GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They had a lot of time to cover their tracks. They had a lot of time to destroy evidence. They had a lot of time to agree and practice their story.

Be thankful that she has been convicted. If the decision had been made on forensic evidence alone she would have walked away from this.

Very true. I know I was really worried for a while that she would get away scott free

I have to say i'm pleased with the duration of the sentences, we all know sadly how soft some sentences can be over here.

I was just having a look at the details of the right of rape victims to anonymity, and found this on the CPS website:

So for SH to have a legal right to anonymity, a rape allegation against someone must at least have been made, and for the judge to state as fact that she'd been raped I think someone must have been convicted. I don't think he'd say that if charges had never been brought or the person had been acquitted.

The press won't have reported on it as, well, she had a right to anonymity!

It only means an allegation was made. Recently the lady who accused an MP of repeatedly raping her in woods as a child whilst police stood guard, gave up her right to anonymity. No body has been charged with that.

The victim in a case of rape or one of the sexual offences listed in the 1992 Act is entitled to 'anonymity' in the press. Once an allegation of one of the relevant offences has been made, nothing can be published which is likely to lead members of the public to identify the victim.

Unless I am misunderstanding this, doesn't it just mean that once someone has made a claim that that have been raped, they are entitled to anonymity ....... not necessarily that a trial and guilty verdict have occurred?

IF she was raped at 13 then what the hell was her mother thinking, allowing her to have a sexual relationship with MN at the age of 14, when he was 21. THAT is rape under the law, isn't it?

Andy Davies Verified account  ‏@adavies4 · 37 secs37 seconds ago
Det Sup Mike Courtiour: Matthews & Hoare have never shown any remorse for their grotesque actions...

Andy Davies Verified account  ‏@adavies4 · 45 secs45 seconds ago
Courtiour: ....today’s sentence reflects their refusal to take full responsibility for their callous crimes #beckywatts

They are still waiting to be charged and sentenced on the *advertiser censored* etc charges though aren't they??

I just hope the sentences for those will not be concurrent.

ETA NOOOOOO .... Alyce just seen your post above. Where did you read this ? FGS.

UK&Eire FB page

I really need a Shauna long ciggie! And about a gallon of tea. I'm shattered!

It only means an allegation was made. Recently the lady who accused an MP of repeatedly raping her in woods as a child whilst police stood guard, gave up her right to anonymity. No body has been charged with that.
Yes, as I said it means an allegation was officially made, presumably at the time it happened. The judge stating as fact that she was raped (as opposed to saying SH "reported being raped at 13", for example) indicates to me someone was probably convicted.

ETA: And on the MP case, no judge in the world would state in court that the woman had been raped without a conviction.

In my whole-hearted belief that SH was completely and directly involved in every aspect of what happened to Becky, it is THIS that I can not, for the life of me, understand. Utterly unbelievable.

Indeed and maybe this suggests that an alternative site was used for the dismemberment process.

I think what's making it hard for me to accept about SH time given is he fact Becky didn't get the chance to have her own family, it was taken away from her however SH could potentially have another family on release.
BIB - I imagine any children she might have will be taken straight into care for their own safety.

Very true. I know I was really worried for a while that she would get away scott free

So true. Though the sentences are less than many thought they would get, thankk God they got convictions and Becky got some kind of justice!

I think SH may well need a new identity when she leaves prison though.

Hmm interesting that SH got separate penalties for some charges but NM didnt

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Wonder if that was because he had already put in a guilty plea for those charges.

But sadly, doesnt make any difference for SH anyway, they are all running concurrent...

Can we just remember at the point that the allegation would have been made she was 13 years old and had not committed any crimes (as far as we know). She was a CHILD. I'm not 'guilt-tripping', it just feels uncomfortable to question the child she once was, and opens a can of worms in my opinion. Where do you draw the line?

Nathan Matthews has been jailed for a minimum of 33 years for murdering his stepsister Becky Watts, 16, in a sexually-motivated kidnap plot.
His girlfriend Shauna Hoare, 21, has been sentenced to 17 years for manslaughter.

At Bristol Crown Court, Judge Mr Justice Dingemans said he was sure on the evidence "that the planned kidnap of Becky was for a sexual purpose".

Matthews suffocated his stepsister at her home in Bristol on 19 February.

The judge appeared emotional as he paid tribute to Becky's family at the end of sentencing.

Judge Dingemans told Hoare she had been convicted of manslaughter because she had participated in a kidnap where any "sober and reasonable person" would have known some harm would come to Becky.

He said the case was of a "particularly high" seriousness "because of the planning of the abduction for a sexual purpose, the taking of the implements described and a weapon (albeit non lethal) and the murder of Becky".

He added: "In my judgment the behaviour of both Nathan Matthews and Shauna Hoare in feigning concern with the family, as the family desperately searched for Becky, is a further, and serious, aggravating feature.

"In my judgement the appropriate sentence for Mr Matthews is a mandatory life sentence, with a minimum term of 33 years. This means that Mr Matthews, as a 28-year-old man, will be 61 before he might be considered for release, and the reality is that he might never be released."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34812317

Wonder if that was because he had already put in a guilty plea for those charges.

But sadly, doesnt make any difference for SH anyway, they are all running concurrent...

I don't like this concurrent business. Those sentences should be added up in my opinion.

That said, I think I am satisfied with the sentences given he could have got manslaughter and she could have got acquitted. Their lives are going to be an absolute living hell.

Matthews will be aged 61 before he can be considered for released

Here’s some more detail on what Mr Justice Dingemans said as he jailed Matthews.

He said: “I am sure, on the evidence that was adduced at the trial, that the planned kidnap of Becky was for a sexual purpose.

“It is apparent involving as it did her proposed abduction for a sexual purpose but in my judgment it does not require a whole life order in the circumstances where Nathan Matthews had been of previous good character and had directed the police after a long delay to Becky’s remains.

“This is not in any sense to diminish the loss suffered by Becky’s family.

“In my judgment the behaviour of both Nathan Matthews and Shauna Hoare in feigning concern with the family as the family desperately searched and looked for Becky is a further and serious aggravating feature.

“In my judgment the appropriate sentence for Mr Matthews is a mandatory life sentence with a minimum term of 33 years.

“This means that Mr Matthews, as a 28-year-old man, will be 61 before he might be considered for release and the reality is that he might never be released.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-live-updates-6823671

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member