UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...Josh-Powell-pack-for-move-from-Utah.html?pg=2

Kiirsi Hellewell said the next step will be a fundraiser but said she didn't know what it would be or where the funds would go.

I wonder what the funds will be for, to help him since he doesn't have a job?

Oh Lord here we go, here we go..... Maybe a collection will help refresh Josh's memory... :rolleyes:

"He can't afford the house, and he's got to get the stuff out before the bank gets to it," John Hellewell said. Neighbors said Josh Powell told them he'd like to finish the basement before renting or selling the house.

Friend and neighbor Ron Stagg said the decision Josh Powell has made to move in the midst of an ongoing search for Susan Powell is his to make.

"No matter who's responsible for Susan's disappearance, Josh is still suffering," he said. :boohoo:

Meantime, the Hellewells and others are trying to keep Susan Powell's face and name in the public. Michelle Oreno, a member of the Powells' LDS ward who met the couple when they moved to Utah five years ago, organized a group of women to tie lavender ribbons for lapel pins. They said lavender is one of Susan Powell's favorite colors.

Oreno said that they had assembled about 300 pins and were planning to give them to "anybody who wants one."

Funny in the same deseret article I posted brother-in-law Kirk Graves is also quoted as denying there's any financial reason for the move, insisting house payments are current and up to date. As for lavendar lapel ribbons I get the sentiment, but as others have suggested, at this stage--if anything--it might be more effective to keep JOSH's face, name and vehicle in the public.

:parrot:

Being with Josh's father is not a good thing for those children. The man obviously has a history of controling his adult children to the point that they abandon their spouses and move back in with him. I shudder to think what manipulation he must have used in order to get rid of his wife; the mother of his children, yet the kids stayed with him...even into adulthood!

Josh's sister seems to be the only member of that family who isn't willing and eager to help encourage Josh to hinder the search for Susan with his refusal to help LE.

I wish I had access to some of the subscritpion search engines so I could learn more of Josh's father's history. Unless he is so intimidating that no one has bothered to make official reports, there has to be some history of abusive behavior.

If those poor boys get stuck living with Josh's father or any of the siblings who are still under his control, I fear he will infect them with his woman-hating, manipulative/controlling/ emotionally abusive lifestyle. It is a generational curse!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

May I ask a question here, as I find myself confused? Did Josh's mom disappear when he and his siblings were young? Does anyone know that story?

I had read elsewhere that his mom lives in Utah close to where he lived with Susan, so is this woman a step-parent? A divorced steparent, if she is in Utah and Josh's father is in WA state?

TY!

May I ask a question here, as I find myself confused? Did Josh's mom disappear when he and his siblings were young? Does anyone know that story?

I had read elsewhere that his mom lives in Utah close to where he lived with Susan, so is this woman a step-parent? A divorced steparent, if she is in Utah and Josh's father is in WA state?

TY!

There was a long contentious divorce. She is his mother.

OKand3Js-
I'm glad you're here and posting! Here's my 2 cents on your dilemma:

I'd like to see you post your observations. Yours is a unique perspective. Unless he confessed to you, or packed up a bloody knife or something, I don't see the harm in posting your perceptions of Josh during the move. Even if he eventually discovers your true feelings of being suspicious of him, or even your postings here, I doubt it's going to matter whether your ability to slueth around him in the future is hindered. With him moving, there won't be too many more of those anyway, right?

If there was something shared, or something seen or something overheard that is outside of just "your perspective", then that's something different altogether. Have you called a detective on the case to get a feel for how significant your "findings" of that day are? You could actually find yourself on a witness list. IMO opinion, Josh is going to find out your true feelings/intentions one way or the other. Keep your eyes focused on Susan.

I could be TOTALLY off-base here, but I kindof get the feeling that there's a part of you that feels ashamed for masking as a friend of Josh. Not that you feel sorry for him, but that you may feel bad that you've catagorized youreself as someone you're not.
Even if it was to find the truth for Susan, it's not easy to lie and deceive when it's against our character to do so. If so, this could be contributing to your reluctance to post.

I don't envy your position. :)

May I ask another question? I'm overwhelmed by the amount of reading in this case. Is Josh a LDS as well? Are they the same as the Mormons? Broke off from them? At first I thought both were of different religions (one a jehovah's witness and the other a Mormon) but now I'm confused. I seem to hear a lot about her church background but none of his. Did he 'convert' to LDSD and then wane away from it? Does anyone know?

TY!

I can answer part of that. There was an ugly protracted embittered battle when his parents divorced---waged in the courts from 1992 clear through 2003--and which included restraining orders. Not pretty. JMHO

There was a long contentious divorce. She is his mother.

~~~~~~~~~~

TY! Just trying to udnerstand the statement about him 'manipulating to get rid of her yet the kids still standing by him, even into adulthood.' Is there any information about this divorce of his? Has anyone uncovered anything?

May I ask another question? I'm overwhelmed by the amount of reading in this case. Is Josh a LDS as well? Are they the same as the Mormons? Broke off from them? At first I thought both were of different religions (one a jehovah's witness and the other a Mormon) but now I'm confused. I seem to hear a lot about her church background but none of his. Did he 'convert' to LDSD and then wane away from it? Does anyone know?

TY!

LDS are Mormons and not a break off. Josh is LDS and so was Susan. They met at a church function. I don't know if they were both born into the church. Josh quit going to church for awhile but started back up after Susan went missing.

From my own past experiences I don't think anyone would have showed up to help him move if he hadn't started going to church again.

I can answer part of that. There was an ugly protracted embittered battle when his parents divorced---waged in the courts from 1992 clear through 2003--and which included restraining orders. Not pretty. JMHO

WOW!! Boy the places the mind wanders with that information, no?

Does anyone know if any sentimental objects were able to be 'smuggled' out of his house (those who helped him pack) for the safeguarding for her kids?

Also, can someone explain the church end of it, the church helping him pack and why a bishop would be there? Sorry, don't mean to sound ignorant. I am not very familiar with Mormons/LDS (the difference between the two), let alone what is involved with divorce and how involved the church gets?

TY!

p.s. Was it here that I read that JP made a comment (as to why his hands were chapped) about testing out a compressor? ALso about how some compressors are powerful enough to dig through the roughest of terrains? See, I'm reading so much but losing track what I read where.

~~~~~~~~~~

TY! Just trying to udnerstand the statement about him 'manipulating to get rid of her yet the kids still standing by him, even into adulthood.' Is there any information about this divorce of his? Has anyone uncovered anything?

Friends of Susan's stated that Josh's father would send anti LDS pamphlets to Josh, not sure how that equates to him trying to get rid of her. I don't have the link to the article it is probably in one of the first threads. I am not sure what is meant by the kids standing by him but there are 3 adult kids living in Josh's dads house now I guess.

JP and Susan were actually married in LDS temple so my impression is that this was something he professed, and presumably was a part of his vows--then later grew weary or "waned away from" and stopped attending church. Reportedly, his father (SP) also undermined and actively discouraged his son from Mormon religion during the marriage too. This all became a bone of contention and Susan understandably gave JP a choice--there was in her journaling and conversations w friends references to having given her husband a deadline for living up to what she saw as his marital (ie spiritual responsibilities as leader of their home) under which she agreed to remain in the marriage. The timing is all very suspicious as it sounds as tho the deadline had virtually come and gone at about the time Susan vanished. Just nutshelling, this is all back in the threads in greater deail somewhere. JMO

Not sure if this has been posted or not; this is Josh's neighbor, Tim P.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSXNz2J_bLM&NR=1[/ame]

Friends of Susan's stated that Josh's father would send anti LDS pamphlets to Josh, not sure how that equates to him trying to get rid of her. I don't have the link to the article it is probably in one of the first threads. I am not sure what is meant by the kids standing by him but there are 3 adult kids living in Josh's dads house now I guess.

Are there any sisters among the 3 adults living with SP? Just the boys?
I'm interested in this generator he brought with him, I guess LE didn't get a look at it?

WOW!! Boy the places the mind wanders with that information, no...

p.s. Was it here that I read that JP made a comment (as to why his hands were chapped) about testing out a compressor? ALso about how some compressors are powerful enough to dig through the roughest of terrains? See, I'm reading so much but losing track what I read where.

(snip) You have alot of reading to catch up lol... suggest deseretnews and sltrib archives. As for your 'p.s.', when he took their boys 'camping' in sub-freezing snowstorm at midnite, JP claimed he was 'testing out a generator.' Some here were speculating for what he may have actually used this as a source of power (the earth there is frozen this time of year... so obviously difficult to dig any grave eg w/out some sort of equipment) and there were other theories also. Hope that helps.

DrFessel, sorry for the confusion. The 'manipulating to get rid of her' was in relation to Josh's dad and mom, and about their messy divorce. I can see where I was a bit vague in my post and apologise.

You can't help but wonder about his father, why he would be so interfering in his children's lives, to the point that 3 of them have moved back home with him? I don't think he is all there, either.

I also got the impression Josh wasn't close to his dad; I read elsewhere that he and his dad weren't close - and he has family living close by in Utah (sister and mom?). So why move out of state into a family member's home your not close with and possibly be estranged with all these years?

I understand that service and witnessing are big parts of the LDS faith. Having church members show up at the home to help Josh was no surprise to me. I'd gather some were there to serve; others were there to share God's word.

Jehovah Witnesses, to my understanding, is a completely different religion and is not affiliated with LDS/Mormon.

LDS are Mormons and not a break off. Josh is LDS and so was Susan. They met at a church function. I don't know if they were both born into the church. Josh quit going to church for awhile but started back up after Susan went missing.

From my own past experiences I don't think anyone would have showed up to help him move if he hadn't started going to church again.

:sick:

Thanks for posting that youtube interview, AlexisFresca, and a WhooHOO to Tim Peterson!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968