Unedited Police Interrogation Videos of Jodi

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Second day of interrogation, July 16, 2008. From “Jodi Arias Unedited Police Interrogation Videos” posted to YouTube by David Lohr. Jodi wears orange jail scrubs.

Disclaimer: I transcribed these as notes; they are not verbatim. Please do not get hung up on wording as it may not be accurate. Not everything was transcribed; not all questions or discussions are shown here. Please watch videos for accuracy. (G&AMom)

Video 8

Blaney: If his mom and dad were sitting here right how what would you say to them?

Long pause. Jodi begins crying.

Jodi: I would tell them I’m sorry. Before Travis I never lost anyone close to me.

Blaney: If they asked why it happened what would you say to them?

Jodi: I don’t have the answers. I don’t know why Travis was killed. I don’t know why. I don’t know why.

Blaney: The lead-up would help them to understand why.

Long pause.

Blaney: What led up to it?

Jodi: I’m sorry.

Blaney: Are you saying that to me, or to his family?

Jodi: (whispers) Everybody. (louder) To everybody, to his family, to my family, to Travis.

Blaney: If you truly are sorry, clear you conscience and tell what led up to it.

Long pause. Jodi is crying, rests head on arm on table. Raises head. Jodi (whispering, can’t hear) asks for tissues. Blaney returns with toilet paper. Jodi blows nose.

Blaney: I can see your tears are real.

Jodi: Travis once told me that my tears mean nothing. He said that when we were fighting. Sometimes he just seemed to have no emotional understanding or depth and other times he could move himself to cry if he wanted to, if he was on stage. But those were things that he felt deeply about. We knew how to push each other’s buttons. I could make him mad in 5 seconds. It’s not my favorite pastime but I knew how to do that. And he could make me cry in 5 seconds. I think his emotional expression was anger and mine was just sadness.

Blaney: Did he push your buttons or you pushed his that day? Did that trigger this whole thing? Looking at the pictures, you were engaged in an intimate moment. It wasn’t all bad. Maybe you don’t understand. It’s something that you are struggling with inside you. But you know the factual things. Sitting here silently makes you look like a horrible person. Obviously you have had relationships with ups and downs that never drove you to that point.

Jodi: It was far worse than Travis.

Blaney: I understand you are a very private person but all your business is going to be out in the open. There’s no point in hiding.

Jodi: I wasn’t as private as Travis.

Blaney: Are you worried about his reputation?

Jodi: Yes, I would rather people didn’t know that we were violating certain chastity laws continually. It is a very big deal in the church. I know that his bishop knows but he keeps everything private. Travis has another mission in the next life where he is working through things, so he got on his path. I don’t think his family shares his faith or shares it deeply. I don’t think they care. I can’t imagine how they feel.

Blaney: Were you involved in an intimate exchange and things got too rough? Is that why the secrecy and privacy with me today?

Jodi: No.

Long pause.

Blaney talks more about giving Travis’ family closure. Jodi talks so softly it is hard to hear. Jodi asks to go to the restroom. Blaney says she will have to go in with Jodi. Jodi says she understands. They leave the room at 16 min 40 sec. They return at 18 min 10 sec.

Blaney talks more about closure. Jodi talks too softly to hear. Blaney says if Jodi doesn’t give his family closure that makes her a selfish person. Jodi says she is selfish. Very hard to hear Jodi.

Jodi: Travis is always (missed words). He gave me everything I needed. I needed money and he had it, it was mine. I needed food, I needed to borrow his car, I needed to use the internet, anything, if I wanted to borrow books, he had a cool library, and audio books. One time he helped with my PrePaid Legal business and he doesn’t benefit monetarily from that. And I would help him each month with that so he could meet his monthly qualification. Sometimes I would help with the computer stuff. I think I am selfish. One time we met in Ehrenberg when I lived in Southern California so we could rent a hotel room and make out the whole weekend. We drove to a movie and there was this lady standing on the side. He pulled over in his BMW and asked if she was hungry. She said yes so we went to the Wendy’s next to the hotel and he got her a triple cheeseburger and biggie fries and the biggest drink they had and gave it to her (crying). He always did stuff like that. Once we pulled into this gas station in Chinle, Arizona, there was a Navaho Indian, nothing against that tribe, they have a very rich culture, but Navahos are really overweight but their animals are starving, with ribs sticking out and it made us feel so bad. Travis bought, well, we ended up splitting it, but Travis bought cheeseburgers for three hungry dogs, one was a mother with puppies. They wolfed them down and were better, but we just felt like we couldn’t do enough.

Blaney: Then where did things go wrong, Jodi?

Jodi: I don’t know (crying). Does Travis’ family know I am in custody?

Blaney: I am sure they do.

Jodi: That should make it better but not much.

Blaney: They still need closure.

Long pause.

Blaney: Is this something you planned from Day One? Is this something you wish you could take back?

Jodi: I wish I could change it. If I could rewind the clock I would do everything to prevent it. I don’t know if I can give the family what they want for closure. I just don’t know.

Blaney: Is this something so horrific in your mind that you don’t even want to think that you could be capable of such a thing?

Blaney discusses giving Travis’ family the knowledge and letting them decide what to do with it. Discusses religion and repentance. Asks if Jodi has been giving much thought to repentance. Jodi says not in the last 24 hours (crying).

Second day of interrogation, July 16, 2008. From “Jodi Arias Unedited Police Interrogation Videos” posted to YouTube by David Lohr. Jodi wears orange jail scrubs.

Disclaimer: I transcribed these as notes; they are not verbatim. Please do not get hung up on wording as it may not be accurate. Not everything was transcribed; not all questions or discussions are shown here. Please watch videos for accuracy. (G&AMom)

Video 9

Jodi: I wasn’t angry at Travis. Everyone keeps saying that whoever did this was so angry.

Blaney: Were you scared? (long pause) Were you jealous?

Jodi: I remember feeling jealous when we were together because one time he was letting this drunk girl hang all over him and he wasn’t doing anything to stop it, just holding her and supporting her. I didn’t want to make a scene so I left. I had feelings of insecurity because what is your philosophy if you think that is okay and we were in a relationship together? To him it was harmless. We talked about it and I realized he didn’t mean anything by it. This was almost a year and a half ago.

Blaney: If it’s not jealousy and not anger, what was it?

Long pause. Jodi stares at picture on wall.

Blaney: Was it fear? (Jodi apparently answers yes.) If it is fear then what is it you are afraid of, what were you afraid of?

Long pause. Jodi wraps arms around herself.

Jodi: I am trying to remember everything, things that happened, conversations. (crying) I am not very good at expressing myself. I think I am just remembering (can’t hear).

Blaney: Would you like to write him a letter right now?

Jodi: I could start but it would just be a rough draft. It wouldn’t be something that I would want to submit. I want to think about what I want to say. I know you want everything now but if you don’t want to help me any more I would still like to write him a letter. I can usually say things better in writing.

Blaney: Was he expecting you to come over that day?

Jodi: He wanted me to. I told him I wasn’t going to.

Blaney: So was it a surprise when you showed up? Is it a matter of you not understanding how things got so carried away? Or did you go there with the intention to kill him?

Jodi: I am not cold-hearted, I am weak. I am embarrassed to say. It’s stupid and has nothing to do with this. It is something I’m working through. It is not my temper or anger issues. Sometimes I yell but that is not anger issues.

Jodi talks about her family yelling a lot. She thinks they are desensitized to it. When she has been away and comes back, she realizes they are all yelling. But she has been able to check that because it is not a nice way to communicate.

Blaney: So how could things go so wrong? If it’s not jealousy or anger, if you are afraid I am not sure what you are afraid of.

Jodi: It’s trivial.

Blaney: It may not be trivial to his grandmother and sisters.

Long pause.

Blaney: Any information that would help them understand who you are and what transpired will help them. I don’t understand why you won’t do that for them because obviously you care.

Long, long pause.

Blaney: I am not asking you to make excuses for yourself because you are not that type of person, but I am asking you to do something for somebody else. What was it about your relationship with him that went so wrong? Now is your time, this is the opportunity to tell us.

Jodi: I understand and I appreciate that. I need to sort through some things. I don’t have all the details.

Video 10

(The beginning of Video 10 is a repeat of the end of Video 9. New material starts at 9 min 10 sec.)

Jodi: Is there any way I can see some of those photos?

Blaney: What would you do with them if you could see them?

Jodi: Just look at them. I don’t know if it would help me. Maybe it would. I don’t know. Travis was a real jerk sometimes. (can’t hear) His friends thought he was lying, two of his friends not everyone. We were just friends. He was always happy to see me.

Blaney: How is seeing those pictures again going to help you?

Jodi: They will help me piece a few things together.

Blaney: What is it that you are trying to piece together?

Jodi: I don’t know. There is a bit of morbid curiosity as well. He would never let me take pictures of him in the shower. Despite our intimacy he was very private about his showers. He had a room, you couldn’t see the bathroom from the bedroom. We weren’t a married couple. We had our time together and after that we weren’t a couple.

Blaney: Were those pictures taken without his consent?

Jodi: I am saying that whoever took those pictures must have . . . it is hard to imagine. I took pictures of him shaving and he was weird about that.

Blaney: Well, when you say things like that, you don’t want to do the right thing for the family, and you are jerking my chain. There is no doubt in anybody’s mind that you are responsible for his death. I don’t appreciate my chain being jerked and you thinking that I am some kind of fool.

Jodi: The detective says he has some pictures of me.

Blaney: I have seen those pictures. They were taken the same day, the same time frame. I think I have done all I can here. You are the only one who could give us information. I am tired of playing games. I thought it would be easier to talk to a woman especially about an intimate incident. After today things will go so fast you will be totally unable to control the situation.

Jodi: I would like to begin something but I don’t know what to say to Travis’ family. I know I probably won’t get the chance to talk like this again unless it is with lawyers. Yesterday Detective Flores asked me if I wanted to see those picture and I told him no.

Blaney: I will check and see if we can get some pictures to show you.

Blaney says she will be right back. Leaves room at 28 min 13 sec.

G&A, your notes are appreciated, because I know the work that goes into them. I may have to hire you! lol ;)

In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions, where a small change at one place in a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state.

When a butterfly flaps its wings in one part of the world it can cause a hurricane in another part of the world.

There is a famous Ray Bradbury short story, A Sound of Thunder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia involving futuristic time travelers in search of a T-Rex who are warned that they MUST stay on a levitated path. Things happen, a man veers off the path, and when they return to the future, many things have changed, including the political structure. Upon looking, the man sees that, along with dirt, there is a crushed butterfly on the sole of his shoe. The killing of the butterfly at that point in time has altered the course of history.

I remember reading that as a teen and it was something that stuck with me, as it did with millions of others. What if ... What if the butterfly was supposed to fly past an animal, distracting it momentarily so that the animal did not see another animal it was supposed to kill and eat. That other animal then went on to do ... and history was changed. It's up to one's imagination as to HOW it might have altered the course of history in a chain of events or non-events. Life is made up of moments, events, obstacles, opportunities, turned corners, forks in the road, choices, weather, food supply, random events, etc. A simple turn of the head at a critical moment might be all it takes to change the world.

In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions, where a small change at one place in a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state.

When a butterfly flaps its wings in one part of the world it can cause a hurricane in another part of the world.

Thank you for answering this as even though I knew what it was, I never ever saw a great explanation of it.

The movie with Ashton Kutcher is a good movie which also explains this theory too. Its a sad movie.

IMO, The Butterfly Effect is why we all should never blame ourselves if something bad happens and we say something like
"If only I had not done that, then it would not have happened".

Because although that statement may be true, the thing is that something else could have happened which may have resulted in even a worse situation.

For instance, lets say your alarm goes off and you decide to hit the snooze and oversleep, then you finally leave and decide to run a yellow light to try to get to work on time, and then get into a car accident. So if you say, well If i had just not hit that snooze, it would not have happened.

Well, maybe so, but it could have been worse :floorlaugh: Because lets say the alarm goes off and you get right up. You leave for work on time and enter the intersection at that same light and light is green. Then a Trash Truck blasts into the side of your car as he is running a red light while texting while driving which throws your car into another car, which ends up hitting a 3rd car.
So, even in that case, you could say, if I had just left a little later, it may have not happened.

It may or it may have been worse. LOL :floorlaugh:

Video #13

From the very beginning leading up to @ 2:40

Det Flores asking questions; "How long did you hang around after it happened?" telling Jodi they have lots of clues but wants to know why she put the camera in the washer.

He establishes there is no doubt she was there. Jodi denies by saying, "Uh-uh" a couple of times as he probes. Jodi not looking at him.

Then, Det Flores switches questions and asks "What was your intentions that day? What was the purpose of your visit? Same as before?"

@2:40 Jodi responds "I'm starting to remem...I'm just trying to remember that week...wholly...and the week prior had a lot to do with it...weekend of Friday night prior, I think.

She changes course in mid sentence. She went from starting to trying. Found that curious. Also noted that she gave a specific time frame that was important; Friday of the week prior. Based on 2008 calendar, that Friday would be May 30, 2008.

Det Flores then asks: "At what point did you decide to go there?"

Jodi responds with (paraphrasing) "Travis was always meddling; always more concerned about her finances than he should be. Asked how she could afford the road trip.

This response from Jodi is interesting considering the question; add this to her reference to May 30th and I get curiouser and curiouser.

Isn't May 30 when he sent her the 'you're the worst thing that ever happened to me' text?

I am so bad at locating stuff (eyes batting); can someone point me to the email where Travis tells Jodi she is the worst thing that ever happened to him and he is going to tell people about her? Looking for a date on that.

TIA

Video #13

From the very beginning leading up to @ 2:40

Det Flores asking questions; "How long did you hang around after it happened?" telling Jodi they have lots of clues but wants to know why she put the camera in the washer.

He establishes there is no doubt she was there. Jodi denies by saying, "Uh-uh" a couple of times as he probes. Jodi not looking at him.

Then, Det Flores switches questions and asks "What was your intentions that day? What was the purpose of your visit? Same as before?"

@2:40 Jodi responds "I'm starting to remem...I'm just trying to remember that week...wholly...and the week prior had a lot to do with it...weekend of Friday night prior, I think.

She changes course in mid sentence. She went from starting to trying. Found that curious. Also noted that she gave a specific time frame that was important; Friday of the week prior. Based on 2008 calendar, that Friday would be May 30, 2008.

Det Flores then asks: "At what point did you decide to go there?"

Jodi responds with (paraphrasing) "Travis was always meddling; always more concerned about her finances than she should be. Asked how she could afford the road trip.

This response from Jodi is interesting considering the question; add this to her reference to May 30th and I get curiouser and curiouser.

I've always wondered if there was another huge phone call fight or something. It had to be something verbal I think. Or maybe a text she got from him that we dont know about. Or maybe even a 3rd party that got involved with her that made her lose it.

The 1 or 2 people she had on her side may have said some things to her that made her overly madder than usual. Sometimes when a 3rd party says things, it can enrage a person more than they already were.

G&A, your notes are appreciated, because I know the work that goes into them. I may have to hire you! lol ;)

AMEN! :great:

G&A Mom and TXJan1971 have done a remarkable job transcribing these videos! :bowdown:

G&A Mom's transcripts are peppered through this topical thread and TXJan1971's transcripts are located in a locked Reference thread that I am about to make a sticky. So you guys should be able to find them easily whether you are perusing this thread or you need a quick reference guide located in the sticky threads.

I can't thank you both enough for all this hard work! (And believe me, I personally KNOW how much work goes into doing something like this!) I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we appreciate it more than you know.

:gthanks:​

Don't know if this caught anyone else's eyes, but when I was transcribing, this just hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason:

From Video #3
DF = Detective Flores JA = Jodi

01:17
DF: Mmm Hmm. I know you took pictures of him in the shower, just before he died.

01:31
JA: I don’t think he would allow that…

So does that mean she lied when she said he wanted his pictures taken because he had "toned his body" and they were checking them together, etc.?? That one statement just blew me away as I was typing...

Just thought I'd share... not sure if it has been discussed.

Jodi: . . . Once we pulled into this gas station in Chinle, Arizona, there was a Navaho Indian, nothing against that tribe, they have a very rich culture, but Navahos are really overweight but their animals are starving, with ribs sticking out and it made us feel so bad. Travis bought, well, we ended up splitting it, but Travis bought cheeseburgers for three hungry dogs, one was a mother with puppies. They wolfed them down and were better, but we just felt like we couldn’t do enough.

WTH?!! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I didn't hear all of the tapes last night, but one thing stood was when Jodi answered about what time something happened and Jodi said she wasn't sure of the time, that it wasn't dark yet, it then said it was seven thirty eight. I mean down to the minute. Who does that? Is it part of psychopathy? Or just Jodi and a particularity?

I took it to mean "It was 7:30, 8:00" (as in that range). Not 7:38.

Watching how nosey JA was in the interview room...looking through the trash...looking at the papers from the fax machine, poor Travis didn't have any privacy. She probably went through every inch of his house. I doubt he gave her his on-line passwords. She probably found them by going through his papers. One more thing, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but when she laughs, twice in the interrogation room after Det. Flores leaves, and laughs again when she say's "still beat you...brat" I think she is actually having conversations with Travis 'in her head' and sometimes she can't help but 'answer' him out loud?

Don't know if this caught anyone else's eyes, but when I was transcribing, this just hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason:

From Video #3

DF: Mmm Hmm. I know you took pictures of him in the shower, just before he died.

So does that mean she lied when she said he wanted his pictures taken because he had "toned his body" and they were checking them together, etc.?? That one statement just blew me away as I was typing...

This has been a hotly discussed topic. There are many schools of thought on this point: 1. She was there and pretended to leave and snuck back in while he was in the shower and took pictures w/o his knowledge 2. He participated in the photo shoot 3. She used a weapon to coerce him to participate

Those 3 are just off the top of my head. I don't think we'll ever know the truth.

IIRC, Jodi and some of Travis's friends all went to Mesa PD and gave mouth swab DNA samples while she was there for the memorial service. Maybe she thought she had cleaned up well enough? Or that she could explain away her DNA there by her "living there for months and months"?

I don't know. I was just trying to figure out why it appears that she took the tissue back out of the trash and pocketed it. Thanks for the info about the swabs.

From Video #3

I believe she say's that several times throughout the interviews. My opinion is she was either 'forcing' him somehow (blackmail) or using a gun to force him to "pose"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back