GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is worrying, a mothers account from 2013…

She recalled the moment that she left her hospital room to go to the neonatal unit at 3am in the morning. Ms Whitfield told The Times: 'I don't know what it was, call it mother's instinct. I felt I needed to go down to the neonatal unit.

'I walked in — everything seemed quite calm. Lucy Letby was by [the cot] and then she walked out into the other room. I went to have a look at Felicity and within minutes all hell broke loose.'

It's pathetic is what it is! Bringing along 'accessories' to match the 'victim' appearance... Pleeeeeease! Jmo
I don’t understand it at all; it’s like she’s mirroring the parents, with their babies items/soft toys .. like a childlike “vulnerable” plea (claimed to be startled by everything at the start/jumpy etc but then there was no more mentioned of her “distractions” or jumpy nature), it’s as though she’s reverted into some strange reflection of the parents with cuddly blankets as though “she” is one of those parents who has lost a child. So weird.

For sure, she did remind me of an autistic person needing such items. However; then my thoughts are replaced with how well dr choc said she worked well under pressure and the “chaos” of resus etc, the parents distress after losing their baby she had messaged her friends about. Dr B even stated after the event with the triplets he suggested she had some time off and she had replied no, she was back in for her next shift Saturday (or words to that effect). He said he found that most unusual as the rest of the team were crumbling (on panaroma documentary) but LL was completely unphased. So hearing all that, that trauma and chaos and she was straight “back on it” as LL also claimed in her messages to her colleagues… she’s then here at the trial carrying blankets and fidget things. I Can’t figure that out.
It doesn't seem that strange to me. Leaving aside any question of guilt or innocence, this is how I see it.

As far as we know, the ward, and working with babies who were more vulnerable and needing more care WAS her comfort zone. She was cool and calm and able to operate in those conditions. She had a confidence and clinical remove that meant she held up in circumstances other staff found upsetting or stressful.

In a courtroom, she has no control whatsoever. And whatever is decided by the jury will determine the course of the rest of her life. I think most of us would be shaken in those circumstances. With a reported PTSD diagnosis, it's possible that accommodations were made to help her tolerate the courtroom environment. So, fidget toy and blankets for comfort and grounding. The judge also gave her a break on at least one occasion when she was on the stand when she asked for it, and I suspect this was also something that was granted because of her diagnosis.

MOO

Cheshire Constabulary statement from yesterday with their “Operation Hummingbird” logo - just a shame there has to be such a lovely logo.

A neonatal nurse has been found guilty of murdering new-born babies that she should have been caring for.

Lucy Letby, of Arran Avenue in Hereford, has been found guilty of seven counts of murder.

The 33-year-old has also been found guilty of seven counts of attempted murder.

She has been remanded into custody and is due to be sentenced at Manchester Crown Court on Monday 21 August.

Attachments

• 03FEE7E9-5ADB-4181-BB6B-73A23A30298D.jpeg
    03FEE7E9-5ADB-4181-BB6B-73A23A30298D.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 4
I actually feel for him a bit. What he did behind his wife's back was obviously very naughty but a lot of men do it. He must feel he was violated by letby, used for information.
Also, with us now having a clearer idea on the positioning of senior and middle nursing management, it makes you wonder which camps Dr choc was in with his colleagues whilst all this was unfolding. I still get get past the idea that LL said in court she got on with all the drs. What a liar, they were writing you letters of apology, much to their disgust!!

I might be in the minority, but I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. I’m sure he loved the ego boost he got from being her confidante and she seemed to worship him— insisting he needed to be called to emergencies over other physicians. I feel like his relationship with ll likely blinded him to her activities on the unit.
JMO.

As difficult as it is, we could probably all do without torturing ourselves regarding the motive. A) There is plenty we don't know about her past. Much of it could be entirely unknown to anyone but LL and her parents. I get an odd vibe from the whole family dynamic. B) I imagine doing something as horrific as this may require the convergence of a number of factors/motives, many of which may be opaque to even her.

Like many of you I have been following this case for years, long before LL was considered as suspect. I have also been on the mental journey from being convinced of her innocence through to being convinced of her guilt. I don't know what I had expected to feel when the verdicts finally came out, but I feel cold and sad.

My attention on this case will switch from LL to the system that enabled her. How can we prevent something like this from ever happening again?

I wasn't a regular poster but have been in these threads for a very long time. Many thanks to all of you who put in the hours to compile information, discuss and record the case. I hope you all find a little peace with this verdict.

Does anyone know if LL’s parents continued to show up in court after ll stopped going? Also do you think her parents will show up to the sentencing Monday and maybe read a statement? Just curious about the dynamics.
They didn't appear any more.
Just as their daughter.

I doubt they will honour the Court with their presence on Monday sentencing.

But maybe I'm wrong
Who knows? :)

I know there is a LOT coming out in various news outlets at the moment, but it is fascinating that certain details from the trial have not really been reported on that much. I'm thinking, Letby's suggestion of a conspiracy among the consultants ("Gang of Four"), the plumber debacle, and a detail I find chilling/revealing - when she reported that "dodgy port" and suggested it could cause air embolisms (I think I am recalling this detail correctly) when she knew things were coming to a head. Of course, she later suggested she didn't know what air embolisms were...

It doesn't seem that strange to me. Leaving aside any question of guilt or innocence, this is how I see it.

As far as we know, the ward, and working with babies who were more vulnerable and needing more care WAS her comfort zone. She was cool and calm and able to operate in those conditions. She had a confidence and clinical remove that meant she held up in circumstances other staff found upsetting or stressful.

In a courtroom, she has no control whatsoever. And whatever is decided by the jury will determine the course of the rest of her life. I think most of us would be shaken in those circumstances. With a reported PTSD diagnosis, it's possible that accommodations were made to help her tolerate the courtroom environment. So, fidget toy and blankets for comfort and grounding. The judge also gave her a break on at least one occasion when she was on the stand when she asked for it, and I suspect this was also something that was granted because of her diagnosis.

MOO
Perhaps, I do take your point. But there is also the other side of this where she claimed to be taken out in her pjs when she was arrested, it traumatised her etc; we see why she hesitated when NJ asked if she would like the footage shown to the court.. as we now see, she wasn’t quite the vulnerable, taken out in pjs trauma wreck that she implied. She’s in her infamous blue hoody and matching joggers when she answered the door! It’s difficult to know for sure if she has ptsd etc when so many things she’s said have been a complete lie. It does make one question about the needle stick injury.. was that deliberate, “woh is me” because people were asking questions.. it’s hard to know. She strikes me as very devious, as NJ said; very calculating women.

I completely see your point, of course. But there’s a part of me too that makes me think of this real pity party she’s painting. How can she be on one hand this flawless amazing persona at her job, but in her messages to dr choc and colleagues we see all sorts of conflicting odd behaviour. I posted upthread about a baby born in 2013..striking similar circumstances involving LL and another baby whose mother has shared her experience. If this has indeed been going on for as long as it has, I am amazed she even qualified.

So it brings me to two things; either her mentor/competencies etc was totally fudged and she should never have qualified (does that need reviewing one could ask) OR she really is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and has everyone well and truly fooled mimicking this meek mouse no-one would ever suspect. It’s really very dark, disturbing even. IMO

I don’t understand it at all; it’s like she’s mirroring the parents, with their babies items/soft toys .. like a childlike “vulnerable” plea (claimed to be startled by everything at the start/jumpy etc but then there was no more mentioned of her “distractions” or jumpy nature), it’s as though she’s reverted into some strange reflection of the parents with cuddly blankets as though “she” is one of those parents who has lost a child. So weird.
IMO
She was mirroring emotions all the time.
I even wrote about it some months ago.

IMO again
She is an empty shell.
Her eyes are empty in the mugshot.

JMO

The note

"Read it literally"

"
Criminologist David Wilson said Letby’s desire to be at the centre of a crisis was indicative of the mental disorder Munchausen’s syndrome. ‘She is creating a crisis around her, which is a form of Munchausen’s,’ he said.
‘Extraordinary stories are being told about what happens when she is on shift. She’s saying, “Look at all the things that occur when I’m around.”

They didn't appear any more.
Just as their daughter.

I doubt they will honour the Court with their presence on Monday sentencing.

But maybe I'm wrong
Who knows? :)
I have a feeling they are already busying themselves with an appeal for her release. I don’t think, after her mothers expression yesterday, they will be willing to take this verdict lightly imo. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are already planning it as we speak.

Like many of you I have been following this case for years, long before LL was considered as suspect.

I initially thought you were saying you were aware of this case before LL was named. That would be something!!!

But indeed, I think many of us at WS were initially not (totally) convinced there was a serial killer on the ward, especially as she was bailed twice; very little detail emerged between her first arrest and last arrest (some two years of radio silence, really) and most of the reporting initially suggested there was zero forensic evidence due to the lack of post-mortems. We later learned during the trial that there was an amount of forensic evidence, and lot more other evidence besides that.

Once the trial was up and running, I felt confident of LL's guilt from very early on. I think those on the fence changed their minds when LL put herself in the witness box, and started coming out with ridiculous conspiracy theories and contradictions.

Perhaps, I do take your point. But there is also the other side of this where she claimed to be taken out in her pjs when she was arrested, it traumatised her etc; we see why she hesitated when NJ asked if she would like the footage shown to the court.. as we now see, she wasn’t quite the vulnerable, taken out in pjs trauma wreck that she implied. She’s in her infamous blue hoody and matching joggers when she answered the door! It’s difficult to know for sure if she has ptsd etc when so many things she’s said have been a complete lie. It does make one question about the needle stick injury.. was that deliberate, “woh is me” because people were asking questions.. it’s hard to know. She strikes me as very devious, as NJ said; very calculating women.

I completely see your point, of course. But there’s a part of me too that makes me think of this real pity party she’s painting. How can she be on one hand this flawless amazing persona at her job, but in her messages to dr choc and colleagues we see all sorts of conflicting odd behaviour. I posted upthread about a baby born in 2013..striking similar circumstances involving LL and another baby whose mother has shared her experience. If this has indeed been going on for as long as it has, I am amazed she even qualified.

So it brings me to two things; either her mentor/competencies etc was totally fudged and she should never have qualified (does that need reviewing one could ask) OR she really is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and has everyone well and truly fooled mimicking this meek mouse no-one would ever suspect. It’s really very dark, disturbing even. IMO
I would like to clarify that everything I have said is my attempt to adhere strictly to sub judice, as we are meant to be trying to do until Monday. Ask me again after sentencing, and I'll go into greater detail about what I think one way or another about LL herself, and what I think her using sensory items means, if anything.

But for now, I've just laid it out in relation to what I, as a person with trauma disorders and neurodivergent conditions uses sensory items for. I have fidget toys. I have a weighted blanket. I have comfort items of clothing that I wear until they wear out. I have a soft toy that I sleep with every night. I'm almost forty two years old. I'm sure there are plenty on here who would think that last one in particular is very, very weird, but if I sleep with a toy, I don't get screaming night terrors, so, judge away. A toy is snuggly, and it means I don't need to medicate myself to sleep.

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members