UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And did they find her? All the searches for Elizabeth Smart and Lori Hacking didn't find them either. In the end, for Elizabeth, it was a segment on AMW that brought her home. For Lori, it was a video near or at where Mark worked, that showed him dumping something large into a dumpster.

IMO, the public and LE has come to realize that large searches based on no info are rarely succesful. I'm sure their have been some, but I'm scratching my head trying to remember a single one that wasn't based on very good intel.

Naomi Arnette, 2007 in IL. Dru Sjodin, 2004 in MN. Those off the top of my head.
The truth is, it is rare to even find a missing person, but volunteer searches have found lots. Ask Tim Miller.

As for Stacy, she won't ever be found. Drew Peterson knew exactly what to do to make a body disappear, he'd been a cop for 29+ years.
What he didn't count on was the national attention that shined on the 3rd wife he killed a few years earlier, Kathleen.

Nope they did not. They had thousands out looking for Somer Thompson and they found her.

IIRC, the succesful search in that case was based on info so specific LE followed the garbage truck to another state. All the other searches were unsuccesful no?

And anyone who wants to search can. It seems we have alot of posters in Utah. LE didn't ban searches. Where would you all search?

Naomi Arnette, 2007 in IL. Dru Sjodin, 2004 in MN. Those off the top of my head.
The truth is, it is rare to even find a missing person, but volunteer searches have found lots. Ask Tim Miller.

As for Stacy, she won't ever be found. Drew Peterson knew exactly what to do to make a body disappear, he'd been a cop for 29+ years.
What he didn't count on was the national attention that shined on the 3rd wife he killed a few years earlier, Kathleen.

I'm not familiar with Naomi's case, but the succesful search for Dru was based on good intel LE had from the beginning. Near her killers relatives house or something. LE in that case had this info and had to wait till the snow melted to find her. Which I'm suspecting may be the situation in Susan's case.

People are usually not found by randomly searching for the sake of searching.

IIRC, the succesful search in that case was based on info so specific LE followed the garbage truck to another state. All the other searches were unsuccesful no?

And anyone who wants to search can. It seems we have alot of posters in Utah. LE didn't ban searches. Where would you all search?

No, they just followed the trucks on a hunch just like they searched any other place.

I'm not familiar with Naomi's case, but the succesful search for Dru was based on good intel LE had from the beginning. Near her killers relatives house or something. LE in that case had this info and had to wait till the snow melted to find her. Which I'm suspecting may be the situation in Susan's case.

There are tons of search protocols on the internet about how and where to search for the missing. I would assume one of the places to start would be where bodies are normally dumped.

No, they just followed the trucks on a hunch just like they searched any other place.

Ok, where is the hunch here? I'd like to find Susan too. If people want to search, then they should be searching.

Sure.

That's going to be a Utah Mormon thing, specifically. And it's going to largely depend on the specific ward. The problem here is that there are LOTS of community things that are organized at the ward level, but aren't necessarily religious things.

For example, every year for Halloween, we do a trunk or treat. Everyone pulls their cars up into the church parking lot at 5:30 on Halloween, and the kids go trick-or-treating from car to car. They get LOADS of candy in a safe environment, and everyone gets to talk with their neighbors. Most kids (mine included) then do their own trick-or-treating afterwards. We also do block parties from time to time. We have a big Christmas party every year. There was a Daddy-Daughter campout last year, as well as at least one Father-Son campout. None of those things have anything to do with religion - at each of the things I mentioned (not to mention a bunch that I am probably forgetting), religion is not even an underlying theme. It's just people getting together with people. When something like that comes up, I at least go to the neighbors to which I am assigned and tell them about it. In other areas I've lived, people fall through the cracks. Everyone hears about something at church, and everyone probably has good intentions to invite those they know who don't go to church. But then, we get busy, and assumptions are made that people get invited when they don't.

I don't know - does that seem invasive? I can't imagine why. But I'll tell you what - people in Utah communities that don't organize that way will tell you that they feel the LDS Church is exclusionary. So, either way, you can't please everyone. What I know is that I've never had a negative reaction to going to someone's door and inviting them to a function - even from those that almost never go. And when my non-LDS neighbor whose husband died of cancer two years ago found her driveways and walks shoveled each time it snowed (by kids in the ward) for the rest of that first winter, she seemed to think the system worked okay.

Sorry, I don't mean to be verbose. But I think it does add a little insight into why people might have turned out to help. I don't know what I would have done, to be honest. I probably wouldn't have gone. But if I had to choose, I would rather be the type of person that would go - even if it meant sometimes looking like a gullible fool.

You sound like a good-hearted person. I'm serious when I say this - maybe YOU could organize some kind of search then for Susan, or at least, get church members to start caring for the right person which would be Susan. Josh is playing you, as a church that is, and dares to even ask for help in the name of a religion he does not really practice anymore. Susan did, she walked to church with her boys that last Sunday while Josh did not.

Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel
At one point in the Stacy Peterson case they figured drew had a 2.5 hour opportunity to get rid of the body. Hundreds of volunteers searched the normal places to dump a body all around the town and outskirts in organized grid searches .

Just because Josh was gone so long does not mean he dumped her far away​

I missed that! He seems to be the worst of the lot, imo.

As for Josh, I imagine much of that time was spent driving around, possibly contacting friends or his family on his cell phone, and so on. I would hope his kids had more than just the 'smores' he fed them for breakfast (if thats even true). I wonder if he packed lunches/food for them, as we have not heard any reports of his being spotted anywhere - no fast food drive thrus, no grocery stores or other food establishments.

There are tons of search protocols on the internet about how and where to search for the missing. I would assume one of the places to start would be where bodies are normally dumped.

Well alot of bodies are dumped in the West Desert. And add all the people that go out there to commit suicide. Usually it's months before the suicides are found. And that's only because a car sitting out in the middle of nowhere brings attention. Murder victims can take years to find, if there is anything left of them.

Well alot of bodies are dumped in the West Desert. And add all the people that go out there to commit suicide. Usually it's months before the suicides are found. And that's only because a car sitting out in the middle of nowhere brings attention. Murder victims can take years to find, if there is anything left of them.

And If nobody is looking for them.

You know I really wonder if he ever even stopped driving that night and the next day. I keep thinking he was in crisis mode and hyped up. I would almost bet he thought about taking his life and his sons too at times in that drive. I think it is very lucky they all 3 made it back.

I think he was in crisis mode, too. That should mean he made plenty mistakes because he wasn't thinking clearly. I can picture him just driving around.

I agree. I have also heard a former classmate of mine (who used to be in the military) say that he would know how to hide a body and it never be recovered. Sent chills up my spine, to say the least.

You sound like a good-hearted person. I'm serious when I say this - maybe YOU could organize some kind of search then for Susan, or at least, get church members to start caring for the right person which would be Susan. Josh is playing you, as a church that is, and dares to even ask for help in the name of a religion he does not really practice anymore. Susan did, she walked to church with her boys that last Sunday while Josh did not.

Do we know for sure he asked for help on moving day, or did these people just show up at his house? Does anyone know for sure?

And If nobody is looking for them.

Well we are going to have to agree to disagree on whether a search should be happening or not. Seriously though, people that want to search should search or at least organize one.

My hunch is LE knows the area where Susan is and has to wait till the snow melts. IMO, that's the only reason her dad went home is there is nothing he can do at the moment.

If Josh did kill Susan (and I think he did), I really hope that some member of Susan's family is able to raise the boys if they desire and are capable. Some part of me even feels like there should be a law giving custody preference to the deceased parent's family when the other parent is the murderer. For example, in the Michelle Young case, I am happy that Cassidy is living with her maternal aunt instead of with her paternal side. I think it would help salve the loss. JMO

And in the Nancy Cooper case the children are with the maternal granparents in Canada.

I think he was in crisis mode, too. That should mean he made plenty mistakes because he wasn't thinking clearly. I can picture him just driving around.

Know what I find interesting? Is that we have heard no reports of anyone having seen him before coming home that day. Where on earth could he have been? Everyone knows the van he was driving. Even in other cases where there is a vehicle of interest, you get reports of possible sightings of said vehicle. Even if they are false, you hear of the sightings. In this case? Nada. Does anyone else find that odd? How could no one have spotted him driving around that day? Was he even driving around or parked somewhere just sitting there? Or did he take refuge at someone's house?

Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel
At one point in the Stacy Peterson case they figured drew had a 2.5 hour opportunity to get rid of the body. Hundreds of volunteers searched the normal places to dump a body all around the town and outskirts in organized grid searches .

Just because Josh was gone so long does not mean he dumped her far away​
I missed that! He seems to be the worst of the lot, imo.

As for Josh, I imagine much of that time was spent driving around, possibly contacting friends or his family on his cell phone, and so on. I would hope his kids had more than just the 'smores' he fed them for breakfast (if thats even true). I wonder if he packed lunches/food for them, as we have not heard any reports of his being spotted anywhere - no fast food drive thrus, no grocery stores or other food establishments.

I don't think he called anyone while he was gone. Well, maybe his father? I think he was distancing himself from what happened and was driving somewhat aimlessly around trying to justify what happened with himself, and trying to come up with a plausible story. I don't think he counted on friends/family jumping the gun so quickly and reporting them missing, i.e. the fans.

Cell phone records/pings will be very telling.

even though I haven't read much on this particular case, what idiot would take a 2 and 4 yr old child out camping in sub freezing weather? just seems a bit stupid to me.

One reason I can think of is to hide the body of your wife that you just killed. In fact that is about the only reason to go out in the middle of the freezing night with young children, to hide something.

Small correction on the Sjodin case. Her killer lived 3 miles away from where she was found. Her father had passed right near her body just weeks before. He and several others searched all winter.
They thought she was in that area because of a dog showing interest.

Yes, it is true that most bodies are not found if they are under the snow, frozen into the landscape like Susan likely is.

But people still search for them.

SAR teams, volunteers, search organizations, all have been in winter searches. Lindsey Baum's case just had a search (WA) this past weekend. Theresa Still was found last week.
I could go on but you get my drift.

IF people are willing to go out and put boots on the ground and search for Susan, then they should.

If I were in charge, I would first get dogs. I would have started the search Dec 7. I would have started with her neighborhood- on out the day there was nothing found at Simpson Springs. I would not stop until I was confident she wasn't there in the grid search. I would have sent boats with sonar (you have very good water search teams in UT) into every lake and body of water.

And if I were the cops, I would have tailed Josh on the 24/hr trip to Timbukto that he won't tell them about.

WHY WOULD HE?? He holds all the cards in this poker game.

Or, as reasonably close to the plan as possible.

And did they find her? All the searches for Elizabeth Smart and Lori Hacking didn't find them either. In the end, for Elizabeth, it was a segment on AMW that brought her home. For Lori, it was a video near or at where Mark worked, that showed him dumping something large into a dumpster.

IMO, the public and LE has come to realize that large searches based on no info are rarely succesful. I'm sure their have been some, but I'm scratching my head trying to remember a single one that wasn't based on very good intel.

The only one I can remember is Daniel van Dam (SP?) A group of volunteers literally stumbled upon her remains. They had no specific place to search so they literally started looking around all over.

This was a bit different though because the discovery did not happen on a day of a big public search.

If I remember correctly that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member