Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does she smoke marajuana?
I know many people smoke before bed, and if she did it wouldn’t be crazy to think she was meeting someone to smoke after a flight (can’t bring anything on the plane). Many people prefer to smoke in their car rather than where they live. If they were smoking in the parking lot or preparing to this may make sense. If she did, who did she buy from/anyone who she liked to smoke with?

Last edited:
Totally agree. It is so important to give someone in your life access to either your phone location via maps OR carrier login. My mom and sister have my AT&T account log in. It may seem crazy but we live in crazy times. If I go missing, there is no such thing as waiting for warrants to access my phone account. In an instant, they could see who I was communicating with. Phones go dead which means pinging to determination a location is only good for X amount of time. Can you imagine how much further this case would be if Kenzie's mom could log into whatever carrier she uses and see what #s she communicated with once she landed?
Welcome to Websleuths, @ksmith3271. :) Very good points. MOO

So interesting to hear from you all about the precautions you take. I’m definitely reevaluating how I function.

I tend to be more like ML seems to be. I don’t know if it’s because my profession I am very aware of crime and crime rates so I have a false sense of safety, or because I grew up in a large city (Chicago), or because I’m guarded but I don’t have near the precautions of many of you.

I have two social media accounts, one public and professional, the other private and personal. They don’t mix. I live alone and rarely let anyone know when I’m going somewhere, meeting up with someone, or even leaving town. I would freak out if anyone had access to my passwords or accounts (banking and otherwise). But I don’t know why I feel that way. I think I relate a bit to ML and part of why I operate how I do is that I don’t like burdening anyone with my life. Perhaps she felt the same?

All MOO

I don't believe they have her phone.

I believe they are trying to subpoena the records her phone carrier has. As she is not yet determined to be the victim of a crime, it may be a legal issue for LE to get someone's phone records without their permission if a crime has not been committed.

I see the First Amendment issues in this problem
This is what is so frustrating with that amendment. Most of the time, I am in agreement with it for obvious reasons.

Yet, when we have women and men going missing, and it's out of character for them to do this, it's frustrating that the First Amendment works against LE like this. Their hands are tied completely until the judge approves, which can cost precious time. Even when LE knows in their hearts that something sinister happened to the missing person, they have to wait for valuable information to come to them, before their next step in investigating.

It's a great amendment, but it was never meant for purposes like this, know what I mean? Yes, we all have a right to privacy and I wholeheartedly feel we deserve that right of protection of privacy. Yet times like this, I am sure LE is ready to pull their hair out, and most especially, loved ones and friends on the sideline, with the constant worry and fear on their shoulders, just waiting........

Ugh.

I believe I read she was to graduate soon? Would she be considered part time because that’s all the hours she had left? If not, why part time? Financial issues paying for full time?

I missed that, if they said they, surely it’s not more than one person in car? A couple? Maybe still keeping things close to vest until description is verified?

The part time distinction might be being made because of the amount of credits she's taking during the summer semester. Not many people take a full load of classes during the summer. That could be why it's part time. It depends on the amount of credits you're taking. Also, her classes are difficult due to her major and I have a lot of friends who take less than a "full time" load but their classes are difficult enough to be a full time load essentially.

Correct about always letting someone know where you're going to be @yellowmoose .
That's what they teach in safety classes and at foundations like Help Save The Next Girl. (In memory of Morgan Harrington.)
I have loyal friends who have all my passwords and personal info.
We all need to apply the buddy system at any age.
Chi
Post of the day. Post of the year! This is such an important habit to get into. Tell someone where you keep info that would be useful should you go missing or are in need of help - a place where info could be found fast if needed.

jmo

@CuriousBystander, please see:
MOD NOTE

The next member who refers to prostitution or "Johns" is going on a long TO or will be banned. Since quite a few members cannot follow simple rules and have now created a huge mess for the moderators to clean up, effective immediately, there is to be no more sugar daddy/sugar baby/sugar lifestyle talk.

Unless and until LE tells us that the sugar lifestyle has anything to do with Kenzie's disappearance, it's off limits for discussion.

I totally agree. I am beginning to wonder although if she was communicating with people via apps like Kik or WhatsApp or something that would not show a number on her actual phone records. I have a lot of friends who do this. I don't know anything about the whole warrant process, but if this is the case I'm hoping they can access those too.

Yep, thought about that also. I think, based on cases I've followed in the past, a warrant / permissions is needed from each app. So, say they wanted to access Instagram messages, they would need a warrant issued to IG and so on. All that to say, if she was communicating with whoever she met outside of text or calls, it would not show up on AT&T, Verizon, etc.

In the PC yesterday they mentioned that some warrants had been executed. Assuming those were for phone records. I did some research on Utah laws and it sounds like they can’t even get cell phone ping information without a warrant. I’m certainly no expert on the subject, so hopefully someone else will weigh in.
There's been a real emphasis by LE that there is no evidence that ML has been harmed, or that she is not voluntarily out of contact with family and friends.

Police made an appeal to ML to contact authorities. If LE does not hear from ML after all the media attention, I believe this will give them the ammunition necessary to secure warrants for her phone and sm accounts.

Respecting ML's privacy left LE in not so great a position. Hoping for release of more info in today's presser...

MOO

Yep, thought about that also. I think, based on cases I've followed in the past, a warrant / permissions is needed from each app. So, say they wanted to access Instagram messages, they would need a warrant issued to IG and so on. All that to say, if she was communicating with whoever she met outside of text or calls, it would not show up on AT&T, Verizon, etc.

I agree with this- this is how the system works.

BUT from what we heard a few days ago, someone (friends I think?) had access to her Facebook/Instagram (at least one of her IGs) because they said activity on it was not her but from her friends. If that’s is the case these avenues private messages should already have been looked it unofficially at the very least and reported to LE.

I’m guessing LE has that info already and are looking either for a specific person OR for a warrant to gain information from a social networking site about who ANOTHER user is.

Thinking about the 3am meet-up...

We know what time her flight actually landed, but do we know what time it was scheduled to arrive? And who the carrier was? I’m wondering if the meet-up only became necessary because they had someplace else they wanted/needed to be at a certain time. Meeting at some mid-point could be the easiest way to get back on schedule.

If the flight was at all late there’s likely to be electronic communications between ML and the POI regarding that. But it’s also possible that the 3am time was pre-arranged and that’s why she spent as much time at the airport as she did after arriving.

In fact, I would expect that since she texted her parents that she had landed that there is a similar text to the POI immediately before or after. Phone records will tell all. Even if there is a second phone it can probably be identified by proximity, especially at that hour in the airport.

I know she missed one or more midterm exams and her flight back to LA

Do we know why she was returning to LA? Was her semester over and she was planning to back for the summer?

Was she meeting someone that night/morning because she was leaving for a while and wouldn't be back until fall?

Thinking about the 3am meet-up...

We know what time her flight actually landed, but do we know what time it was scheduled to arrive? And who the carrier was? I’m wondering if the meet-up only became necessary because they had someplace else they wanted/needed to be at a certain time. Meeting at some mid-point could be the easiest way to get back on schedule.

If the flight was at all late there’s likely to be electronic communications between ML and the POI regarding that. But it’s also possible that the 3am time was pre-arranged and that’s why she spent as much time at the airport as she did after arriving.

In fact, I would expect that since she texted her parents that she had landed that there is a similar text to the POI immediately before or after. Phone records will tell all. Even if there is a second phone it can probably be identified by proximity, especially at that hour in the airport.

Southwest Airlines flight from LAX

It was half an hour late

So interesting to hear from you all about the precautions you take. I’m definitely reevaluating how I function.

I tend to be more like ML seems to be. I don’t know if it’s because my profession I am very aware of crime and crime rates so I have a false sense of safety, or because I grew up in a large city (Chicago), or because I’m guarded but I don’t have near the precautions of many of you.

I have two social media accounts, one public and professional, the other private and personal. They don’t mix. I live alone and rarely let anyone know when I’m going somewhere, meeting up with someone, or even leaving town. I would freak out if anyone had access to my passwords or accounts (banking and otherwise). But I don’t know why I feel that way. I think I relate a bit to ML and part of why I operate how I do is that I don’t like burdening anyone with my life. Perhaps she felt the same?

All MOO

I haven't always been precautions and have done plenty of risky things that no one has and will never know about ;) (LOL) And I totally understand about not wanting anyone to have access to your accounts which, in part, is why phone carrier is what me, mom and sis chose to share. Outside of phone numbers, there is nothing to "troll" ... you can't read the read the actual texts only see who a text or call was to. So, unlike emails and bank accounts, what fun is that to look at? It's truly only useful for emergencies :D

Okay—what conclusions can be drawn? Leggings can be sexy, but “Black leggings, white t-shirt (peace sign on shirt)” sounds to me more like comfy wear for a pajama party, than a hot date. Am I wrong? I’m fairly unknowledgeable on the current styles of the young.

So it turns me toward visualizing her meeting someone of her generation that she has a comfortable relationship with. Maybe even a platonic relationship that he doesn’t want to be platonic. “Let’s meet up at the park and talk.” And then things somehow go wrong.

All this is entirely my speculation and might well be completely wrong.

I thought the same thing. I know most college students are casual dressers, but that sounds more like she was going to do yoga than going on a fancy date. Assuming this was a date of some sort, where would she be excited to go at 3 in the morning that would call for comfy clothing such as leggings and a tee shirt? Could she be going hiking somewhere remote to watch the sunrise? Google says the sunrise for the SLC area on June 17 was at 5:56 AM. Or perhaps she was taking a drive a couple hours away for an outdoor activity. Could she have planned on taking a private plane with someone from a smaller airport? There is Skypark Airport not far from NSL: https://www.skyparkutah.com/
Or maybe this was not a date as many have been assuming. Maybe she was meeting someone to do yoga/workout or to study for her upcoming exam?
Tee shirt and leggings just makes me think either she was told to wear comfortable clothing or she was planning to hang out very casually, perhaps with a friend, not a date.
MOO.

There's been a real emphasis by LE that there is no evidence that ML has been harmed, or that she is not voluntarily out of contact with family and friends.

Police made an appeal to ML to contact authorities. If LE does not hear from ML after all the media attention, I believe this will give them the ammunition necessary to secure warrants for her phone and sm accounts.

Respecting ML's privacy left LE in not so great a position. Hoping for release of more info in today's presser...

MOO
I am hoping that they confirm male/female of the person she met at the park, his/her description, a vehicle description, release the airport surveillance video, and clear up whether or not there has been any contact by police with LM in the past - vpo's, etc. MOO

I know she missed one or more midterm exams and her flight back to LA

Do we know why she was returning to LA? Was her semester over and she was planning to back for the summer?

Was she meeting someone that night/morning because she was leaving for a while and wouldn't be back until fall?

I might be getting my events mixed but I believe there was some wedding or event she was supposed to attend back in LA. I don't think she was leaving for awhile. She does have a job and I don't think they would be allowing her to take extensive time off.

I totally agree. I am beginning to wonder although if she was communicating with people via apps like Kik or WhatsApp or something that would not show a number on her actual phone records. I have a lot of friends who do this. I don't know anything about the whole warrant process, but if this is the case I'm hoping they can access those too.
There are very few forms of social media the FBI is unable to access every single word said these days. If you type it in anything on Google play or the Apple app store they can get a record of it.

I agree with this- this is how the system works.

BUT from what we heard a few days ago, someone (friends I think?) had access to her Facebook/Instagram (at least one of her IGs) because they said activity on it was not her but from her friends. If that’s is the case these avenues private messages should already have been looked it unofficially at the very least and reported to LE.

I’m guessing LE has that info already and are looking either for a specific person OR for a warrant to gain information from a social networking site about who ANOTHER user is.
Also:

Missing University of Utah student last seen in a park with unknown person at 3 a.m.
A spokesperson for Lueck's family tells CBS News that a major part of the police investigation is Lueck's dating life and her use of dating apps. Investigators are exploring whether she had any secret social media accounts or an alternative cellphone.

I thought the same thing. I know most college students are casual dressers, but that sounds more like she was going to do yoga than going on a fancy date. Assuming this was a date of some sort, where would she be excited to go at 3 in the morning that would call for comfy clothing such as leggings and a tee shirt? Could she be going hiking somewhere remote to watch the sunrise? Google says the sunrise for the SLC area on June 17 was at 5:56 AM. Or perhaps she was taking a drive a couple hours away for an outdoor activity. Could she have planned on taking a private plane with someone from a smaller airport? There is Skypark Airport not far from NSL: https://www.skyparkutah.com/
Or maybe this was not a date as many have been assuming. Maybe she was meeting someone to do yoga/workout or to study for her upcoming exam?
Tee shirt and leggings just makes me think either she was told to wear comfortable clothing or she was planning to hang out very casually, perhaps with a friend, not a date.
MOO.

Absolutely agree. I am Kenzie's age and leggings and a t-shirt to me do not indicate I am going to see someone I am romantically interested in UNLESS I am really comfortable with them and I don't feel the need to get dressed up. Kenzie was into fashion and had lots of cute clothes so this seems very underwhelming if this was a new love interest. Although there has been speculation that maybe she changed at the airport? So maybe it's not the outfit she left the airport in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela