UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just fwiw, regarding entry into Canada from the U.S. From what I can gather, because it now requires a passport to cross the Canadian border for entry into the U.S., the Canadian's have changed their rules about letting U.S. citizens entering without a passport, as has been done in years past.

A U.S. citizen cannot enter Canada unless they have the proper documentation to re-enter the U.S. So, IMHO, unless the children have passports, he can't flee with them to Canada. Or him either, for that matter.

There are ways to apply for a quick passport online, but I believe it may not work for the kids. From what I've seen, under 16 needs to apply in person. If they don't have both parents present, there's more detail to go into. There's been too many international parental kidnapping issues.

HTH,
fran

But Josh could cross the border illegally, couldn't he? There are places where he could do so, IMO.

Just fwiw, regarding entry into Canada from the U.S. From what I can gather, because it now requires a passport to cross the Canadian border for entry into the U.S., the Canadian's have changed their rules about letting U.S. citizens entering without a passport, as has been done in years past.

A U.S. citizen cannot enter Canada unless they have the proper documentation to re-enter the U.S. So, IMHO, unless the children have passports, he can't flee with them to Canada. Or him either, for that matter.

There are ways to apply for a quick passport online, but I believe it may not work for the kids. From what I've seen, under 16 needs to apply in person. If they don't have both parents present, there's more detail to go into. There's been too many international parental kidnapping issues.

HTH,
fran

While I do agree that you must have a passport to enter Canada, you do not need to apply in person if under the age of 16. (unless this has changed in the last year). Just applied for my daughter's passport with signature of only one parent (me), as Dad is not in the picture. No extra paperwork, nothing. The country we were visiting was Ireland which is further away than our neighbor, Canada.

I really hope the Utah LE orders Josh arrested as a material witness. It's so easy to slip into Canada here. I'm disgusted. This killer is somewhere near me, my children, my family. UHG!

Perhaps I need to start traveling with eggs and rotten tomatoes!

Gee Josh, your own family saying you'll probably be behind bars in a week, and you leave, hmmm. I guess you know that Susan isn't coming home, don't you?

Where are Susan's sons?!

I didn't think of him running for the Canadian border.

darn!

:banghead:

fran

It's a hop, skip and a jump (app. 2 hours) from Seattle or Bellingham WA eg, or from Port Angeles eg just a ferry ride to Victoria CA... not a comforting thought at all. :mad: Is JP's family in the Pullayup area as well?

Emergency injunction for temporary custody for sure!

:parrot:

IMO, Josh's Dad seems angry enough about the public opinion of Josh that I could see him helping him get out of the country. If he is already this angry about what is thought of Josh, he would think he couldn't get a fair trial. There has already been talk predicting an arrest soon.

So, yes, I can see his Dad helping him get out of the country.

MOO

bet he gave him money!

Darn, he should of been arrested already!
Now this.........I'm so angry!
He should of been on 24/7 watch!
Now look at the tax dollars and maybe more lives to risk.
FRAN, please add to your list, he fled!!!!

You're kidding me,he left with the boys???LE wasn't watching a POI?They don't know if this guy killed his wife and now he's running around with children,he could be suicidal.What kind of family does he have anyway?Even if they feel he isn't quilty or they're protecting him,they should at least care enough about thier grandchildren.I can't believe they'd take a chance with thier lives,he might be quilty.What is wrong with people?

Vomit...

"The father of Joshua Powell said Sunday he believes his son is being "villified" as questions swirl around the disappearance of his daughter-in-law, Susan Powell, who has now been missing for 14 days.

"The whole thing has just turned into a vilification of Josh and it will turn into a vilification of me, my ex-wife and my other kids," said Steven Powell, who spoke to The Salt Lake Tribune briefly through the partially open front door of his home Sunday.
"I'm not making any statement because it doesn't matter how benign it is or how supportive it is. Somebody will twist it around."

It's unclear whether Joshua Powell was at his father's home Sunday."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14037897

Is it just me or does anyone else detect a theme in this family... I mean hellooo, his DIL, the mother of his grandsons, is MISSING... and he's more concerned w not only how this is affecting his son's image but how it may reflect upon HIM!? I'm sorry but I just can not ever imagine this being foremost in my mind, geez... :rolleyes:

FRAN ARE YOU ADDING TO LIST???
Can you add Tim Peterson interview, the blue cap odd ways, sister Jennifer 'ODD',
Susan's parents bought and paid monthly for her cell phone to contact them if things got worse, her diary (journal) stating many threats from Josh, JP leaving for 24 hours after he rented a car, LE had van for 3 days???

Thanks!!!!

bump for FRAN!!!!

<snip>

West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said he did not know if Joshua Powell took his two sons. McLachlan said police learned of Joshua Powell's travels from his neighbors, who told police he left Friday or Saturday.

McLachlan did not know whether Joshua Powell was making a holiday visit or will be gone longer.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14037897

It really upsets me that LE wasn't keeping closer tabs on Joshua Powell. At the very least, I'd expect the customary "Don't leave town without notifying us" speech and a GPS unit attached to his vehicle. Maybe I watch too many crime dramas. But I feel a little common sense goes a long way in these investigations.

IIRC, it was stated somewhere that Josh was/is an IT person for a trucking company. I think it was stated that the job at the trucking company was where he was supposed to have been at work at on Monday morning when neither he nor Susan called in missing work.

If Josh was an IT person for a trucking company, he would know all about the tracking devices almost all commercial trucks have on them. He would know that at any given moment, the trucks can be tracked as to the progress. They would know exactly where the truck is, what highway, and whether or not the truck was even running. On a computer screen, you will see a map image and a red spot as to where the truck is. The jail/correctional facility used such a program to track all transportation vans. IMO, he would probably be very aware of the fact that most car rental agencies can do the same. I read an article in the New York Times about most car rental companies being able to know exactly where any of their cars are and even whether or not they had been driven out of state. The article gave an example of a guy having been fined for having driven out of state to a wedding when he had rented the car for local use. The article was written a couple of years ago. So, If Josh knows about tracking devices, he probably would have known that the rental car company may have had this same capability. So, a wild goose chase in the rental vehicle to throw LE off? Maybe.

I have a couple of questions for anyone who may know. Apparently a neighbor heard a car alarm going off in the Powell's garage at or around midnight that Sunday night. One question I have is: Even if the van alarm itself is is off as it would be if someone unlocked the vehicle with a key, would the GPS system have an independent alarm if someone were removing it from the vehicle? If the GPS system was not factory installed, it could have an independent alarm if someone were attempting to remove it. Another question: If the van were equiped with a LoJack, would an alarm go off if someone attempted to remove it? What else would make the van alarm go off when we know Josh had his keys? I can make my vehicle alarm go off using my remote key fob. It may be just as simple as the 4 year old playing with the key fob, but IDK.

Oh geese! I totally forgot about this IT stuff in the hands of a 'controlling' spouse. We saw this carp before in the Nancy Cooper case. He had special equipment to monitor her phone calls at work. :(

I wonder if it was Josh removing a gps tracking etc that caused the alarm to go off late that night? THIS is a very intersting scenario?

Oh, my goodness! I thought of something!

In the Nancy Cooper case, Brad denied having her phone calls monitored. He even gave an under-oath statement to this fact. At the time, I said I believed he was lying. Nancy's friends said Nancy believed he was listening to her calls and then sometimes they had unexplained hang-ups. She even got a second cell phone he didn't know about, IIRC? .......Anyway, his expertise was VoIP............(fwiw, he lied about other things under oath as well).....

As Cooper was specially certified in VoIP, he had ways to make things work that some people didn't necessarily know about, IMHO. He did at one time remove the phones he initially installed at his home. But I believe he had other devices set up and then tried to or did remove them. LE SW his POE and confiscated a couple of his computers at work. Still waiting until trial to see just how MUCH he was lying.

I don't believe Josh is as savvy on IT as Brad Cooper, but he may be more than the average person and he may have been tracking Susan 'other ways.' LE needs to go to his work and look at any computers he had access to!

JMHO
fran

It is very easy to cross the US/Canada border illegally. I live on the border and see it done every day, even though we have a very well guarded border crossing here. There are thousands of unsecured miles where one can cross.:twocents:

Is it just me or does anyone else detect a theme in this family... I mean hellooo, his DIL, the mother of his grandsons, is MISSING... and he's more concerned w not only how this is affecting his son's image but how it may reflect upon HIM!? I'm sorry but I just can not ever imagine this being foremost in my mind, geez... :rolleyes:

Evil can run in families...........

What is he driving the van?
any All points bulletin out for him?
Now how do LE think they will arrest him?

Where are Susan's sons?!

Passionflower, from the article you linked above in post #569, the article is now stating:

"Powell's attorney, Scott C. Williams, said Joshua brought the couple's two children, Charlie, 4, and Braden, 2, with him on the trip."

Unless you were asking specifically where the boys are right now!

Desparate men do desparate things...........wonder if anyone gave him a gun?
That just popped up in my head............

It really upsets me that LE wasn't keeping closer tabs on Joshua Powell. At the very least, I'd expect the customary "Don't leave town without notifying us" speech and a GPS unit attached to his vehicle. Maybe I watch too many crime dramas. But I feel a little common sense goes a long way in these investigations.

I'm not going to sell this LE agency short just yet.

Have faith!

;)
fran

Hmmmm - Joshy's daddy sounds like Cindy Anthony, don't ya think?

(and I wonder why he & his ex-wife are divorced --- because there could be a history of controlling men in the family...JMOOOC!!!)

fran, I hope Josh's work computer has been looked at just as you do. He may have been able to delete some data, but we know it can be recovered.

Yes, shades of Brad Cooper and Scott Peterson as well.

Brad Cooper was a controlling just as Josh is. Now Josh has decided to leave the state without telling LE first. LE had to learn it from the neighbors.

Josh needs to be arrested before Christmas. Chris Coleman was arrested at his parents house - I hope Josh is also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery