UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure of this, but I believe I've heard that, even if no semen is recovered from a rape, there may still be other forensic evidence from the perpetrator, such as pubic hairs, skin cells, and maybe more? If there is no internal DNA, I hope they are able to recover other types of forensic clues.
I'm guessing they also have ballistic evidence from bullets or shell casings, though that may not have brought them closer to finding the killer or killers.

JMO

Is the assumption there was sexual assault just based on them being partially naked? Or has the SA been confirmed?

I’m still heavily leaning towards this being drug related with or without SA. SA is high among meth users, so much so that when i worked in the justice system, if someone with kids tested positive for meth, they were reported to CPS because the children were at risk of being sexually abused. It’s my understanding that meth makes a person hyper sexual.

Is the assumption there was sexual assault just based on them being partially naked? Or has the SA been confirmed?

I’m still heavily leaning towards this being drug related with or without SA. SA is high among meth users, so much so that when i worked in the justice system, if someone with kids tested positive for meth, they were reported to CPS because the children were at risk of being sexually abused. It’s my understanding that meth makes a person hyper sexual.

The confirmation of rape comes from the warrant for the cell phone tower data, which stated several criminal acts including murder, rape, desecration of a corpse, etc.

I'm not sure of this, but I believe I've heard that, even if no semen is recovered from a rape, there may still be other forensic evidence from the perpetrator, such as pubic hairs, skin cells, and maybe more? If there is no internal DNA, I hope they are able to recover other types of forensic clues.

You are correct - saliva is another good source of DNA from sexual assaults along with the things you mention.

I'd also say that "internal DNA" is not always the slam dunk evidence that you might think (even if there hasn't been five days of decomposition) because it is by its very nature mixed with the victim's DNA. Most of the time the perpetrator's DNA (if male) can be separated out from the victim's (if female) and sequenced to create a perpetrator DNA profile but it does add a complicating factor to the DNA analysis and can even lead to an erroneous profile being generated. Every case is different and there are plenty of confirmed sexual assaults (even recent ones - I'm not just talking about cold cases here) for which it was not possible to get an offender profile, unfortunately. Let's hope that they have something to work with in this case. MOO.

Well, it's beginning to look like we may never hear if the cell tower dump is working or not ? I'm sure all that is being looked at by the sheriff's office & FBI ? Sure hope something drops soon!
These ladies deserve justice, their friends, family deserve justice , and the citizens need to be able to rest easer knowing these brutal perpetrators will be found and locked up , no bail-!
M00

yes, I created the link (in the quoted post) in response to @WillieMac
My apologies JJ, if I missed your reply to an earlier post of mine. If you did, I must have missed it (or, if I did reply, I completely forgot about it - the ALZ may be kicking in earlier than I expected if that's the case. <& I want to add a smile emoji but there's really nothing to smile about with that comment of mine> ...but anyway, if you had replied to one of my comments & I haven't yet replied to your reply - but you were expecting one, plz hmu again bcuz I must have missed it.

This is based on my own speculation given the facts I see in the warrants, news articles, etc. It seems more probable to me that Kylen and Crystal were murdered while closer together. It seems less likely that they were murdered and/or drug after the murder to the places they were found fifty feet apart. I'm wondering if it's possible that Crystal's mortal remains floated down stream fifty feet after the rapes and murders. I don't see any information in the warrants regarding possible shoes or clothing recovered at the crime scene. i.e. if they were forced at gunpoint to disrobe and take their shoes off. The terrain appears fairly rugged, so I would be surprised if going barefoot was an option.
I feel hopeful that the perpetrator will be caught. I'm guessing the cell phone tower dump that was requested contained quite alot of data in it. Even though this was a remote area, the wedding taking place during this exact time frame with 100 people in attendance would have created quite a bit of activity on cell phones in my opinion.

I wish this case got more media attention! We've heard no updates on anything. It's so sad!
I couldn't agree more. Here, we actually have a case that has been ruled a homicide and victims shot to death. If the Grand County Sheriff's Dept needs assistance, they need to ask for help today. Utah needs to do better by these two residents.

You are correct - saliva is another good source of DNA from sexual assaults along with the things you mention.

I'd also say that "internal DNA" is not always the slam dunk evidence that you might think (even if there hasn't been five days of decomposition) because it is by its very nature mixed with the victim's DNA. Most of the time the perpetrator's DNA (if male) can be separated out from the victim's (if female) and sequenced to create a perpetrator DNA profile but it does add a complicating factor to the DNA analysis and can even lead to an erroneous profile being generated. Every case is different and there are plenty of confirmed sexual assaults (even recent ones - I'm not just talking about cold cases here) for which it was not possible to get an offender profile, unfortunately. Let's hope that they have something to work with in this case. MOO.

They can compare the known autosomal markers, as well. However, in this case, if they found semen (which is a fluid that contains DNA and has its own proteins that are discernible for some time after death). I don't think that was any sort of rushing creek, so it's hard to estimate how much was left - but clearly, it was a man - if they can find DNA, they certainly can find larger molecules.

So...the Y chromosome doesn't contain a whole lot of markers that are individual - it only confirms he's male (and a few other rare traits could be there - for CODIS to look at).

But they have DNA from the two women, so they can exclude that from their study and piece together the fragments they have of autosomal DNA (the other 44 chromosomes + the man's X chromosome - so 45 other chromosomes with thousands of genes). Some slots in the genome are highly variable and they look at those in CODIS - and that's where a possible match begins.

It's never a slam dunk, but I hope fervently that some of it will be useful. CODIS doesn't generate profiles - and to do that requires an entirely different kind of study. Use of DNA based profiles is still very young - but I think the main point of it is to ID someone already in the system. I also believe that this particular criminal has been in the system - has been caught before.

If he hasn't, then yeah, it's going to take several different types of expertise to get any kind of profile.

They can compare the known autosomal markers, as well. However, in this case, if they found semen (which is a fluid that contains DNA and has its own proteins that are discernible for some time after death). I don't think that was any sort of rushing creek, so it's hard to estimate how much was left - but clearly, it was a man - if they can find DNA, they certainly can find larger molecules.

So...the Y chromosome doesn't contain a whole lot of markers that are individual - it only confirms he's male (and a few other rare traits could be there - for CODIS to look at).

But they have DNA from the two women, so they can exclude that from their study and piece together the fragments they have of autosomal DNA (the other 44 chromosomes + the man's X chromosome - so 45 other chromosomes with thousands of genes). Some slots in the genome are highly variable and they look at those in CODIS - and that's where a possible match begins.

It's never a slam dunk, but I hope fervently that some of it will be useful. CODIS doesn't generate profiles - and to do that requires an entirely different kind of study. Use of DNA based profiles is still very young - but I think the main point of it is to ID someone already in the system. I also believe that this particular criminal has been in the system - has been caught before.

If he hasn't, then yeah, it's going to take several different types of expertise to get any kind of profile.
I agree. It doesn't seem like this is his first crime!
M00

Here is a link to a La Sal Mountains webcam. It's available to search back 6 years of footage. Perhaps there is someone here who has eagle eyes.

Windy as forecasted

And FYI, Cindy Sue has said in various interviews that the "creek" was not a creek at all, but barely a stream. I don't think Kylen was very deep under water.

Here is a link to a La Sal Mountains webcam. It's available to search back 6 years of footage. Perhaps there is someone here who has eagle eyes.

Windy as forecasted

And FYI, Cindy Sue has said in various interviews that the "creek" was not a creek at all, but barely a stream. I don't think Kylen was very deep under water.
Is there a camera near the Forestry Road turn off ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mustanglawton
Back