UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Common Law Property" State? Prenuptial Agreement? Probate Procedure?

Utah property laws​

Utah is a "common law" state (not a "community property" state), which means that each spouse is a separate individual with separate legal and property rights. Thus, as a general rule, each spouse owns and is taxed upon the income that he or she earns. Common law is the dominant property system in the United States.[1]
Last sentence BBM

What states are considered "Common Law Property States"?​

Most states are common law property states. So, what does it mean to live in a common law property state and who owns what after a divorce? The term "common law" is simply a term used to determine the ownership of marital property (property acquired during marriage). The common law system provides that property acquired by one member of a married couple is owned completely and solely by that person. Of course, if the title or deed to a piece of property is put in the names of both spouses, however, then that property would belong to both spouses. If both spouses' names are on the title, each owns a one-half interest.[3]
@arielilane Thanks for your post w ^ info, speaking to how "common law property" works as a general rule.
Respectfully, as you may know, depending on several other specific factors, "common law property" principles may or may not apply to a given married couple.
For example a couple who executed a prenuptial agreement w provisions varying from "common law property" principles which would otherwise apply, to a divorcing couple or to probate, inheritances, or other distributions of a husbands or wife's estate.

After an earlier post* said: "...I'm guessing the prenup stated that she would lose everything granted to her if the marriage ended in divorce..." I asked if anyone had further info about the (presumed?) prenup or the lawsuit re "control of the estate."
I've not yet seen links to a Petition or other court-filed doc's for either lawsuit referenced in MSM:** probate proceedings or "separate legal action."

Anyone?

@arielilane Thanks for your post w ^ info, speaking to how "common law property" works as a general rule.
Respectfully, as you may know, depending on several other specific factors, "common law property" principles may or may not apply to a given married couple.
For example a couple who executed a prenuptial agreement w provisions varying from "common law property" principles which would otherwise apply, to a divorcing couple or to probate, inheritances, or other distributions of a husbands or wife's estate.

After an earlier post* said: "...I'm guessing the prenup stated that she would lose everything granted to her if the marriage ended in divorce..." I asked if anyone had further info about the (presumed?) prenup or the lawsuit re "control of the estate."
I've not yet seen links to a Petition or other court-filed doc's for either lawsuit referenced in MSM:** probate proceedings or "separate legal action."

Anyone?

About the Author
Kouri D. Richins is the mother of 3 young boys and a licensed realtor in Utah. She attended graduate school at Utah State University where received her Masters Degree. After the death of her husband, she wrote the children’s book, Are You With Me? for her kids to let them know dad is always near. In the book he is an angel at every event in their life. She enjoys spending time with her family, traveling, and volunteering with various youth programs and organizations.
How did her book perform in terms of sales?

How did her book perform in terms of sales?
@flowershop
I have not seen actual sales numbers, but here's some info snipped from earlier post* w quotes from Amazon, now removed.

"Best Sellers Rank: #2,072 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#13 in Children's New Baby Books
#30 in Children's Parents Books
Customer Reviews: 4.1 4.1 out of 5 stars 40 ratings"

Not working:

Some have, not all. I found it at several stores. I maybe OT so I apologize but seeing the rating plummet and reading the comments is interesting to say the least.

We need to change your avatar @arielilane, (I'm thinking the energizer bunny.) How you keep up with so many threads is amazing, and I am grateful, as I know many others are.
Thank you for your kindness, its greatly appreciated :)

Anyone?

IMO, she probably self-published the book, with the help of a “book doctor” type service, such as Book Writing Lane, a business mentioned earlier.

Many self-published or vanity press books use a “publisher” on the copyright page. But many of these are not established publishers, but a name the author chooses to use for the printing of their books.

I’ve been in a writing group for over 30 years, with many of us published, both with mainstream publishers and self-publishing. Self-publishing does not have the stigma of years past, IF you do it properly and professionally.

I’d love to have seen a copy of this book, or to have been able to see the copyright information on the Amazon listing before it was pulled.

Is the book still showing for sale anywhere? Thank you if you know and can share.

Such a sad story, and the financial shenanigans she pulled fill in a lot of the story.
Would be interesting to know how many hard copies had been printed. Also who printed them.

Same! Apparently, KR and an Australian author were both members in the same Facebook book group called ‘Children's Book Authors and Illustrators: Publishing Marketing and Selling’ where the AU author Casey Gulispie gave tips to aspiring authors on how to become successful in getting their books published.

Casey Gulispie has authored two children’s books about a Nana who became her own children’s guardian angel after their grandmother went to Heaven.

Source?

My initial post was general information, respectively. ;)
@arielilane
Which is why my response to your post noted:
"Respectfully, as you may know, depending on several other specific factors..."

It was more for the benefit of other posters, than for you.
Some may be not aware that a couple may execute a prenuptial agreement to circumvent "common law property" principles, by tailoring the prenup contract to their own particular circumstances and preferences.

It might perform even better now, but by law, one cannot profit from a crime, so...
That ruling has been shot down by the supreme court ,and other courts. .
Son of Sam Laws.

1991 in Simon and Schuster v. Members of the New York State Crime Victims Board the Supreme Court declared that the statute was an unconstitutional content-based restriction of speech for two reasons.

First, the statute was overinclusive because it applied to any work that expressed the author’s thoughts or recollections of the crime, whether or not the author had been accused or convicted. Because crime-related expression itself is not criminal, writing about a crime should be protected under the First Amendment.

Second, the statute was underinclusive because it imposed a financial burden on individuals related to the content of their speech — that is, it would redirect income from an expressive activity, whereas other income would not be included.

Several lower courts also have invalidated state Son of Sam laws. For example, the Nevada Supreme Court invalidated its state law in Seres v. Lerner (Nev. 2004).

This article was originally published in 2009. Sandra Thomas is the Director of the library at Southeastern Oklahoma State University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia