UK UK - Rory Johnson-Hatfield, 29, York, 20 Nov 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I find it commendable that he voluntarily came back to York to at least try to find the pub.

Yes, I wonder where he lives normally. And I wonder what time he got in after he was left alone in the pub. There's a relatively short time frame from when Rory was seen (either 12:15 according to room mate, or 12:30 according to drinking mate, and probably somewhere in between) to when CCTV caught him at 12:47.

Timeline (is this correct?)

11:30 Rory, stranger 1 and stranger 2 drinking in the hotel bar (aka Wetherspoons)
12:15 Rory comes back to the room according to his mate, then goes out again
12:30 Rory leaves unknown pub to go to the loo and doesn't return
12:47 Rory caught on camera near Castle Mills which is quite close to the hotel and next to the river.

I think these middle two times are possibly blurred. I think Rory and mate were out on the town, went back to hotel quite early for some reason, Rory drinking alone in bar downstairs, meets other two hotel guests, the older man retires to bed, the younger one and Rory go somewhere for a drink, Rory leaves unexpectedly around 12:15, goes back to room and for whatever reason sets off back out for a walk on his own.

All this makes me think the unknown pub must be quite close by to the hotel.

Ah brilliant! Thank you!

This is the streetview of that exact spot Rory was seen on CCTV

ETA: Map Updated
It looks like he was walking in a southerly direction down Tower St, I'm trying to work out if there's a way to cross the Foss from the direction he's come from. Looks convoluted.

Either way he was too close to the Ouse for my liking.

PS it also looks to me from the CCTV stills that he was running.

Yes, I wonder where he lives normally. And I wonder what time he got in after he was left alone in the pub. There's a relatively short time frame from when Rory was seen (either 12:15 according to room mate, or 12:30 according to drinking mate, and probably somewhere in between) to when CCTV caught him at 12:47.

Timeline (is this correct?)

11:30 Rory, stranger 1 and stranger 2 drinking in the hotel bar (aka Wetherspoons)
12:15 Rory comes back to the room according to his mate, then goes out again
12:30 Rory leaves unknown pub to go to the loo and doesn't return
12:47 Rory caught on camera near Castle Mills which is quite close to the hotel and next to the river.

I think these middle two times are possibly blurred. I think Rory and mate were out on the town, went back to hotel quite early for some reason, Rory drinking alone in bar downstairs, meets other two hotel guests, the older man retires to bed, the younger one and Rory go somewhere for a drink, Rory leaves unexpectedly around 12:15, goes back to room and for whatever reason sets off back out for a walk on his own.

All this makes me think the unknown pub must be quite close by to the hotel.

From the direction Rory is coming from on the CCTV my money is on one of the pubs down by the side of the river/Kings Staith area.

The list I have is -

Yates
Slug & lettuce
O'Neills
The Kings Head
The Lowther
Plonkers
Stone Roses Bar

It looks like he was walking in a southerly direction down Tower St, I'm trying to work out if there's a way to cross the Foss from the direction he's come from. Looks convoluted.

Either way he was too close to the Ouse for my liking.

PS it also looks to me from the CCTV stills that he was running.

The only way is across Castle Mills Bridge, explains the other sighting in Castle Mills family have confirmed. But just where did he go from there?

The only way is across Castle Mills Bridge, explains the other sighting in Castle Mills family have confirmed. But just where did he go from there?

So this just makes less sense...

c11:30 hotel
c 12:00 at unknown pub
12:15-12:30 leave pub goes back to hotel and goes out again
12:39 Tower Street
12:47 Castle Mills.

It doesn't make sense, geographically, does it? What's your take as a local, Skibs?

I find it commendable that he voluntarily came back to York to at least try to find the pub.

it is commendable and I am not accusing that witness of being involved I'm sure he is being helpful with what he knows ( Iain Huntley also took part in the search for the 2 girls he murdered!) anyway he too was not from York or that area so that makes me think was he staying in a hotel for the night if so was a different or the same hotel has Rory in the travelodge? If so how come he made it back to the hotel if-if he was the last person to see him that night

Could it be he went back to the hotel to get something and intended to go back to the pub where his new drinking buddy was waiting? Might explain why he seems to be running, maybe he was worried that his new friend might leave. just speculating

Could it be he went back to the hotel to get something and intended to go back to the pub where his new drinking buddy was waiting? Might explain why he seems to be running, maybe he was worried that his new friend might leave. just speculating
Getting some more cash? ID? Cash card? Phone on charge? Change of clothes?

Trying to think of reasons why I've popped back to my hotel on a night out

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

So this just makes less sense...

c11:30 hotel
c 12:00 at unknown pub
12:15-12:30 leave pub goes back to hotel and goes out again
12:39 Tower Street
12:47 Castle Mills.

It doesn't make sense, geographically, does it? What's your take as a local, Skibs?

Tower St to the hotel is only about a 5 min walk, 2-3 if you were jogging/running (Rory seemed to be jogging in the pics)

I'm a bit stumped cags, all I can think is he was looking for someone, or maybe lost his phone? Went looking for it? Didn't they say his phone was going straight to answer machine?

But he's running the wrong way. The bridge to cross the river Foss (referred to as Castle Mills bridge) is just next to the hotel. So if he crossed that and headed up Tower Street, that would make sense. But he's not, he's running back down Tower Street, back towards the bridges.

Skibs, please would you add Castle Mill bridge to your map, just cos it's not marked as that on google maps.

He's running the opposite way though, back to the hotel.

he might have returned to hotel to take something back for his friend in the hotel

Done cags, I've tagged Skeldergate Bridge too

Thank you! So, the next bit of the puzzle is exactly where in "Castle Mills" he was 8 minutes later at 12:47. I suppose what happened before that could be completely irrelevant. 12:47 was the last confirmed sighting of him, we know he was alone and are not looking for a third party.

Sadly, I still think it's most likely he fell in either of the rivers and will be found downstream fairly soon.

Castle Mills is basically the area around the bridge, after the bridge you're into Fishergate. It's concerning they haven't shown the other CCTV, which family must have seen to confirm it was Rory. What did it show? It's possible the quality is just poor and would have been of no real help, it just has me worried he was near the water at the time.

Castle Mills is basically the area around the bridge, after the bridge you're into Fishergate. It's concerning they haven't shown the other CCTV, which family must have seen to confirm it was Rory. What did it show? It's possible the quality is just poor and would have been of no real help, it just has me worried he was near the water at the time.

If the quality was poor the family couldn't have given a positive ID. You think maybe it was in the car park area next to the water?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back