UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if this could be political,like religiously political,you know what I mean?I can't believe he wasn't arrested already,either.
Ed Smart was in an interview with one of the fathers this week,so I guess representing the religious group they're in.Just saying.

Ed Smart has not faded away, that is for sure. He speaks out about missing persons and abductions a lot here in Salt Lake, so I was not shocked to see him with Susan's father. They do belong to the same church... but I am thinking even if Susan was not LDS Ed would still be supporting the family in some way. I have my opinions of Ed Smart - but when it comes to this sort of thing I do not think he cares about religion, economic status or any of that other stuff. Or, I guess I should say I would certainly hope not.

Passionflower, from the article you linked above in post #568, the article is now stating:

"Powell's attorney, Scott C. Williams, said Joshua brought the couple's two children, Charlie, 4, and Braden, 2, with him on the trip."

Unless you were asking specifically where the boys are right now!

Oh no!!!! Now I feel ill.....

It really upsets me that LE wasn't keeping closer tabs on Joshua Powell. At the very least, I'd expect the customary "Don't leave town without notifying us" speech and a GPS unit attached to his vehicle. Maybe I watch too many crime dramas. But I feel a little common sense goes a long way in these investigations.

McLachlan says "I don't know" about a number of things, e.g., he didn't know if an ALS or Luminol had been used on "the wet spot"....I think he just says that instead of "we're not going to comment on that at this time".

But still - what diff would it make if he let the public know if Josh took them?

Evil can run in families...........

yathink... I don't even need to get all psychologically deep like Vaknin, or spiritually deep about generational sin citing from the brilliant likes of Dr. Peck, I mean everybody's heard the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, or chip off the old block, right... :rolleyes:

:parrot:

Just fwiw, regarding entry into Canada from the U.S. From what I can gather, because it now requires a passport to cross the Canadian border for entry into the U.S., the Canadian's have changed their rules about letting U.S. citizens entering without a passport, as has been done in years past.

A U.S. citizen cannot enter Canada unless they have the proper documentation to re-enter the U.S. So, IMHO, unless the children have passports, he can't flee with them to Canada. Or him either, for that matter.

There are ways to apply for a quick passport online, but I believe it may not work for the kids. From what I've seen, under 16 needs to apply in person. If they don't have both parents present, there's more detail to go into. There's been too many international parental kidnapping issues.

HTH,
fran

Hi Fran,

My concern about crossing the border is that there are MANY places it can be done with no checkpoint and no security. I've known people who have done this. That's what I'm worried about.

FWIW, Susan's parents need to file an emergency order! ASAP!

They can have a judge draw up emergency, temporary custody papers and they could get custody of the kids by tomorrow afternoon.

For all we know, maybe Josh's parents will do it on Monday.

Desparate men do desparate things...........wonder if anyone gave him a gun?
That just popped up in my head............

This concerns me as well. It was scary to know he was staying at his brother-in-law's home with the kids under the circumstances, but there were, at least presumably, other people around to supervise what was happening and to hopefully prevent any harm from coming to his children.

Now, he's presumably on his own with them. Even if they are being tracked or followed, what's to prevent him from doing something drastic? He wouldn't necessarily need a gun, unfortunately.

Is it just me or does anyone else detect a theme in this family... I mean hellooo, his DIL, the mother of his grandsons, is MISSING... and he's more concerned w not only how this is affecting his son's image but how it may reflect upon HIM!? I'm sorry but I just can not ever imagine this being foremost in my mind, geez... :rolleyes:

Evil runs in families according to M. Scott Peck, MD in the book People of the Lie. I believe Josh's dad has been an enabler for Josh and his behavior all his life.... I wonder what the circumstances were between Josh's mom and dad and their divorce..

It really upsets me that LE wasn't keeping closer tabs on Joshua Powell. At the very least, I'd expect the customary "Don't leave town without notifying us" speech and a GPS unit attached to his vehicle. Maybe I watch too many crime dramas. But I feel a little common sense goes a long way in these investigations.

Josh doesn't have to notify the police of anything.

What we don't know is if LE put a GPS system in the van. The way I look at it, if I could think of it, then they did it already.

Sometimes the police indicate they aren't aware when actually they already know.

ummm - if Josh is so overwhelmed that he can barely tie his shoelaces, WTH is he doing running off w/ the kids? did he just recover from being so overwhelmed?

And what about waiting for Susan to come home? I know he mumbled "I love her" in one of the tv news interviews but it's starting to look as tho he loved her like he'd love a favorite pair of socks.

I have a feeling that tv news & LE will keep him under the microscope in Puyallup -- and he's not going to feel less pressure.

To me it seems so wrong to allow any Person of Interest in a crime have no restriction on their movements. Sorry if that infringes on anybody's rights, but to become a POI in a crime means you are being looked at closely. You should not be allowed to run away or go on trips with motorcycles or rental cars when your own wife is missing. Am I the only one that is shocked that this is allowed?

Not to mention, Josh may have run off with the two little boys. He is probably reaching a desperate state and I pray the boys are not with him.

There's a prayer vigil, but guess Josh is too busy running away. Says alot about him, doesn't it? He'd be there for Susan's family and offer anything he could to find her if he was truly innocent and wasn't always just thinking about himself. What's that sniveling all about, Josh?

Originally Posted by fran:

"FWIW, Susan's parents need to file an emergency order! ASAP!

They can have a judge draw up emergency, temporary custody papers and they could get custody of the kids by tomorrow afternoon."

For all we know, maybe Josh's parents will do it on Monday.

Let's hope they instinctively (or otherwise) know to do this, and that it's not too late.

...Not to mention, Josh may have run off with the two little boys. He is probably reaching a desperate state and I pray the boys are not with him...

(snipped for space) Unfortunately, his attorney has stated that the boys are with him, as per an article referenced above by Passionflower (post #569).

Evil runs in families according to M. Scott Peck, MD in the book People of the Lie. I believe Josh's dad has been an enabler for Josh and his behavior all his life.... I wonder what the circumstances were between Josh's mom and dad and their divorce..

Yes I am well aware of this ogal... even before this thread... lol could have written the book if Peck and Vaknin didn't beat me to it....... ;) My point was that even those who may not be familiar w or believe in generational sin can relate to apples or chips off the block. You're preachin to the choir.
:)

**Shivers***

Joshua Powell is less than twelve miles from me right now. That is, if he hasn't run. This makes my blood boil. Luckily for us they're in South Hill...I don't shop or run errands there often so I don't think it's likely I'll find myself face to face with the mumbling, murdering mouth-breather.

Vomit...

"The father of Joshua Powell said Sunday he believes his son is being "villified" as questions swirl around the disappearance of his daughter-in-law, Susan Powell, who has now been missing for 14 days.

"The whole thing has just turned into a vilification of Josh and it will turn into a vilification of me, my ex-wife and my other kids," said Steven Powell, who spoke to The Salt Lake Tribune briefly through the partially open front door of his home Sunday.
"I'm not making any statement because it doesn't matter how benign it is or how supportive it is. Somebody will twist it around."

It's unclear whether Joshua Powell was at his father's home Sunday."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14037897

well, at least we know where josh gets his behavioral issues from...im sorry but i dont give a rats behind about jp's dad and ex-step mother! i mean GET REAL!

ummm - if Josh is so overwhelmed that he can barely tie his shoelaces, WTH is he doing running off w/ the kids? did he just recover from being so overwhelmed?

And what about waiting for Susan to come home? I know he mumbled "I love her" in one of the tv news interviews but it's starting to look as tho he loved her like he'd love a favorite pair of socks.

I have a feeling that tv news & LE will keep him under the microscope in Puyallup -- and he's not going to feel less pressure.

Well if he wanted to go to a vigil (yea right :rolleyes:) he didn't have to come HERE to WA :snooty: when there was one right there in West Valley...

Do we know for certain he is in Puyallup... I've been asking, is this where his family is from as well?

He has the two little boys with him. Oh no! Please say a prayer and light a candle, not only for Susan, but for her loving family and the safety of her two young sons.

While I do agree that you must have a passport to enter Canada, you do not need to apply in person if under the age of 16. (unless this has changed in the last year). Just applied for my daughter's passport with signature of only one parent (me), as Dad is not in the picture. No extra paperwork, nothing. The country we were visiting was Ireland which is further away than our neighbor, Canada.

Did you have to show a bc without 'father' indicated? or did you have to submit court order where you have sole custody? I was going by this website.
I could be wrong.

fran

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16

Minors under age 16 must apply in person
All children regardless of age, including newborns and infants, must have their own passport

There are special requirements for All Minors Ages 16 & 17

Read and understand Steps 1 - 7 before leaving this page.

STEP 1: Complete and Submit Form DS-11: Application For A U.S. Passport

Complete Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport. To submit Form DS-11, the minor:

Must apply in person with both parents/guardian(s)
Must provide the additional documentation required by Form DS-11 (See Steps 2-7)
Must not sign the application until instructed to do so by the Acceptance Agent
Must provide your SSN in accordance with 26 U.S.C. 6039E
STEP 2: Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

The minor's evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with Form DS-11. All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you. These documents will be delivered with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.

Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):
Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*
Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
Naturalization Certificate
Certificate of Citizenship

*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.

NOTE: If you do not have primary evidence of U.S. citizenship or your U.S. birth certificate does not meet the requirements, please see Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship.

STEP 3: Submit Evidence of Relationship

Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant.
Evidence of Relationship (One of the following):
Minor's certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents' names
Minor's certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents' names*
Minor's Report of Birth Abroad with both parents' names
Adoption Decree with adopting parents' names*
Court Order establishing custody
Court Order establishing guardianship

*All foreign documents submitted with a passport application must be accompanied by an English translation (formal or informal).

NOTES:

Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as evidence of relationship
Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted, if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.)
STEP 4: Present Identification of Parent(s)/Guardian(s)

When applying for a minor under age 16, both parent(s)/guardian(s) must present acceptable identification at the time of application.

Primary Identification (One of the following):
Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport
Naturalization Certificate
Valid Driver's License
Current Government Employee ID (city, state or federal)
Current Military ID (military and dependents)

NOTE: If none of these items are available, please see Secondary Identification.

STEP 5: Submit a Photocopy of Each Parent/Guardian ID Document To Be Presented (STEP 4)

A photocopy of each identification document to be presented by a parent or guardian must be submitted with the minor's passport application. If you are applying for multiple minors at one time, you must include a photocopy of each parent/guardian ID document presented with each minor's individual passport application.

Photocopy must be on plain white, 8 1/2 x 11" standard paper stock, showing the front and the back of your ID
Photocopy must contain images on only one-side of each page submitted.
If copies cannot be made on the same side of one page, you may present two separate pages; one displaying the front of the ID and the second displaying the back of the ID.
The paper should be free of other images and/or markings.
The 8 1/2 x 11" paper size cannot be substituted with a larger or smaller size paper, even if the alternative folds down to the 8 1/2 x 11" size.
You may enlarge the image of your ID on the 8 1/2 x 11" page, but you may not decrease the size of the image.
Other situations that require a photocopy of identification, but are less common, include:

If you are presenting Secondary Identification, you must provide a photocopy each document being presented with your application
An assistant to a disable applicant who witnesses the signature or signs on the disabled customer's behalf must present a photocopy of his or her ID
A person acting as an Identifying Witness (Form DS-71) must present a photocopy of his or her ID
STEP 6: Provide Parental Consent

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

Both Parents MUST:

Appear in person with the minor
Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

One Parent MUST:

Submit the second parents' notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)

One Parent
(with sole legal custody)
MUST:

Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)
Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child
Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
Death certificate of non-applying parent
NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

A Third Party
(in Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16)
MUST:
Submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport
When the statement of affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The written consent from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a new passport must be less than 3 months old. New written consent from the non-applying parent must be obtained and submitted with any future passport application for the minor under age 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabrinalyyn