Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does Rx mean prescription? I'd assumed it was an over-the-counter medicine (like paracetamol), had she got it here in the UK or from home?

Hoping everyone is ok. LJ you must be looking forward to the Kenya trip, it's on my wish list!

Rx stands for prescription here in the US. Most prescription bottles here are amber colored with a white child-proof cap on them and are labeled with information such as patient's name, address, pharmacy name and address, prescribing physician, number of times the prescription can be refilled, number of pills/ capsules, and prescription number.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I know what drugs my spouse is taking and has access to!

Does Rx mean prescription? I'd assumed it was an over-the-counter medicine (like paracetamol), had she got it here in the UK or from home?

Hoping everyone is ok. LJ you must be looking forward to the Kenya trip, it's on my wish list!

Rx is a prescription. I would imagine that whatever she had with her was a prescription drug. They stated it was a bottle of "pills". If it was something as benign as an over the counter drug such as Aspirin , Tylenol, or Ibuprofen, or even Benadryl, I highly doubt they would have used that term "pills", IMO. So, was she on antidepressants? Was she on pain medications? Was she on sedatives such as Benzodiazepines, or a stronger hypnotic such as Ambien? We have no idea. What it was at this point can only be our best guess. For whatever reason, apparently her family doesn't want to know. But they fight their own battle, so I will just leave it with them as sad as it is. :( JMO

Continuing, a person in a situation such as Susan's with alcohol and drugs of some unknown type on board, could have died of alcohol/drug intoxication or of hypothermia secondary to that intoxication. Her raincoat was spread out on the pine needles, a couple of feet from her body. The surroundings seemed to be dry though we'd had days of rain before finding her. This leads me to think that she was well out of the rain the night she passed. Knowing the info on the Rx label would be helpful in ascertaining facts in this case.

I think it is very telling that she took off her raincoat and the way it was spread out may give you an idea of her state of mind at the time.

Also, if you want to make an equation, take into consideration that Susan had eaten dinner. Unless she had eaten only salad, she did not take pills and vodka on an empty stomach.

IMHO taking off her coat contributed to the part hypothermia played in causing death.

hippy hippy updated me on the next round of Police Scotland incompetence. "Anyway, police Scotland is dealing with a whole new scandal as of today. An 88year old lady with dementia went missing three days ago from her home in Glasgow area and a missing person alert was put out, police asked for the public's assistance. You know the drill. So a member of the public called in a sighting of this woman alive, gave the exact location, and the message was not passed on from the call centre to the appropriate officers and so yesterday she was found at that location but deceased. Dreadful. She could have been saved. Our chief of police has already resigned since that last incident, you were here for that, so now what? Re train the call centre staff?"
And just before I arrived was a report of a car going off the road bank. Police didn't get there for three days:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11727935/Car-crash-victim-and-injured-passenger-left-for-three-days-as-police-failed-to-investigate.html Head of Police Scotland resigned after this first case. Susan's case might add some small potatoes to the mess, but this 87 yr old woman reported and not found for 3 days in so over the top.
hh sounds very well. We're hoping to get some reimbursement.

hippy hippy updated me on the next round of Police Scotland incompetence. "Anyway, police Scotland is dealing with a whole new scandal as of today. An 88year old lady with dementia went missing three days ago from her home in Glasgow area and a missing person alert was put out, police asked for the public's assistance. You know the drill. So a member of the public called in a sighting of this woman alive, gave the exact location, and the message was not passed on from the call centre to the appropriate officers and so yesterday she was found at that location but deceased. Dreadful. She could have been saved. Our chief of police has already resigned since that last incident, you were here for that, so now what? Re train the call centre staff?"
And just before I arrived was a report of a car going off the road bank. Police didn't get there for three days:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11727935/Car-crash-victim-and-injured-passenger-left-for-three-days-as-police-failed-to-investigate.html Head of Police Scotland resigned after this first case. Susan's case might add some small potatoes to the mess, but this 87 yr old woman reported and not found for 3 days in so over the top.
hh sounds very well. We're hoping to get some reimbursement.
Gross ... incompetence that is.

Susan's story on websluths touched my heart deeply, both the love she shared in life and the love of those who searched for her to bring her home. In checking back for updates I found this utube celebration of Susan's life. Hope it's ok to share here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qcYWdQ1b-s0
God Bless and give you peace and hope.

Susan's story on websluths touched my heart deeply, both the love she shared in life and the love of those who searched for her to bring her home. In checking back for updates I found this utube celebration of Susan's life. Hope it's ok to share here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qcYWdQ1b-s0
God Bless and give you peace and hope.

I looked in today because it is the day of Susan's memorial, the link above is set to private so I sadly cannot view...Susan touched my heart very deeply too, I am thinking of her today, as I do many days.......RIP dear Susan x

Oh sadness mbmc, its been changed to private! Its really so beautiful. Was hoping.......

OK Wait!, I found it again by just googling her name and utube. You could try that or this link might work, it different and goes through for me.
[video=youtube;dqPS5-8GD-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqPS5-8GD-I[/video]

Susan should be in Kenya playing with the orphans with me, instead of with the angels. For those who walk to her place south of Aberfeldy, use tick prevention! Hippy hippy, Adam... anybody else, look out. I'm recovering after weeks of Lyme disease.

Susan should be in Kenya playing with the orphans with me, instead of with the angels. For those who walk to her place south of Aberfeldy, use tick prevention! Hippy hippy, Adam... anybody else, look out. I'm recovering after weeks of Lyme disease.

Oh no, Lumberjill! Hope you're feeling better, glad you got out to Kenya ok.

Hippy - you ok?

Oh sadness mbmc, its been changed to private! Its really so beautiful. Was hoping.......

OK Wait!, I found it again by just googling her name and utube. You could try that or this link might work, it different and goes through for me.

That was so incredibly beautiful.

How much we all wish the outcome had been different.

Ok mist in the eyes again seeing that screenshot...

My family attended the memorial at Susan/equivets farm this weekend. It was a proper tribute attended by a wide cross section of souls lucky to have know Susan. She must at least be pleased to see how many people she touched and how her community supports her family.

Thanks to all here who helped bring this towards closure.

IMHO taking off her coat contributed to the part hypothermia played in causing death.
<rsbm>

Could also have been the result of hypothermia from what is known as paradoxical undressing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/541627

... It is concluded that paradoxical undressing might be explained by changes in peripheral vasoconstriction in the deeply hypothermic person. It represents the last effort of the victim and is followed almost immediately by unconsciousness and death.

Yes, paradoxical undressing is theoretically possible. But the depression in her coat where she sat leads me to think she intentionally took off her coat and sat upon it. And that doesn't fit with paradoxical undressing being the "last effort of the victim". Susan moved from sitting on her coat to lying down with the two bottles positioned neatly parallel to her thigh with their tops toward her head, and bottoms toward her feet.

I was thinking about Susan today and how lucky she was to have had LJ for a best friend. The family can celebrate the holidays knowing that Susan was found and brought home thanks to LJ. I truly hope they recognize how luck they were to have LJ go over and kickstart efforts along with HH to find Susan. Not many families have that luxury.

At the very least, I hope the family has reached out to LJ in some way to fully thank her and her unselfish, unrelenting force of human nature. I can only imagine the great personal, financial and emotional expense LJ went to in her search to find Susan and bring her home.

RIP Susan

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ean-61-Aberfeldy-17-May-2015-American-visitor

I found this thread because another poster pointed me toward it.

After having read about Susan, I feel I have lost a friend myself. I did not follow her case as it was happening, but instead read the entire thread at one time.

HH has impressed me so much. She mentioned working a split shift one day and still had time to search for a person she didn't know but gave so much of herself to find. She was determined not to give up. She was a lone soldier for Susan when she would go out on those searches with her dogs. She carried on for Susan when no one else was there to trudge the paths looking for any sign of her. HH posted the maps of the area so we could follow her search progress. I could hardly wait to read her next post and see her next map. Yet the media didn't care to mention her in the articles and I can't understand why. HH is certainly a heroine to me. I almost feel as if I know her.

LumberJill, Susan was indeed fortunate to have had you as a friend. You went above and beyond as Susan would have done for you. That type of bonded friendship is a treasure and not easily found. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

My thoughts and prayers are also with Susan's husband and sons. They have lost so much.

MOO

I found this thread because another poster pointed me toward it.

After having read about Susan, I feel I have lost a friend myself. I did not follow her case as it was happening, but instead read the entire thread at one time.

HH has impressed me so much. She mentioned working a split shift one day and still had time to search for a person she didn't know but gave so much of herself to find. She was determined not to give up. She was a lone soldier for Susan when she would go out on those searches with her dogs. She carried on for Susan when no one else was there to trudge the paths looking for any sign of her. HH posted the maps of the area so we could follow her search progress. I could hardly wait to read her next post and see her next map. Yet the media didn't care to mention her in the articles and I can't understand why. HH is certainly a heroine to me. I almost feel as if I know her.

LumberJill, Susan was indeed fortunate to have had you as a friend. You went above and beyond as Susan would have done for you. That type of bonded friendship is a treasure and not easily found. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

My thoughts and prayers are also with Susan's husband and sons. They have lost so much.

MOO

This is lovely, Lalaw, thank you.

This thread is so close to my heart, I think most regulars here became emotionally attached to Susan, HH and LJ. I imagine reading the thread in it's entirety is like reading a good mystery novel with a really sad ending.

Hope Hippy, LJ & Equivet are doing ok. Thinking of you all, and Susan, this Christmas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back