UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecutors allege that Kouri intentionally drugged Eric after court filings said she purchased $1,800 worth of fentanyl pills in the weeks leading up to his overdose. Court filings made by the Richins family state Kouri “had a financial motive to murder Eric.”

Kouri, who works as a realtor in Summit County, told deputies she and Eric were celebrating her closing on a house for the business, and that she made him a Moscow Mule, which he consumed in the bedroom. Kouri went to sleep shortly after in one of their children’s bedrooms stating that the child was having a night terror, according to charging documents. She told deputies her cell phone was left charging in her bedroom.

A medical examiner determined Eric was in good health and did not use medications that contained fentanyl. An autopsy determined he likely consumed the fentanyl orally. There was nothing to indicate Eric used illicit drugs recreationally

Good question. I imagine it’s a huge amount of energy to get someone to publish an unknown writer’s book. It would be interesting to find out how she did it.

IMO, she probably self-published the book, with the help of a “book doctor” type service, such as Book Writing Lane, a business mentioned earlier.

Many self-published or vanity press books use a “publisher” on the copyright page. But many of these are not established publishers, but a name the author chooses to use for the printing of their books.

I’ve been in a writing group for over 30 years, with many of us published, both with mainstream publishers and self-publishing. Self-publishing does not have the stigma of years past, IF you do it properly and professionally.

I’d love to have seen a copy of this book, or to have been able to see the copyright information on the Amazon listing before it was pulled.

Is the book still showing for sale anywhere? Thank you if you know and can share.

Such a sad story, and the financial shenanigans she pulled fill in a lot of the story.

IMO, she probably self-published the book, with the help of a “book doctor” type service, such as Book Writing Lane, a business mentioned earlier.

Many self-published or vanity press books use a “publisher” on the copyright page. But many of these are not established publishers, but a name the author chooses to use for the printing of their books.

I’ve been in a writing group for over 30 years, with many of us published, both with mainstream publishers and self-publishing. Self-publishing does not have the stigma of years past, IF you do it properly and professionally.

I’d love to have seen a copy of this book, or to have been able to see the copyright information on the Amazon listing before it was pulled.

Is the book still showing for sale anywhere? Thank you if you know and can share.

Such a sad story, and the financial shenanigans she pulled fill in a lot of the story.
I can’t wait ‘til someone runs plagiarism software on KR’s book….

I can’t wait ‘til someone runs plagiarism software on KR’s book….
Same! Apparently, KR and an Australian author were both members in the same Facebook book group called ‘Children's Book Authors and Illustrators: Publishing Marketing and Selling’ where the AU author Casey Gulispie gave tips to aspiring authors on how to become successful in getting their books published.

Casey Gulispie has authored two children’s books about a Nana who became her own children’s guardian angel after their grandmother went to Heaven.

Last edited:

Eric Richins’ family says Kouri should not profit from her alleged crime.​

Utah has a law, called the "slayer statue," which says killers cannot profit from their crimes.
Now attorneys for the family of Eric Richins, who was found dead of a fentanyl overdose last March in their family home in Kamas, petitioned for the law to apply to his wife Kouri, who is charged with his murder.

Prosecutors allege that Kouri intentionally drugged Eric after court filings said she purchased $1,800 worth of fentanyl pills in the weeks leading up to his overdose. Court filings made by the Richins family state Kouri “had a financial motive to murder Eric.”

Kouri, who works as a realtor in Summit County, told deputies she and Eric were celebrating her closing on a house for the business, and that she made him a Moscow Mule, which he consumed in the bedroom. Kouri went to sleep shortly after in one of their children’s bedrooms stating that the child was having a night terror, according to charging documents. She told deputies her cell phone was left charging in her bedroom.

A medical examiner determined Eric was in good health and did not use medications that contained fentanyl. An autopsy determined he likely consumed the fentanyl orally. There was nothing to indicate Eric used illicit drugs recreationally
I don't know how many fentanyl pills can be purchased with $1,800. Would that have been the cost of one fatal dose or would there be leftovers?

Same! Apparently, KR and an Australian author were both members in the same Facebook book group called ‘Children's Book Authors and Illustrators: Publishing Marketing and Selling’ where the AU author Casey Gulispie gave tips to aspiring authors on how to become successful in getting their books published.

Casey Gulispie has authored two children’s books about a Nana who became her own children’s guardian angel after their grandmother went to Heaven.

I swear I've seen that "3 C's" concept before. Maybe in a blog?

Hopefully, someone in that FB group will put their finger on it.

Consider, KR would have had to write that book (and the next in the series) and get it illustrated while buying a multimillion dollar home, dealing with multiple construction contractors to flip it, and newly taking care of 3 children solo. Not to mention relatives breathing down her neck.

I wonder who had the brains to go to the celebration party KR threw 2 days after her husband's death? I mean, would you? Even for a friend? I'd be horrified if I got an invitation like that.

I don't know how many fentanyl pills can be purchased with $1,800. Would that have been the cost of one fatal dose or would there be leftovers?
Per the indictment, KR purchased two batches of $900. ER had 5x the lethal dosage in his system.

5x:

*so imagine there is a possiblilty she got them at $5 a piece, that would give her about 360 pills. Most of the pills out there are illegally manufactured knockoffs. So, with a high quantity she prob got a discount. No way she bought them all to poison her husband. possibly she’s a user? If so, withdrawal should come pretty quick in jail. I was on the prescription Duragesic 75 mg fentanyl patchs, when I fractured my spine in 3 places for a year. Ridiculously painful to withdraw.

PPB's Narcotics and Organized Crime Unit (NOC) has seized nearly 570,000 fentanyl pills and just over 4,000 grams of power since June 4, 2021. One kilogram costs $1,000 to produce--and just one kilogram of fentanyl has the potential to kill 500,000 people. It is sold for about $1,300 per ounce. Pills are commonly sold for $5-$10 each.
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfmid=412335&ec=1

Fentanyl, like other illicit substances, has a wholesale price and a personal use price (1). As the amount purchased increases, the price decreases. The wholesale amount for fentanyl is approximately 5 grams. Pharmaceutical grade fentanyl is available for purchase on illegal online drug markets for approximately $1400 per gram for amounts smaller than 5 grams and approximately $139 per gram for amounts greater than 5 grams. 5 grams of fentanyl is enough to provide a lethal dose to 2500 adult male’s.

An estimated 48% of illegally manufactured pills (4) confiscated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) contained doses of 2 milligrams or more of fentanyl, a lethal dose for most adults. Fentanyl pills are available by prescription as well though they are far less common than other forms.

Last edited:

About the Author
Kouri D. Richins is the mother of 3 young boys and a licensed realtor in Utah. She attended graduate school at Utah State University where received her Masters Degree. After the death of her husband, she wrote the children’s book, Are You With Me? for her kids to let them know dad is always near. In the book he is an angel at every event in their life. She enjoys spending time with her family, traveling, and volunteering with various youth programs and organizations.

*so imagine there is a possiblilty she got them at $5 a piece, that would give her about 360 pills. Most of the pills out there are illegally manufactured knockoffs. So, with a high quantity she prob got a discount. No way she bought them all to poison her husband. possibly she’s a user? If so, withdrawal should come pretty quick in jail. I was on the prescription Duragesic 75 mg fentanyl patches when I broke my fractured my spine for a year. Ridiculously painful to withdraw.

PPB's Narcotics and Organized Crime Unit (NOC) has seized nearly 570,000 fentanyl pills and just over 4,000 grams of power since June 4, 2021. One kilogram costs $1,000 to produce--and just one kilogram of fentanyl has the potential to kill 500,000 people. It is sold for about $1,300 per ounce. Pills are commonly sold for $5-$10 each.

Fentanyl, like other illicit substances, has a wholesale price and a personal use price (1). As the amount purchased increases, the price decreases. The wholesale amount for fentanyl is approximately 5 grams. Pharmaceutical grade fentanyl is available for purchase on illegal online drug markets for approximately $1400 per gram for amounts smaller than 5 grams and approximately $139 per gram for amounts greater than 5 grams. 5 grams of fentanyl is enough to provide a lethal dose to 2500 adult male’s.

An estimated 48% of illegally manufactured pills (4) confiscated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) contained doses of 2 milligrams or more of fentanyl, a lethal dose for most adults. Fentanyl pills are available by prescription as well though they are far less common than other forms.
Wow! So, possibly she was a user herself or she resold what she bought. Thanks for the education.

Eric Richins’ family says Kouri should not profit from her alleged crime.​

Utah has a law, called the "slayer statue," which says killers cannot profit from their crimes.
Now attorneys for the family of Eric Richins, who was found dead of a fentanyl overdose last March in their family home in Kamas, petitioned for the law to apply to his wife Kouri, who is charged with his murder.

Wow, extremely money hungry ... stealing from your own husband. Or anyone, it's wrong and then to murder him for financial gain. moo

I don't believe UT is a community property state. I'd have to check on that. moo

Utah property laws​

Utah is a "common law" state (not a "community property" state), which means that each spouse is a separate individual with separate legal and property rights. Thus, as a general rule, each spouse owns and is taxed upon the income that he or she earns. Common law is the dominant property system in the United States.[1]

Last sentence BBM

What states are considered "Common Law Property States"?​

Most states are common law property states. So, what does it mean to live in a common law property state and who owns what after a divorce? The term "common law" is simply a term used to determine the ownership of marital property (property acquired during marriage). The common law system provides that property acquired by one member of a married couple is owned completely and solely by that person. Of course, if the title or deed to a piece of property is put in the names of both spouses, however, then that property would belong to both spouses. If both spouses' names are on the title, each owns a one-half interest.[3]

I suspect that bookstores have pulled her book? In addition, if someone request a book refund their request is honored? Speculation ...
Some have, not all. I found it at several stores. I maybe OT so I apologize but seeing the rating plummet and reading the comments is interesting to say the least.

We need to change your avatar @arielilane, (I'm thinking the energizer bunny.) How you keep up with so many threads is amazing, and I am grateful, as I know many others are.

Last edited:
*so imagine there is a possiblilty she got them at $5 a piece, that would give her about 360 pills. Most of the pills out there are illegally manufactured knockoffs. So, with a high quantity she prob got a discount. No way she bought them all to poison her husband. possibly she’s a user? If so, withdrawal should come pretty quick in jail. I was on the prescription Duragesic 75 mg fentanyl patchs, when I fractured my spine in 3 places for a year. Ridiculously painful to withdraw.

It's probably about $50 a pill. Fentanyl is not cheap on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member