GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her conviction that something was badly wrong at COCH and her actions to sleuth it herself left me in awe. I had no idea until her statement that any of the parents had tried to investigate their child's death or attempted murder themselves. Unbeknownst to her, she and the police were investigating in parallel. It must have been excruciating for them that they couldn't tell her until the point of arrest that they were there, that they were going to take that burden from her and take it all the way to criminal court.

MOO
Bumping this post for the link, in case anybody has missed it. ( have to click on her reply to get to the link)

Review conducted ( meeting feedback)
Parent told ' not a criminal matter'
parent was still awaiting inquest at this stage

Last edited:
There’s no reason why the statements and sentence couldn’t have been piped into her cell via speakers. She was in the court holding cell. It is a terrible injustice that that was allowed to happen. She will never read any of that.
which is exactly what many legal expert commentators have said these last few days.

Not sure why media (and some politicians eager to piggyback) want to pretend that there wasn't a solution

ETA
manchester Crown court + post 2 years of pandemic - it's not some pokey rural courthouse with no tech

Yeh a recent topic though is the dispute between docs and managers. As far as I can see the process isn’t something either of them have a choice in initiating. It should automatically have involved an external agency And seems to qualify for police involvement Either way.

im looking at those guidelines and thinking this automatically is not something that should have been contained within the hospital on seemingly any level. I’m also not seeing a reason why the docs didnt Think they had all they needed to bypass the managers if that was even the protocol.
There are always disputes between doctors and managers. They have different agendas. They also have different lines of accountability
Doctors tend to see things in terms of patient care, either on an individual or departmental basis - a narrow view.
Managers on the other hand have to run a complex organisation with many conflicting demands on limited resources - a wide view.

LL had a superiority complex and seemed to have a festering condescension/hatred for most people. Even her parents.

She either used people, hurt them, or both.

100% psychopath.
Or covert narcissist. This seems to match so well:

various expert, personal views in the G's letters pages.

A Consultant paediatrician &a senior clinical nurse with more than 40 years’ experience & somebody who was involved in the ' review of the NHS hospitals complaints system, in the wake of the Mid Staffordshire calamity' give their views

snippets from two quoted below, the rest is at the link:

'A neonatal database flagging a spike in deaths would not have helped – neonatologists, who submit the reports to these databases, were aware of the spike as it happened. They had identified the suspected perpetrator, but they were obstructed by their managers.
The consultants should have felt able to report suspicions directly to the police. An independent ombudsman might have given them more confidence, but a change in the management culture of the NHS is needed. No good will come from scapegoating individual managers via a public inquiry – this way of working has been imposed by Whitehall.'
-------
'The report ( Mid Staffs) identified a “toxic cocktail”, in which there was a defensiveness on the part of hospitals to hear and address legitimate concerns, a fear of complaining among patients and a lack of trust in the system. Patients witnessed pressure on clinical and other staff to be silent about untoward events. Since then, few of the recommendations of the review have been carried out to improve confidence that complaining is worthwhile and can achieve change.'

ETA - forgot to add, re her comments about a neonatal database:
AFAIK media reports have stated that the hospital/management/? did not inform the local baby deaths board about the first 4 cases!! It was in a link I posted a couple of days ago. ( Somebody here might have a better memory)

Last edited:

A Consultant paediatrician &a senior clinical nurse with more than 40 years’ experience & somebody who was involved in the ' review of the NHS hospitals complaints system, in the wake of the Mid Staffordshire calamity' give their views

'A neonatal database flagging a spike in deaths would not have helped – neonatologists, who submit the reports to these databases, were aware of the spike as it happened. They had identified the suspected perpetrator, but they were obstructed by their managers.
The consultants should have felt able to report suspicions directly to the police. An independent ombudsman might have given them more confidence, but a change in the management culture of the NHS is needed. No good will come from scapegoating individual managers via a public inquiry – this way of working has been imposed by Whitehall.'
-------
'The report ( Mid Staffs) identified a “toxic cocktail”, in which there was a defensiveness on the part of hospitals to hear and address legitimate concerns, a fear of complaining among patients and a lack of trust in the system. Patients witnessed pressure on clinical and other staff to be silent about untoward events. Since then, few of the recommendations of the review have been carried out to improve confidence that complaining is worthwhile and can achieve change.'

That is exactly right.

-------

Is there any other line of work where if you suspect your colleague of killing people, you are told to keep quiet about it? No wonder people mistrust the medical profession.

There are always disputes between doctors and managers. They have different agendas. They also have different lines of accountability
Doctors tend to see things in terms of patient care, either on an individual or departmental basis - a narrow view.
Managers on the other hand have to run a complex organisation with many conflicting demands on limited resources - a wide view.
For sure 100%. One difference in responsibility is protecting their staffs interests for instance from in work false accusations, what I don’t get is the dispute by itself. Neither party had any say on the decision to involve that second external agency when it came to the tragic deaths on the unit. They are not as far as I know allowed to not involve that second agency. If that’s the case either group could make that call.

there is one factor. How were these deaths recorded at the hospital? Did they meet the qualifications for “unexpected“ or “sudden” if so in which case that call should have been made.

from my understanding that document which details child bereavement official processes in England that second agency should have been called with baby a And many others. The death rate alone is enough. My thoughts were with that second agency involvement a more thorough investigation would have occurred in which case the consultants would have been able to relay that information about LL. then presumingly it Wouldn’t have taken so long.

Reactions: IDK
There’s no reason why the statements and sentence couldn’t have been piped into her cell via speakers. She was in the court holding cell. It is a terrible injustice that that was allowed to happen. She will never read any of that.
She is going to be provided with copies of the statements and sentence but as part of her motive seemed to be to witness the parents' pain and grief, and she kept paper "souvenirs" of her attacks under her bed (handover sheets, resus notes, blood gas reports) I don't think giving her copies is the best idea.

Is there any other line of work where if you suspect your colleague of killing people, you are told to keep quiet about it? No wonder people mistrust the medical profession.

Apples and oranges isn't it? To make it a useful comparison I think you need to compare professions which routinely deal with deaths and injuries where the vast majority of employees are dedicated to saving lives not taking them. ( In comparison to eg, working at M&S or NatWest)

The one I was in it was my legal duty to raise any kind of safeguarding issue and IME concerns escalated were progressed by senior management immediately.
I don't recall my line managers at a senior level ever saying ' I can't act because I don't have enough information' ( Kelly said that to Brearley in mid 2016)
They were competent enough to realise that they were responsible to instigate an investigation to garner information.
(I wasn't in health sector)

Or covert narcissist. This seems to match so well:

Yes sure, probably an overlap, as I say she has a superiority complex (self-aggrandising is part of psychopathy) but the psychopath does actually cause serious outright harm, callously (not just killers - many 'ordinary' people in life, politicians, business leaders, many in powerful positions eg police), while according to the article covert narcissists are more on the passive aggressive side. Which I admit Letby seems as well. Hence the overlap.

Such monumental task.
Top notch professionalism.

Very interesting to watch.
Have just listened to that while doing some chores.
They should be very proud.

I bet some of the Countess's Board and the senior managers (who scarpered after LL was arrested) watch it and I hope they're struck by the professionalism of Cheshire Police's team and the duty of care they showed to the families

Anyway - interesting snippet in there for those members who are interested in LL's psych make-up. Apparently she was making copious notes all through the period from her suspension to the final arrest. I can't recall the DS's actual words but he said she showed a compulsion to put things on paper all the way thru. ( Obviously she must have been careful to not jot down anything too incriminating or they'd have used more of her notes in the trial. I'm assuming that their content was her mostly self-serving, building her defence case but he didn't say. Also guessing that those notes will end up being given to the Inquiry, once the criminal prosecutions are over. They're bound to name a ton of colleagues incl senior management)

Last edited:
I won’t lie I think the police found those papers because she seriously underestimated the situation. I don’t think she felt much fear about keeping them hence saw no reason to get rid of. It’s so blatant I can’t see any other option. Serious over confidence. She probably never intended to dispose of them. Jmo
But then why were further notes and medical notes found during the second search a year later ? None of it makes any sense to me.

I just watched that documentary and they even said on there that they found a lot more notes etc during the second search in 2019.

But then why were further notes and medical notes found during the second search a year later ? None of it makes any sense to me.

I just watched that documentary and they even said on there that they found a lot more notes etc during the second search in 2019.
was that second search the search at the parents' house?

was that second search the search at the parents' house?
The parents house, Lucy’s house and her workplace were all searched on her first arrest.

Lucy’s house and parents house were searched again a year later.

So where the bloody hell was she keeping those 6 pages of medical notes which then appear in her parents property a year later during her second arrest and search ? I am convinced she had some kind of outside stash hidden somewhere near her parents house.

nothing much at the new link but posting it anyway:

Lucy Letby’s devoted parents may never return to the family home where she grew up, neighbours have told MailOnline.

Friends believe the couple, who have turned into virtual recluses since their daughter’s arrest in 2018, are likely to move away from Hereford, and closer to where she is likely to spend her whole-life prison term: HMP Low Newton near Durham, more than 250 miles away.
A neighbour told MailOnline that they have 'hardly seen' Mr and Mrs Letby since their daughter's arrest.

'At first, they spent all their time at the back of the house and never even answered the phone,' the local alleged.

‘Then when the trial began last year, they rented a flat in Manchester so that they could attend the proceedings.

‘This is a friendly cul-de-sac and people do feel for them, but I guess there will always be a bit of finger-pointing, and more so as new people move in who never knew John and Susan.’

Another neighbour, who also asked not to be identified, said they felt that Mr Letby, 77, might prefer to stay at their home near the centre of Hereford, but they understood that Mrs Letby was determined they would base themselves closer to where their daughter was imprisoned.

‘She’s their life really, and they’re convinced of her innocence, but eventually they may have to let her go,’ said the neighbour.

and another link - the title is Ouch! '

'Bosses with sociology degrees are making life and death decisions'​

‘There doesn’t seem to be any system to make them accountable and for them to justify their actions in a systematic
'Dr Brearey said a regulatory body was needed to stop the revolving door of NHS executives moving between hospital trusts.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: ‘Doctors and nurses have regulatory bodies they have to answer to.

‘Quite often we’ll see senior managers who have no apparent accountability for what they do in our trusts, and they move to other trusts, and you worry about their future actions.

There doesn’t seem to be any system to make them accountable and for them to justify their actions in a systematic way.'
( General Medical Council agree)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members