Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #17 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JUN 21, 2019
Friends and family search for missing U. student
A desperate search is underway for a 23-year-old Salt Lake City woman and University of Utah college student who suddenly vanished. In her last text to her mother she said she had arrived at the Salt Lake International Airport and was taking a Lyft car home.

THANK YOU. So her parents would have immediately told LE that she took a Lyft from the airport. LE would have contacted Lyft and asked about that ride from the airport.

Lyft would have cooperated fully because they do not want bad publicity or want it to seem like they were the guilty party here.

BBM - Saturday was June 22

JUN 21, 2019 Updated JUN 25
[...]

She then took a Lyft from the airport to an address in North Salt Lake City, the last place she was seen, police said in a statement released Saturday.

Police have talked to the ride-hailing service and to the driver who picked Lueck up at the airport.

The investigation “has not discovered any information that would lead us to believe that Mackenzie has been harmed or is in danger at this time,” police said.

[...]

JUN 24, 2019
Detectives revisit location where MacKenzie Lueck was last seen
[...]

It's been a week now and investigators are trying to make sure they are leaving no stone unturned in that area.

Salt Lake Police have only had the case since Friday.

Since she’s an adult and there’s no evidence of foul play, detectives are limited in what and where they can search -- in particular things like phone records, social media accounts and bank records.

[...]

As the case progresses, detectives will be better able to approach a judge to get search warrants for things like bank accounts, cell phone records and social media accounts.

[...]

MOO this sounds like a proposal for an alternative theory, that someone else had AA's phone at Hatch Park?

Interesting. Or AA maybe had a different car, or? There was a lot of discussion a while back regarding what type of car was used to meet ML when the Lyft arrived at Hatch Park. (Kia Optima, Altima, Camry.)

THANK YOU. So her parents would have immediately told LE that she took a Lyft from the airport. LE would have contacted Lyft and asked about that ride from the airport.

Lyft would have cooperated fully because they do not want bad publicity or want it to seem like they were the guilty party here.
Yes, LE talked to both the driver and Lyft by 6/21, possibly 6/20. Lyft put out their statement on 6/21. On 6/25 they started getting warrants. They did not find out about Lyft from her bank records or phone records because they didn't have them yet - they didn't even have warrants yet. I don't know why this is suddenly confusing...? MOO

After her family reported her missing, it was reported that her text to them said she had landed and was going to take a Lyft home. Soon after, Lyft issued a statement. MOO

Per KUTV News2 of 23 June 2019, report also cites SLCPD and Lueck family their source for ML taking Lyft:

According to the initial reports, Lueck was last heard from on June 17 when she texted her parents that her flight from California landed safely in Salt Lake City at 1 a.m. According to Lueck's family, she also planned to fly from Salt Lake to Los Angeles at some point on June 23. SLCPD and Lueck's family stated that she then took a Lyft to an address in North Salt Lake, where she was last seen in the early hours of Monday morning.

Search continues for missing 23-year-old U of U student Mackenzie Lueck

They may have found footage of her getting into the Lyft at the airport. As discussed, there are tons of cameras at airports. They may have been able to identify the car through its license plate, and never had to access any accounts to find the driver.

S
After her family reported her missing, it was reported that her text to them said she had landed and was going to take a Lyft home. Soon after, Lyft issued a statement. MOO

So when did her family report her missing before her employer and the school? I guess when family told LE about the Lyft info, they contacted Lyft? They didn't need a warrant for that info.

I just remember in the news reports there was a sense of urgency, and then, maybe not so much urgency.
Do I have that right or am I missing some things in the timeline.

I'm trying to match up info reported, to actions taken and warrants issued.
I thought she was reported at Hatch Park because of cell phone pings. But obviously not...I'm sure the Lyft driver told them that.
I think I'm just confusing myself..

She also may have simply said “just landed, going to take a Lyft home”. When she’d contact her parents in the transport from airport to home would depend on what they worry about.

My mom is more concerned my plane will crash than a taxi/ride share driver won’t deliver me safely. I text her when I land. Other people text their spouses/significant people once they get in and settled.

Interesting. Or AA maybe had a different car, or? There was a lot of discussion a while back regarding what type of car was used to meet ML when the Lyft arrived at Hatch Park. (Kia Optima, Altima, Camry.)

If there is an accomplice I would think they have attempted to evade being identified and to have left the area.

From what I can tell iMessages are stored on the cloud while text messages are stored on the phone when someone has an iPhone.

I was able to set up my Apple devices so my imessages flow through to all of them (even devices not turned on for weeks). This doesn’t happen with my iPhone’s texts. I can’t remember what happened to the text messages when my phone turned to a brick and Verizon needed to replace it and my sim though.

I think you can set up iCloud to back up or not back up. Who knows whether he tried any efforts to cover his tracks on texting that were sufficient ...

Service representatives wouldn't have access to an individual's data that is on a server. Gaining access to data on servers does require a court order. Once that court order is received, providers act fairly quickly.

JMO

You may be right but I've heard that the major cell companies respond to subpoenas by saying they only keep text messages on their servers long enough to make sure they have been transmitted. Otherwise, think how much time the companies would spend responding to subpoenas in divorces.

S

So when did her family report her missing before her employer and the school? I guess when family told LE about the Lyft info, they contacted Lyft? They didn't need a warrant for that info.

I just remember in the news reports there was a sense of urgency, and then, maybe not so much urgency.
Do I have that right or am I missing some things in the timeline.

I'm trying to match up info reported, to actions taken and warrants issued.
I thought she was reported at Hatch Park because of cell phone pings. But obviously not...I'm sure the Lyft driver told them that.
I think I'm just confusing myself..
She was reported missing on June 20 and LE was told she took a Lyft. LE spoke with the driver and Lyft, who put out a statement on 6/21. They did not have a warrant for her phone, her bank records or anything else because they had no probable cause. A search warrant for her phone was obtained on 6/25. MOO

Well, even bleeding in the brain is not necessarily immediately fatal. I take that phrase to mean that, left untreated (as it was), she would have succumbed to the injury if something else yet undiscovered did not kill her first. You know, like strangulation. Or a blow to some part of the body that isn't accounted for yet.

No, you should not assume her brain was inside her skull. Part of the skull was at his house, the rest was in Logan Canyon. In between her death and ending up in Logan Canyon, she was burned (apparently twice). Brains are pretty liquidy/delicate.

You could read it this way: someone dealt a death blow to Kenzie, by hitting her on the head. She could have been run over by a car after that and they don't know. But she would have died anyway.

What might be inside the skull are tell-tale signs of the degree of brain damage. This might require microscopic analysis that may or may not have been done at this point in time. What the coroner can confidently say is that she was dealt a death blow and obviously, did not receive medical treatment. She could have had multiple other soft tissue injuries that have now disappeared.

Thank you.

There was a delay in this case in getting the search warrants because they didn't have probable cause. They knew she took a Lyft to the park but they didn't have evidence as to whether or not she disappeared from there voluntarily. She's an adult and all that... Anyway, there was a huge sigh of relief on this thread when they finally announced they had obtained a warrant for her phone records. MOO

As soon as they had those phone records, we knew things were likely to move quickly.

They did.

It was all a matter of obtaining those warrants, which took some time.

I think you can set up iCloud to back up or not back up. Who knows whether he tried any efforts to cover his tracks on texting that were sufficient ...

You may be right but I've heard that the major cell companies respond to subpoenas by saying they only keep text messages on their servers long enough to make sure they have been transmitted. Otherwise, think how much time the companies would spend responding to subpoenas in divorces.
Law enforcement use a Court Order from a judge. It's required so the defense can't later accuse LE of a fishing expedition.

JMO

We know now she was missing for at least 4 days before she was reported missing to whomever. Valuable time lost retrospectively

AA's neighbors reported fires in his backyard that occurred on the 17th and 18th.

LE reported AA bought gas at on the 17th at 9:00 a.m. , 6 hours after ML arrived at Hatch Park.

LE has reported finding ML's charred tissue, bone, and hair in the burn pits in his back yard. ML was already dead. IMO she wouldn't have been found alive.

ETA punctuation for clarity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members