UK - US Diplomat's wife leaves UK after killing Harry Dunn, age 19, Northampton, Sept 2019 *suspended sentence*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited:
Bojo says US should think again over 'hit-and-run' diplomat’s wife's immunity

The Sun article. This is currently being discussed on BBC Radio 4 also. Bojo is on the case now.

AFAIK RAF Croughton is not a "spy-base".

501st Combat Support Wing > About Us > Newcomers > RAF Croughton / RAF Welford / RAF Fairford
I think it's fair to say it's a listening station of some sort, if not a "spy-base".

Snookered%5E_-_geograph.org.uk_-_464365.jpg

croughton-1280x720.jpg

Fatal road traffic collision at Croughton - police statement | Northamptonshire Police

Here's the police report.

12:24 05/10/2019

Statement from Superintendent Sarah Johnson, Head of Operations for Northamptonshire Police, said:

“We can confirm that a 42-year-old American woman being treated as a suspect in our investigation into a fatal road traffic collision on the B4031 Park End, Croughton, on Tuesday, August 27, has left the country.

“Northamptonshire Police followed all of its usual procedures following the incident, including liaising closely with the suspect, who engaged fully with us at the time and had previously confirmed to us that she had no plans to leave the country in the near future.

“Due process was also followed in seeking the necessary documentation to allow for the arrest and formal interview of the suspect, and the Force is now exploring all opportunities through diplomatic channels to ensure that the investigation continues to progress.

“We are also working closely with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in an effort to come to a resolution regarding this matter.

“Harry Dunn’s family deserve justice and in order to achieve this, a full and thorough investigation, with the assistance of all parties involved, needs to take place.“Northamptonshire Police is committed to ensuring justice for Harry and specially trained officers continue to support the Dunn family in their loss, including keeping them fully informed of all developments in the investigation.”

The report says she told police she had no intentions to leave the country, so did she lie to the police or what happened?

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say it's a listening station of some sort, if not a "spy-base".

Snookered%5E_-_geograph.org.uk_-_464365.jpg

croughton-1280x720.jpg

From my link above:

Welcome to the 422nd Air Base Group Community.

RAF Croughton is located in Northamptonshire, 40 minutes north of Oxford. RAF Croughton hosts the headquarters of the 422nd Air Base Group, as well as the 422nd Communications Squadron, the 422nd Civil Engineer Squadron, the 422nd Security Forces Squadron, the 422nd Medical Squadron, and the 422nd Air Base Squadron. RAF Croughton also hosts members of the department of state.

It's pretty much slap bang in the middle of England. Here's a map location map.

Google Maps

It's an airforce base. That's all I'm saying. ;-)

Last edited:
It would be good to have the deceased's name in the thread title. Harry Dunn, 19, Croughton as usually happens. Hope a mod could edit it and add the name of Anne Sacoolas, 43, Va also as wanted perhaps.

Hadn't read that she was "forced" to leave the UK. Is there a link? TIA

Ms Charles told the Victoria Derbyshire programme: "[It was] unintentional. She didn't purposely drive on the other side of the road... if she'd have stayed and faced us as a family we could have found that forgiveness... but forgiving her for leaving, I'm nowhere near."

Harry's father, Tim Dunn, said: "I'd like to think she was more made to leave by the US Embassy than [it be] her own choice."

Crash death mother 'will appeal to US president'

PM's plea to US to rethink immunity over crash

Latest from BBC and BoJo.

Some new info from police:

"Mr Dunn died in hospital shortly after his Kawasaki motorcycle was involved in a crash with a Volvo XC90 at about 20:30 BST near the RAF base at Croughton.

Chief constable Nick Adderley said based on CCTV evidence, officers knew that on the night of the crash a vehicle had left the base "on the wrong side of the road".

Supt Sarah Johnson said the police were collecting evidence with support from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the RAF base and the Dunn family.

"We're going to make sure that we deal with it [the investigation] in a way that we can take it through to prosecution," she said."

What You Should Know About RAF Croughton in England

Little bit more about the base.

US MILITARY CAREERS BASE PROFILES
RAF Croughton in England

BY ROD POWERS

Updated April 26, 2019
Overview

35105495114_8e205fedb4_k-5a77b8b1d8fdd500371a1441.jpg

Alan Wilson/Flickr

RAF Croughton is a communications base in Northamptonshire, England, and operates one of Europe's largest military switchboards and processes approximately a third of all U.S. military communications in Europe. RAF Croughton is a warm and friendly base with extensive travel opportunities both in the UK and on the European continent. There is plenty to do, much to see, and lots to experience.

For over 60 years, RAF Croughton has been an important part of the Brackley community. From its beginnings in 1938 to the present day, the base has taken on many different roles. The Royal Air Force station was constructed in 1938 on 692 acres and named RAF Brackley. In July 1941 it was renamed RAF Croughton. During the Second World War Canadians, South Africans, Australians and New Zealanders flew Hampdens, Blenheims and Wellington bombers from the base and attracted the attention of enemy bombers throughout 1941. In August 1942 Croughton began training the Glider Pilot Regiment, an army unit that flew troop-carrying gliders, whose pilots fought alongside the troops they carried after landing. Flying ceased in May 1946 and the base was used to store ammunitions until the USAF took it over in January 1951. The geographical location of the base was ideal for the technological advances made in communications during the war, and the USAF saw the potential for RAF Croughton to be an effective and important communications center for the U.S. military in Europe.

RAF Croughton provides support for Presidential, NATO, European, and Central Command, operations with 23 communications and information weapon systems. They provide 30% of all DOD communications between Europe and CONUS. The base provides communication for deployed and en route war fighters.

Continue to 2 of 9 below.

More at link

Fatal road traffic collision at Croughton - police statement | Northamptonshire Police

Here's the police report.

12:24 05/10/2019

Statement from Superintendent Sarah Johnson, Head of Operations for Northamptonshire Police, said:

“We can confirm that a 42-year-old American woman being treated as a suspect in our investigation into a fatal road traffic collision on the B4031 Park End, Croughton, on Tuesday, August 27, has left the country.

“Northamptonshire Police followed all of its usual procedures following the incident, including liaising closely with the suspect, who engaged fully with us at the time and had previously confirmed to us that she had no plans to leave the country in the near future.

“Due process was also followed in seeking the necessary documentation to allow for the arrest and formal interview of the suspect, and the Force is now exploring all opportunities through diplomatic channels to ensure that the investigation continues to progress.

“We are also working closely with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in an effort to come to a resolution regarding this matter.

“Harry Dunn’s family deserve justice and in order to achieve this, a full and thorough investigation, with the assistance of all parties involved, needs to take place.“Northamptonshire Police is committed to ensuring justice for Harry and specially trained officers continue to support the Dunn family in their loss, including keeping them fully informed of all developments in the investigation.”

The report says she told police she had no intentions to leave the country, so did she lie to the police or what happened?

BBM.

I suspect that what happened was that she consulted family, counsel and lawyer(s), and took their advice to use her diplomatic immunity and get on the next plane home. Of course, escaping justice for one's part in an accident that results in death is not the sort of scenario envisioned by these conventions and there is apparently very little that can be done if she refuses to return.

I wonder if the "shield" of immunity might have been better served, and she less disgraced, had she stayed, cooperated, expressed her contrition, and leaned on that immunity to work out a response that would have acknowledged this family's loss and pain and the sensitive (especially now) relationship between the UK and US. This just seems callous and cowardly, and is likely haunt both families and other related communities, IMO, until resolved.

BBM.

I suspect that what happened was that she consulted family, counsel and lawyer(s), and took their advice to use her diplomatic immunity and get on the next plane home. Of course, escaping justice for one's part in an accident that results in death is not the sort of scenario envisioned by these conventions and there is apparently very little that can be done if she refuses to return.

I wonder if the "shield" of immunity might have been better served, and she less disgraced, had she stayed, cooperated, expressed her contrition, and leaned on that immunity to work out a response that would have acknowledged this family's loss and pain and the sensitive (especially now) relationship between the UK and US. This just seems callous and cowardly, and is likely haunt both families and other related communities, IMO, until resolved.
Well she will never be able to return here and also what about her spouse who presumably has just begun a tour here? I always thought that with diplomatic immunity, they could still remain here, so I am suspicious of what has happened. I wonder if she was even breathalysed? Normally, a driver would automatically be breathalysed in a serious accident such as this, regardless of nationality.

I can't get over this. Beyond the pale. She could have done a couple of years in an open prison and at least given the family some comfort that justice if a sort had been served. Running away only serves to show what a vile, disgusting human she is.

I can't get over this. Beyond the pale. She could have done a couple of years in an open prison and at least given the family some comfort that justice if a sort had been served. Running away only serves to show what a vile, disgusting human she is.
I thought I read where the state department made her leave. This was not intentional. I can understand her getting in her car as you would here and taking off. She did stay there with him and I'm sure she feels terrible. I hope we hear from this lady soon and so does his family too. My condolences go out to them, big time.

I thought I read where the state department made her leave. This was not intentional. I can understand her getting in her car as you would here and taking off. She did stay there with him and I'm sure she feels terrible. I hope we hear from this lady soon and so does his family too. My condolences go out to them, big time.
This took place outside the base entrance where MOD police and military would be on gate duty so she had to stay put. It sounds like she turned directly into the oncoming direction of traffic on the wrong side of the road straight into the motorbike sadly. It's a terrible tragedy.

Twitter

Latest today from the BBC. The link in the tweet goes to a couple of articles. One says that Harry was a twin. His parents are considering writing to the president and have talked to American media.

ETA Thanks to mods for adding Harry's name and age to thread title.

Hadn't read that she was "forced" to leave the UK. Is there a link? TIA
This is not the first time the U.S. quickly "takes out/moves" a person with diplomatic immunity and their family when they have been involved in a deadly accident. The same thing happened in July 2013 when Joshua Walde crashed into a minibus and killed one man and injured eight others. Walde and his family was whisked out the following day. He has not been tried in court for the accident, as he has diplomatic immunity.
U.S. diplomat kills man in car crash, leaves Kenya
https://www.opposingviews.com/categ...n-man-car-accident-not-charged-rushed-back-us
On the other hand, when a Georgian diplomat caused a pile-up that killed a 16-year-old girl in Washington D.C. in January 1997, that incident ended with Georgia revoking its diplomats immunity and he was sentenced to seven years in prison. From: Diplomatic immunity - Wikipedia , see Vehicular assault and drunk driving.

Wonder why the U.S. diplomats get to keep their immunity while others from smaller countries looses theirs in similar cases? Shouldn't the same rules apply for the same crime, regardless of what country you are from?

Last edited:
This is not the first time the U.S. quickly "takes out/moves" a person with diplomatic immunity and their family when they have been involved in a deadly accident. The same thing happened in July 2013 when Joshua Walde crashed into a minibus and killed one man and injured eight others. Walde and his family was whisked out the following day. He has not been tried in court for the accident, as he has diplomatic immunity.
U.S. diplomat kills man in car crash, leaves Kenya
https://www.opposingviews.com/categ...n-man-car-accident-not-charged-rushed-back-us
On the other hand, when a Georgian diplomat caused a pile-up that killed a 16-year-old girl in Washington D.C. in January 1997, that incident ended with Georgia revoking its diplomats immunity and he was sentenced to seven years in prison. From: Diplomatic immunity - Wikipedia , see Vehicular assault and drunk driving.

Wonder why the U.S. diplomats get to keep their immunity while others from smaller countries looses theirs in similar cases? Shouldn't the same rules apply for the same crime, regardless of what country you are from?

Diplomatic immunity is intended for people who may not receive fair treatment because the judicial system in the country where they live is not perceived to be as fair as the judicial system in their own country. I don't know how things are in Kenya, but this is different.

A woman from the states drove on the wrong side of the road in the UK. As she came to a hill, so did the young man on a motorcycle. He had no way out, she killed him. She will be treated fairly in the UK, the same as she would be treated if she did the same thing in the states. She doesn't need or deserve diplomatic immunity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appt
Back