UK UK - Rory Johnson-Hatfield, 29, York, 20 Nov 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rory is still missing... from that Norhern Echo link:
Extensive searches of the rivers have been carried out since Rory Johnson-Hatfield, 29, from Skipton, went missing during a night out in York last November, but his disappearance remains a mystery.

In 2011, the deaths of three people in the rivers, including bar tender Richard Horrocks, prompted The Press to launch its Think, Don’t Swim campaign, aimed at raising awareness of the dangers of jumping or falling in the water and which included a hard-hitting film.

Other more recent deaths in York's rivers include student Megan Roberts, 20, soldier Tyler Pearson, 18, and music store employee Ben Clarkson, 22, who all died in 2014.

Soldier Stephen Fry, 20, died in in 2015, and, in July of this year apprentice builder Christian Palmer, 20, also lost his life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-38037760

The mother of a man missing for a year wants police to again search the River Ouse for her son.
Rory Johnson-Hatfield, 29, from Skipton, was last seen in York in the early hours of Friday 20 November 2015 following a night out.
Elizabeth Johnson said her "gut instinct" was that her son was not in the river, but it was "a nightmare" not knowing.

snipped

North Yorkshire Police said: "We believe the strongest hypothesis is that Rory fell into the river in the area of City Mills."
Currently there are "no more lines of inquiry" after numerous searches of the river, said the force.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-38037760

The mother of a man missing for a year wants police to again search the River Ouse for her son.
Rory Johnson-Hatfield, 29, from Skipton, was last seen in York in the early hours of Friday 20 November 2015 following a night out.
Elizabeth Johnson said her "gut instinct" was that her son was not in the river, but it was "a nightmare" not knowing.

snipped

North Yorkshire Police said: "We believe the strongest hypothesis is that Rory fell into the river in the area of City Mills."
Currently there are "no more lines of inquiry" after numerous searches of the river, said the force.

It's so sad but she can't expect the police to search again, particularly if she doesn't really believe he's in the river. Poor woman must be so desperate but the family would be better raising funds for private searches or even a private investigator if they suspect any foul play.

I must say bodies to usually tend to surface in the Ouse, but the timing was so bad as the flooding was significant and widespread in that area. I can't help but think he's in an old derelict warehouse or something. Where are you, Rory?!

Why am I writing this? Quite simply I am interested and can't stand unsolved mysteries . Last years vanishing of CM is just one of those things that has so many loose ends twists and turns none of which to date have not been answered in a satisfactory manner.

During the search of the landfill site things have gone quiet and there is no point in speculating any further until the search is finished.

So I wandered around Websleuths out of curiosity .

This is when I tripped over the case of missing Rory Johnson. I glanced at it in the first instance, thinking like many he had slipped in to the river. Then I saw the photographs of Rory who went missing in November 2015 and actually couldn't get my hat on at how similar both Rory and Corrie looked albeit several years in age difference.

This is what led me to have a look at the circumstances in which they went missing.

Quite simply at first glance they both went missing after a night out on the drink. That is Fact.

• They both went missing in the Autumn - 2015/then/2016 respectively Fact
  • They are both described as friendly, outgoing, chatty socialable people. Fact
  • However they were both seen last on CCTV by themselves. Fact
  • They both appear confident and comfortable in their surroundings
  • They both have knowledge of the town/city they were in albeit they were not in their home towns. Fact
Perception

• Both very similar in looks
  • Both very similar in style poise and as reported Character
  • Both appear to be jogging or running last time Stills or CCTV that have been released
  • Both appeared to avoid any other public CCTVs
  • Both are Photogenic and good looking
  • Both appear to take pride in their looks and appearance which happens to be very similar

What makes two sociable people Jog/Run the last time we the public saw them?

• They were late
  • They were frightened

Personal opinion only. Neither gentleman appeared frightened so they were late and rushing.
If they were late and rushing they had a pre-arranged meeting that they were quite comfortable with.

I can't articulate my thoughts very well but I can't help but feel both Corrie and Rory are missing under very similar circumstances in different towns and cities. I do wonder whether they were part of the same sort of SM sites and networks that attract the same type of people.

Regards
R

Film of Rory's Last Movements

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/News/15224313.Film_of_Rory___s_last_movements/

[FONT=&quot]A VIDEO tracing a man’s last known movements in York before he disappeared without trace has been made by his family and posted online.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The family of Rory Johnson-Hatfield hopes the reconstruction, filmed at a series of locations across the city centre which were visited by Rory during a night out on November 20 in 2015, will jog someone’s memory and solve the mystery of what happened to him.[/FONT]

Just seen this on my local news so thought it worth posting.

Father thinks missing son may be in Cornwall

There have been possible sightings in Cornwall of a man who went missing while on a night out in York in 2015.

North Yorkshire Police initially thought he had fallen in the River Ouse but his parents disagree.

Now a member of Rory's family believes they saw him in Fowey and there have been other possible sightings at Watergate Bay and Porth.

Rory's father Doug, who is staying in Newquay, said: "We'd never had any leads or sightings in the two years and four months since Rory's been missing, so it was important that we checked this one [sighting in Fowey] out.

"He's never been to Cornwall as far as I know. It's a good place to get away to - it's small, it's remote, it's beautiful and the people down here are wonderful - but it is a place where you possibly escape and start a new life."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-43377890?

28 JUN 2018 - Missing man Rory Johnson-Hatfield featured on Crimewatch as family faces further distress

The father of a missing man who was last seen in November 2015 has said he is "frightened" at the lack of sightings of his son despite increased publicity.

His father, Doug Hatfield, travelled to Fowey from his home in France earlier this year after a possible sighting of his son.

"What we thought was a sighting didn’t turn out to be Rory."
Doug and Rory's mother, Liz Johnson, appeared on the BBC show Crimewatch Roadshow yesterday (June 27).
---
"A number of searches have taken place at regular times since Rory went missing in the early hours on Friday, November 20, 2015, with police carrying out a wide and thorough investigation. However, there are missing time gaps from that that night and it’s hoped that our appeal on Crimewatch Roadshow will jog someone’s memory and bring fresh information to light.
---
Speaking in March, Rory's father said: "If he has left home he had some very good reasons to leave. We are more aware of a few reasons why he would have left now.
---
In a statement shortly after Mr Johnson-Hatfield went missing, a spokesman from North Yorkshire Police said: "The 29-year-old was last seen by a friend at 12.15am on Friday, 20 November 2015 when he left the York Central Travel Lodge on Piccadilly where he was staying.

"It has been established that Rory went to a nearby pub with a fellow hotel guest, having earlier met him and his father in The Postern Gate Wetherspoon pub at around 11.30pm on Thursday.

"Enquiries have shown that Rory left the pub at about 12.30am. However, he never returned to the hotel and he failed to turn up for work in Skipton on Friday evening.

now all read this:
Police believed he went in the river because he was last seen on the balcony of a care home.

"People who saw him said he looked like he was being chased. The care home’s CCTV picked him up on the balcony. The river has been searched and they never found anything so we are hopeful that he is still alive."

(more info at link and also all CCTV footage from street and from care home)
Crimewatch appeal for information on missing man last seen in 2015

Last edited:
Timeline of events
  • 19th November, 7:20pm - Rory arrived at York Railway Station
  • 7:50pm - Seen on CCTV leaving the station. He headed towards the Travelodge he would be staying at that night
  • Around 8:30pm - Arrived at the Travelodge, stayed here for around 15-20 mins before heading towards where the German Christmas Market was being held, with his friend. When they arrived at the Christmas market, they had a drink and Rory uploaded to his Facebook page
  • 9:06pm - Seen on CCTV arriving at the Revolution bar. Rory and his friend stayed for a couple of drinks before heading to The Postern Gate Wetherspoon pub, which was next door to the Travelodge they were staying at
  • Around 10pm - Arrived at Wetherspoons, ordered food and had a pint with their meal. Rory then left his friend and got chatting to two Scottish men he met at the bar
  • 20th November, around 00:10am - Seen leaving Wetherspoons and arriving at the Travelodge with the two Scottish men; they stayed in the hotel for around 15-20 minutes
  • 00:27am - Rory seen leaving Travelodge with the younger of the two men he met at the bar
  • 00:28am - Both men seen on CCTV on Castle Mill Bridge
  • 00:32am - Seen heading down Tower Street
  • 00:36am - Rory is seen on Ali G's (takeaway) CCTV, alone, running back down Tower Street. The Scottish man has claimed that he and Rory went to a small pub where Rory went to the bar and ordered 2 drinks, though this is a tight timescale
  • 00:38am - Rory seen on CCTV walking over Skeldergate bridge
  • Shortly after - Rory seen running towards the City Mills accommodation. A service user who resides here saw Rory running and was concerned someone might be chasing him, however no one was behind him. The area was flooded, so Rory would have had to walk through the entrance of the car park, then climb underneath some barriers to enter the building through the gates at the back.

• 00:45am - Rory is last seen on CCTV on a balcony at the accommodation (care home).
  • 00:52am - Rory's phone updated through the WiFi at the accommodation

Last edited:
Rory is still missing... from that Norhern Echo link:

Extensive searches of the rivers have been carried out since Rory Johnson-Hatfield, 29, from Skipton, went missing during a night out in York last November, but his disappearance remains a mystery.

In 2011, the deaths of three people in the rivers, including bar tender Richard Horrocks, prompted The Press to launch its Think, Don’t Swim campaign, aimed at raising awareness of the dangers of jumping or falling in the water and which included a hard-hitting film.

Other more recent deaths in York's rivers include student Megan Roberts, 20, soldier Tyler Pearson, 18, and music store employee Ben Clarkson, 22, who all died in 2014.

Soldier Stephen Fry, 20, died in in 2015, and, in July of this year apprentice builder Christian Palmer, 20, also lost his life.

Wow, one would think that with so many death there in the body of water that city would make bridge barriers or fences everywhere by now.

I know this area very well. There are no small pubs where you would have time to order a drink in the 4 minutes between CCTV sightings at Tower St and Ali G's pizza place unless you literally ran there and the bar was empty. This is the lie. Something happened down Tower St. I have my suspicions. Very sad. 4 more people in the rivers in York last month. Be careful folks!

Thanks for this, I can't believe it's been 5 years already, and still no sign of him at all. Surely he must have ended up in the water and been swept away; the river was so high at the time and there was flooding further downstream so he could have floated further/faster than normal.
That is true, however bodies in the water are frequent in York sadly and are usually recovered within the week as there are lots of points to get caught, slowed down. When we have had flooding before (usually twice a year quite badly at least), it doesn’t seem to hamper recovery either. Sadly a girl was seen last week entering via a bridge at lunchtime and despite several days of river searches her body has not yet been recovered.

It took quite a while, 5 or 6 weeks I think, before Megan Roberts was found a few miles downstream. Give it a couple of weeks and check the Naburn marina stretch.

Back to Rory - what's your gut instinct? I didn't realise you were local!

It took quite a while, 5 or 6 weeks I think, before Megan Roberts was found a few miles downstream. Give it a couple of weeks and check the Naburn marina stretch.

Back to Rory - what's your gut instinct? I didn't realise you were local!
I only read this page tonight and prior to that had only read about Rory in the local paper. I always assumed he had fell in the river, but it didn’t make sense that he hasn’t been recovered, so the alternative local rumour is he ran off and made a new life (the thought process was as shallow as that) Strangely I only heard about him being on the care home balcony via this page today, so I am now going to have a look back through our local papers and Facebook pages and have a think about that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back