GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd forgotten about there being child abuse images. The press have already mentioned SH as one of the four on trial so it seems a bit odd to have her name redacted in the court listing - don't know if that's happened since yesterday as didn't look at Courtserve for listing before today.

I agree that I think KD and JP have plead guilty & the fact that they have done so will be a mitigating factor when sentencing. Agree very odd that it appears DD was the twin who got conditional bail when he is being tried, yet KD who isn't being tried & we therefore assume has plead guilty, appears to still be on remand till sentencing? Really making me wonder whether the name of the correct brother was given as receiving bail in August!

My take on it is that the evidence against KD is stronger - it was his home ( and that of JP ) where RW was found. So possibly he, and his partner JP, have decided to plead guilty to the charges against them, with a hope of leniency in the sentencing.

Conversely, DD was out on bail, so - again just surmising - he may feel that the evidence against him is not as strong ( hence him being allowed bail ) and therefore he is going to go for a not guilty plea.

It's going to be extremely difficult for the jurors being part of such a high profile case given how much information has been in the media already, and with the influence of social media. Bristol is a city but anyone on social media there is bound to have seen all the comments from various family members of RW and the defendants, as well as hearing people talk about the case in the community. I really don't envy the jurors in this case. I've so far managed to avoid jury duty in my life and hope to continue to do so!

They'll need to change the laws soon, they are so outdated. Not googling something is so different from never having heard of something.
Nearly everyone is on the internet and almost everyone likes to talk.

Avoided jury duty so far as well, my friend's mentally ill sister bless her has had to go in twice the past 15 years...
It's supposed to be random but sometimes you wonder...

It's going to be extremely difficult for the jurors being part of such a high profile case given how much information has been in the media already, and with the influence of social media. Bristol is a city but anyone on social media there is bound to have seen all the comments from various family members of RW and the defendants, as well as hearing people talk about the case in the community. I really don't envy the jurors in this case. I've so far managed to avoid jury duty in my life and hope to continue to do so!

I was slightly surprised, when it was announced that the trial would be held in Bristol. I know it is a city, but even so, I think it would have been nigh on impossible to choose jurors who did not have quite a bit of pre knowledge of this case.

I was slightly surprised, when it was announced that the trial would be held in Bristol. I know it is a city, but even so, I think it would have been nigh on impossible to choose jurors who did not have quite a bit of pre knowledge of this case.
Me too! In America they seem to move trials to different places because of that very reason but I don't know if they ever do here.

Morning all ... today could be the day that we hear some details and possibly find out what's going on with KD & JP!

Morning mrazda, let's hope so. Definitely going to be an interesting case to follow. Hopefully the family will soon get some answers.

It's definitely an interesting one in that the family situation makes it fairly unique.

Morning all - indeed today we should get to understand why only 4 are on trial and lets hope Becky's family get the justice she and they deserve.

I know - how much will Becky's family have heard before it's all laid out in open court; i.e do they get told any info over what has been in the press beforehand?

I know - how much will Becky's family have heard before it's all laid out in open court; i.e do they get told any info over what has been in the press beforehand?
I wondered the same, I imagine it would be unbearable to hear awful things, see evidence, for the first time in the court :(

I think ( hope ) they do get told about things beforehand. I remember, with April Jones, after the trial, there was an interview with her father and he said they had been told some stuff before the trial. But I suppose there is a limit to what the police can reveal.

I did not realise, until reading the live blog this morning ( thanks Bos ) that the public have been allowed into court for the past 2 days, so they have been listening to the legal arguments. Always thought that was done in private.

Apparently they've whittled down the potential jury members from 62 to 24 with the final 12 + 2 extras being chosen this morning then sworn in http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Trial-...-Becky-Watts/story-27932458-detail/story.html

"After the panel completed a seven-question questionnaire, assessing their suitability to try the case, the panel of 62 was whittled down to 24."

I wonder if the potential jurors are asked if they've already read extensive reporting of the case? It occurs to me that it might be quite easy to avoid jury duty by simply saying that you've read up on it already in the press and social media. Including sites such as Websleuths ...

I did not realise, until reading the live blog this morning ( thanks Bos ) that the public have been allowed into court for the past 2 days, so they have been listening to the legal arguments. Always thought that was done in private.

No, they just have to make sure that the people who will be on the jury don't hear any of it.

[video=twitter;651699993582112768]https://twitter.com/rupertevelyn/status/651699993582112768[/video]

[video=twitter;651704928625369089]https://twitter.com/jonkay01/status/651704928625369089[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj