*UPDATED* Trial Date May 9, 2011!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm just wondering.... if the defense is planning on throwing CA under the bus and they've given her 14 months notice of that, who exactly will be ensuring KC has appropriate court attire?

I'm just wondering.... if the defense is planning on throwing CA under the bus and they've given her 14 months notice of that, who exactly will be ensuring KC has appropriate court attire?

Why, Missie Matchy Blouses of course! Think seafoam.....

2011, wow that soon?

It takes creative thinking and time to spend tax-payers money. I wonder if JB has enough time to milk this for every thing it's worth by then?

Sorry, I forgot ..... he can always appeal and open another revenue stream. See .... you just have to think out-of-the-box for solutions and JB has mastered this. Maybe, between the trial and the appeal he can write a book or make good money off of media tours? The possibilities are endless in the Sun Shine state!

Does Florida still have the electric chair?

and can the jury, if KC was to get the DP, recommend that she die by electric chair?

No, the electric chair is only used as a secondary option.
The prisoner can elect to be electrocuted.
With the controversy surrounding the use of the chair an inmate is only likely to choose the chair to increase the debate of its use and delay their execution. Someone used a synthetic sponge instead of a natural sponge in 1999 resulting in flames shooting out of the convicts head, the electricity being turned on and off three times and the coroner saying the man was alive for seven minutes of this. A second inmate was ruled to have died from suffocation under the strap they hold their head in place with rather than electrocution. It is a hot topic down there, but the supreme court said it is not cruel and unusual so it remains in play.

No, the electric chair is only used as a secondary option.
The prisoner can elect to be electrocuted.
With the controversy surrounding the use of the chair an inmate is only likely to choose the chair to increase the debate of its use and delay their execution. Someone used a synthetic sponge instead of a natural sponge in 1999 resulting in flames shooting out of the convicts head, the electricity being turned on and off three times and the coroner saying the man was alive for seven minutes of this. A second inmate was ruled to have died from suffocation under the strap they hold their head in place with rather than electrocution. It is a hot topic down there, but the supreme court said it is not cruel and unusual so it remains in play.

I'm a Canadian so shouldn't be commenting on DP, but my lord! I know people are sentenced to death through a legal process and for good cause, but how awful! I like to think there is a civilized way to put people to death - naive I know.

I'm a Canadian so shouldn't be commenting on DP, but my lord! I know people are sentenced to death through a legal process and for good cause, but how awful! I like to think there is a civilized way to put people to death - naive I know.

I think these are rare cases and that most executions go pretty quietly. Florida had a bad run and stopped executions for awhile and rewrote procedures (a lethal injection didn't go correctly either). The electric chair is a big controversy though which was really inflamed after the supreme court ruled on whether it was cruel and unusual. One of the justices who wanted it abolished posted three photos of the man that was suffocated more than electrocuted with his dissenting opinion and made the photos public.

People went crazy. Both on the United States cannot be doing things like this and on the he didn't show his victims any mercy he got what he deserved side. It is a good way to tie your case up in the courts though, I wouldn't be surprised to see her choose that route if she is sentenced to die. It would keep her in the headlines for years to come.

Not as far as I know - LOL! But my understanding is if Casey approaches the SA to bargain for a plea - she could say okay I will plead to guilty with a sentence of LWOP if you take the DP off the table.

I believe the SA would agree to that and take it to the Judge for his stamp of approval. That is, she would have to appear in front of him and be asked the usual - are you entering into this plea of your own freewill, do you understand the sentencing, are you satisfied with counsel, etc., blah blah.

Wouldn't she have to admit that she murdered Caylee?

I think the killer should be put to death in the same way they murdered their innocent victim. That would be justice. Most victims don't have a civilized death if there is such a thing. They are strangled, beaten to death, etc. Their deaths are not quick and painless. Why should the killer go painlessly out of this world.

So, what other plans do all of you have going on that month , besisdes the Trial ? My daughter is graduating from high school in the very beginning of June, so I have parties to plan, accomodations to make for visiting relatives, and I need to practice not bursting into tears at the ceremony. My baby is leaving us , to go off to college in August. It will be a very bittersweet time for me. So although I want to see Casey go down, I do have so many other things going on that month, I may miss some key moments of the trial. I really really really hope it's aired on maybe Court TV -or Tru TV- or whatever they will be calling it by May. I still remember the OJ simpson trial, the day the verdict was read. My daughter was a toddler, and I was trying to get her to go down for a nap before 1 , when the verdict was scheduled to be read. I can't remember if she went down for a nap or if I just put her in her bed for a little "quiet time". I do remember being so very shocked at the verdict. That and Robert Kardashian's reaction. He too, was shocked. Which was sort of ironic, since he was part of the "Dream Team".
So I also want to thank the posters who will be keeping us up to date. Thanks also to all of you who will be trying to "call in sick" during the trial. I am currently in school, so I can maybe catch afternoons between personal errands, etc. The point here is, we don't know how long the trial will be. With all the silliness of the defense, I see it lasting over 3 weeks. But, I am not employed with, nor do I have a huge knowledge of how trials are done. So let's try to sychronize our schedules so some of us are posting what's going on. I can't type fast, but I will do my best when I have access and am watching. More than likely , I will be asking questions about things. :innocent:

I have a deadline for my screenplays on May 1st, 2011 (trying to get a Fellowship through the Academy of Motion Pictures :dance:). Since the trial doesn't start until May 9th, 2011, I think I will take a mini-vacation before settling in for a long couple months. I plan on dedicating a lot of my life to this trial... as depressing as that sounds, I have been waiting way too long to witness Justice for Caylee and I want to see it all. Hope my DVR can handle it?

I can't believe we have just over four months left? It is going to go by so quick! We have New Years, Super Bowl (It's a Holiday in my house), Valentines Day, St. Patricks Day (Had to throw in Casey's favorite Holiday), and Easter. Not to mention all the hearings that are going to be held these next four months, including the Frye hearing.

It's going to be interesting when Casey makes it to the end of this hallway... is she going to take the risk of going through with the trial or is she going to plead guilty at the last minute?

Well, there's my birthday on May 8th, and then I have finals the week after that. Then it's nothing but work during the day and catching up on the trial at night! Woot! I figure Casey's conviction is going to be a late birthday present for me, LOL.

The point here is, we don't know how long the trial will be. With all the silliness of the defense, I see it lasting over 3 weeks. :innocent:

hearing------april 30th 2010---

judgeP: how long for the State to present their case in chief?
LDB: four weeks----three to four weeks.

judgeP: do you concur mr. baez, considering cross-examination by the defense?
baez: i would anticipate longer------6 weeks.

judgeP: and your best guestimate to put on a defense?
baez: (finally arrives at) 3 weeks.

( i would say it's a given, the defense will exceed 3 weeks)

penalty phase---if found guilty?

ashton: one day.
baez: 5 days.
andrea: 3-5 days.

..so, we're probably looking at a couple of months+ , from start---finish..

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/63424551/Status-Hearing-43010

hearing------april 30th 2010---

judgeP: how long for the State to present their case in chief?
LDB: four weeks----three to four weeks.

judgeP: do you concur mr. baez, considering cross-examination by the defense?
baez: i would anticipate longer------6 weeks.

judgeP: and your best guestimate to put on a defense?
baez: (finally arrives at) 3 weeks.

( i would say it's a given, the defense will exceed 3 weeks)

penalty phase---if found guilty?

ashton: one day.
baez: 5 days.
andrea: 3-5 days.

..so, we're probably looking at a couple of months+ , from start---finish..

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/63424551/Status-Hearing-43010

Can we give a guess-timate on how long it will take to seat a jury? A few days? A week at the most?

With the way Baez worded his answers, it looks like JB is anticipating a 9 week trial... then another week for the penalty phase? That puts us at the week of July 11th-15th for both sides to present their case and for the jury to go into deliberations. I say they deliberate for no more than 5 days... so a guilty verdict to come in the week of July 18th-22nd... a week for the sentencing phase putting us at the week of July 25th-29th for Casey to learn whether she is sentenced to death or LWOP. A lovely early birthday present for Miss Caylee.

Might be nice if the jury did deliberate a little longer so that Casey is sentenced on Caylee's birthday. That would be sweet justice!

Can we give a guess-timate on how long it will take to seat a jury? A few days? A week at the most?

With the way Baez worded his answers, it looks like JB is anticipating a 9 week trial... then another week for the penalty phase? That puts us at the week of July 11th-15th for both sides to present their case and for the jury to go into deliberations. I say they deliberate for no more than 5 days... so a guilty verdict to come in the week of July 18th-22nd... a week for the sentencing phase putting us at the week of July 25th-29th for Casey to learn whether she is sentenced to death or LWOP. A lovely early birthday present for Miss Caylee.

Might be nice if the jury did deliberate a little longer so that Casey is sentenced on Caylee's birthday. That would be sweet justice!

I believe that May 9 is the beginning of jury selection, and Judge Perry believes this will take no more than a week. With this in mind, you may want to adjust your dates above.

Anyone thinking 2 + months ? Into July ?

Oh, it will definitely go into July, imo. I always thought it would take 8 weeks from start to finish, but if Jose says 9 weeks for trial and another week for the penalty phase, I'll just go with it.

We'll get the verdict in July... sentencing might go into August? But looks more like the end of July. Either way, looks like Justice for Caylee will be right on time for her sixth birthday!

I believe that May 9 is the beginning of jury selection, and Judge Perry believes this will take no more than a week. With this in mind, you may want to adjust your dates above.

Okay, so let's give them the week of May 9th-13th for jury selection.

Trial starts the week of May 16th-20th.

9 weeks for the actual trial would put us at the week of July 18th-22nd

Jury goes into deliberations, again I don't think it will take them more than five days, so we will get a sentence ETA: I mean't VERDICT! back the week of July 25th-29th.

Sentencing phase a week puts us in the week of August 1st-5th.

Ahhhhh.... giving us the week of the 8th-12th for Casey to be sentenced!!! Oh man, if this works out, we could easily have Casey sentenced on Caylee's Birthday!! At least the week of her birthday!

JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE!

(I'm just going by Jose's timeline here!!)

ETA: Wonder if Casey knows about this?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove