Upcoming Trial - 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't want to be seen leaving at midnight and not returning shortly thereafter. If he hadn't unplugged the camera, he would have been seen leaving but not re-entering within 15-20 minutes.

Then , Jason also somewhere in the morning should have been on video as well, somewhere in that hotel.

Whether it was in the hall, the lobby, or the stairwell...
he didn't just go out a window.

No otto, just because there could be some evidence of an unknown person(s) in the home, none of that trumps or excludes the strong, compelling evidence that Jason Young was the killer. The fact is, he is no less guilty of 1st degree murder, no matter how many accompliceses the defense may suggest were in the home with him.

Carry on.

What evidence is there ... certainly not a 3 allele DNA comparison, not the medicine, not the jewelry box, not the unknown shoeprints, not the gas attendant ... an unplugged camera 7 hours before someone supposedly doesn`t want to be seen entering a door that was locked? If we eliminate all the smoke and mirrors, there`s not much left.

Rocks this size don't jump 3 1/2 feet from the quiet landscape to the middle of the sidewalk on their own.
This is the rock kicked out of the door jamb by hotel staff.
Not only is it the one that was propping the fire door open, it had JLY's DNA.

187101-hotel_4-28-640x426.jpg

The rock was kicked out of the door, hopefully back with the other rocks. If the rock was not collected from the door, it is not evidence - chain of custody and all that stuff. It`s like saying here`s a knife that was found in a drawer similar to a knife that someone found at point A and moved to point B. it looks like all the other knives in the drawer, numerous unknown people had access to the knife ... but it`s a 3 allele match to the suspect, therefore it`s the murder weapon and since the suspect walked past the knife drawer, me must be guilty. It doesn`t work ... or at least it shouldn`t. I sure wouldn`t want to be subjected to that sort of funny evidence collection.

Do you have a link demonstrating that a 3 allele match is considered valid in a courtroom?

What evidence is there ... certainly not a 3 allele DNA comparison, not the medicine, not the jewelry box, not the unknown shoeprints, not the gas attendant ... an unplugged camera 7 hours before someone supposedly doesn`t want to be seen entering a door that was locked? If we eliminate all the smoke and mirrors, there`s not much left.

Sorry otto, i'm not going to waste my time recapping - for you - the laundry list of CE showing JLY is guilty. :rolleyes:

I like a good argument, but it is not even 1/2 a challenge here.

Back to bball!

:seeya:

That about sums it up, Otto.

You know this case very well and you are very smart to pick up on all the things that the last Jury must have had concerns with.

8-4 NG.

Then , Jason also somewhere in the morning should have been on video as well, somewhere in that hotel.

Whether it was in the hall, the lobby, or the stairwell...
he didn't just go out a window.

JY was never seen on camera leaving the HI the next morning for his business trip. According to that argument, then he must still be in the HI right now.

JY was never seen on camera leaving the HI the next morning for his business trip. According to that argument, then he must still be in the HI right now.

There were many who thought Jason did not go back to the hotel afterwards, if you think he killed Michelle.

But, we know from obtaining the receipt that he did..or, as I think, he never left at all.

I am still trying to find testimony that he said he left his room at 11:20 as was posted here.

I can not wait for Monday!!

Some really interesting things should happen at the end of the trial as well!!

Stay tuned !!

IMO

Okay, so Jason is being careless with his stuff in the room and his security by leaving the door open for the two instances that he left.

But, then what about the fact, he supposedly left it open all the way from midnight to 6am?

That is taking way more of a chance of not only being robbed but being found out you were no longer in your room.

Also, those room doors do look pretty heavy and probably do make a loud sound when being pulled shut.

Jason checked into the hotel at 11PM, I doubt maybe people were wandering the halls or he had anything to worry about from a robber.

It doesn't matter what the prior incident concerning a camera being messed with was about, only that it was !!
Same camera, same stairwell, same hotel.

I also can not find anything anywhere that says Jason left his room at 11:20 PM.....??

Do you know where I can look?

But, talking of possible missing things.......

32) Michelle's rings are missing, and according to testimony from MF she never ever took them off.

IMO

I have read here that Jason testified that he left his room twice: once to get his computer charger and once to smoke a cigar ... but I `don`t remember what he said. Maybe listen to his testimony again, as that would be the only source.

Testimony from state expert witness. Shawn Weiss on the rock:

"Tests found that a dna sample which potentially belongs to 1-79 caucasian males and that indicated to him it was "NOWHERE NEAR A MATCH" to being a match to Jason's DNA"

Source:
http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/9732796/

That`s the funny thing about the rock. It was such a production in the courtroom, with cutting open the package, etc., but it`s meaningless. It shouldn`t have been introduced as evidence as it does little more than demonstrate the weakness of the prosecution`s case. Unless the courts in NC are going to start prosecuting everyone based on a 3 allele match (which I hope would raise some serious concerns amongst the residents), the prosecutors are way out of line trying to draw conclusions based on a 3 allele match. It`s quite likely that the 3 alleles were from a mixed DNA sample - which further weakens the so-called evidence.

Sorry otto, i'm not going to waste my time recapping - for you - the laundry list of CE showing JLY is guilty. :rolleyes:

I wouldn`t expect you to, but when you mention all the evidence, while I see so little, I do wonder what in particular you`re referring to. Is there any one piece of evidence that you see as tipping the scale towards guilt?

Testimony from state expert witness. Shawn Weiss on the rock:

"Tests found that a dna sample which potentially belongs to 1-79 caucasian males and that indicated to him it was "NOWHERE NEAR A MATCH" to being a match to Jason's DNA"

Source:
http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/9732796/

I had thought 3 DNA markers on the rock placed the odds at about 1 in 42 Caucasian males.

Knowing that it is 1 in 79 Caucasian males makes it even more unlikely that the donor was anyone but JY. Someone picked up a rock from the landscaping around the shrubbery that night and propped open the exit door with it.

The Hillsville HI website says that they have 86 rooms, and we know from testimony that there were a little less than half of the rooms occupied that night. So we can say that about 40 rooms were occupied.

Let's assume for argument's sake that all of the occupants that night were Caucasian males. If 2 males stayed in each of those occupied rooms, that would calculate to 80 males. We know only one male stayed in JY's room so we can say that 79 males stayed there that night.

According to the 1 in 79 odds that the 3 DNA markers came from a donor other than JY, I think that it's pretty easy to figure out who the 1 in 79 was.

I have read here that Jason testified that he left his room twice: once to get his computer charger and once to smoke a cigar ... but I `don`t remember what he said. Maybe listen to his testimony again, as that would be the only source.

Thanks, Otto.
I did and nowhere does he give specific times for leaving his room, other than the one we see him on the video at close to midnite.

Something else ,one of his friends, Demetrius Barrett, called him after he arrived at the hotel to tell him about a home warranty plan for the Young's upstair heat pump, which had gone out.

I want to know what time he called him.. it was unclear at trial.

The day before in Raleigh it was 77 degrees, but the nights were dropping low in the 30's, which I don't understand how anyone
could think the hose was a method of cleaning up after the crime........

IMO

Re-listening to testimony from the suspect:

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9764909/#/vid9764909

What he`s doing reminds me of how interviews go, where you`re asked a specific question ... except the big difference is that there`s a 1-3 minute time limit for answering interview questions. Jason starts off strong, makes good eye contact when he denies murder. He`s trying to connect with the jury ... to get them to identify with him. He`s used to being a story-teller. Sometimes he seems to have all those extra words in his answers.

He`s telling a pretty weird story about bouffle apple and this meant `beautiful apple`or attractive - the first time he told her he loved her. His lawyer is making sure that Jason`s comfortable answering questions ... kind of setting Jason`s tone.

When he first testified, there was so much talk about his fluttering eyes or water sips ... don`t remember exactly what he said.

I had thought 3 DNA markers on the rock placed the odds at about 1 in 42 Caucasian males.

Knowing that it is 1 in 79 Caucasian males makes it even more unlikely that the donor was anyone but JY. Someone picked up a rock from the landscaping around the shrubbery that night and propped open the exit door with it.

The Hillsville HI website says that they have 86 rooms, and we know from testimony that there were a little less than half of the rooms occupied that night. So we can say that about 40 rooms were occupied.

Let's assume for argument's sake that all of the occupants that night were Caucasian males. If 2 males stayed in each of those occupied rooms, that would calculate to 80 males. We know only one male stayed in JY's room so we can say that 79 males stayed there that night.

According to the 1 in 79 odds that the 3 DNA markers came from a donor other than JY, I think that it's pretty easy to figure out who the 1 in 79 was.

One in 42 is worse than one in 79, one in a few million is good in terms of identifying one single person. One in 42 or 79 doesn`t really mean much when you have to go to the milions to isolate the DNA. If there`s one chance in a few millions that it`s anyone else ... okay, I`ll buy it. If there`s one chance in 42 that it`s anyone else, I don`t accept that as meaning anything in terms of identifying one single person.

It could mean that there are 42 men in the room that share the same 3 alleles - that might be true of a place in the mountains.

There is no chain of custody between the rock in the door and the rock in court.

That`s the funny thing about the rock. It was such a production in the courtroom, with cutting open the package, etc., but it`s meaningless. It shouldn`t have been introduced as evidence as it does little more than demonstrate the weakness of the prosecution`s case. Unless the courts in NC are going to start prosecuting everyone based on a 3 allele match (which I hope would raise some serious concerns amongst the residents), the prosecutors are way out of line trying to draw conclusions based on a 3 allele match. It`s quite likely that the 3 alleles were from a mixed DNA sample - which further weakens the so-called evidence.

That was from the state expert witness.

So, if you take all the physical evidence it goes like this:

1) Karen Morrow, expert shoe witness, could not make a match without the exact shoes. When asked by the defense, if she was saying the shoes were a match, she said No.

2) David Freeman, SBI agent, testified that Jason's DNA was on the sheetrock, but no way to tell how long it had been there.

3)Shawn Weiss, the DNA on rock, 1-79 Caucasians, when asked by the defense it he was saying it was a match, he said it was NOWHERE near a match....

4)David Freeman also testified an unidentified fingerprint was lifted from the medicine cap/top/dropper/
State's theory is that Jason and Michelle's daughter was drugged.

Jurors want physical evidence and that is what the last Jury said as well.

We are going to hear that Jason was unfaithful, and that he swallowed a ring and drew a magic marker face on a woman.

Both of those happened on hit sitcoms, (Friends and According to Jim)
and does not excuse Jason for all his immature selfish behavior.

Also, does not make him a murderer..

IMO

One in 42 is worse than one in 79, one in a few million is good in terms of identifying one single person. One in 42 or 79 doesn`t really mean much when you have to go to the milions to isolate the DNA. If there`s one chance in a few millions that it`s anyone else ... okay, I`ll buy it. If there`s one chance in 42 that it`s anyone else, I don`t accept that as meaning anything in terms of identifying one single person.

It could mean that there are 42 men in the room that share the same 3 alleles - that might be true of a place in the mountains.

There is no chain of custody between the rock in the door and the rock in court.

1 in 42, instead of 1-79 could make it a LOT worse though.
The number given was 1-79.

Re-listening to testimony from the suspect:

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9764909/#/vid9764909

What he`s doing reminds me of how interviews go, where you`re asked a specific question ... except the big difference is that there`s a 1-3 minute time limit for answering interview questions. Jason starts off strong, makes good eye contact when he denies murder. He`s trying to connect with the jury ... to get them to identify with him. He`s used to being a story-teller. Sometimes he seems to have all those extra words in his answers.

He`s telling a pretty weird story about bouffle apple and this meant `beautiful apple`or attractive - the first time he told her he loved her. His lawyer is making sure that Jason`s comfortable answering questions ... kind of setting Jason`s tone.

When he first testified, there was so much talk about his fluttering eyes or water sips ... don`t remember exactly what he said.

I went over his testimony a few times, other than some little discrepancies, or if the twig experiment doesn't work, he is good to go.

Jason can't be expected to remember things from 5+years ago since he never talked.
He can't be asked to compare his statements that he gave police back then, like other witnesses.

But, they can use what he testified to in the next trial, which is set to begin in less than 48 hours.

I don't know which I am more excited about , the Superbowl or the 2nd trial of Jason Young....

I guess since my Eagles will be on the couch with 30 other losing teams, I'll make it.

PS, I was told that Becky Holt has been given second chair, and that Howard Cummings will take over the lead
this time around. I hope I am right.

DNA matching is all about odds and statistics. The results can include or exclude a person from being a contributor.

3 alliels matched JY. That is not a scientific match to exclude all others, but it does narrow a potential pool of donors down. JY cannot be excluded from a potential pool of contributors.

Tarheel's numbers are very interesting. What are the odds that someone else with 3 alliels that match JY propped open that door on the same night that JY admitted he propped open that door...and did so with a landscaping pebble/rock after JY did?

What are the odds that the very camera covering that door had been unplugged on the same night that JY's wife is brutally murdered about 3 hrs later after JY is seen in a different pullover top heading toward that very exit at midnight?

And what are the odds that after that camera was plugged back in and reset at 5:50am that 45 min later a camera would be pushed up to the ceiling, again removing possible video coverage of that doorway/staircase, all on the same day JY's wife was brutally murdered, and an hour after a tall man with light hair angrily cusses out a gas station attendant, throws down a $20, pumps only $15 and hurredly gets back on the road...which is coincidentally 1 hr away from the Hillsville H.I.?

A whole lot of coincidences in a short amount of time that when looked at together don't appear to be just random occurrences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scyna0895