UK - Sabina Nessa, 28, found murdered in park, SE London, 18 Sep 2021 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t posted here since the Sarah Everard case. My heart is broken again because this feels so close to home.

What can we women even do? Intimate abusers lovebomb us into dating them for months or even years. In that time, they succeed at making you completely dependent on them by isolating your friends and family away, chipping away at your self-esteem and opportunities in life so you have nowhere to go but them. And if you ever dare to dream of a better life, that’s when you are statistically at the highest risk of being murdered. Like Gabby .

And then, if we’re lucky enough to have a great support network and education about abusers, our lives can still be snatched away in a heartbeat by strangers. Like Sarah.

It’s 2021.

“Why didn’t she leave?” should be bloody be “How can we help you leave?” by now.

This report saying the date was "an old friend".

TRAGIC Sabina Nessa was "excited" about going on a first date with an old pal when she was allegedly murdered by a stranger five minutes from her home.

Sabina was not reported missing by anyone after failing to show up to the bar, and her body was not discovered until 5.30pm the next day, September 18.

But officers have now expressed a concern that another attack by her killer, who they belive was a stranger, “could” take place.

Detective Chief Superintendent Trevor Lawry has said: "It's always a concern that it may happen, but that's not something that we have any intelligence on at this time."

When asked whether he believes a stranger was behind the attack, he added: "That's definitely a line of inquiry that we're looking at."

Teacher 'excited' about date with 'old friend' before she was ‘murdered'

Yes, I agree with you @Skigh – a combination of what the police are saying and what they aren't makes me think (and hope) that they have a pretty good idea of the culprit and just need more evidence to charge them. I personally feel as though they're being very careful not to spook anybody.

I think it's more likely to be a stranger. If it was the guy they arrested I just don't see them releasing him and I understand there are scenarios where this happens but this didn't feel like one of them. They have a body and it would have taken a matter of hours to check the suspects movements that night so if they still think he did it they would have found something to make an initial charge surely, rather than release him. JMO

Yes, I agree with you @Skigh – a combination of what the police are saying and what they aren't makes me think (and hope) that they have a pretty good idea of the culprit and just need more evidence to charge them. I personally feel as though they're being very careful not to spook anybody.

Agreed also. I am sounding like a broken record here, but to arrest someone so soon on suspicion of murder suggests to me that they had some clear indication from early on what had happened and now need as much evidence as possible to ensure the CPS agree to a charge and that it will stand up in court.

The 335 bus route does a lap around Cator Park (Tudway Rd/Ryan Close/Cambert Way/Kidbrooke Park Road). Don't know how frequently it runs though. But potential dashcam from that could have picked something up.

*EDIT to say murder rather than attempted murder

Last edited:
I think it's more likely to be a stranger. If it was the guy they arrested I just don't see them releasing him and I understand there are scenarios where this happens but this didn't feel like one of them. They have a body and it would have taken a matter of hours to check the suspects movements that night so if they still think he did it they would have found something to make an initial charge surely, rather than release him. JMO

I wondered whether they were waiting for forensics to come back after the post-mortem? e.g. samples from under her fingernails

It is not surprising that Sabina wasn’t reported missing IMO, even by the friend she was meeting. She was only gone overnight and was an adult, seemed she didn’t live with parents or partner so no-one to notice immediately her absence / failure to come home and if the story is as simple as presented about the date, I wouldn’t imagine that he would report concerns either.

If I asked an old friend out and they didn’t show, I might well message them directly re being stood up, but would assume they got cold feet or had some kind of family emergency, car trouble, etc, before I would think of anything more sinister. Unless there was something more to worry me, then I wouldn’t bother her family and I certainly wouldn’t be reporting her missing. If we had mutual friends then I might check in there, providing it wasn’t weird to be seen to be chasing down where she was.

I wondered whether they were waiting for forensics to come back after the post-mortem? e.g. samples from under her fingernails

If they had any strong feelings that he did it, I would have though the last thing they would do is release him. I think they've pulled the "first date" in for questioning immediately as you would think and that whatever he has told them has been backed up by cctv etc. They probably have him at the bar waiting and both of their phone data and they've likely released him as they've not been able to tie him to the scene of the crime at all. All just speculation on my part and JMO of course. Makes no sense at all in this case that they would release him though. I get they have to build a case but if they thought he was a killer no way would they do that unless they had a specific reason to do so like him leading them to evidence or the body which isn't the case here. I think if he was their guy they would have found something very quickly to hold him on and built the case from there.

If they had any strong feelings that he did it, I would have though the last thing they would do is release him. I think they've pulled the "first date" in for questioning immediately as you would think and that whatever he has told them has been backed up by cctv etc. They probably have him at the bar waiting and both of their phone data and they've likely released him as they've not been able to tie him to the scene of the crime at all. All just speculation on my part and JMO of course. Makes no sense at all in this case that they would release him though. I get they have to build a case but if they thought he was a killer no way would they do that unless they had a specific reason to do so like him leading them to evidence or the body which isn't the case here. I think if he was their guy they would have found something very quickly to hold him on and built the case from there.

Yes I see what you mean.

It is not surprising that Sabina wasn’t reported missing IMO, even by the friend she was meeting. She was only gone overnight and was an adult, seemed she didn’t live with parents or partner so no-one to notice immediately her absence / failure to come home and if the story is as simple as presented about the date, I wouldn’t imagine that he would report concerns either.

If I asked an old friend out and they didn’t show, I might well message them directly re being stood up, but would assume they got cold feet or had some kind of family emergency, car trouble, etc, before I would think of anything more sinister. Unless there was something more to worry me, then I wouldn’t bother her family and I certainly wouldn’t be reporting her missing. If we had mutual friends then I might check in there, providing it wasn’t weird to be seen to be chasing down where she was.

Agree completely, Standing up a date last minute happens all the time, There has been occasions I’ve planned to go on a date with someone (who I’d known for many years) and decided I couldn’t face it and ignored his messages, granted I ignored them for a few hours before the date where as it was likely (though not guaranteed) Sabina had confirmed she was still going closer to the agree’d meeting time but if the person she was going on a date with was a similar age to her (we don’t know that the 40yo is who she was meeting) I do think he probably would of sent a few grumpy WhatsApp’s saying cheers for standing me up and gone home possibly annoyed but it wouldn’t of crossed his mind that something like that could of happened on that short journey on a Friday evening.
Her date would of had an alibi of being in the pub and if he didn’t have that alibi and he was the one arrested surely they’d have more reason to keep him in custody, where as they may have information that her ex partner had been constantly calling her maybe following her hence why they arrested him but they have no evidence it was him? Just my thoughts

Last edited:
It's noticeable that the police have released very little information on what Sabina was wearing when she walked through the park. It was a warm evening so she may have dressed accordingly. Will there be a police reconstruction as with Julia James? Maybe next week the police will release more information to try and encourage any witnesses to come forward.

The police might have a suspect in the forefront of their mind who they are trying to build a case against. But I still instinctively don’t think it is the first date guy. I sort of think he might have been the first arrest but was able to prove it wasn’t him so he was let go; but like some people on here if they really thought it was him I would be surprised they released him so quickly.

But maybe they do have another chief suspect who is trickier to build a case against. But until they can/do they need to be open to the possibility of a stranger murder too. I am wondering if it’s something like the Joanna Yeates case. It took the police a month or so to arrest the next door neighbour because it took that long to build the case forensically. I really hope this to be the case and that they can build a case quickly so this hideous perpetrator can be brought to justice quickly.

The police might have a suspect in the forefront of their mind who they are trying to build a case against. But I still instinctively don’t think it is the first date guy. I sort of think he might have been the first arrest but was able to prove it wasn’t him so he was let go; but like some people on here if they really thought it was him I would be surprised they released him so quickly.

But maybe they do have another chief suspect who is trickier to build a case against. But until they can/do they need to be open to the possibility of a stranger murder too. I am wondering if it’s something like the Joanna Yeates case. It took the police a month or so to arrest the next door neighbour because it took that long to build the case forensically. I really hope this to be the case and that they can build a case quickly so this hideous perpetrator can be brought to justice quickly.

It could be she knew her attacker or it was a neighbour or something as it was very close to home. But the outdoor nature of the attack almost always means its a random stranger and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, especially if it was a sexually motivated attack, have any details been released regarding this?

It could be she knew her attacker or it was a neighbour or something as it was very close to home. But the outdoor nature of the attack almost always means its a random stranger and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, especially if it was a sexually motivated attack, have any details been released regarding this?

I also feel the most likely scenario will be a random attack. I would imagine not many people out of her immediate circle would know where she would be walking to that night.
I do think the first arrest was likely her date but imo ruled out quickly

Q: How could she be killed on a five-minute walk through what police believe was probably a busy park?
A: Even the cause of Ms Nessa’s death is unknown after a post-mortem proved inconclusive, but detectives believe some members of the public will have seen Sabina or her killer on Friday evening and could help solve what is so far a mystery.

Q: Was this a stranger attack?

A: This is unknown, but in the apparent absence so far of any clear leads that the crime was carried out by a person known to Ms Nessa police are not discounting this possibility and are mounting extra patrols.

Q: Is this tragedy part of a wider problem of violence against women?
A: Yes, because whatever the facts turn out to be, a young woman has died violently on a short evening walk that anyone should be able to complete in safety. Whether specific opportunities to prevent her killer striking might have been missed will only be known once the culprit is caught and the investigation and prosecution completed.

Q: Is there any sign of an imminent breakthrough in the investigation?
A: This is hard to say because detectives often keep details of their progress secret to avoid hindering their investigation. But today’s renewed appeal and the large number of officers deployed indicates that at least some important evidence is still needed. Although most murders are solved relatively quickly, that’s not guaranteed and will be harder if it does turn out to be stranger attack.

Q: Will Sabina’s killer murder again?
A: Hopefully not, but the Metropolitan Police are concerned it may happen. Detective Chief Superintendent Trevor Lawry said there was no intelligence to suggest a second murder would take place.

Sabina Nessa murder: Five unanswered questions and everything we know

I also feel the most likely scenario will be a random attack. I would imagine not many people out of her immediate circle would know where she would be walking to that night.
I do think the first arrest was likely her date but imo ruled out quickly

The person arrested has not been ruled out as they are still under investigation.

So whoever they arrested has not been able to provide enough evidence to show the could definitely not be involved.

The person arrested has not been ruled out as they are still under investigation.

So whoever they arrested has not been able to provide enough evidence to show the could definitely not be involved.

I dont disagree at all ..in theory they have not been ruled I just feel that that will be the most likely outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia