Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
^^bbm

Since thread #2 only opened a couple of days ago, and no breaking news during this period, I believe OP will find answers to most questions being posed, in thread #1. (FYI, links to prior threads can be found on page one of every WS case thread).

To be clear, at no time between Monday, May 30, to Wednesday, June 15, has BECSO, or any other agency, taken possession of DR's 640-acre farm, or any assets on the farm, including the Red, Ford-150.

Chief Deputy Cade Palmer with the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office told KSL they were notified Dylan was missing on Monday. Volunteer search and rescue crews searched the area around his home on Monday and Tuesday.

Palmer said detectives followed up on leads on Wednesday and Thursday but came away without any new direction on his whereabouts. He says there is no evidence of foul play at this point, adding that the only thing suspicious is that—after four days—they have no new information. 6/3/22

On Monday, May 30, in response to DR's parents' (CC & JR) call that their 19-year-old son, DR, had been suspiciously out of touch since Saturday, May 28, and his whereabouts, for whatever reason, unknown, BECSO traveled to meet the parents at DR's 640-acre farm located in Lucin, UT.

According to CC, BECSO arrived at the farm shortly after 5 pm and left the property about 4.5 hours later.

CC provided that within 90 minutes of BECSO surveilling the farm property for DR, searchers located a pair of boots, identified by the parents as belonging to DR, behind a dirt mound located more than 5 miles from DR's trailer/camper & Ford truck where he resides.

Since the boots had what appeared to be a possible blood stain, the parents voluntarily handed over DR's boots to BECSO for presumptive lab testing for blood.

A few days later, following up on the lab tests, CC contacted BECSO and was shocked and dismayed to learn that DR's boots had remained in the boot of the detective's vehicle, not arriving at the lab until June 6.

As of this date, it's been confirmed the presumptive test on DR's boots came back proof positive for blood substance. It's still unknown if the blood stain is animal or human.

In response to a media inquiry about DR missing, as quoted above, BECSO Chief Palmer told KSL5 News that there was no evidence of foul play at this point, and DR's case was being treated as a missing person investigation.

Be advised that at no time since BECSO first entered the farm on Monday, May 30, did authorities treat any part of DR's 640-acre farm or its assets as a crime scene. There was no effort by BECSO to preserve any evidence, and aside from DR's boots, no evidence was collected from the farm.

As to why DR's Ford was driven to Idaho, be advised that with BECSO's blessing, JR busted out the rear window of the Ford to gain access to the truck cab, and the truck was then driven to Idaho to replace the window.

Again, absent any sign of foul play, the truck was never impounded or searched by BECSO but instead left in the care of DR's parents.

On Wednesday afternoon, June 15, BECSO issued a press release update on DR's case where for the first time, they stated that DR's case was an active law enforcement missing person/criminal investigation. No information was provided as to when or why the case was upgraded to include criminal status, but only that updates that do not have the potential to compromise the investigation will be released.

Fortunately, with the change in the investigation status, also came the assistance of the FBI. Most recently, during a joint interview with East Idaho News, the parents confirmed that authorities have since collected DR's trailer, camper, and the Ford-F150 also in the possession of ISP. As of June 22, the date of the joint interview, JR could not confirm if there were plans to collect any other equipment still located on the farm.

While pleased to see action on DR's case, especially from the FBI, the family regrets that 16 critical days passed before authorities agreed that DR missing is most likely the result of foul play. MOO

Great summary @Seattle1 !

Oh I agree it’s unlikely Dylan washed it. I’m just trying to account for why the wheels were muddy and the rest was clean. It doesn’t seem to be much of a stretch to me to think someone (whether Dylan or, more likely, another player that may be responsible for his disappearance) washed the whole truck but by the time it was washed, it had started raining and the ground got muddy which got the tires muddy. In this scenario, it would narrow down the timeframe to something happening to Dylan before it started raining, or at least before the ground may have gotten saturated with rain. This whole theory is blown out of the water if the pressure washer was near the truck of course.
The wheels of the pickup truck were clean and so were the back wheel wells. Only the front wheel wells were muddy. Most likely nobody drove the truck after it had been washed.

The pressure washer used water from the pond, which was near Dylan's camper trailer and pickup truck.

Seattle,
Thank you for the excellent synopsis! It’s so useful to have a basic timeline and major points about this case in one place. Would so love your post to be placed and remain at the top of each thread on this case for reference, much as the moderator’s comments are.
Seattle does a fantastic job of updating the data.

The wheels of the pickup truck were clean and so were the back wheel wells. Only the front wheel wells were muddy. Most likely nobody drove the truck after it had been washed.

The pressure washer used water from the pond, which was near Dylan's camper trailer and pickup truck.
In one picture I saw of the truck, it appeared the the tailgate was down when it was pressure washed and when put up - the tail gate was still clearly dirty. As if the focus of the wash down was the bed of the pickup.

I believe you are correct. This is absolutely astounding they (LE) allowed that to happen. The seat position being what it was is…I’ll say odd. Same with the fact it was driven in the first place and taken out of state. I’d like to know the particulars of how it came back into possession of LE and what happened in between it left that farm and came back into possession of LE. Can’t seem to find much that CC has said about that for some reason.

It’s important to note that the case became classified as a criminal investigation shortly after (2 days I believe) the truck was back in LE possession. Which means it was not likely triggered by the discovery of, the placement of or the testing of those darn boots <modsnip> MOO
I will preface this by saying that if I were the parent of a missing child, I would move heaven and earth to find them.
I would also like to say, as a former LEO, that you are restrained by law as to what you can do when called to a report of an adult missing person. As an adult in the United States you are protected against unreasonable search and seizure.
Folks have repeatedly criticized LE for not protecting the crime scene and preserving evidence. What crime scene?
When LE first responded, they went to the shed where Dylan was last thought to be headed. After taking a report from Dylan’s parents that their adult son hadn’t been heard from in 2 days, they searched the area and found a pair of boots that the parents believed belong to their son. There was a drop of a substance on the boot that the parents believed to be motor oil. The officer took the boots in case they were needed for scent for tracking dogs. There was also an understanding that the boots would be submitted to a lab to determine if the droplet on the boot was human blood. Aside from the boots, nothing was out of the ordinary in the shed area. Nothing was missing. It showed no sign of being a crime scene.
Officers then responded to Dylan’s home, a trailer that was parked 5 miles away from the grain shed. Dylan’s parents, CC and JR, told LE that he would sometimes walk the 5 miles between these locations. His trailer was parked on the land owned jointly by him and his grandfather and where he was getting ready to plant his first crop.
CC has said that their fear was an accident had happened between the shed and the trailer as he walked, perhaps a snakebite, or that he had fallen and broken a leg.
When LE arrived at the trailer, they observed Dylan’s pickup parked and locked. The trailer showed no sign of ransacking according to the Sheriff and nothing appeared to be missing.
There was no sign that this was a crime scene.
The parents insisted they wanted to get into Dylan’s truck. The truck is actually owned by Dylan’s dad. The sheriff, as reported by CC, probably did say it was their truck and they could do what they wanted. Because they could!
I would only ask that people try to look at this case from both perspectives. Dylan is a 19 year old who has been living on his own and from all accounts is very mature and hardworking. It was a holiday weekend and it was about to rain so he couldn’t work the farm. Suppose he decided to take some time and went off with a friend for a few days after carefully storing his grain and leaving his locked truck at his home? LE has found no evidence that a crime has been committed. They have no right to start towing vehicles, searching his residence or otherwise violating his rights.
If LE arrived at the grain shed or the trailer and found a pool of blood or a body, or the trailer ransacked, or farm equipment stolen, then they would most likely have a crime scene. At that time they would immediately begin a criminal investigation.
Unfortunately in a case like Dylan’s, of a missing adult with no signs of foul play, it is often time that is the indicator that something is wrong; no further contact, no bank transactions, no cell activity. This time factor is what adds to the frustration of victims’ families and also results in possible loss of evidence for LE.
In this litigious society that we live in today, how do we best begin immediate investigations of missing adults while at the same time preserving their privacy and rights?

I will preface this by saying that if I were the parent of a missing child, I would move heaven and earth to find them.
I would also like to say, as a former LEO, that you are restrained by law as to what you can do when called to a report of an adult missing person. As an adult in the United States you are protected against unreasonable search and seizure.
Folks have repeatedly criticized LE for not protecting the crime scene and preserving evidence. What crime scene?
When LE first responded, they went to the shed where Dylan was last thought to be headed. After taking a report from Dylan’s parents that their adult son hadn’t been heard from in 2 days, they searched the area and found a pair of boots that the parents believed belong to their son. There was a drop of a substance on the boot that the parents believed to be motor oil. The officer took the boots in case they were needed for scent for tracking dogs. There was also an understanding that the boots would be submitted to a lab to determine if the droplet on the boot was human blood. Aside from the boots, nothing was out of the ordinary in the shed area. Nothing was missing. It showed no sign of being a crime scene.
Officers then responded to Dylan’s home, a trailer that was parked 5 miles away from the grain shed. Dylan’s parents, CC and JR, told LE that he would sometimes walk the 5 miles between these locations. His trailer was parked on the land owned jointly by him and his grandfather and where he was getting ready to plant his first crop.
CC has said that their fear was an accident had happened between the shed and the trailer as he walked, perhaps a snakebite, or that he had fallen and broken a leg.
When LE arrived at the trailer, they observed Dylan’s pickup parked and locked. The trailer showed no sign of ransacking according to the Sheriff and nothing appeared to be missing.
The parents insisted they wanted to get into Dylan’s truck. The truck is actually owned by Dylan’s dad. The sheriff, as reported by CC, probably did say it was their truck and they could do what they wanted. Because they could!
I would only ask that people try to look at this case from both perspectives. Dylan is a 19 year old who has been living on his own and from all accounts is very mature and hardworking. It was a holiday weekend and it was about to rain so he couldn’t work the farm. Suppose he decided to take some time and went off with a friend for a few days after carefully storing his grain and leaving his locked truck at his home? LE has found no evidence that a crime has been committed. They have no right to start towing vehicles, searching his residence or otherwise violating his rights.
If LE arrived at the grain shed or the trailer and found a pool of blood or a body, or the trailer ransacked, or farm equipment stolen, then they would most likely have a crime scene. At that time they would immediately begin a criminal investigation.
Unfortunately in a case like Dylan’s, of a missing adult with no signs of foul play, it is often time that is the indicator that something is wrong; no further contact, no bank transactions, no cell activity. This time factor is what adds to the frustration of victims’ families and also results in possible loss of evidence for LE.
In this litigious society that we live in today, how do we best begin immediate investigations of missing adults while at the same time preserving their privacy and rights?
I always appreciate your insight and posts.

^^bbm

Since thread #2 only opened a couple of days ago, and no breaking news during this period, I believe OP will find answers to most questions being posed, in thread #1. (FYI, links to prior threads can be found on page one of every WS case thread).

To be clear, at no time between Monday, May 30, to Wednesday, June 15, has BECSO, or any other agency, taken possession of DR's 640-acre farm, or any assets on the farm, including the Red, Ford-150.

Chief Deputy Cade Palmer with the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office told KSL they were notified Dylan was missing on Monday. Volunteer search and rescue crews searched the area around his home on Monday and Tuesday.

Palmer said detectives followed up on leads on Wednesday and Thursday but came away without any new direction on his whereabouts. He says there is no evidence of foul play at this point, adding that the only thing suspicious is that—after four days—they have no new information. 6/3/22

On Monday, May 30, in response to DR's parents' (CC & JR) call that their 19-year-old son, DR, had been suspiciously out of touch since Saturday, May 28, and his whereabouts, for whatever reason, unknown, BECSO traveled to meet the parents at DR's 640-acre farm located in Lucin, UT.

According to CC, BECSO arrived at the farm shortly after 5 pm and left the property about 4.5 hours later.

CC provided that within 90 minutes of BECSO surveilling the farm property for DR, searchers located a pair of boots, identified by the parents as belonging to DR, behind a dirt mound located more than 5 miles from DR's trailer/camper & Ford truck where he resides.

Since the boots had what appeared to be a possible blood stain, the parents voluntarily handed over DR's boots to BECSO for presumptive lab testing for blood.

A few days later, following up on the lab tests, CC contacted BECSO and was shocked and dismayed to learn that DR's boots had remained in the boot of the detective's vehicle, not arriving at the lab until June 6.

As of this date, it's been confirmed the presumptive test on DR's boots came back proof positive for blood substance. It's still unknown if the blood stain is animal or human.

In response to a media inquiry about DR missing, as quoted above, BECSO Chief Palmer told KSL5 News that there was no evidence of foul play at this point, and DR's case was being treated as a missing person investigation.

Be advised that at no time since BECSO first entered the farm on Monday, May 30, did authorities treat any part of DR's 640-acre farm or its assets as a crime scene. There was no effort by BECSO to preserve any evidence, and aside from DR's boots, no evidence was collected from the farm.

As to why DR's Ford was driven to Idaho, be advised that with BECSO's blessing, JR busted out the rear window of the Ford to gain access to the truck cab, and the truck was then driven to Idaho to replace the window.

Again, absent any sign of foul play, the truck was never impounded or searched by BECSO but instead left in the care of DR's parents.

On Wednesday afternoon, June 15, BECSO issued a press release update on DR's case where for the first time, they stated that DR's case was an active law enforcement missing person/criminal investigation. No information was provided as to when or why the case was upgraded to include criminal status, but only that updates that do not have the potential to compromise the investigation will be released.

Fortunately, with the change in the investigation status, also came the assistance of the FBI. Most recently, during a joint interview with East Idaho News, the parents confirmed that authorities have since collected DR's trailer, camper, and the Ford-F150 also in the possession of ISP. As of June 22, the date of the joint interview, JR could not confirm if there were plans to collect any other equipment still located on the farm.

While pleased to see action on DR's case, especially from the FBI, the family regrets that 16 critical days passed before authorities agreed that DR missing is most likely the result of foul play. MOO

I believe you misunderstood my post completely but that’s for sharing the information that others may not have been aware of

I agree with everything you said. Initially, there was no crime scene. Sometimes LE gets criticized no matter what they do. Thank You for your insight.

His only boots being left behind (and probably their semi-concealed location a considerable distance away from his trailer) was very suspicious to the parents from the get go, but obviously not to LE.
I am still not convinced that those were his only pair of shoes or boots. I know Mom is insisting that she knows that to be true. However, she also insisted he had no social life but only loved farming, 24/7.

I think it is quite possible that he had some sneakers, slides, rain boots, slippers, or something besides those boots. JMO

His only boots being left behind (and probably their semi-concealed location a considerable distance away from his trailer) was very suspicious to the parents from the get go, but obviously not to LE.

In the parent's most recent (joint) interview with East Idaho News, they said as much -- LE suggested DR could have purchased a new pair or kept other footwear they were not familiar with. It really is hard to believe an individual with a single pair. I think most youths are still required to have a pair of athletic shoes for physical education, right? o_O

IMO, it was seeing the boots in the desert, off of DR's feet, that turned both (CC/JR) of their worlds upside down. I think this ocd thing with DR and his very specific brand of footwear is something only the family can relate to. MOO

I am still not convinced that those were his only pair of shoes or boots. I know Mom is insisting that she knows that to be true. However, she also insisted he had no social life but only loved farming, 24/7.

I think it is quite possible that he had some sneakers, slides, rain boots, slippers, or something besides those boots. JMO
Yes, he did have a pair of muck boots, which Candice said were in the camper.

A discarded pair of boots does not a crime scene make.
This was the point in which I have been trying to (carefully to remain within TOS) make in previous posts…NOT criticizing LE for the handling of what others prematurely stated as being a “crime scene”. How would it be classified and treated as a crime scene and why should it have been one at this point? I’m sure LE picked up on the assertion it was. MOO

By the time his mother reported him missing, she knew that there was no contact with other family or the friend for the last few days. She did it after they compared notes. The grandmother did the sensible thing and called people first who were able to verify if he was on his farm. His friend was next and then the parents. The parents (separately) heard from him every few days. His truck was parked near his trailer, so he didn't go somewhere trying to replace the phone.

Exactly @indicolite22. And of course, they "compared notes" -- spurring DR's respective parents to each loaded up and head to Lucin, UT to check up on their son.

Also, this was Memorial Day weekend when many take off for a few days or are out of touch-- including the Rounds where CC & JR recently told us the holiday weekend found JR him DR's siblings traveling to Las Vegas.

And this forum is not the place to throw shade on the parents.

MOO

There is still, as far as the public knows, no crime scene.
True but the context of the post I was replying to was explaining why finding boots or a power washed truck doesn’t necessarily equal a crime scene; for people 2nd guessing why LE made the decisions they did when initially investigating Dylan’s disappearance.

IMO

There is still, as far as the public knows, no crime scene.
Exactly. It’s interesting that those words have been used and it’s not been LE. IMO. The timeline of when the investigation was publicly named a criminal investigation compared to when the truck was in the possession of Idaho State Police gives an interesting perspective as well.

The general silence from LE actually tells more of a story than what some assume as them having nothing. Box Elder alone had 650 hours of investigative hours ALONE days ago per their media release. That’s the agency that has been criticized by the family for not doing enough. 650 hours tells a different story and DOES NOT include counting other agencies. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes. Also, NO ONE has been cleared. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonnyfastball
Back