Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will preface this by saying that if I were the parent of a missing child, I would move heaven and earth to find them.
I would also like to say, as a former LEO, that you are restrained by law as to what you can do when called to a report of an adult missing person. As an adult in the United States you are protected against unreasonable search and seizure.
Folks have repeatedly criticized LE for not protecting the crime scene and preserving evidence. What crime scene?
When LE first responded, they went to the shed where Dylan was last thought to be headed. After taking a report from Dylan’s parents that their adult son hadn’t been heard from in 2 days, they searched the area and found a pair of boots that the parents believed belong to their son. There was a drop of a substance on the boot that the parents believed to be motor oil. The officer took the boots in case they were needed for scent for tracking dogs. There was also an understanding that the boots would be submitted to a lab to determine if the droplet on the boot was human blood. Aside from the boots, nothing was out of the ordinary in the shed area. Nothing was missing. It showed no sign of being a crime scene.
Officers then responded to Dylan’s home, a trailer that was parked 5 miles away from the grain shed. Dylan’s parents, CC and JR, told LE that he would sometimes walk the 5 miles between these locations. His trailer was parked on the land owned jointly by him and his grandfather and where he was getting ready to plant his first crop.
CC has said that their fear was an accident had happened between the shed and the trailer as he walked, perhaps a snakebite, or that he had fallen and broken a leg.
When LE arrived at the trailer, they observed Dylan’s pickup parked and locked. The trailer showed no sign of ransacking according to the Sheriff and nothing appeared to be missing.
There was no sign that this was a crime scene.
The parents insisted they wanted to get into Dylan’s truck. The truck is actually owned by Dylan’s dad. The sheriff, as reported by CC, probably did say it was their truck and they could do what they wanted. Because they could!
I would only ask that people try to look at this case from both perspectives. Dylan is a 19 year old who has been living on his own and from all accounts is very mature and hardworking. It was a holiday weekend and it was about to rain so he couldn’t work the farm. Suppose he decided to take some time and went off with a friend for a few days after carefully storing his grain and leaving his locked truck at his home? LE has found no evidence that a crime has been committed. They have no right to start towing vehicles, searching his residence or otherwise violating his rights.
If LE arrived at the grain shed or the trailer and found a pool of blood or a body, or the trailer ransacked, or farm equipment stolen, then they would most likely have a crime scene. At that time they would immediately begin a criminal investigation.
Unfortunately in a case like Dylan’s, of a missing adult with no signs of foul play, it is often time that is the indicator that something is wrong; no further contact, no bank transactions, no cell activity. This time factor is what adds to the frustration of victims’ families and also results in possible loss of evidence for LE.
In this litigious society that we live in today, how do we best begin immediate investigations of missing adults while at the same time preserving their privacy and rights?
F3XN4IDT7QE6CA3II7KEPFGTYM.jpg

IMO, it was seeing the boots in the desert, off of DR's feet, that turned both (CC/JR) of their worlds upside down. I think this ocd thing with DR and his very specific brand of footwear is something only the family can relate to. MOO ^^rsbm

If one can envision that gut feeling that overcame the parents the moment they saw DR's boots, one should also be able to understand how torturous the 16-day wait was for them until the legal case status caught up with the parents' intuition. They're certainly not the first that lived this situation, and they won't be the last. I'm thinking of Jason Landry's parents as I type. :(

The agony in JR's voice at about the 1:25 min mark as he describes that he'll never forget the look on CC's face when they saw DR's discarded boots on Sunday is palpable. This-- from a man that's been divorced from CC since DR was age 4. And JR thinks his own look was also probably unforgettable.

For the majority of us, including LE, this was a pair of discarded boots.

Suspicious? Sure.

But not an immediate path to foul play.

However, it's watching, and listening to JR, less than a week after DR was reported missing, where you can feel that these parents individually both knew, with every fiber of their being, that something was seriously wrong the minute searchers came upon DR's boots.

In other words, for the parents, I don't think it even matters to them how the boots became separated from DR's feet. The boots are symbolic to them. As I said in my quoted post, whatever DR's boots represent is something unique and understandable to this family. I can respect that.

Footwear is replaceable.

Where is Dylan?

MOO

Part of the admin comment about the local response on the official Find.. fb page:

"In the days and weeks following Dylan's disappearance there was a huge effort by local residents to search any way they could. In the last week of so I think everyone has stepped back and let the authorities conduct their investigation in hopes of answers. It may be of interest to know that names of people who have been tossed around as possibly involved consider Dylan a friend and are hurting as well."

Exactly. It’s interesting that those words have been used and it’s not been LE. IMO. The timeline of when the investigation was publicly named a criminal investigation compared to when the truck was in the possession of Idaho State Police gives an interesting perspective as well.

The general silence from LE actually tells more of a story than what some assume as them having nothing. Box Elder alone had 650 hours of investigative hours ALONE days ago per their media release. That’s the agency that has been criticized by the family for not doing enough. 650 hours tells a different story and DOES NOT include counting other agencies. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes. Also, NO ONE has been cleared. MOO

Yeah and a missing gun, a kid who talked to his family ever day, his favorite and only boots discarded, missing cell phone and wallet, oddly parked truck and ever changing stories from key players, a kid who worked his *advertiser censored* off to get to this very moment.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah and a missing gun, a kid who talked to his family ever day, his favorite and only boots discarded, missing cell phone and wallet, oddly parked truck and ever changing stories from key players, a kid who worked his *advertiser censored* off to get to this very moment.

<modsnip>
<modsnip> fyi. Dylan didn’t talk to his family every day. He last talked to his father on Thursday, his mother, I believe Wednesday, his grandmother on Saturday. Mom and Dad weren’t even looking for him until Monday when some ranch hands couldn’t locate him. The ranch hands were requested to go by his place by the gma because Dylan had said he’d call her back on Saturday, but didn’t.
LE responded when the parents called them on Monday. It was LE who found a pair of boots that looked like Dylan’s.
If Dylan took a couple of days off on a holiday weekend, he probably brought his wallet, cell phone, and very possibly his side arm with him, (as he did most days). Dylan is an adult male who lives on his own and works a farm. He has every right to go wherever he wants whenever he wants.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

For newer members who may not know, Websleuths is primarily pro-LE and generalized bashing of LE is not appropriate or productive in this discussion.

In any case we are not privy to everything LE knows, when they knew it, what they have done, seen, etc. Unless there is something in MSM to substantiate negative speculation, allegations, insinuations against LE, we don't allow it.

Thanks for your understanding of our policy and posting in accordance with it.

1656273540955.png
I've always thought this is what it'll take to get any answers. Pretty large sum.

Currently "Upto $100,000 reward for information that leads to safe return or recovery, arrest and conviction of person responsible"

Last edited:

I've always thought this is what it'll take to get any answers. Pretty large sum.
Tried to upload pic of current flyer but I guess it's too large.
Currently "Upto $100,000 reward for information that leads to safe return or recovery"

OP link didn't work for me.

I'll try to compress the flyer as I had the same message (too large for WS server).

Thanks for the update @FlamingoLady.

THE FAMILY OF DYLAN ROUNDS IS OFFERING UP TO A
1f539.png
$100,000 REWARD
1f539.png
FOR THE SAFE RETURN OR INFORMATION DIRECTLY LEADING TO THE RECOVERY, ARREST AND CONVICTION OF PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DISAPPEARANCE OF DYLAN.​

Attachments

• Compressed Photo.jpg
    Compressed Photo.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 5
That they're calling it a "criminal" investigation that says everyone agrees that DR didn't just leave on his own.
Well spoke.
That just leaves us with the why how and where.
They had a head start.

My instinct, very often well off, says it was personal.
Personal is rarely rational so that shelves the why.
The how is probably no great mystery either if they used other vehicles and if there was more than one, which I suspect, he could have been overpowered without leaving much evidence, maybe just the single drop of blood on his boot?

That leaves the where.
And the fact that they didn't apparently kill him wherever they ambushed him but took him away?

View attachment 351345

Currently "Upto $100,000 reward for information that leads to safe return or recovery, arrest and conviction of person responsible"

I've seen some large rewards like this over the years. I can't remember the last time a reward was successful, but I think the numbers are very low.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing them for offering one. I'd try anything if I were in a MP's families shoes too.

I've seen some large rewards like this over the years. I can't remember the last time a reward was successful, but I think the numbers are very low.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing them for offering one. I'd try anything if I were in a MP's families shoes too.
A large reward worked in a local case here. A university student and her friend were crossing the street at night (lit crosswalk). They were hit by a speeding car. She died, her friend survived. Friend related, that the car stopped, only to throw off his friend from the front windshield area, and drove off.

Parents were distraught, offered a $250,000 reward for finding the culprit. It worked. Somebody talked. The culprits were a couple, with a baby who was ALSO in the car, living in the neighborhood, hid their car with a cracked windshield in a garage.

It could work here. Somebody might talk for that money. Somebody might decide to move out of the area for "snitching".

A large reward worked in a local case here. A university student and her friend were crossing the street at night (lit crosswalk). They were hit by a speeding car. She died, her friend survived. Friend related, that the car stopped, only to throw off his friend from the front windshield area, and drove off.

Parents were distraught, offered a $250,000 reward for finding the culprit. It worked. Somebody talked. The culprits were a couple, with a baby who was ALSO in the car, living in the neighborhood, hid their car with a cracked windshield in a garage.

It could work here. Somebody might talk for that money. Somebody might decide to move out of the area for "snitching".
Awful story, so glad the reward worked for the victim's parents.

<modsnip> fyi. Dylan didn’t talk to his family every day. He last talked to his father on Thursday, his mother, I believe Wednesday, his grandmother on Saturday. Mom and Dad weren’t even looking for him until Monday when some ranch hands couldn’t locate him. The ranch hands were requested to go by his place by the gma because Dylan had said he’d call her back on Saturday, but didn’t.
LE responded when the parents called them on Monday. It was LE who found a pair of boots that looked like Dylan’s.
If Dylan took a couple of days off on a holiday weekend, he probably brought his wallet, cell phone, and very possibly his side arm with him, (as he did most days). Dylan is an adult male who lives on his own and works a farm. He has every right to go wherever he wants whenever he wants.

<modsnip>
Yup. I remember the Mackenzie Lueck case having more suspicious circumstances, but even so, law enforcement initially lacked the probable cause to do much about it.

There were innocent explanations in that one, and she was a legal adult.

The same applied here, even with some things that may have seen off to the family.

They've got to follow the law, and with thousands of people going missing a day, odds are that it's going to end like the overwhelming majority of those, with an explanation that does not involve a crime being committed.

Of course time passed, more information came to light, and here we are:

A probable case of foul play.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missinginfo541