GUILTY UT - Brian Mitchell & Wanda Barzee for kidnapping, Salt Lake City, 5 June 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My sympathies are with the victims in this case, The Smarts and I think they have been through enough.

I couldn't find anything about him saying this recently.

My sympathies are with the victims in this case, The Smarts and I think they have been through enough.

I couldn't find anything about him saying this recently.

It is on the newscasts. Not on any transcript.

You will have to trust me that Ed Smart said this.

I am hoping it will be in one of the local papers.

Bolded and italicized by me.

Because it is the right thing to do. Period.

Put yourself in Angela's shoes, if this happened to you, you would probably wonder the same thing yourself. Why does he keep saying things that have now been proved untrue? I could understand the general public saying that an apology was unwarranted back then, but Ed Smart spewing the same rhetoric as recent as December 11, 2010 is completely uncalled for. It would cut me like a knife, as I am sure that is how it feels to Angela. Have some compassion for your fellow man.

THANK YOU. That is what I am trying to say.

I remember Ed saying it years ago but don't know why he would say it recently so I would like to hear or read it for myself.

This statement stuns me for what it is worth. Lies drummed up by Ed Smart? I cant recall reading anything that would support Ricci being in prison because Ed Smart lied about something and put him there. Correct me if I am wrong.

There is enough sympathy to go around for both the Smarts and the Riccis. The fault lies with the lunatics who took Elizabeth.

I think Mr. Smart has been in a defensive posture since he child disappeared-even more so when he found out what happened to her and that the man who took her was hired by him. I think he is entitled to slack as a crime victim.

Mrs. Ricci is entitled to sympathy for losing her husband in prison, where he was for a parole violation IIRC, as unfair as popping him might have been. She received compensation from the system for inadequate medical care as I understand it with no admission of guilt-she can never be adequately compensated for losing him I am sure.

But the apology thing? I am not getting it.

Ed, Lois, and Elizabeth have each other. Ed, Lois and Elizabeth have justice,

Ed and Lois are good Christians who are caring and concerned for people around them.

How hard would it be for Ed Smart to tell Angela Ricci he is sorry for what she went through? Rather than repeat mis information that he wasn't forthcoming.

That is so hurtful because it is so false. I don't know why he would be so mean.

Look, if this were my child you would have a hard time keeping me from strangling Richard if the cops said he kidnapped my son. I would trash him his family anyone around him I would hate him so much.

But if I found out, after all of that, he was totally innocent I would feel terrible for his family and apologize. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you think, "OMG he didn't do it and all these months I have been accusing him": I would. I would feel terrible but not for doing anything wrong but because innocent people (Angela, her son) were hurt by no fault of their own.

Someday I hope and pray the whole story is told. How the investigation wrongly focused on Ricci even when it was obvious he wasn't the one.

Ed Smart never trashed him or his family. Ed only went by what LE told him. Ricci was a criminal and had even shot at a policeman in his past. What would you think if you were in Ed's place?

This case was close to my heart. I was so thankful when they found her. I digress, I think Angela deserves some sort of an apology, has she ever asked for one? Has she reached out to the family herself? As a mother, if my child was missing, I would point fingers too. I would point at anyone and everyone-- JUST in case. My advice to Angela, you know the truth now and so does the world. No one should live in the past, it is over. I understand the pain of the false accusation was probably awful, but again, it is over and I would bask in the glory that you were right and that the case had a happy ending.
The only ones who "owe" an apology are the police. The ones who were so stuck on one suspect that they failed to check out others. This case just makes me shake my head.

Thank you static. I feel as you do and now believe that even if the Smart's were prepared to make some kind of peace when the dust settles, they are in an untenable position. Again, they are crime victims too.

I do not know enough about Ricci and his history and what triggered his violation and what his experience was in prison to know if false imprisonment killed him. Or being falsely accused of a crime. Perhaps Mrs. Ricci's lawsuits were poorly worded, or the targets of the suits were inaccurate or whatever-but they were thrown out by judges because the dotted line she was drawing did not appear to be based on what happened and who was responsible.

I guess I just dont get demanding a crime victim apologize to another victim in this crime. It might be nice-but is it essential for Mrs Ricci to move on? Like static said Mrs. Ricci knows the truth, the world knows the truth and like the rest of us the Smart's know the truth. Let them absorb what has just happened-that the boogey man who stole their daughter has finally been convicted. Let the dust settle.

JMVHO.

Ed, Lois, and Elizabeth have each other. Ed, Lois and Elizabeth have justice,

Respectfully snipped. I dont know what justice is in this case. I am glad Elizabeth seems whole and I am glad she has moved forward with her life. I wonder if she actually feels she has justice-I wonder how Jaycee Dugard will feel when her case finally comes to trial.

Richard Ricci was a criminal. He spent time in the Utah State Prison. He shot at a cop (and grazed him thank God it was nothing worse) in the mid 80's and he stole some meat from a freezer. He was a criminal. No excuses. BUT he did not kidnap Elizabeth Smart.

Please read the press release below. Now that Elizabeth has her justice Angela would just like something very simple. An apology from the Smarts for what her family has gone through.

People all over the world have reached out to Angela yet Ed Smart insists on repeating fabrications about Richard Ricci.

All that does is hurt. Hurt Angela and her son.

Please feel free to take this post and the press release and post it or send it anywhere you see fit.

Richard Ricci was a criminal but he was loved. And most importantly he did not kidnap Elizabeth. Just because he was on parole does not give anyone the right to falsely accuse him of a horrible crime.
Thanks,
Tricia

I have a son who was accused of causing terrible injuries to a little old lady in a car accident. He was very young, only 17, and had no other "criminal" history, HOWEVER: He was wrongly accused, and the jury (yep, we were sued) found 100% in my son's favor....but in the meantime, my son's name was trashed, he was gossiped about (the story was that LE had found cocaine in his car: reality, they found powder my son used on his hands when playing pool), my entire family became fodder for the most atrocious lies you've ever heard. Thank GOD the jury was so educated that they could rightly interpret the accident scene! But we came close, my friends, to losing everything we'd worked for over the many years.....our reputation, our home, our savings, our retirement funds, etc.

Even after all the years that have passed, even after my child was vindicated by the civil jury, there are STILL some people who believe that he "beat the system." Read: they think he did harm the lil old lady through his negligent driving and was just lucky enough/smart enough to convince the jury otherwise.

Because of what happened to my son, to my family, my heart is always ready to overflow for the wrongly accused, to not only give the benefit of the doubt but to SCREAM for justice.

What happened to this man was so wrong. There was never any evidence that he had taken or harmed Elizabeth in any way, and personally, I would have apologized LONG AGO if I were a member of Elizabeth's family.

In fact, if I were ELIZABETH, I think I'd apologize for any wrong done in my name!

Thanks for the link. I think I will pass it on!

NG also trashed this poor man over and over in typical NG fashion. He was guilty in her eyes she had made the decision he was.

Nancy's behavior after Mr. Ricci died-----and was "exonerated"-----was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. How hard is it to say "sorry"?

and again....

Seriously?

It is serious for me. If you or a member of your family had ever been falsely accused, publicly dragged through the mud, I think you might agree to the seriousness of the damage of false accusations......and to how desperately the apology might be desired by the wounded party or his family.

I have a son who was accused of causing terrible injuries to a little old lady in a car accident. He was very young, only 17, and had no other "criminal" history, HOWEVER: He was wrongly accused, and the jury (yep, we were sued) found 100% in my son's favor....but in the meantime, my son's name was trashed, he was gossiped about (the story was that LE had found cocaine in his car: reality, they found powder my son used on his hands when playing pool), my entire family became fodder for the most atrocious lies you've ever heard. Thank GOD the jury was so educated that they could rightly interpret the accident scene! But we came close, my friends, to losing everything we'd worked for over the many years.....our reputation, our home, our savings, our retirement funds, etc.

Even after all the years that have passed, even after my child was vindicated by the civil jury, there are STILL some people who believe that he "beat the system." Read: they think he did harm the lil old lady through his negligent driving and was just lucky enough/smart enough to convince the jury otherwise.

Because of what happened to my son, to my family, my heart is always ready to overflow for the wrongly accused, to not only give the benefit of the doubt but to SCREAM for justice.

What happened to this man was so wrong. There was never any evidence that he had taken or harmed Elizabeth in any way, and personally, I would have apologized LONG AGO if I were a member of Elizabeth's family.

In fact, if I were ELIZABETH, I think I'd apologize for any wrong done in my name!

Thanks for the link. I think I will pass it on!

Nancy's behavior after Mr. Ricci died-----and was "exonerated"-----was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. How hard is it to say "sorry"?

It is serious for me. If you or a member of your family had ever been falsely accused, publicly dragged through the mud, I think you might agree to the seriousness of the damage of false accusations......and to how desperately the apology might be desired by the wounded party or his family.

Thank you and I am so sorry for what happened to your son. It is just awful.

I want to clear something up. There is no demand for an apology. Just wondering why after everything Ed insists on trashing, yes trashing Richard Ricci with information that is false. Say the truth if you are going to say negative things. But Ricci did fully cooperate and yet Ed says he did not. Why he won't reach out and tell Angela he is sorry for what she went through.

Angela stepped up to the plate and did the right thing all along. She cooperated fully too and believe me she was praying along with everyone for Elizabeth's safe return.

Then to hear Ed Smart say Richard didn't fully cooperate when the reality is the reason he was in prison was because he admitted everything is very painful.

An acknowledgement of her pain just as she has done with their family over the years is not a far out suggestion.

I think we are talking in circles here.

All I can tell you is if you sat down and talked with Angela for a few moments I think some of you would change your mind.

I am so thankful Elizabeth is home and glowing as her mother says. She deserves all the happiness the world has to offer. The Smarts deserve the happiness and the joy they now have with their family. God Bless them for what they have been through. Elizabeth has shown courage and grace through this whole circus with Mitchell. She has a bright future ahead of her.

No, Angela has not threatened a lawsuit in any way shape or form.

I am not as understanding as you are Believe. I think it was more for monetary reasons they hired street people. Not contractors or sub contractors, no one with a license, but street people who would work for pennies on the dollar. I could be wrong.

The Smarts didn't have any idea their hiring of street people would lead to this.

I can understand why they would be hurt that Ricci stole from them but he is dead and he is dead because he was falsely accused in their daughter's kidnapping. I just don't get the cruelty on their part not to reach out to Angela.

If I remember I think Ricci stole a t-shirt and a bottle of seashells from the Smarts. He also admitted to taking a hundred-dollar bill he saw on the Smart's neighbor's dresser.

Terrible thing to do. I agree but it would seem that his death would overshadow what he did to them. Does that make sense?

Tricia, I love you and WS and will be as gentle as I can. BBM. IIRC, This is why he ended up back in prison. He also stole from others. He was facing a three strikes situation for being a career criminal. Richard was exactly where he needed to be. As a single woman who has no choice but to hire strangers to work in my house, It scares me to death thinking about a Richard Ricci working in my house. I know Angela loved him, but Richard was what he was. It appears that Richard conned his wife into believing he had changed when he had not. I think it's Richard who owes Angela an apology. ETA: I think it was Richard's lifestyle that caused his death, not the theft of the Smarts possessions.

The Smarts did know about their daughter and her recollection of Imanuel. They took it straight to LE who ignored the Smarts. Because of that Ed was the one who initiated the contact with AMW that led to the info being broadcast and ultimately Elizabeth being found.

IMO, the Smarts do not owe Angela any sort of apology.

(((Hugs) Angela, I hope that you will find peace of mind eventually.

In fact Angela would have remained quiet had Ed not kept repeating lies about Richard such as he didn't fully cooperate.
Snip by me....
This is a local story to me. I live in Utah and I followed it very close.
In fact I even searched for her.
I just wanted to address the part above.
Ed did not lie.... Richard did not fully cooperate.
It was said over and over on the news.
The police came out and said it themselves.
Richard did not cooperate in the investigation.
I feel bad for his wife but I don't think Ed needs to say sorry for stating the truth.

JMO

--respectfully snipped for emphasis

This.

I think we can all empathize with the horrible nightmare Ed & Lois Smart were living during that time. I can even understand wanting an answer so desperately that you grasp on tight to any lead that sounds remotely promising. HOWEVER, after Elizabeth was rescued and returned home, Ed Smart owed Angela Ricci a phone call. And he should have done it months ago. If for no other reason to express his regret for what her husband was put through when he was INNOCENT of the crime for which he was a strong POI. IMO, he needed to ask Angela Ricci for forgiveness and understanding of how despondent his family was at the time. He also needs to express his condolences for the death of her husband and the stress it caused her entire family.

And, I really don't understand his recent comment, "Ricci was not forthcoming during the investigation." Either there is something I am totally unaware of or he was wayyyyy out of line with that comment.

Agree 100%! How hard could it really be for Ed to be as Smart as You were in this post?! I can honestly say that when this case was fresh, I had a hinky feeling about Ed Smart - I can completely offer an "I am So very Sorry for my Erronious Thoughts" to him for that without hesitation...should I add an addendum to my apology that if it were not for his hiring of such "HandyMen" off the street dirt cheap and bring them into his home filled with children and his wife is something I still consider to be a move that I would never personally consider doing because it's obviously a STUPID thing to do and now He knows also why - Unfortunately for Elizabeth...the hard way?!

Thank You, Tricia. Had you not brought this to our attention, we all know that this information would have stayed the way Ed Smart wants it to be. I would venture a wild guess that his daughters would handle this situation with much more class and dignity than he has.

If Angela is reading...Please...Rise Above. I have a feeling that the sincerity that you believe you need from Ed Smart is not inside of him, I hope that I am wrong, but if I'm not, my wish for you is that you and your family are able to find your own Inner Peace and go forward with this all too short invaluable time that we are Blessed to have in this Life.

IMO-
RR!

Snip by me....
This is a local story to me. I live in Utah and I followed it very close.
In fact I even searched for her.
I just wanted to address the part above.
Ed did not lie.... Richard did not fully cooperate.
It was said over and over on the news.
The police came out and said it themselves.
Richard did not cooperate in the investigation.
I feel bad for his wife but I don't think Ed needs to say sorry for stating the truth.

JMO

Trust me. He did cooperate. This is mis information. He fully and completely cooperated. Ed Smart did not speak the truth and that is why Angela is hurt.

After what the police did in this case I wouldn't take what they said as gospel truth. Normally I would be the first one to defend the police but they kept trying to get Richard to admit he did something when he didn't.

The police also said Richard took his car out of the auto shop and drove it the night of the kidnapping. Not true.

They said Angela was passed out on the couch and didn't know Richard had left. Not true. I could go on and on and on.

What I would like to see happen is the case files opened up. But that is not going to happen.

The people who did not do their jobs are no longer with the police department.

One of the FBI agents involved told Angela the first day there were out there that he was so sure of Richard's guilt that he would climb the highest mountain and shout Richard was innocent and quit his job if he was wrong.

Their minds were made up.

Richard Ricci was a criminal. I am not defending that part nor defending what he did. Like I said I would have throttled him had I been told he kidnapped my child.

But part of the reason we are such great country is we are all suppose to be treated equally. The police decided Richard was guilty damn the facts. He wasn't treated equally imo.

I don't want to say negative things about Ed Smart. He has done so much good in the face of adversity.

To me this is such a simple issue of human decency that's all. All the other things around it make the message become lost.

To reach out to the widow of a man wrongly accused in your daughter's kidnapping seems so simple. It would help her heal so much.

Agree 100%! How hard could it really be for Ed to be as Smart as You were in this post?! I can honestly say that when this case was fresh, I had a hinky feeling about Ed Smart - I can completely offer an "I am So very Sorry for my Erronious Thoughts" to him for that without hesitation...should I add an addendum to my apology that if it were not for his hiring of such "HandyMen" off the street dirt cheap and bring them into his home filled with children and his wife is something I still consider to be a move that I would never personally consider doing because it's obviously a STUPID thing to do and now He knows also why - Unfortunately for Elizabeth...the hard way?!

Thank You, Tricia. Had you not brought this to our attention, we all know that this information would have stayed the way Ed Smart wants it to be. I would venture a wild guess that his daughters would handle this situation with much more class and dignity than he has.

If Angela is reading...Please...Rise Above. I have a feeling that the sincerity that you believe you need from Ed Smart is not inside of him, I hope that I am wrong, but if I'm not, my wish for you is that you and your family are able to find your own Inner Peace and go forward with this all too short invaluable time that we are Blessed to have in this Life.

IMO-
RR!
He isnt very Christianlike, not in my book. How horrible was the pressure on that poor man when he was falsely accused and died?
Im so very sorry for his wife that these people cant offer her any condolences:(
At the time, the Smart case was seen all over the country and that was a horrendous crime to be accused of. R I P Mr Ricci and Im so sorry for your loss, Angela.

Guys, I want to make sure you all understand something.

I have nothing against Ed Smart. In fact just the opposite. I was with the rest of the country when Elizabeth was kidnapped. Praying and hoping for a miracle.

In the meantime Ed Smart has taken to the trenches to fight for the rights of our children. That's wonderful.

That's why this is so hard. I have also sat with Angela Ricci on many occasions while she sobbed because she is alone. Her family is forgotten in this mess. She has nothing. She is not well.

Some of you would say that her choices are what got her to where she is and you would be right to some extent but as a human being my heart breaks for her. Why? Because she was left broken and with a cloud of doubt over her and her family.

So when Ed Smart comes out and says Ricci didn't cooperate her heart is broken all over again.

I wish Ed would call Angela and ask to here what she went through too. The relentless questioning by police. The accusations by people like Nancy Grace that she was hiding something.

Yes, the true people at fault are Mitchell and his sick bride Wanda. But they are not going to do the right thing.

I sort of expect people of Ed Smart's caliber to step up and comfort someone who is hurting by no fault of their own.

It would be different if Elizabeth hadn't come home and if Mitchell hadn't been found guilty but Ed and his family have each other and justice to some extent.

By no fault of the Smart family Angela and her family are forgotten and still broken. As a human with a good heart I guess I expect Ed Smart to care.

*snipped and bolded by me"

Maybe I'm misreading Nova... but it sounds like Nova is going from the past - before there was another suspect.

But, by the quote above (snipped/bolded by me) Ed is STILL trying to blame and/or implicate Richard Ricci (see the date of the quote?) for some part in the crime of the kidnapping - which Richard wasn't responsible for.

If anything, Ed owes Mrs. Ricci an apology for trying to still implicate Richard to the crime. The man was innocent of this particular crime, he doesn't need to keep being blamed or implicated just because Ed feels like it. There is no proof that Richard had anything to do with this kidnapping at this date and time and Ed should refrain from trying to implicate Richard in this manner - especially since Richard is no longer here to defend himself.

JMO

With respect, I think you're misreading the quote you provided. Saying someone isn't "forthcoming" doesn't automatically imply they are guilty of the crime in question. (People can be and have been less than forthcoming for lots of reasons.)

Smart IS blaming Ricci for helping to make himself a suspect. And I have no doubt that is what Smart was told by LE.

Could Smart have been more gracious now that it's clear Ricci had nothing to do with the abduction? Yes, he could have. But if he is still blaming Ricci for the abduction, you're right: I haven't heard or seen it. (I admit this is not a case I follow closely.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back