at most impose a 2 year sentence. Doesn’t really matter to someone about to serve life.
She's in custody, though, and is a convicted murderer. Surely a court can order her to appear, by force if necessary.

I'm currently sorting something for a friend, well an ex; she has a CCJ against someone who owes her money. There is a procedure by which you can apply to a court to serve a notice on a debtor to require them to attend court to answer questions about their finances. If they do not then they are subject to arrest.

Yet a convicted murderer seemingly cannot be compelled to attend their sentencing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KY Cliffhanger