GUILTY UT - Alexander, 10, & Benjie Vidinhar, 4, murdered, West Point, May 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I read that the 4 & 10 yr old were adopted but the 15 yo is the biological child of the parents. Idk when the adoption took place.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/teen-arrested-death-his-2-brothers-utah

His parents had six children, four of whom were adopted, said family friend and neighbor Lindsey Caballero, adding the parents were sweet, kind and loving.

The 15-year-old was the oldest and a biological son of the couple. The victims were both adopted, Caballero said.

Just going off photographs that I have seen on dad's FB page, I am going to say that I believe that the 3 girls (I have only seen facial pics of 2 of the girls) and the 4yo boy are adopted and that Aza and the 10yo boy are biological. The 10yo looks almost identical to the photo of Aza from when he ran away previously and the boys look very similar to each other in more current photos. JMOO

Hmmm... another neighbor said in a comment section that it was the 15 year old that was adopted. :waitasec:

Davis County SO ‏@DavisCountySO 33m
A second press conference will be held @DavisCountySO at 4 pm today for the media. 800 W. State St., Farmington

Just going off photographs that I have seen on dad's FB page, I am going to say that I believe that the 3 girls (I have only seen facial pics of 2 of the girls) and the 4yo boy are adopted and that Aza and the 10yo boy are biological. The 10yo looks almost identical to the photo of Aza from when he ran away previously and the boys look very similar to each other in more current photos. JMOO

Actually, looking at pics again, I am not sure. There are pictures that show 3 boys (Aza, a boy that looks to be a couple of years younger than Aza and appears to be biologically related to him, and a 3rd boy who appears to be a couple of years younger than the 2nd boy, who does not necessarily look biological). The pics are from 2011 and 2012. The 3rd boy definitely looks older than 4yo even in those pictures, more like 6yo.

There is another picture of 2 little girls (one looks about 5yo and the other looks about 2yo) from 2011.

There is a 4th picture of the back of 4 young kids (2 boys & 2 girls) from 2012. They look to be about 8yo, 7yo, 5yo & 3yo approximately. The youngest girl does not appear to be the same younger girl as in the above described picture as they have different color hair. This picture is from a year ago.

So I don't exactly know. I do believe that the oldest 2 boys are biological though, based on appearance.

It is also possible that they adopted biological brothers, right?
That could account for the two boys looking so much alike.

It is also possible that they adopted biological brothers, right?
That could account for the two boys looking so much alike.

True, I guess we'll know when their names are released, which boys are which, though not necessarily adopted. The 2 oldest boys do look alike and the younger ones, not do much. I don't want to go down the same family dynamics path that many have with Leila.

Richardson said one victim was found downstairs in a "main area," and the other boy was upstairs in a "main area."

-----------------------

But Richardson said he was not the type of boy who had a past that would suggest he would do something like this.

-----------------------

"They were definitely a very positive family," she said. "Sweet, sweet family. Our kids played together. They walked up and down our streets, rode bikes."

She also had high praise for the boys' mother.

"They were happy, energetic kids. You must take a million cups of coffee just to keep up. She just took it all in stride. There was nothing that woman couldn't do with her kids. She is absolutely amazing," Durrwachter said.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=25295004&n...ounger-brothers&fm=home_page&s_cid=featured-1

Such a tragic situation. I wonder if it is true that there was no indication of this kid being troubled or violent previously?

I wonder if he played a lot of violent video games?

From what I'm hearing of the family, I don't think video games were a big thing.

It sounds like they focused much more on activities, sports, playing outside.
It's certainly possible but I'm not getting the impression this kid spent hours playing video games.

Of course people are already blaming all sorts of medications and even teenage hormones for this. :facepalm:

Why is it that when a teenager kills there has to be some medication or something that MADE HIM DO IT!

It can't just be that the kid was angry at his brothers and killed them?
It's that simple when it's an adult... why isn't it with children?

Because people want to believe there is a difference between the 15 year old THEY have and this one.
They want to believe that this can NOT happen to them. Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone.

Initially it was unclear whether the 15 year old was a suspect or victim.
What changed to cause them to arrest him?

He was located in Layton and had been walking for quite some time.
When he was located there was some evidence that we found that directly tied him to the murders.

He was taken into custody for his safety and the public safety.
The evidence that we found directly related him to the scene.

The juvenile has a presumption of innocence. As we gather facts we will keep that in mind.
The County Attorney's office will be the one who decides whether charges are filed and what they will be.
He's being held on two counts of homicide.

So the two killed were his adoptive brothers? My live feed is relooping and I'm missing some things. Two knives, they've found both, he had blood on him. LE says to be respective to the family. He was suppose to be babysitting them, physical evidence found on the 15 year old and he's spoken to investigators bluntly.

Motive?
He's been talking, that will come out with time.

Evidence?
Physical evidence that will tie him back to the scene of the crime.
(MsF opinion is that this is cuts on his hands proving he stabbed them.)

He did not have any weapons on him when they located him.
He did have trace evidence of blood.

Has he confessed?
He has been interviewed but will not say if he's confessed.

Autopsy?
The ME preliminary findings are stab wounds. But that's just preliminary.

Premeditated?
The evidence we have shows no premeditation, but I'm not going to speculate.
As far as the evidence, it doesn't appear premeditated.

Disabilities in 15 year old?
We have not been informed of any.

Other siblings?
The other siblings were with the mother.

Has he provided explanation of what happened IN the home or while he was "missing?"
We found some evidence but won't released that.
We have a firm understanding of the timeline from when he left to when we found him.

He spoke pretty "bluntly" and is cooperative.
The two children that were victims were both adopted.
He is a biological child of the family.

The 15 year old has another biological sibling.

Who was killed first?
From time of death we believe we know, but it would just be speculation.
No evidence that the victims moved after being injured (no blood trails.)

Parents?
This family has lost 3 children... we are trying to be sensitive.

Was he a troubled teen?
Other than the one prior time he ran away, we have no prior history file on him.

Mental illness?
The family has told us a few things but nothing related to mental illness.

Intervention after he ran away?
Just through church, not through LE or anything.

Investigators at the home for a long time. What did they accomplish?
Nothing we found surprised us.
Other than trying to recreate something... nothing that led up to this. There is big holes we have to fill.
Waiting on ME's office to determine cause of death and get a view of what we believe happened.

We HAVE recovered the two murder weapons.
Don't know what style the knives were. We do have evidence from the crime scene.

Do you remember a circumstance like this in the past?
No.
It's extremely emotionally upsetting, not only to the family but to our officers.
We haven't had anything like this happen in a significant amount of time.
We are trying to deal with both the LE part and the emotional aspects of it.

They are talking about charging him as an adult.
Once we finish our investigation we sit down with County Attorney's Office.
At that time we have a chance to work together with them and make sure they understand what we believe happened.
Then THEY decide if they charge him as an adult or send him through the juvenile system.

Our job is to maintain an unbiased view and investigate.

Minor injuries to the suspect?
The injuries we had are what we consider to be usually seen with the type of attack we had.
We aren't going to release the exact injuries he had, except they are not anything that surprised us.

Do you believe the kids fought for their lives?
I don't want to speculate or hypothesize.
Once we get the information from the ME that will give us firm facts.

Do you believe they are defensive wounds?
I'm not going to speculate. Sometimes things that look like defensive wounds end up not being.

Thank you for coming out and please be respectful of the family.

The father is on his way back now, I believe he's in the Air Force, not a pilot.

KSL 4pm presser:

deceased 10 y o found in lower part of house (basement?)

15 y o when found, had been walking for "a long time"

evidence tied him directly to crime scene = taken into custody. there is always presumption of innocence

continuing to gather info which will determine if/when charges will be filed. looking at 2 counts murder at this time

no weapons on him when located, but there was blood evidence on him

ME preliminary findings: stab wounds

premeditated? no evidence of that yet

suspect has no known medical disabilities

"something" occurred between incident and when suspect was located

victims: adopted - suspect: bio child

will not speculate at this point re a blood trail inside home. there are a couple scenarios. no evidence that victims moved during incident

no longstanding history file on suspect except previous runaway

something/something ecclesiastical counseling

nothing found that surprised LE

nothing obvious led up to this, that's what investigations are for

2 weapons/knives recovered

LE dealing with their own emotions, this type of crime

county atty will decide charging as youth or adult. some case law in the past similar crimes

LE definitely calling him the suspect. his injuries: those typically seen during this type of attack

won't speculate whether victims fought attacker

where is father right now? Alabama, TDY (?) there, active military duty, on his way home now

From what I'm hearing of the family, I don't think video games were a big thing.

It sounds like they focused much more on activities, sports, playing outside.
It's certainly possible but I'm not getting the impression this kid spent hours playing video games.

Of course people are already blaming all sorts of medications and even teenage hormones for this. :facepalm:

Why is it that when a teenager kills there has to be some medication or something that MADE HIM DO IT!

It can't just be that the kid was angry at his brothers and killed them?
It's that simple when it's an adult... why isn't it with children?

Because people want to believe there is a difference between the 15 year old THEY have and this one.
They want to believe that this can NOT happen to them. Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone.
BBBM:Work with me here...I get angry at people all the time and I have never stabbed any of them. I think most people get angry at people all the time and don't stab them. Usually when someone stabs someone else, it isn't that simple. Did you mean something different?

This story is just so upsetting. Another young boy accused of killing his little brothers. What is going on??? Is it something in the water??? I wanted to initially believe that this was a situation where there was an attack in the home and the boy ran away afraid. It seems to me as if LE is saying that they have enough evidence to at least arrest him and then we will see if he is charged.

It seems like a nice family, so I wonder what is the motivation. Did the boy feel neglected because of the new little brothers? Feel as though he was being cast aside or that the brothers were favored over him? He ran away once before-what were his reasons for that? Did he feel that having to watch his brothers was an unfair burden on him? I guess I just cannot wrap my brain around a child killing their siblings.

I have 3 children and they fight a lot. But cannot imagine something like this! Because although they fight with each other, they are the first to defend one another if someone else causes trouble-they even take each others' sides over us as well when there is a dispute.

I am sure the parents never thought this could possibly happen either. I cannot imagine what they are going through.

:(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08