UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@WingsOverTX, thanks for this link to an excellent article.

I do have one criticism -- the subtitle is wildly inaccurate and I'll speculate that an editor in New York or somewhere on the East Coast inserted it for dramatic effect: "When a lesbian couple was murdered on a remote trail in Moab, Utah..."

These women were murdered at their car camping site just off a maintained gravel road, not in some primeval wilderness location.

The article does make an important point, though, and as the stepmom of a gay son married to an awesome guy, I'm aware of the danger to them just being themselves, anywhere at any time.

The most thorough coverage I have read about these women and their murders. It does have a point of view but excellent insight & details.

"Sean-Paul [Kylen's father] is still waiting for the Grand County Sheriff’s Office to come out with evidence—ballistics, DNA—that conclusively links Pinkusiewicz to the crime, but he believes Pinkusiewicz is likely the murderer. (As of press time, no further updates on the case have been released.)"

Thanks. That was informative and had a few non-critical details that I hadn't seen elsewhere. FWIW the NC State Professor's name is actually KangJae Lee (not KaeJang).

Never having had CSH's experience, I think it difficult to know exactly how one would react at that moment! (I probably wouldn't be able to drive).

However, I do know that I would never have gone up searching around a mountain campsite alone -- especially if two of my friends had just disappeared from the same location. JMO

ETA: I recall CSH was on the phone with victim's father while she was searching but I would not have driven there by myself. o_O
Seems that it was a violent crime, Sounds like a man. Plus, what would be the motive for CSH? Love + Jealousy? She’d still have to kill two. From what I understand, both women were poor, so no financial gain, it seems.
For a straight man, SA could be the motive, <modsnip> This motive would be missing in a gay man (P). Likewise, hate crime is not logical if P was gay.
Nothing makes any sense. RIP, Kylen and Crystal.

I don’t know what to make of CSH experience, except for - driving in hot weather? I know mirages happen in deserts, maybe, aberrations of auditory perception could be possible? JMO for lack of a better explanation,

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that it was a violent crime, Sounds like a man. Plus, what would be the motive for CSH? Love + Jealousy? She’d still have to kill two. From what I understand, both women were poor, so no financial gain, it seems.
For a straight man, SA could be the motive, given that one woman was young and attractive. This motive would be missing in a gay man (P). Likewise, hate crime is not logical if P was gay.
Nothing makes any sense. RIP, Kylen and Crystal.

I don’t know what to make of CSH experience, except for - driving in hot weather? I know mirages happen in deserts, maybe, aberrations of auditory perception could be possible? JMO for lack of a better explanation,

Sounds like you're saying that sexual assault can only be the motive if the victim is "young and attractive." Did you really mean to write this?

Seems very contrary to what I know about sexual crimes.

Sounds like you're saying that sexual assault can only be the motive if the victim is "young and attractive." Did you really mean to write this?

Seems very contrary to what I know about sexual crimes.

Of course, not. And shouldn’t stipulate who and whether was assaulted. (If I understood correctly from the article, it was in the list of the perp’s crimes). I wrote it as the response to visually imagining the situation (Kylen, tall, would be noticed from afar). In general, though, it doesn’t appear a clear story to me. JMO.

Of course, not. And shouldn’t stipulate who and whether was assaulted. (If I understood correctly from the article, it was in the list of the perp’s crimes). I wrote it as the response to visually imagining the situation (Kylen, tall, would be noticed from afar). In general, though, it doesn’t appear a clear story to me. JMO.

So tall people are more likely to be "noticed" and thus sexually assaulted? I really don't understand your reasoning here, but your original post does say "For a straight man, SA could be the motive, given that one woman was young and attractive."

IMO the only attribute that really motivates rapists is that they perceive that they have a vulnerable victim in a particular situation. Plenty of old people are raped. Plenty of "unattractive" people are raped. Plenty of short people are raped. Unfortunately nothing about physical attributes can save a victim from this motivation.

Please, all, let's return the focus to Kylen and Crystal.

From the linked article:
"Sean-Paul [Kylen's father] is still waiting for the Grand County Sheriff’s Office to come out with evidence—ballistics, DNA—that conclusively links Pinkusiewicz to the crime"
I've been waiting to read the report on the where, when, how Pinkusiewicz' body was found, ESPECIALLY the where.

If Sean-Paul is waiting for a report from Grand County, Utah, does that indicate that Pinkusiewicz body was found in Grand County, Utah and in the general part of Grand County where the crime took place?

If so, that would seem another indication that AP was, indeed, the perp.
He'd fantasized about murder, but the reality of what he'd done was more than his disordered mind could bear.

The most thorough coverage I have read about these women and their murders. It does have a point of view but excellent insight & details.

"Sean-Paul [Kylen's father] is still waiting for the Grand County Sheriff’s Office to come out with evidence—ballistics, DNA—that conclusively links Pinkusiewicz to the crime, but he believes Pinkusiewicz is likely the murderer. (As of press time, no further updates on the case have been released.)"

Thank you for posting this really good article. I had not caught up on this case in quite a while - I hope Sean-Paul will get resolution and closure soon.

I don't suspect the woman that found them. AP seems like a good suspect but sadly, there's no shortage of sickos out there, regardless of their motivations.

Please, all, let's return the focus to Kylen and Crystal.

From the linked article:

I've been waiting to read the report on the where, when, how Pinkusiewicz' body was found, ESPECIALLY the where.

If Sean-Paul is waiting for a report from Grand County, Utah, does that indicate that Pinkusiewicz body was found in Grand County, Utah and in the general part of Grand County where the crime took place?

If so, that would seem another indication that AP was, indeed, the perp.
He'd fantasized about murder, but the reality of what he'd done was more than his disordered mind could bear.

It was stated that he was found in another state and told someone he killed "two women in Utah"

Pinkusiewicz was originally one of many people identified as “persons of interest” in the case, but he left Utah shortly after the double homicide and later died by suicide, authorities said.

Officials recently received information that prior to his death, Pinkusiewicz had told someone that he had killed two women in Utah. He had also divulged “specific details” of the case that were only known to investigators, authorities said.

Gun shots heard that day at the camp site on Aug 14 at 11:48. They were able to see video surveillance of autos leaving the area which helped.AP.PNGAP 2.PNGAP 3.PNGAP 5.PNGAP 6.PNGAP 7.PNGAP Car.PNGCreepy Camper.PNG

Attachments

• ap 4.PNG
    ap 4.PNG
    164.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Never returned to work after the homicide, didn't answer homicide when trying to contact him, didn't pick up last check. Made derogatory comments to manager at McDonalds. Was told to leave.
Crystal didn't work with Adam. They only made contact when she would go in to make sandwiches for her and her wife. Suicide notes left. When he died, his property in the car was thrown away by the tow company. The family did get 3 phones. The bullets found in his car were also disposed of.
His family is cooperating. He was cremated after his suicide. Adam 11.PNGAdam 12.PNGAP 10.PNG

AP 9.PNGAP 10.PNGap 4.PNG

Last edited:
Adam purchased a gun in 2019, this same gun model was suspected to be the murder weapon.

McDonalds required masks to be worn, so Crystal would likely not have recognized Adam without a mask - especially since they didn't ever work the same shift together.

Adam deleted most of the content on the phones after the homicide and tried to encrypt the phone so that it wouldn't be able to be accessed. Notes talked about raping and killing other people. He also deleted his Google history just prior to his suicide.

Adam admitted to his significant other - A MALE!!! - that he had shot 2 women in Utah. So, when police found the SO, he knew why they were there.

He told his SO that he shot them IN THE TENT and then moved the bodies. LE had not released this information to the public, but it was known that the girls were shot and moved. The SO was afraid of Adam.

Days After.PNG

Last edited:
Here's a more direct link to today's press release and zoom.

Edit: I just tried the zoom link and the event is "at capacity" so we may have to wait a bit to see what was announced.

I didn't get to see all of it, but it seems like they had a decent amount of evidence. Its a shame the bullets, etc. were tossed and the car wasn't processed.

This may have been answered here, so excuse me if it has, but how does LE know that AP was the creepy person who stalked the women at their camp ground spot? The women had told others about the creepy camper guy, but didn't identify him as AP. However, it seems like the women knew AP. He had worked at the same fast food place, right? If he was the creepy camper guy, the women would have recognized him, right?

ETA: I'm now reading the comment above about wearing masks at work as a factor in Crystal not recognizing AP from work. Ok. I'm still not sure, though. The rest of the evidence is stronger, somewhat convincing. I realize that's the best they had to work with. He was staying under the radar and they wouldn't have known he had committed suicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue
Back