GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Life sentence* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just catching up with the thread and I know we're on to more interesting things, but just to say I think there are some really serious lessons for the Met right here. An officer in that much debt is vulnerable to corruption and should absolutely not have been in an armed role. They should be doing regular credit checks on their armed officers (arguably on all officers and staff in fact) imo.
And when your work colleagues give you a nickname like The Rapist, you should have your character investigated.

I kind of wonder if this wasn't all some kind of psychological break for which he had no real plan beyond the murder.

He gave in to his fantasies/delusions, then is essentially giving up on his job.

I am not really sure he expected to get away with it

He bought bags from B&Q in Dover to dispose of her body the following day.

The court has heard that at 2.50pm on March 4, he returned to Hoads Wood where he stayed for almost an hour.

"He must have moved Sarah Everards heavily burnt body from where he had set fire to it, to the pond where she was subsequently found.

"He did so using the two bags that he had purchased from B&Q."

Couzens emailed his sergeant at 10.09pm, and said: "At this moment in time I am unable to carry firearms.

"The stress of my payroll situation is causing me financial implications. I feel totally misled and disillusioned with the way I have been recruited and the lack of measures to find a solution from HR…I have provisionally made an appointment with my GP to seek advice.

"I thought I was in a good place after returning from injury however this is not the case and I feel more of a liability.”

The court heard how a few days later, he went on a family trip to Hoads Wood on March 7.

The prosecutor told the court: "He allowed his children to play in the woods in relatively close proximity to where he had dumped Sarah’s body in the pond."

After the trip, he went to the station to hand in his firearms authorisations card on March 8.

Live updates as Wayne Couzens sentenced at Old Bailey for Sarah Everard's murder

On 9 March police managed to identify - by ANPR cameras - the white Vauxhall Crossland hire car. They quickly identified Couzens as the person who hired it and that he was a serving police officer. Detectives went to his home in Deal but waited several hours before arresting him

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443182377837211653?s=21

Mr Little said the police trawled through 1,800 hours of CCTV and dashcam footage during #saraheverard investigation

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443182643638587401?s=21

Couzens did not offer any resistance when he was arrested at home on suspicion of the kidnap of #saraheverard - an extensive search of his home then took place. His wife was taking care of his children.

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443182846798073856?s=21

Hi guys, back now that there are updates. I'm sickened by what I'm reading. Poor Sarah. She suffered horrifically.

Just reading that he took his family back to the murder site days after. Was this to check on the scene or was this to get a sexual kick( wonder if he had sex with his wife when he got home)

Really hope Sarah gets justice. He used his position as a police officer to commit this crime so surely that should lengthen his sentence.

I must say I’m flabbergasted at his ability to pop into a shop for some drinks, pop to costa for a drink and a snack, pop to maccies etc. Surely the adrenaline, anxiety, urgency to cover tracks etc would wipe out your appetite? I just can’t imagine how after doing this he’s so casually doing a maccies run?!

If he had just done a 12 hour shift, then done what he did & knew he had to stay awake after to cover-up he would have needed a lot in his system to stay awake & be physical, wouldn't surprise me if he was on speed as well as energy drinks, caffeine etc.

Detectives then carried out a special emergency interview the purpose of which was to find out where #saraheverard was. Couzens was shown her photo and he initially denied knowing her or having met her (1/3)...

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443183446206173184?s=21

"I'm sat here in handcuffs and you are asking me if I know her so you must have something to say." (2/3)

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443183716101148681?s=21

Couzens then said he was in "financial *advertiser censored*" and had been leant on by a gang who wanted him to "find girls". He said he refused but when they threatened his family he complied (3/3)

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443184003687796736?s=21

Prosecution say he took his family on a trip to the very woods where days earlier he had left Sarah Everard’s body

https://twitter.com/beccabarry/status/1443179250119593993?s=21

On Sunday 7 March - four days after killing #saraheverard - Couzens took his family to Hoad's Wood for a day trip. Mr Little said Couzens allowed his children to play not far from the spot where Sarah's badly burned body was lying at the bottom of a pond.

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443179453207678976?s=21

This made my blood run cold.
He is an absolute monster. I really hope his children are being spared the awful details.

I'm just catching up with the thread and I know we're on to more interesting things, but just to say I think there are some really serious lessons for the Met right here. An officer in that much debt is vulnerable to corruption and should absolutely not have been in an armed role. They should be doing regular credit checks on their armed officers (arguably on all officers and staff in fact) imo.

SC is typically valid for 10 years for permanent employees. Unfortunatly it's not as simple as debt=bad. Most people who have a mortgage are technically in hundreds of thousands of debt. Even if you look at unsecured debt specifically, that alone isn't generally an instant no. It's the circumstances around it and how serviceable it is, his wife seeminly had a decent job and he wouldn't be awfully paid.

On 6 March, he made a number of purchases from Amazon, including a blue tarpaulin sheet and bungee cargo net, to be delivered the following day.

On the morning of 7 March, Couzens and his wife and two children visited Hoad's Wood - stopping at a service station on the way that he had previously visited after raping and murdering Ms Everard, the court hears.

Mr Little says: "It follows that the defendant took his family on a family trip to the very woods where days earlier he had left Sarah Everard's body, then returned to burn it and then returned again to move it and hide it."

He adds that Couzens allowed his children "to play in relatively close proximity" to where Ms Everard's body had been dumped in the pond.

The court hears that Couzens was on five days' leave from work, he had emailed his supervisor to say he felt "unable to carry firearms".

Wayne Couzens sentencing live: Sarah Everard's killer had dating profiles and carried handcuffs off-duty, court hears

I kind of wonder if this wasn't all some kind of psychological break for which he had no real plan beyond the murder.

He gave in to his fantasies/delusions, then is essentially giving up on his job.

Agree.
He may have felt he'd lost power over all other aspects of his life, then he wants to regain his power -
Like you say, he's most likely always been an 'abuser' due to feeling inadequate.

I think I'd be more inclined to believe that he didn't expect to get away with it if he had made any sort of suicide attempt in the days following - maybe viewing the crime as a twisted 'going out with a bang' type of thing. I genuinely cannot fathom what he thought was going to happen next. To me, it shows such brazen confidence in the heinousness of his character. I really can't relate, thankfully.

By the afternoon, the Seat was seen heading to Fridd Lane. Peter Spiller left an area of land that he owns due west of Hoads Wood at about 12:45pm.

As he was driving along Fridd Lane towards Hothfield, just before the railway bridge, he caught a glimpse of a large orange and yellow flame in Hoads Wood.

It was approximately 25m away from the road and about 10-15 metres from the main track.

He described a strong, intense flame, which was not particularly high (about 3-foot square), which did not have the appearance of a typical woodland fire.

A distinctive white object, about 1m x 1m, the size of a small white goods appliance, was either just behind or next to the fire.

Mr Little said: "This is consistent with the location where the defendant burnt Sarah Everard’s body, clothing and possessions using the petrol he had purchased earlier that day."

In between burning his victim's body and going to B&Q to buy bags, Couzens phoned Lakeview Vets to make an appointment for the family dog - Maggie the French bulldog - explaining they wanted to consult the vet about possible medication for separation anxiety.

The call lasted 3 minutes and an appointment was made for Friday, Mar 12 at 4pm.

At 1.43pm, Couzens is seen on CCTV buying two 220l 'Clearaway' builders' bags for £9.94 at the Honeywood Park Industrial Estate B&Q.

He drove away in the Seat returning to Hoads Wood at about 2.50pm where he was to remain until 3.40pm.

Mr Little, prosecuting, said: "Whilst in the wood he must have moved Sarah Everard’s heavily burnt body from where he had set fire to it, to the pond where she was subsequently found.

"He did so using the two bags that he had just purchased from B&Q."

On Saturday, Mar 6, shortly after 9pm, he made a number of purchases from Amazon to be delivered the following day, in preparation for a family trip to Hoads Wood with a trailer.

He bought a blue tarpaulin sheet and a bungee cargo net.

Mr Little, prosecuting, told the Old Bailey: "He took his family to the very place where he left body, burnt it and moved it... allowing his children to play in relative close proximity to where Ssarah Everard's body was dumped in the pond.

They made the trip the following day on Mar 7.

Ryan Rose was visiting Hoads Wood with friends on that day, and saw Couzens walking away from his car.

The killer told Mr Rose that he was down there with his wife and children, cleaning up a plot that had broken glass on it.

Mr Little told the Old Bailey: "This may explain why the family had acquired a trailer for the trip. The defendant was carrying a Tesco bag, and seemed anxious to be getting on with what he was doing."

A PS Davies at Metropolitan Police received Couzens’ email sent the night before.

It stated that he was struggling due to the complications surrounding his pay rise was causing him problems.

He didn't feel he wanted to carry a gun.

At 2.38pm on Mar 7, PS Davies sent him a text message informing him that he had received his sickness notification, that he was busy on Monday and Tuesday, but that he would ring Couzens later in the week.

The killer acknowledged receipt of that text at 7.36pm with a text message which read "thanks sgt".

Later that night he went to Homebase and bought a Gardener Mesh Cart for £49.

Sarah Everard murder: Wayne Couzens 'may have used Covid rules to arrest and kidnap victim'

Couzens emailed his sergeant at 10.09pm, and said: "At this moment in time I am unable to carry firearms.

"The stress of my payroll situation is causing me financial implications. I feel totally misled and disillusioned with the way I have been recruited and the lack of measures to find a solution from HR…I have provisionally made an appointment with my GP to seek advice.

"I thought I was in a good place after returning from injury however this is not the case and I feel more of a liability.”

Live updates as Wayne Couzens sentenced at Old Bailey for Sarah Everard's murder

SBM/BBM

Describing himself as a liability seems extreme and is curiously at odds with the hyper-confident, even narcissistic, behaviour, isn't it? I feel I really can't get a handle on him psychologically, even now, with so much more information.

I keep flip-flopping between the ideas that WC knew what he was doing and that he had absolutely no idea at all and was just winging it. He went to so many places, seems to have left so much of a trail. The petrol station, Costa, McDonald's, B&Q, Homebase, the online orders, going back to one of the crime scenes (there seem to be several definite/potential crime scenes)... He wasn't exactly laying low.

It's strange to me that it was clearly premeditated, but that WC didn't appear to have the foresight to think about what he'd 'need to do' afterwards. My inclination is that he has very few brain cells to rub together, but maybe it's just easier for me to think that rather than to consider and come to terms with the cold calculation that this crime required - although cold calculation is apparently the case regardless of what was or wasn't going through his head.

SBM/BBM

Describing himself as a liability seems extreme and is curiously at odds with the hyper-confident, even narcissistic, behaviour, isn't it? I feel I really can't get a handle on him psychologically, even now, with so much more information.

I think it can be in keeping with a narcissistic personality. Look at all the debt, a narcissist will blame someone else for that. It's the police's fault for not giving him a pay rise. And he's only telling his sergeant, so he doesn't lose face there, that's a confidential communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member