GUILTY UK - Tia Sharp, 12, New Addington, London, 3 Aug 2012 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very naive question coming up. What if he has already admitted to killing her, to the police? Does a confession not get taken into account?

Very naive question coming up. What if he has already admitted to killing her, to the police? Does a confession not get taken into account?
Well, I don't suppose he's said anything incriminating yet. I'd expect his lawyer to have told him to say nothing at this stage, and now his barrister will take charge (I assume). He was probably advised to say nothing until the PM results were back, and as we now know, they didn't prove cause of death.

It's possible when he was picked up by the police on the 10th August (when he was visibly drunk) that he might have shot his mouth off then, so that would be on record - but as he's very familiar with the police process by now, it's likely that he didn't say anything.

I've always thought the law is very strange, in that even if someone admits guilt to their lawyer / barrister - it's their job to get them off even if they know they're guilty. In the Huntley case, Maxine Carr said on several occasions that she was told by her lawyer not to mention certain incriminating things to the police. It seems like a game the legal profession play to 'win' their case, even if they know their client is guilty.

If you know your client is lying you cannot act as you have a duty to the court.

Even if the PM is inconclusive as to a cause of death, it will still say in the report that it was likely that x happened, but the official cause of death will be inconclusive.

If you know your client is lying you cannot act as you have a duty to the court.

Even if the PM is inconclusive as to a cause of death, it will still say in the report that it was likely that x happened, but the official cause of death will be inconclusive.
Thanks for the clarification. What about if you're fairly sure your client is lying - is there a duty to the court in that instance? I was under the assumption that the defence lawyer / barrister is not there to judge guilt, but to provide the best defence to the charges in order to get the client off.

Yes, here in America I believe that, if a lawyer knows a client to be lying, he or she, as an officer of the court, must reveal this information.

But it doesn't work that way in reality.

From my understanding if someone is picked up intoxicated either through drink or drugs the police have to wait 6 or 8hrs before they can interview them.if he said anything before that it would be noted but may no be able to used in court.

From my understanding if someone is picked up intoxicated either through drink or drugs the police have to wait 6 or 8hrs before they can interview them.if he said anything before that it would be noted but may no be able to used in court.
Oh yes, I forgot about that.

wfgodot - what's confusing is that if everyone, regardless of the crime, is entitled to a defence - then surely that means that lawyers have to defend people they know are guilty - or else the guilty people would never have a defence.

Oh dear! seems the link won't open (I am new to this site..sorry). Anyhow it is in the thisiscroydontoday.co.uk yesterdays news.

this is croydon today tia sharp funeral

Both of those newspaper reports carry photos of Tia with a boy described as her "step-brother" Thomas. Is Thomas SC's son? Because if he is, he is Tia's half-brother, not her step-brother.

It's a very important distinction and I find it worrying how often these days the term "step" is misused when referring to people who are actually blood relatives.

Both of those newspaper reports carry photos of Tia with a boy described as her "step-brother" Thomas. Is Thomas SC's son? Because if he is, he is Tia's half-brother, not her step-brother.

It's a very important distinction and I find it worrying how often these days the term "step" is misused when referring to people who are actually blood relatives.
I agree and have been getting quite annoyed with media reports describing members of the family incorrectly. Step Fathers who are not married to the mother, Step Grandfather, when again he is not married to the grandmother, and yes, in this case her step brother, who I believe is her half brother.
:banghead:

Cherwell and Crazy Mama , couldnt agree more.
I get quite irritated by all this step stuff when the people involved are simply the latest partner of the females in this family.
We even had step g/m for DN's mother !

and then, when there is a connection, as in half brother, they get changed to step !

I wonder, is it just lazy journalism or is it an attempt to create a close family image when, from most of what I have read, it would seem that poor TS wasnt being protected by her elders very well at all

Thinking of Tia today as she is finally laid to rest.

R I P Tia , gone too soon

Thinking of tia today.justice will come for you!

Thinking of your parents and family today,no one should ever have to bury their child, especially in these circumstances

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cherwell and Crazy Mama , couldnt agree more.
I get quite irritated by all this step stuff when the people involved are simply the latest partner of the females in this family.
We even had step g/m for DN's mother !

and then, when there is a connection, as in half brother, they get changed to step !

I wonder, is it just lazy journalism or is it an attempt to create a close family image
when, from most of what I have read, it would seem that poor TS wasnt being protected by her elders very well at all
I think it's mostly lazy journalism, which of course then creates a false illusion that the family is closer than they'd be without the addition of 'step' to every relation! It's completely misleading as to be a stepmother or stepfather / grandfather etc, you need to be married to the blood relative.

And referring to Thomas as a stepbrother is inexcusable, since he IS a blood relative of Tia. Talking of Tia, may she finally rest in peace today.

And referring to Thomas as a stepbrother is inexcusable, since he IS a blood relative of Tia.

I fear it's ignorance, because the terms have been so widely misused that many people now genuinely don't grasp that there is a difference - and a very important one.

RIP to Tia. I have nothing nice to say about the family or any of this, so what I will say is that I really hope there is justice for her. She seemed a nice kid who did not have a good start in life. It makes me rather angry actually. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214