UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TY for the info. What happens if a member has no interst in participating in some of the functions offered by the ward? For example, the visiting teachers.

Like indicat said, it is voluntary. I "visit teach" someone who chooses not to come to church. We also don't visit in person but she is okay with me calling her to see how she is doing and sending her notes in the mail. If she asks me to stop calling her or writing her, I will. From our phone conversations, I know that she and I have had some of the same trials in life and I think we could be good friends. If at any time she needs help with something, I would be happy to help her.

I am also assigned a few non-LDS families in my neighborhood. I have never brought this arrangement up with them, and I've certainly never offered them any sort of "spiritual assistance" (that would seem incredibly presumptuous, on my part). I don't visit them regularly, but I am neighborly. And if I knew of needs they had, I would use the resources of the church to try and help them.

Respectfully snipped.

I'm one of those non LDS families and have personally experienced what you describe. The local ward has this uncanny ability of showing up when I'm in a crisis mode over something. They always make sure that my son is included in youth activities. Outside of occasionally asking me if I want to join them at church, they've never pushed teachings on me. Now my son is another story...lol.

Thanks for the mini Mormon education everyone.
Your religion sounds very nice, very close, very helpful.

I do help people whenever I can... but helping a POI move my friend's stuff... I couldn't do it.
Curiosity or not.

Who is 'they'? Is that a reference to law enforcement when they were searching his house, or something else?

Fresca, here's the story, originally posted by Fran

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14058397

Powell once yelled at the Petersons for taking off their shoes and socks in his home, saying he'd have to spend all night cleaning the floors from the germs on their bare feet.

Dom that's great... what about when there's a murder in the family... or a man's wife mysteriously shows up missing for weeks... or a POI who's fleeing from the questioning LE wants them to submit to... any provision or protocol for that? Or just show up and roll up the sleeves and the moving van... :woohoo:

Sorry I really don't mean any offense I'm just completely dumbfounded that despite such a reportedly closeknit, family-oriented, community there is not only no effort to require what is right, but instead to facilitate what's clearly wrong. JMO

:parrot:

Kiki I hear ya, and to be quite frank I'm dumbfounded over how this is being handled and whats going on. I live north of West Valley and in my circle of friends we don't really understand it either. There just must be more to this then what is known. I myself don't understand why there have not been big searches, even with the weather. You see that kind of stuff all the time, I will always remember seeing all the searches out looking for Elizabeth Smart, from the freeway in my car even! I just don't know what to make of this.

I find that odd. May I ask why?

Sure.

That's going to be a Utah Mormon thing, specifically. And it's going to largely depend on the specific ward. The problem here is that there are LOTS of community things that are organized at the ward level, but aren't necessarily religious things.

For example, every year for Halloween, we do a trunk or treat. Everyone pulls their cars up into the church parking lot at 5:30 on Halloween, and the kids go trick-or-treating from car to car. They get LOADS of candy in a safe environment, and everyone gets to talk with their neighbors. Most kids (mine included) then do their own trick-or-treating afterwards. We also do block parties from time to time. We have a big Christmas party every year. There was a Daddy-Daughter campout last year, as well as at least one Father-Son campout. None of those things have anything to do with religion - at each of the things I mentioned (not to mention a bunch that I am probably forgetting), religion is not even an underlying theme. It's just people getting together with people. When something like that comes up, I at least go to the neighbors to which I am assigned and tell them about it. In other areas I've lived, people fall through the cracks. Everyone hears about something at church, and everyone probably has good intentions to invite those they know who don't go to church. But then, we get busy, and assumptions are made that people get invited when they don't.

I don't know - does that seem invasive? I can't imagine why. But I'll tell you what - people in Utah communities that don't organize that way will tell you that they feel the LDS Church is exclusionary. So, either way, you can't please everyone. What I know is that I've never had a negative reaction to going to someone's door and inviting them to a function - even from those that almost never go. And when my non-LDS neighbor whose husband died of cancer two years ago found her driveways and walks shoveled each time it snowed (by kids in the ward) for the rest of that first winter, she seemed to think the system worked okay.

Sorry, I don't mean to be verbose. But I think it does add a little insight into why people might have turned out to help. I don't know what I would have done, to be honest. I probably wouldn't have gone. But if I had to choose, I would rather be the type of person that would go - even if it meant sometimes looking like a gullible fool.

Kiki I hear ya, and to be quite frank I'm dumbfounded over how this is being handled and whats going on. I live north of West Valley and in my circle of friends we don't really understand it either. There just must be more to this then what is known. I myself don't understand why there have not been big searches, even with the weather. You see that kind of stuff all the time, I will always remember seeing all the searches out looking for Elizabeth Smart, from the freeway in my car even! I just don't know what to make of this.

Didn't her disappearance take place in kinder weather? Like spring or summer? Fall even?

Does anyone feel let down that LE doesn't have any press conferences about the case, even if just revealing very little, for the sake of giving the community 'relief' and a sense of community, that they are concerned about the case?

Didn't her disappearance take place in kinder weather? Like spring or summer? Fall even?

Does anyone feel let down that LE doesn't have any press conferences about the case, even if just revealing very little, for the sake of giving the community 'relief' and a sense of community, that they are concerned about the case?

Well they search for people in much worse conditions so I don't know what to think.

Reference the E. Smart case:
She disappeared June 5, 2002
She was found Mar 12, 2003

Note: She was gone an entire fall and winter. There were searches, posters, more searches all winter long....there are plenty of days adults of reasonably good health can search in Utah when there isn't active weather as long as they are dressed appropriately.

Kiki, I snipped the parts I can anwer - I hope you don't mind.

You ask fair questions. And I don't know what is being discussed in Susan's ward. But I don't get the sense that anything is being done for Josh at Susan's expense. Look at the Elizabeth Smart thing. There were huge searches for her after she turned up missing. The same thing happened with Lori Hacking. But in both those cases, people at least had an idea as to where they should begin a search.

In both of those situations, the person responsible for the crimes turned out to be LDS men (or, in the Smart case, an ex-LDS man). Those men didn't "get off easy" for their crimes. And neither man is currently an LDS member (both have been excommunicated). In both those cases, the community mourned for the victims (and celebrated when Elizabeth Smart was found safe).

From a philosophical standpoint, people of all religions should strive to be like Christ. Christ rebuked when someone was in need of rebuke; but he served everyone, regardless of who they were. He even showed kindness to those who murdered him "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do). I'm not suggesting that any Mormon is like that. But that is the model to which we should aspire.

At one point in the Stacy Peterson case they figured drew had a 2.5 hour opportunity to get rid of the body. Hundreds of volunteers searched the normal places to dump a body all around the town and outskirts in organized grid searches .

Just because Josh was gone so long does not mean he dumped her far away.

even though I haven't read much on this particular case, what idiot would take a 2 and 4 yr old child out camping in sub freezing weather? just seems a bit stupid to me.

even though I haven't read much on this particular case, what idiot would take a 2 and 4 yr old child out camping in sub freezing weather? just seems a bit stupid to me.

I think the answer there is pretty much "an idiot trying to cover up why his wife is no longer among the living."

I think the answer there is pretty much "an idiot trying to cover up why his wife is no longer among the living."

You know I really wonder if he ever even stopped driving that night and the next day. I keep thinking he was in crisis mode and hyped up. I would almost bet he thought about taking his life and his sons too at times in that drive. I think it is very lucky they all 3 made it back.

You're completely right. So, suffice it to say, the reasons outlined are probably some of the things that motivated the people that showed up at the Powells home on Saturday.
I fully agree and I was doing it too.

You know I really wonder if he ever even stopped driving that night and the next day. I keep thinking he was in crisis mode and hyped up. I would almost bet he thought about taking his life and his sons too at times in that drive. I think it is very lucky they all 3 made it back.

Well, I guess we can at least thank God that he didn't do that. Hopefully, he will spend the rest of his life in a cell, and the boys will be raised in a home where they are unconditionally loved. If there is justice, that would probably mean them being with someone on Susan's side (Good: "I want to make sure those boys are raised well!" Bad: "I am not going to talk to you mean people, because you are vilifying my poor, murderous son!")

If Josh did kill Susan (and I think he did), I really hope that some member of Susan's family is able to raise the boys if they desire and are capable. Some part of me even feels like there should be a law giving custody preference to the deceased parent's family when the other parent is the murderer. For example, in the Michelle Young case, I am happy that Cassidy is living with her maternal aunt instead of with her paternal side. I think it would help salve the loss. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7